• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper Movie - First Details

2516508-5567548374-Fh3ro.gif

Stop the presses, people have different opinions! (Incorrect use of the Gif sir)

As for the movie, it all looks pretty great, except Murray, who looks terribad.

NyMartin

Banned
This looks awesome, I don't understand the hate. In the stills it looks bad but in motion it looks really good and the jokes definitely bring back memories of the games.

Loudninja

This franchise also has a lot of characters. Who are you focusing on for this film?

We don't want to give up too much at this point, but it definitely revolves around Sly, Bentley and Murray. Carmelita will also be in the film--but as for the villains, outside of announcing Clockwerk, we intend on keeping that area a secret for now.
How might this film tie into new Sly games?

We cannot comment on what Sony does on the game end, but we know they are supportive of the film and all options are available to them.
http://www.shacknews.com/article/82841/sly-cooper-movie-2016

Camjo-Z

This franchise also has a lot of characters. Who are you focusing on for this film?

We don't want to give up too much at this point, but it definitely revolves around Sly, Bentley and Murray. Carmelita will also be in the film--but as for the villains, outside of announcing Clockwerk, we intend on keeping that area a secret for now.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/82841/sly-cooper-movie-2016

I'm sure we can expect Dimitri to appear, complete with some Greasy Sweet™ music.

Begaria

So. We've got a Ratchet & Clank movie coming as well as Sly Cooper. I'm going to go out on a pretty thin limb here and say that we're likely to receive a CG Uncharted movie. How redundant would that be? Heh.

Tagg9

The teaser trailer was surprisingly good... much better than the one for Ratchet. Apart from the Murray stuff, all of the humor was spot on.

Ezalc

I'm sure we can expect Dimitri to appear, complete with some Greasy Sweet™ music.

The movie's plot from the OP seemed to somewhat follow the events of the first game. If that's the case Dimitri isn't showing up in this movie unless they retcon or make some half ass attempt to shoehorn him into it.

The trailer's comedy was fine. Seeing Bentley's eyes was really weird. Sly's voice sounds odd as well and I still maintain that he looks really baby faced and there's something off with the way he looks but nothing awful. Murray looks godawful though, looks almost like some stereotypical white trash character especially with that wifebeater. Jesus.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Murray looks kinda weird, but the trailer actually made me a little bit excited. Could be cool.

What in the divine fuck did they do to these characters?

I would have loved to see a high quality cel-shaded feature film in the style of the games. IMO the character designs have always walked a fine line stylistically due to the proportions of the bodies matched with the cartoon animal faces. The new CGI designs just take it way too far with the realism and it's getting pretty uncanny valley.

Which is a shame seeing as how close to the original vision the Ratchet movie is looking. This looks...not as good.

Camjo-Z

The movie's plot from the OP seemed to somewhat follow the events of the first game. If that's the case Dimitri isn't showing up in this movie unless they retcon or make some half ass attempt to shoehorn him into it.

I considered that, but these same guys are making the Ratchet movie and that has Dr. Nefarious in it despite being an origin story that roughly follows the plot of the first game as well.

Can they just, like... add cel shading?

has there been any mainstream cell shading movie in US? seems like all the kid CG movies from Pixar, Dreamworks, Sony Pictures etc are all use the usual 3d lool, not cell shading. I think dead space straight to dvd use cell shading. but again, that's not showing in theaters .

Village

Murray oh jesus.

I think everything else looks alright though.

DaxterRebootArt610.jpg

this is actually concept for Jak And Daxter Reboot The Movie: The Game. lol

I don't see the problem here.

I think this would have been one of those Neogaf specific issues if it would have happened.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
awful redesign for the cast.

Hopefully Sony is saving their top dog (Sony Pictures Animation) for Jak CGI movie.

Ezalc

I considered that, but these same guys are making the Ratchet movie and that has Dr. Nefarious in it despite being an origin story that roughly follows the plot of the first game as well.

Ugh that's awful. Why do they feel the need to fuck up a story.

scoobs

I'm having a really difficult time understanding anyone thinking this (or Ratchet and Clank for that matter) makes a good wide-release movie. Who is their target audience exactly? Children have no clue of these franchises... so I guess mid-20's males? How many 20-something guys do you know that are dying to see an animated CG film? .... Sony wtf are you doing

Theecliff

Banned
I'm having a really difficult time understanding anyone thinking this (or Ratchet and Clank for that matter) makes a good wide-release movie. Who is their target audience exactly? Children have no clue of these franchises... so I guess mid-20's males? How many 20-something guys do you know that are dying to see an animated CG film? .... Sony wtf are you doing
Why would children need to know what the franchise is?

tookhster

Uh, quite a lot actually. Especially with movies like Frozen making them more worthwhile.

I think this was a perfect teaser. It still has the same type of dialogue and humor from the games, and for people complaining about the redesign - come on, they're going for a wide audience, not just gamers. The Pixar-y/Dreamworks-ish look is for casual people and kids to see and realize "oh, that's the new animated flick coming out." I laughed when someone here was disappointed it wasn't cel shaded.

I think anyone wanting more Sly games should love this development. Animated movies sell (as as been mentioned earlier) like crazy. The more money this makes, the more value the Sly franchise has. The more value the Sly franchise has, the more likely Sony are to make more Sly games.

that's the point, to expand their userbase from the 20 something guys who already know the franchise and then get young kids to get to know them too. the more kids who are exposed to the character because of the movie, the better chance they have to get those kids playing the game .

sn00zer

Hopefully there is time to fix Murray...other than that looks and sounds great
kopefully the world looks stylized and doesnt just use TMNT assets

Top Bottom