• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper Movie - First Details

Loudninja

+ Brad Foxhoven on January 28th, 2014 at 1:42 pm said:
Thank you for the comment. We looked into the cel shaded style, but it just didn’t hold up on the big screen. For TV, sure – just not a theatrical film. Together, with Sucker Punch and Sony, we decided to go the CG route. Everyone was involved in this decision, and we all like the way its turning out.
We will continue to tweak and improve upon the characters as we enter production.
+ Brad Foxhoven on January 28th, 2014 at 1:36 pm said:
Sucker Punch and Sony do have quite a bit of input, and approval over these designs. We appreciate the fans feedback, and will make sure to address them on into the production.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/28/sly-cooper-animated-film-revealed/#comment-942573

RytGear

What the heck? They get Murray and Bentley's original VAs but they don't get Kevin Miller for Sly? That's weird.

I presume that Kevin Miller was either unavailable or refused to do it, ultimately I didn't actually pick up that it was a different VA until you mentioned it so it sounds close enough.

It's disappointing that Sly's original VA was glossed over, but the new guy fits him pretty well, if not identically. He might even fit the role better, as crazy as that sounds. Maybe there was a range the old VA couldn't hit?

Anyway, the realistic designs are growing on me a little. Still wouldn't have been my first choice though. I wish Bently's glasses were still whitened, it's really strange to see his full face. They can still get a level of expressiveness with morphing the glasses around, ala the invisible man in Hotel Translvania, or Dexter from Dexter's Lab. With Murray's bloated neck, I imagine they're tapping into a Hippo's actual structure.
Bristol.zoo_.pygmy_.hippo_.arp_.jpg

There's a better middle ground they can achieve though.

CamHostage

Sad to see the cel shading go (and Bentley loses some charm with visible eyeballs) but I'm overall encouraged by the look. It could have been a whole lot worse, that's for sure. The characters display a good amount of charm and style even with the change towards a more realistic look, hopefully they keep it at this level or better in the final work.

Kimppis

So the franchise isn't dead? Great. But still, why are they making a Sly movie?! The series isn't popular at all. And that art style is pretty horrible. That movie has potential to become pretty big here in the nordic countries (Sly games are massive sellers here, believe it or not), though.

daman824

I have a really bad feeling this and the Rachet movie are going to be two more of those "12% on rotten tomatoes" cgi movies that come out every once in a while (see the nut job). CGI looks a bit dissapointing for something that's coming out in two or more years.

Mikey Jr.

So the franchise isn't dead? Great. But still, why are they making a Sly movie?! The series isn't popular at all. And that art style is pretty horrible. That movie has potential to become pretty big here in the nordic countries (Sly games are massive sellers here, believe it or not), though.

wut?

Kimppis

Haha, I meant that they are not popular in the big markets... You know, in the countries that actually matter. In this case, the US and large European countries. In other words, Sly isn't a million seller, not even close. So yeah, I though that they wouldn't necessarily make a new game (etc.), because Thieves in Time sold like 100k, or something...

EDIT: Now that I watched the trailer, it doesn't look that bad. I still can't understand why they changed the style, though.

abrack08

I think the trailer looks great, I'm cautiously excited. This may actually be the kick I need to play the Sly games, I've always wanted to but only ever played like half of the first one. As for Murray... he's a pink hippo. I mean, the big throat bulge or whatever looks dumb, but it's not earth shatteringly horrible to me. He looks about as appealing as his game design other than that. Love Bentley and Sly's look.

Apart from the look of The Murray, that was pretty good. Didn't mind the voice change for Sly either, although it would have been nice to stay the same.
Really happy they kept the voices for Bentley etc. though as I can't imagine them sounding any different, Sly has a much less expressive voice so the change isn't as noticeable.

Trailer was better than I was expecting, but, still:
1261.gif

Those character designs.

Bentley looks the best, but he still looks...not great.

Sly has a semi-permanent douche-face, new VA is alright until his voice goes too deep.

Murray...I haven't the words.

Ivan 3414

I think I know why they replaced Sly's voice actor but kept Murray's and Bentley's.

Sly's original voice actor wasn't very good. He really lacked emotion ever since the first game and he never improved.

If this Facebook fanpage post is legit, Kevin Miller wasn't asked to reprise his role, despite him pushing for an animated project for Sly Cooper.

And if it is legit, then the poor guy got Kung Fu'd.
Teaser trailer made me feel a bit better after Murray and Sly's god awful redesigns since it was otherwise close to the mark out of what you'd want from the series, but this is a total crock of shit if true.

Celebrity voices being cast in animated films just for the name recognition is a really annoying trend I assumed was starting to die off.

Tagg9

If this Facebook fanpage post is legit, Kevin Miller wasn't asked to reprise his role, despite him pushing for an animated project for Sly Cooper.

And if it is legit, then the poor guy got Kung Fu'd.

Woah, that is some bullshit right there. I assumed Kevin Miller turned it down or something.

It's not even like they got someone famous - I haven't even heard of Ian James Corlett before! Time to make some noise and demand the role is given to Kevin.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

that looks good!

but why is Goku dressed up like a Raccoon???

i think Murray looks a little goofy because they gave him a big double chin. he looks fine at different angles, and the animation is actually pretty good and feels like the games.

i dont remember really liking Sly's voice all that much from the games. i think this guy is a little better at it, plus... its Goku.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why do they have pants?

Man you can't understand how much i'm disgusted by modern 2d and 3d cartoon movies, with their limited palette of standardized expressions, they are so unbearable!

Yes because posters tell all the expressions modern animated films have, rather than the film itself. Forget about how KFP managed to blend wuxia martial arts perfectly in animation (something impossible in the past, mind you), the panda in the poster is making an obnoxious smile.

I enjoyed the trailer but I can't unsee the dreamworks smirk.

*cringe*

Yes because posters tell all the expressions modern animated films have, rather than the film itself. Forget about how KFP managed to blend wuxia martial arts perfectly in animation (something impossible in the past, mind you), the panda in the poster is making an obnoxious smile.

Yeah dismissing an entire studio's output based on crappy posters is pretty stupid. The "Dreamworks face" bullshit only applies to the marketing, which IS lame, but it's not indicative of the movies at all. And as for Sly I don't know WTF people are seeing, there's no DW face here. Sly winks/salutes at the cops as he escapes... ok...

Questionable character designs aside, I feel like the trailer looks pretty snazzy:

Awesome gifs.

Agreed on the second part especially. Thought the trailer looked great overall and in atmosphere and loved the coloring. Coloring/lighting-wise with the nice purple for the night it even looks/feels quite a bit like the PS3 Sly animated E3 teaser.

I really like the way Sly's new model and face animates in the trailer and in those gifs from it, so I think the design looks quite good in action.

Bentley looks fine, and I don't really mind Murray from most angles but as someone else mentioned maybe they'll have to tweak the double chin at least a bit which I also think is contributing to the reaction since it's so different from before. Maybe trim it in half so it's not as pronounced and then tweak the rest if needed to balance the change?

Veldin

Questionable character designs aside, I feel like the trailer looks pretty snazzy:

Damn, I just really love all of the movement and facial animation in those shots.

I'm overjoyed looking at all of this. First it was Ratchet, and now Sly? They're two of my favorite IPs and their teaser trailers both look fucking amazing. I can see why some might have issues with Murray's design but Sly and Bentley seem just about perfect to me. Only strange thing about Bentley is that we can actually see his eyes behind his glasses, but I can understand why they chose to do that.

Five

Banned
I think the trailer looks really good art and animation wise. I enjoyed the humor in it as well. I'm excited, but can't get too worked up just yet because it's so far away.

Top Bottom