• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl - Nintendo of America's fastest-selling game EVER

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
:D :D :D

After just one week on store shelves, Super Smash Bros.(R) Brawl for Wii has become the fastest-selling video game in Nintendo of America's history. Since its launch on March 9, the feature-packed fighting action game has sold more than 1.4 million units in the United States, including more than 874,000 on March 9 alone. It has sold at a rate of more than 120 units per minute between launch and March 16.

dyls

What a coincidence. It's the most played video game in Nintendo of America's history as well (by me).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Someone do one of those runs and let us know how it's performing on the Nintendo Wi Fi Connection since launch.

GDJustin

Taurus said:
No source? I'm not suspecting this isn't true or anything, just curious. :)

Source is my inbox, same as every time I make these topics (and get asked this question).

Edit: The non-assy answer is that the source is an NOA press release, and you should see it up on the usual suspects in a few minutes as they turn the press release into a real news story.

Here is the full PR:

SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL SMASHES NINTENDO SALES RECORDS

Wii Game Sells at a Rate of More than 120 per Minute

REDMOND, Wash., March 17, 2008 – After just one week on store shelves, Super Smash Bros.® Brawl for Wii has become the fastest-selling video game in Nintendo of America's history. Since its launch on March 9, the feature-packed fighting action game has sold more than 1.4 million units in the United States, including more than 874,000 on March 9 alone. It has sold at a rate of more than 120 units per minute between launch and March 16.

"Super Smash Bros. Brawl has made the leap from video game to cultural phenomenon," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "Game reviewers and the public alike praise its fun game play and extensive, inventive content."

Super Smash Bros. Brawl features a nearly limitless variety of options for players. Dozens of classic Nintendo characters like Mario™ and Pikachu® are joined by industry icons like Sonic The Hedgehog™ and Metal Gear's Solid Snake for all-out four-player battles. The endless customization keeps players coming back for more. The previous game in the series, Super Smash Bros.® Melee, became the best-selling Nintendo GameCube™ game of all time with more than 7 million copies sold worldwide, so it's no surprise to see this latest installment racking up record numbers.

"It's important to remember," Dunaway said, "that we have lots more fun on the way: Upcoming titles like Mario Kart® Wii and Wii Fit™ will keep our momentum going strong."

Mario Kart Wii launches April 27 with the Wii Wheel™, which lets players drive their speedy karts with the intuitive feel of a wireless steering wheel. It's another "bridge" game like Wii Sports™ that lets video game novices and veterans play and have fun together. Wii Fit arrives May 19 with the Wii Balance Board™ to combine fun and fitness. It lets users track their progress over time, and it's an easy way for every member of the family to keep active and play together.

Remember that Wii features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other Wii features, visit Wii.com.

For more information about Super Smash Bros. Brawl, visit www.SmashBros.com.

Nintendo, see? Sakurai is fucking awesome. Have him devote his creative genius to something else immediately. After his well earned rest and swim in the money pit of course.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I wonder how high it will get for NPD's- I mean it sold over 500K in the 6 days AFTER launch.

MoxManiac

PantherLotus said:
Really Nintendo? You make the hardest-core game you've ever made and it sells amazingly well in the US?

REALLY?

I wouldn't really call it that hardcore. It's very design is engineered to appeal to the highest amount of people.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
nextgeneration said:
March NPD is going to be epic. I wouldn't be surprised if 600k wii's are sold for March.

At least. I think March is a 5 week month, so even if there were no increased shipments it would be 550K or so.

I think it would honestly reach 650-700K.

pswii60

domokunrox said:
SSBB sales > Halo 3 sales, confirmed.

Look my in post history a couple of weeks ago to confirm. No really, do it.
Didn't Halo 3 sell 2 million in the US within a couple of days or something?

schuelma said:
At least. I think March is a 5 week month, so even if there were no increased shipments it would be 550K or so.

I think it would honestly reach 650-700K.

Yup, 5 week month. I also can see it hitting in the 650 - 700k range, as Nintendo has really increased Wii supplies for this month. And April will be just as interesting, with GTA hitting. It's going to be a fun 2 months on the sales age side. :D

pswii60 said:
Didn't Halo 3 sell 2 million in the US within a couple of days or something?

Yeah, Halo 3 had one of the best presell campaigns in this industry's history. I don't think we'll see anything compare
until GTA IV's release. Which will be silly massive.

Jiggy

None of the mainline Pokemon games sold faster than this? I have my doubts about that one. Edit: Unless they were pulling shenanigans and separating the double Pokemon SKUs from each other for the sake of making Smash Bros. look better, of course.

GDJustin

In terms of strength out of the gate, Halo 3 >>>>>> every other game this gen. Halo 3's sales were INCREDIBLY front-loaded. It sold millions of copies in 24 hours, then dropped off.

IzumiK

Banned
domokunrox said:
SSBB sales > Halo 3 sales, confirmed.

Look my in post history a couple of weeks ago to confirm. No really, do it.
I wonder if someone like to put that number against 2.4million Burning Crusade sales in 24 hours.:D

Amir0x said:
A lot of people don't. Too bad this couldn't be Pikmin 2.

yep, its the same like halo 3 for example, some pple couldnt understand the hype....in my case, im curious but its not my main type of game.....fun with friends that's all

lopaz

Banned
GDJustin said:
In terms of strength out of the gate, Halo 3 >>>>>> every other game this gen. Halo 3's sales were INCREDIBLY front-loaded. It sold millions of copies in 24 hours, then dropped off.

It was high up the charts for at least a couple months afterwards. It just sold ridiculously well then dropped down to really well.

methodman

Banned
GDJustin said:

Are you sure? GTA 4 is looking to be just as ridiculous.

radioheadrule83 said:
Yeah, Halo 3 had one of the best presell campaigns in this industry's history. I don't think we'll see anything compare
until GTA IV's release. Which will be silly massive.

2008 > 2007, confirmed.

bjork

This is no real surprise, Nintendo did a great job building up anticipation for this game. Probably would've done well even if they did 0 buildup for it, on the name alone.

PantherLotus said:

What? He's right. The game is built to appeal to a huge range of people, from those who just want a fun brawler to play at parties all the way to competitive gamers who play the game for prize money. It may have more depth, content and options than your typical mainstream game but it's still a very mainstream game.

There's quite a big difference in hardware base.

Aye, I know - I'm just curious to see how it compares.

Gigglepoo

MoxManiac said:
I wouldn't really call it that hardcore. It's very design is engineered to appeal to the highest amount of people.

Wait, what? It's way too complicated and confusing for my casual gaming girlfriend to play.

Top Bottom