• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper Movie - First Details

The rest looks good just fix murray, i have no problem with the Sly or Bently design. Still rather had seen a Sly saturday morning cartoon show.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Looks like they made them look even more real.

I don't have a problem with this considering the high fidelity of the CG.

As a fan of the games I am definitely excited and so will my kids.

Rlan

A Sly movie sounds cool. But why must Sony hate the Jak IP :/

Sly Cooper and Ratchet & Clank are reasonably easy to create into films - with R&C it's a retelling of the original. With Sly, it's probably an origin story too.

What the fuck would they do with Jak? Start at Precursor Legacy where he's a mute living in a nice, green world, where later on he'll be thrown into the future, tortured, filled with Dark Eco and have to save his younger self and send him back to the past? Come on.

Nev

Banned
Well that doesn't look that bad. I mean the CGI quality is surprisingly good, but for the love of god, why would you turn cartoon characters into semi-realistic uncanny beings? How can you turn such charming and well designed characters (Sly especially is an awesome character):
rsz_sly.jpg

into these realistic atrocities? It's supposed to be some kind of sunday morning cartoon and the games translated that well with cell-shading and great artstyle, so what is with these horrid redesigns? I mean a hoodie? pants? boots? really?

Such a shame, because this franchise sure is appropiate for a decent animation movie. But with these redesigns, hell no.

Ok, it looks way, way better in motion. And the dialogue certainly fits the never hilarious but consistently amusing style of the games. Just don't make the games take this route graphically.

Sly looks alright, Bentley looks great actually and of course, like everyone else said, Murray looks like complete ass. Does he have a fucking tumor on his neck or something? Go fix him up and make him look like his in game design. Seriously, he looks hideous. Still, looking forward how this turns out.

Camjo-Z

Alright, now I can safely cast final judgement:

1. Um... was there something wrong with Sly's voice from the games? Really weird to have the other two VAs return and not Kevin Miller. This new guy doesn't do a much better job or anything either.

2. Bentley manages to be the only character mostly unscathed, I preferred his comical "dot eyes behind thick glasses" look but they probably changed this so he'd be more expressive so it's understandable. Sly is ok, but he's lost his jovial, mischevious look in favor of a persistent angry smirk that doesn't quite sit well with me, and Murray, as we all have said, still looks like shit.

3. Animation was decent, and the humor seems to be roughly on par with what's seen in the games. They did well on that part.

Overall, I'm sure I'll end up enjoying it once it releases but I don't think I'll be able to get over those designs. Hopefully this teaser was released early enough that they can make some tweaks based on fan feedback.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I think this is the whole point of these movies, getting them to be more popuplar. Kids love CGI movie characters more than anything, this is the best chance for the Sony to make those guys more recognizible.

I don't know about his popularity, but the characters themselves are well designed and developed through the games, and they poke around problematic themes (disability and obesity) as well as classical positive ones (friendship and teamwork) making them basically perfect from a storytelling point of view. In other words: they are winning characters that can (and did) push a franchise marred by very questionable gameplay choices, so why not make a movie over them?

WTF happened to Murray? Edit: saw the trailer, Murray redeemed.

Thanks for the honest replies guys, its much appreciated!

SSReborn

I didn't really like it from the images but the trailer makes it look a lot better I hope it turns out great. According to the leak from way back when that means Jak and Modnation are still to be announced?

I am baffled that people could find this a good idea, but good for anyone who does. I do hope it turns out to be a great movie but have absolutely zero expectation that will be the case.

Is anyone worried making a bunch of CGI movies will hurt Sony's branding as the other "cool, adult" videogame company after years of telling everyone how kiddy Nintendo is? Unless we think these movies are going to be either of these things?

MS' Halo movie and show are more likely to hit those buzzwords in my opinion but will also probably be terrible.

zeemumu

Sly's design looks fine, Bentley's is meh (it's the fact that you can see his eyes that throws me off), and Murray's...his could use some work. He's got a T-shirt tan in the trailer so I'm guessing he's not going to be rocking the wifebeater the whole time. Also, he needs his goggles. Designs aside, this movie looks promising. The designs aren't completely movie breaking. I like the voice acting and the animation, especially on Sly's freerunning.

But of course, there are two important character designs that we still need to see...
Carmelita_fox_looking_into_the_distant.jpg

and
Clockwerk-recon.png

Lijik

Oh god what the fuck have they done to Murray? Sly looks really baby faced too, but not as bad as Murray.

EDIT: Going from that little info, they're trying to mess with his origin story too? Sly always knew that he came from a family of thieves. I guess they're kind of trying to follow the first game but making a few changes to make it so there's a bit more drama. The first game is about Sly's revenge for what Clockwerk did to his parents and stealing his family's heirloom The Thievius Raccoonus.

Cant wait for the Jak and Daxter revised origin movie in 2018

SFenton

remember that leaked document last saying that sony were looking to make

Sly Ratchet & Jak Movies , so now we have 2 out 3 all bets are on its coming now

what if
guys, what if
what if sony pulled an avengers and made a sonyverse

and then Nihilistic can help on the PlayStation Heroes movie

It looks good so far from the trailer. I agree that Murray looks off but hopefully this is still production work and can be changed in a nother year or so before they put it out.

It's what you should expect from a Sly Cooper movie. Similar humour, same voice actors(+-), same tone and feel. If you're going to make a game into a movie this is how it should be done.

I personally think it looks great, having done all four games in a row after falling in love with the first game and having a tremendous love for the series this is what I would have wanted from the movie.

Will I see it? Probably not. Looking forward to the game that accompanies the movie.

Sly's design looks fine, Bentley's is meh (it's the fact that you can see his eyes that throws me off), and Murray's...his could use some work. He's got a T-shirt tan in the trailer so I'm guessing he's not going to be rocking the wifebeater the whole time. Also, he needs his goggles. Designs aside, this movie looks promising. The designs aren't completely movie breaking. I like the voice acting and the animation, especially on Sly's freerunning.

But of course, there are two important character designs that we still need to see...
Carmelita_fox_looking_into_the_distant.jpg

and
Clockwerk-recon.png

they are so going to over designed Clockwerk and make it look transformer-ey

Carmelita seems like it'd be an easy transition, probably more clothes to cover more fur.

That trailer was good. It captured the feel of the games perfectly. Sly's voice actor made his voice a bit more smooth an cocky this time, which works.

I'll go see it day 1 in the theaters. R&C and Jak and Daxter as well.

Top Bottom