• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SM3DW sells 107k in Japan, lowest 3D Mario debut ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabprems

Hopefully this means an end to all of those "haha PS4/XBONE 1st adopters wasted their money; only Nintendo offers real value" articles from media outlets

You mean the 5 articles that were positive about the Wii U in the last two years ??
Oh man, the hate is strong on Gaf :lol

Animal

Banned
I suspect it might be because there simply aren't enough systems sold to pull the same numbers. Anyone got any console sold units numbers in Japan for those launches?

coldone

PS3 without HDD is selling for $149 during BF sales. Why is WiiU so much more expensive. WiiU will sell really well, if it is priced lower than PS3.

Don't get your hopes down people. As much as I want to see blood and salt, we have to understand that Japan is a non-market and the game may see much better numbers in America.

Tesseract

Banned
auqR8O8.gif

phanphare

Banned
Hopefully this means an end to all of those "haha PS4/XBONE 1st adopters wasted their money; only Nintendo offers real value" articles from media outlets

considering those articles are mostly coming from the US and these numbers are for Japan I'd say there is no correlation between the two

wrowa

Well, that was to be expected. It's rather obvious that the Mario game on the lowest-selling Nintendo console will also debut with the lowest numbers. Still a shame, of course. It's worse that 3D World failed to give the Wii U any kind of significant bump, though.

Overreaction much? They only have an Install base of 1 million people in Japan. 1/10 Is a pretty good attach rate by any standard. One game is not going to suddenly sell a Million Wii U's over night.

kitsuneyo

Mario and Taiko failed. This is bad. Wii U needs a phenomenal new game on the Pokemon scale to save it. And that probably isn't happening.

xPhinehas

What has happened to Japan? Has Japan always had crappy sales for consoles and console games? I know handhelds are popular.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What has happened to Japan? Has Japan always had crappy sales for consoles and console games? I know handhelds are popular.

After the PS2 is when it really tanked.

The Wii did very well, but only with select software. The PS2 had very broadbase sales of many types of software, whereas by the Wii/PS3 time the DS had largely killed that.

DaBoss

Mario 64 DS probably had a smaller install base to sell to considering it was out at the system's launch.
But launch titles generally do well and have many people buying whatever games are available for something to play.
I agree, but it still ended up not floating the system.

3D World I have to imagine is largely a subset of people who went and played that, just given the sheer volume 2D Mario can sell.
Yea, definitely agree with those points.
Poor console/software sales won't stop the media from writing opinionated articles.
That might be an interesting point; does anyone know how well Sonic Galaxy did on its first week?
Bombed terribly.

jmls1121

Banned
Come on, now. They haven't even been trying. They're far closer to just dropping the thing like they did with the 3D on 3DS.

I'm not really surprised that the sales are low though. Is everybody forgetting the initial reactions and huge wave of disappointment from the announcement? At a quick glance it still looks the same to the average person. People aren't going to realize that it's actually really good unless it spreads through word of mouth.

Dropping 3D. Have you SEEN LBTW?

I'm sure that the sales will pick up for the game.

In particular, the sales are hampered by the fact the the Wii U's sales are low.
Many people who would be interested in this game simply haven't bought a Wii U yet.

Also, the console market appears to be struggling in Japan.

Well the notably more popular form of Mario platformers didn't work, so I'm not sure this had much of a chance.

It's probably not very good for them that their next major game is another 2D Platformer with Donkey Kong either.

Then there's Yarn Yoshi as well at some point.

That to me is the problem. Nintendo was convinced more of the same is what people wanted, and they couldn't have been more wrong. They need a new IP or a fresh take on an existing IP bad. They really have become too predictable.

MechaX

I still can't believe it sold so low. That's ~10% or less of the total Wii U owners in Japan. What the hell is the other 90% doing? You'd thing the early adaptors would have a significant lean towards buying Nintendo's first party games and this seems to be their best effort yet. I know 3D Mario isn't as popular as 2D Mario, but the console is this starved for games you'd think Wii U owners would have flocked to the game.. It'll be interesting to see the game's sales after this holiday season is over.

We have the perplexing scenario where Nintendo games don't really interest owners of a Nintendo console. I'm really curious not so much on what the other 90% are doing, but what the 90% would like (I can't necessarily say "looking for" because I'd bet a fair amount of the owners moved on to other consoles already).

For context, hows this compare to other Wii U releases? Lower install base means lower sales - seems pretty logical.

Wii U Top 15 Debuts:

1) New Super Mario Bros. U - 170,563
2) Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 110,149
3) Super Mario 3D World - 106,967
4) Pikmin 3 - 102,188
5) Wii Party U - 79,715
6) Nintendo Land - 78,461
7) Dragon Quest X Online - 36,454
8) The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - 31,154
9) New Super Luigi U - 27,312
10) Game & Wario - 23,995
11) LEGO City Undercover - 18,077
12) Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version - 17,518
13) ZombiU - 11,226
14) Resident Evil: Revelations - 8,179
15) The Wonderful 101 - 6,663

Like this

tipoo

Banned
Fascinating. It was widely hailed as a fantastic game, a few people even going as far as calling it the best Mario...But Nintendo needs a larger install base to make games bigger hits.

It's a tough situation as they are already taking a loss on hardware, but I keep thinking it needs to be $200 for the good model, and after that games like this will drive sales more as it becomes more of an impulse. $300 is still a bit much, when compared to the old consoles which have huge game libraries already at similar or higher levels of detail and are selling for sometimes 130 dollars new.

Don't get your hopes down people. As much as I want to see blood and salt, we have to understand that Japan is a non-market and the game may see much better numbers in America.

What?? Japan isn't a non-market, it was always Nintendos STRONGEST market.

It's becoming astonishingly apparent that Nintendo only has the resources and IP to sustain one platform at a time. The player-base is very opposed to buying new hardware, much more so than any past generation. Nintendo should have converged their console and handheld lines by now, consolidated their digital offerings into a single store, and started allowing more second/third party developers to pump out anything based on their IP's.

What will happen now? Honestly I have no idea. This is unprecedented. If I were them I'd kill the WiiU and focus on the 3DS exclusively. It's the only system with any life in it in Japan. (The only reason why the Vita is considered "good" is in comparison to itself a year ago, it's still comatose)

Rootbeer

Banned
quite a bit less than Mario 64 which was a LAUNCH TITLE.

sad. I did my part though, bought and love this game. However I will admit it just doesn't have the 'wow' factor that some previous 3d mario games had. Especially mario 64 which was revolutionary and awe-inspiring when it came out.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The only thing I find really strange is not that it is not moving units, but the fact that 80% of the current owners are not buying any game practically. Or who knows, they are holding up for the holiday shopping. Strange behaviour.

Honestly, I am not surprised with the relatively low install base. If Mario 3D does not push Wii U, I'm not sure if anything can at this point. It seems like Japan doesn't buy much nowadays, especially on consoles. FF13: Lightning Returns sales aren't too great either. I even have some suspicions about how the PS4 will sale in Japan.

I thought maybe it could be franchise fatigue also.

Seriously, what are Wii U owners doing with their consoles? Watching Netflix only?

PS3 without HDD is selling for $149 during BF sales. Why is WiiU so much more expensive. WiiU will sell really well, if it is priced lower than PS3.

Because of the tablet controller mostly. I feel that was probably a worse decision than Kinect on the Xbone.

Low install base really coming back to bite.

I hope it has greater success in North America and in Europe once it releases.

Isn't the install base even lower there. I know it's essentially dead in Europe and selling below 50k a month in the US, so it's hard to have much faith.

Not that surprising, Mario is kinda nearing series fatigue atm.

The way Nintendo continuosly keeps pushing more of these out at the current production speed, does harm to Marios popularity.

One more step toward Dreamcast status, I guess.

If releasing great games isn't good enough for people, I don't know what else anyone wants. The system has some really good exclusives already and more coming.

Can only imagine how different things might be if third parties hadn't activeley sabotaged most of their titles, from stripping features to just charging over 50% more for certain titles than other consoles.

Oh well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom