• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper Movie - First Details

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Another waste of money by Sony.

Dreamworks face.
DreamworksSmirk.jpg
Man you can't understand how much i'm disgusted by modern 2d and 3d cartoon movies, with their limited palette of standardized expressions, they are so unbearable!

Hmm, I almost think Murray's design is so that his eyes are roughly the same size as everyone else's.

It's a little off putting since we're used to the bigger eyes, but I think I can get used to it.

jett

D-Member
I think it looks pretty decent, some effort is being put into it. The director may have made Dylan Dog, but he also made the CGI TMNT movie, which I personally liked all things considered.

I hope they have somebody different doing the turtle's voice when it's all done. It just grated on me.

That's like the best part. That's Bentley's voice. Been that voice since Sly 1. It's a positive sign for the movie that they haven't needlessly replaced him (yet).

Musolf815

Is this what's crashing GAF?

Anyways, I'm happy as this is hopefully good for the IP. I want Kevin Miller to voice Sly though, it seems wrong to only get 2 of the 3 originals.

Wow, I was expecting something terrible after seeing the first few pages and it turned out to look great! Very nicely animated and it has that dark Sly Cooper aesthetic. I love the art style. Good trailer. Besides, the team (well, some anyway) behind Reboot are behind this so I have confidence.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
To be fair...sly smirks all the time in the games

Plus that Dreamworks face example can't seem to decide on what face is the Dreamworks face. I always thought it was one eyebrow up and a smirk with one side of the mouth, but donkey and will smith fish clearly aren't doing that.

Is this what's crashing GAF?

Anyways, I'm happy as this is hopefully good for the IP. I want Kevin Miller to voice Sly though, it seems wrong to only get 2 of the 3 originals.

I don't think so... I wonder what is?

it's weird since once second 9000+ is viewing the Gaming section... another second it drops down to 100+

Drago

The new designs were a real turn off at first (especially Murray) but the teaser sold me.

Now all we need is a Jak and Daxter movie!

zeemumu

I still want to see that Clockwerk design, if any. Any news on what the story is yet?

Edit: Okay, it's a movie adaptation of the first game.

What's this about Clockwerk being...RUSSIAN?

B.O.O.M

I thought the trailer looked great! Murray looks weird still tho but not as bad as the first screenshot

Will definitely watch this

Shaanyboi

Banned
Yeah, but his TMNT movie was surprisingly good and true to the old movies

...it looked nice, but it made no sense at all.

Also I don't know why this exists. As someone in the Vancouver animation industry, I'm glad Rainmaker is getting more work outside of Barbie movies now, but I honestly don't see why Sony is going ahead with this. Sly, Ratchet etc. seem like fine videogame characters. Fairly static but look and move real nice and serve a good function, but nothing more. It's like when people say they want a Zelda movie. What's the point?

Either this is a move of total desperation or someone at Sony has a LOT of faith in these brands.

sn00zer

The new designs were a real turn off at first (especially Murray) but the teaser sold me.

Now all we need is a Jak and Daxter movie!
I dont see that happening for a LOOOONG while (ie. never)
Ratchet and Clank as well as Sly both had games come out fairly recently, and look to have sequels in the future....Ratchet movie is using a lot of assets provided by Insomniac and is being done as a sort of joint effort (save money) and Sly seems to be using a TON of left over assets from the TMNT movie (at this point it could change) so I imagine its pretty cheap for them as well....
Jak on the other hand hasnt had a new game in years, and most of the art assets that need to be made would be more organic and alien-like, like plant life and such which I imagine is much harder to do, on top of the fact that Naughty Dog is busy working on othr stuff and couldnt contribute as much as Insomniac to the creation process (they are already split into two teams)
So unless another Jak game is coming in the forseeable future (its not) then I wouldnt expect a movie...ever

Lijik

Kind of let it sink in and Im not really a big fan of the general art direction. Feels too generic and safe for a series with a visual look more akin to something like Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

RobbieNick

Ratchet and Clank
Sly Cooper
Sonic (Movie web domains bought by Sony so highly likely)
Jax

2015 + Is the generation of CGI animated movies based on video game mascots?

sn00zer

...it looked nice, but it made no sense at all.

Also I don't know why this exists. As someone in the Vancouver animation industry, I'm glad Rainmaker is getting more work outside of Barbie movies now, but I honestly don't see why Sony is going ahead with this. Sly, Ratchet etc. seem like fine videogame characters. Fairly static but look and move real nice and serve a good function, but nothing more. It's like when people say they want a Zelda movie. What's the point?

Either this is a move of total desperation or someone at Sony has a LOT of faith in these brands.

I think the only reason Im at least a little hopeful for these movies is
1. They are being made in some sort of conjunction with the game studios
2. Sony Computer Entertainment is overseeing them not Sony Pictures

I dont think they will be great, but I think at the very least they will be entertaining, there will be a few laughs, and they'll be fun diversions. Heavenly Sword movie looks like crap though no matter which way you cut it

what
the
fuck

Who thought these characters needed redesigns?

Is there really anyone who would find the rightmost versions more appealing?

Exactly. Animation needs to understand the importance of character design. Look at films like Lupin the 3rd, just by looking at the characters you understand what kind of role they play. The Sly designs on the left work at translating these characters; Looking at this redesigned lineup, it seems like they missed the mark.

Toparaman

Banned
Another waste of money by Sony.

Man you can't understand how much i'm disgusted by modern 2d and 3d cartoon movies, with their limited palette of standardized expressions, they are so unbearable!

Nah, that's mainly just Dreamworks. Besides, old-school Disney had plenty of standardized expressions.

zeemumu

The last set of levels in Sly 1 where you fight Clockwerk are in Russia.

Yeah but I wasn't aware that Clockwerk himself was Russian. I thought that he just set up shop there because it was a heavily secluded area and he needed something to power his
very breakable death ray.
When it said Russian, I was picturing Clockwerk with a robot Zangief style accent instead of his creepy emotionless one.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'm not really fussed about the Murray redesign; I've always thought he was a pretty dumb character design to begin with, hardly toasting a sacred cow to do something drastic with him. Looks fine in motion.

Sly, however, went from a nice iconic Robin Hood-ish rogue look to a "Hey, what are the kids into? Cargo pants and hoodies, those are cool, right?" street urchin. The little goatee jutting out looks dopey, too. And like someone said, his model has a heavy funk of raccoon head copy-pasted on a human body.

Lijik

Its kind of funny that Sony's in-house studio has been bucking that trend
Not expressions, but the sets in Cloudy 2 feel more like a cartoon than any other recent CG film I can think of.

It probably helps that a chunk of people working at cartoon network in the 90s are working there now - Genndy Tartakovsky, Craig Kellman, and David Feiss off the top of my head have all had major production roles in the studio's past two films

I feel like Sony Animation would have done a killer job with a Sly film

What people think Sly Cooper looks like in the games

How Sly Cooper actually looks in the game

I dont think his original design translates well to 3d even in the newest game

That PS2 model is pretty faithful considering its running on the ps2
Nothing about Sly's design shouldnt work in 3D, hes basically an incredibles character with fur.

So, what's the problem with Murray? That he doesn't look like he does in the games?

the angle he's at in the picture makes him look like a ribbitting bullfrog. He looks better in motion, but still jarring. Too realistically hippoish for an anthropomorphic cartoon character, whereas Bently doesn't look like what a real turtle/human genetic experiment would look like.

Top Bottom