• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl - Nintendo of America's fastest-selling game EVER

EazyB

Banned
APZonerunner said:
Smash Bros 4 confirmed?

Bet Iwata's on the phone to Sakurai right now. "We need you again.."
Any game with SSB in the title is gunna sell a shit-load. It was one of the best selling GC games and many people, without even knowing anything about Brawl, would pick this up regardless.

I have yet to pick it up but once finals are over and I'm spring break I'll be adding one to millions.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
once it hits 500k it must have lost that hardcore status. pretty soon you guys will be arguing that it isn't really a game, right?

Sharp

Expected, after the Japan sales and considering how much America loves online, party games, and the Wii. Doesn't make me any less sad that these are like triple SMG's numbers for the same time period.

Firestorm

PantherLotus said:
once it hits 500k it must have lost that hardcore status. pretty soon you guys will be arguing that it isn't really a game, right?

IIRC, games lose "game" status at 1 mil. So Brawl is a non-game.

gfdoom

g35twinturbo said:
I just don't understand the hype :(

the same can be said about many other big games i don't have to name. But i think the appeal is the easy pick up and play and complete fun when played with others:D

Sharp

PantherLotus said:
Really Nintendo? You make the hardest-core game you've ever made and it sells amazingly well in the US?

REALLY?
Haha, also, what the hell is this about? The Metroid games are infinitely more hardcore than Smash, for starters.

Meier

Just saw the email come through on my phone and I knew I had to rush to GAF and see the thread about it. Mindblowing figures... just under 1.5 million in a week. A week! First month likely will come a bit short of Halo 3 (I expect north of 2.5 million though) -- both series have such phenomenal legs that it will be difficult to catch up even in the long run.

Kevtones

Sharp said:
Haha, also, what the hell is this about? The Metroid games are infinitely more hardcore than Smash, for starters.

SSBB includes Super Metroid and its so hardcore it only gives you three minutes to beat the entire game.

I actually have two copies. One from my gf that she bought online and one from a local shop because I couldn't wait for my copy to come in the mail.

Sharp

Kevtones said:
SSBB includes Super Metroid and its so hardcore it only gives you three minutes to beat the entire game.
The three minutes it gives you plus all the other timed masterpieces plus all of Smash <<< Super Metroid in hardcoreness. Fact. Also in awesomeness but we can discuss that another day.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Meier said:
Just saw the email come through on my phone and I knew I had to rush to GAF and see the thread about it. Mindblowing figures... just under 1.5 million in a week. A week! First month likely will come a bit short of Halo 3 (I expect north of 2.5 million though) -- both series have such phenomenal legs that it will be difficult to catch up even in the long run.

Hehehe I did the exact same thing, but there WAS no thread :p

Lucky me?

Crocodile

I was wondering if Brawl was selling under expectations cause we didn't hear them tooting their own horn about how well it was selling. I expected something like a day or two after being available for sale. Guess I just had to wait a bit for the envitable press release.

EazyB said:
Any game with SSB in the title is gunna sell a shit-load. It was one of the best selling GC games and many people, without even knowing anything about Brawl, would pick this up regardless.

I have yet to pick it up but once finals are over and I'm spring break I'll be adding one to millions.

This is true, but Sakurai and Iwata are quite good friends as they worked together at HAL, and Iwata himself has said he wouldn't want to make a Smash game without Sakurai, and that Brawl wouldn't have happened if Sakurai hadn't agreed to come back.

Jiggy

Firestorm said:
PantherLotus said:
IIRC, games lose "game" status at 1 mil. So Brawl is a non-game.
No, you see, actually Smash automatically gets its Game Pass because it was designed for the Gamecube controller instead of a stylus or waggle. :p

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Gigglepoo said:
Wait, what? It's way too complicated and confusing for my casual gaming girlfriend to play.

King of the Hill is complicated and confusing? Because that's what SSB is, really.

Guled

See Nintendo, you can still make real games that sell. Now with this, let wii fit be your last non game

EazyB

Banned
APZonerunner said:
This is true, but Sakurai and Iwata are quite good friends as they worked together at HAL, and Iwata himself has said he wouldn't want to make a Smash game without Sakurai, and that Brawl wouldn't have happened if Sakurai hadn't agreed to come back.
It's hard to believe Nintendo would pass on their 7+ million selling franchise and leave its fans in the cold because of Sakurai. Then again, Nintendo does some strange shit.

Sharp said:
I blame it on the lack of Smash-branded soft drinks.
Actually now that I think about it, I blame the lack of sales compared to Halo 3 because of including Sonic and his shitty friends.

domokunrox said:
Yeah, Ice Climbers mountain Dew. Mario Pepsi. Meta Knight Dr.Pepper

They account for 500k in sales per drink.
Kirby Pink lemonade....MMmm...

lopaz

Banned
MattKeil said:
King of the Hill is complicated and confusing? Because that's what SSB is, really.

Dum dada dum dada dum dada dum dada dum dada dum dum dummmmmmm
Dum, dum, dum, dum, dum diddle doo da boo BAH BAH

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Smash has a simple concept, but the actual combat is surprisingly deep. I don't know any casual/nongamers that can play it properly.

Guled said:
See Nintendo, you can still make real games that sell. Now with this, let wii fit be your last non game
or you know, keeping making both kinds
Too radical? Alot of the other ninendo ips have had diminishing sales with each new entry and many of their new ips dont make a stir regardless of quality. I really dont expect a new fzero this generation.

Top Bottom