• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper Movie - First Details

Cassovia

I hope they change the characters design but more importantly lets hope there is new game around that time. It would be wise from promotional stand point.

what
the
fuck

Who thought these characters needed redesigns?

Is there really anyone who would find the rightmost versions more appealing?

the proportion of the movie design is a bit off in that pic, but I really like how Sly look in the other 2 shots.

Murray is unfortunate, I just can't imagine Murray game personality/voice on the movie design look.

sn00zer

what
the
fuck

I think Sly looks probably the best he ever has in 3d...*shrug*...other guys have seen much better days

guys, ReBoot was over a decade ago and most of this company's recent movies have been Barbie. what makes you think a great deal of the people who worked on ReBoot are actually still around?

2516508-5567548374-Fh3ro.gif

Oh my god, two different people have TWO different opinions!

The movie designs look weird as hell, especially Murray's. I feel like this would have been better served as a 2D animated film, or at least with a style more consistent with the games.

What is it with Sony wanting to make films out of these videogames at the moment? Or maybe I should be asking; who did this Kevin Munroe sleep with to get all this work?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I always thought Sly would make a great cartoon series, in the vein of the 90s Disney stuff, but I suppose no one really makes those anymore.

What is it with Sony wanting to make films out of these videogames at the moment?
I would assume they see potential profits... and a chance to expand the potential audience for some of their games.

Camjo-Z

the proportion of the movie design is a bit off in that pic, but I really like how Sly look in the other 2 shots.

I admit Sly is the least terrible, I don't think the new look fits his "badass wisecracking thief" personality at all but I could at least deal with it. Murray and Bentley are just painful to look at though. I don't know why they would take a series known for its cel-shaded comic book style and turn them all into freaky pseudo-realistic critters.

Castcoder

Banned
Honestly a cel-shaded film would be interesting but the cel shading in Sly was a method used to work around the limitations of the PS2. I'm open to a fresh take on Sly. Sure it's not going to break box office numbers, but it could spawn a stronger following and bring us more Sly games.

What is it with Sony wanting to make films out of these videogames at the moment? Or maybe I should be asking; who did this Kevin Munroe sleep with to get all this work?

I assume Sony don't have any plan to make movies out of these games and this Munroe guy just come offering to buy the license for movies. so I guess Sony think rather than just letting these character to die forgotten like that, may as well try to make money out of it by licensing it for movies. who knows, maybe the movie will bring awareness to these characters and they can make games for it again.

Loudninja

I always thought Sly would make a great cartoon series, in the vein of the 90s Disney stuff, but I suppose no one really makes those anymore.

I would assume they see potential profits... and a chance to expand the potential audience for some of their games.
Yeah its a good time, new hardware with hopefully new Ratchet and Clank and Sly game launching near the movies.

RedBoot

What is it with Sony wanting to make films out of these videogames at the moment?

Sony Pictures needs to make money. With the right release date, a family-targeted CGI film can make $30-40 million on opening weekend by default. These films also have the advantage of their built-in audiences from the games.

Look at that Nut Job movie in theatres right now. Terrible reviews, but already on pace to make its budget back.

Sony Pictures needs to make money. With the right release date, a family-targeted CGI film can make $30-40 million on opening weekend by default. These films also have the advantage of their built-in audiences from the games.

Look at that Nut Job movie in theatres right now. Terrible reviews, but already on pace to make its budget back.

I don't think this is made by Sony Pictures. this deal is strictly SCE licensing it's franchise to other studio. if money is made from this, it goes to SCE and not Sony Pictures I think.

Oh my god, two different people have TWO different opinions!

If people agree it's hivemind, if they don't, this is neogaf. I swear, it makes no sense.

I guess if they have an opinion, they complain when people disagree. When they don't have one, they can't make up their minds because there's no concensus.

RedBoot

I don't think this is made by Sony Pictures. this deal is strictly SCE licensing it's franchise to other studio. if money is made from this, it goes to SCE and not Sony Pictures I think.

Bleh, so much for that. Oh well. At least we're bound to get a new Sly game out of this.

guys, ReBoot was over a decade ago and most of this company's recent movies have been Barbie. what makes you think a great deal of the people who worked on ReBoot are actually still around?

Believe it or not, William Lau was a very key player in the 90's with the best of their shows, he directed Beast Machines even, and he did the Barbie and Max Steel movies in recent years until like 2012 when he left to appropriately go to Nerd Corps.

Mona

Banned
1. aight, i'll give the movie a chance, the story and characters were actually really compelling parts of the games,

2. nice fidelity on the model, if you give me those graphics on Sly 5 im so fucking sold.

3. please give me dat video game movie justice

4. wtf did they do to murray? whos the clot that designed that? and i cant really tell how Bentley looks, but he seems ok.

RE_Player

Opening day baby. So excited. Whether it's great or terrible I'm just super curious how this IP, that is one of my favs, will be translated to the big screen.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
The guy did Dylan Dig? One of the worst movies of all time and most definitely one of the top 3 worst badly butchered and disrespectful adaptations EVER.

sn00zer

I think Bentley and Murray arent quite finalized due to the lack of a hi res screen...they are more than willing to show off sly (who looks great)

Ramenman

Sad they wouldn't use the actual stylization of the series.

I'm not an expert of the games but it seems to be they were never "realistic" CG like this, so having them switch to that for a movie for the first time is always going to look awkward...

Salex_

If people agree it's hivemind, if they don't, this is neogaf. I swear, it makes no sense.

I guess if they have an opinion, they complain when people disagree. When they don't have one, they can't make up their minds because there's no concensus.
Why are you jumping to conclusions? It's interesting seeing 2 back to back comments showing strong opposing opinions. Loosen the fuck up.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
Sad they wouldn't use the actual stylization of the series.

I'm not an expert of the games but it seems to be they were never "realistic" CG like this, so having them switch to that for a movie for the first time is always going to look awkward...

It was definitely jarring at first, but the Sly model is growing on me. If this were a new IP and if the PS4 game were to have visuals close to that, I'm pretty sure many jaws would be dropped.

Why are you jumping to conclusions? It's interesting seeing 2 back to back comments showing strong opposing opinions. Loosen the fuck up.

Sorry, I just thought you'd give your own opinion after playing with others. Guess you're more interested in messing around. I'm just used to seeing that happen, but I guess that might be seen as a good delivery by some.

Since I didnt provide my own opinion and you might ask me about it (which is only fair), I'll say it looks like they're a technically capable but artistically lacking studio.

Oh, and I apologize for picking on you. I saw others did the same "joke" but didn't feel like editing my post to include those.

PaulloDEC

Wow, definitely didn't see this one coming.

Can't say I'm sold on the character designs; Murray looks weird (as previously noted by everyone here) and there's some really strange stuff going on with Sly. The face in the closeup seems alright; different, but not bad. The long shot on the other hand looks super strange, like a cartoon raccoon's face on a weirdly human body:

jbkIE4VjwOeo0F.jpg

I'd have preferred something in the style of the Thieves in Time short-film (again, like almost everyone else here). Then again, maybe this thing will turn out great and we'll all be in for a pleasant surprise.

Piccoro

what
the
fuck

You're right, it's weird.
Especially after that Rachet and Clank trailer where they use the same models as the games...

Why isn't Sony pictures animation making this? I never even heard of these studios.

I find it weird as well as you'd think Sony's divisions would work more closely together.

Know what's freaky? Three of Sony Pictures Animation's games have been Nintendo exclusive:

Smurfs Dance Party, published by Ubisoft and developed by Land Ho (also behind Just Dance Kids) was a Wii and DS exclusive.

Hotel Transylvania, published by Gamemill and developed by Wayforward was a 3DS and DS exclusive.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 again published by Gamemill but this time developed by 1st Playable Productions was also a 3DS and DS exclusive.

My mind hurts as well.

What have they done to the characters? They were perfect the way they were, but now they've been transformed into something hideous. That's not a good start.

Top Bottom