• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl - Nintendo of America's fastest-selling game EVER

AniHawk

Stumpokapow said:
As of last month, multiple retail sources were claiming accessory. I'm not sure if this is still the case or not.

Also, Wii-k in review 3/10/08. Normally I wouldn't give a lot of attention to IGN podcasts, but given that Matt either gets the full NPD sheet or has a good enough report with NPD to get some of the info he wants (given that he provided that ton of LTD updates end of last year), I'm assuming he's speaking authoritatively.

They could have been going off of old information. Wii Fit was being counted as an accessory until February 28, when Gamestop switched the SKU to a game SKU. The old accessory SKU was shut down completely. Regardless, it's going to contribute to a pretty huge May and June.

Ydahs

Woah! This will give the Wii a massive boost until WiiFit comes out! Didn't Reggie predict the Wii to overtake the 360 in the US by June?

Tiktaalik

This is going to give not only the Wii but also Wii accessories (think Wii Play) a massive boost. When I got my copy of Smash at Best Buy they had tables set out with tons of controllers, nunchucks, Wii Play and also a biiig stack of Wii systems.

Bishman

Good job Nintendo and Sakurai. They both deserve all this success. It goes to show you that real hardcore / casual game can sell if it is a quality game + great marketing behind it.

Lobster

Banned
I think theres no doubt that Smash is a contender as one of the best selling games this gen.

Its gonna be tight.

Smash vs GTA vs Halo

FUCKING TIGHT!

You know whats funny..

Smash vs GTA vs Halo was the same fight last gen too :lol

Gaming is getting too repetetive.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
The Dojo was an amazing marketing plan and it was of such high quality. A labor of love really.

That said I hope they never ever do it again. Not because I didn't like it... I loved it. I just don't want to ever again be obsessed DAILY with another game for months on end. :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lobster said:
I think theres no doubt that Smash is a contender as one of the best selling games this gen.

Its gonna be tight.

Smash vs GTA vs Halo

FUCKING TIGHT!

You know whats funny..

Smash vs GTA vs Halo was the same fight last gen too :lol

Yet wasnt GT3 the best selling game last gen. >.>

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
KevinCow said:
Have we been reading the same thread? It seems to me like most people have been having issues with lag.
A difference between experiencing lag and it being unplayable (aka shit). You'll notice I said "having little to no problems with lag". It's the internet. You are ALWAYS going to have lag, and with the majority of players probably playing on cable systems where just back to their next hop is probably 35-60ms, in a game like SSBB 60ms is quite a bit. But again, LITTLE to no problem with it. It's the relatively rare post in that thread (unless it's a number of posts from a single game) where people say it was unplayable because of lag.

I'll be the first to admit lag in a game like this is downright brutal. way more so than a shooter or strategy title... but it is what it is. to expect lag free gaming on the internet is retarded, and to expect a fast paced quick reflex game like this to be completely unaffected by lag is similarly retarded. you can calculate trajectory and velocity to 6/100 of a second in an RTS or shooter. calculating reaction in a fighter where the reciprocal result might only be double that is a little tougher.

so again, given what it is (not smash, but the genre itself with online play), most seem to be having little to no problem with it. it only seems to be a few where there is much greater than expected lag between input and reaction or game updates. at least from what I've read. aka the "nice game" and "damn I suck" posts way outnumber the "wtf is up with the lag" posts.

Firestorm

KevinCow said:
Have we been reading the same thread? It seems to me like most people have been having issues with lag.

That was before. Starting at the beginning of this weekend it was mostly fine. If you're lagging, it's your fault and you should tinker with your router.

Suburban Cowboy said:

The Smash Bros. Dojo at its peak received 1 million hits in a single day and 5 million in a single week. An official site that updated every single day to build the hype. They had launch events across the United States. Retailer and tournaments across Canada. In-store advertising before the launch (big signs). Commercials showing actual gameplay.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
TSA said:
And 1 minute to beat Super Mario Bros.

The scary thing is that that's only 4 minutes and 30 seconds less than one might need to beat the game... or did they break 5 minutes in SMB recently?

Dunlop

Mockingbird said:
Halo 3 is also more accessible since more people own a 360 than Wii.

The userbase is pretty close in the USA.

Not that it matters, it's a great game so glad to see it sell.

Now if they will only fix the piss poor excuse that they have for online matchups, specifically "Anyone" matches.

Need to get me some friends codes. My first run at the series so want to get competant first.

I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong when Diddy Kong is my favorite/best character :D

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
MrCheez said:
The Dojo was an amazing marketing plan and it was of such high quality. A labor of love really.

That said I hope they never ever do it again. Not because I didn't like it... I loved it. I just don't want to ever again be obsessed DAILY with another game for months on end. :lol

I think they should do it more often! Although it might be hard for Nintendo to find a game they'll ever make in the near future that's as feature-packed as Smash Bros. Brawl. They might have to make it a once-weekly update.

nightez

Banned
I wonder what control set-up most people who buy this will be using. Because I heard nunchak controls ain't so good.

nightez said:
I wonder what control set-up most people who buy this will be using. Because I heard nunchak controls ain't so good.

Nunchuk controls aren't bad at all, actually. Granted, I went into the game having not spent much time at all with Melee, and I was instantly hooked on the Cube controllers - there's no looking back...but I did briefly flirt with the Nunchuk controls, and they felt A-OK. Missing the 2nd analog stick hurts but it definitely encouraged a relative n00b like myself to try to mix up my attack a bit more, without just flippantly resorting to the smash stick. There are plenty of buttons so that's not an issue, thankfully.

Most people I know who've bought it without owning a Cube controller have settled on the Nunchuk controls, too...with one guy I know swearing by the sideways Wiimote style (another I actually liked quite a bit, too...CC is the only one I just couldn't grasp).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DavidDayton said:
The scary thing is that that's only 4 minutes and 30 seconds less than one might need to beat the game... or did they break 5 minutes in SMB recently?

Yeah, they broke 5 minutes. The record is now 4:58:53 which is a mathematically perfect run of the game. The only way they got from 5 minutes to 4:58:53 was finding a glitch that allows skipping the flagpole animation. At this point the only way they could improve the times would be to find a glitch that allowed you to trigger the ending without playing one of the levels required to get to the end.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nonno Mario said:
I agree!
Only one title can defeat SSBB sales: its name is... Animal Crossing!

I don't know, man. AC GCN sold about 50% of Smash Bros Melee (around 75% if you count both GCN Animal Crossing releases). AC 64 only sold around 12% of Smash Bros. It'll be tough to overcome those odds without some really marketable new features.

nightez said:

Probably either the nunchuck + remote or just the remote itself (which is what I use).

Toy Soldier said:
...with one guy I know swearing by the sideways Wiimote style.

It really is a good choice for someone new to the Smash series, and who never had a Gamecube. I like this control method very much.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Stumpokapow said:
I don't know, man. AC GCN sold about 50% of Smash Bros Melee (around 75% if you count both GCN Animal Crossing releases). AC 64 only sold around 12% of Smash Bros. It'll be tough to overcome those odds without some really marketable new features.
Both of those were relatively niche titles compared to WW's like what, 9M+ sales worldwide? AC on the Wii with more of an MMO vibe to it (but still friend codes) would destroy gaming as we know it. Being able to have say, 5-10 friends in your town all participating at the same time...? insanity. The return of the non-game fear mongering would be immense.

SantaC

theultimo said:
Loving it, but please upgrade your WFC servers nintendo, you sold that much, and considering everyone is going online, its almost impossible at times to play.

it's peer to peer hosting which means nintendo doesn't have dedicated servers to upgrade.

Stumpokapow said:
If anything that shows the AC series performing alot better with each installment, hopefully AC Wii follows the same trend.

SLYspyda

Banned
I'm pretty sure the May NPD top 8 games can pretty much be summarized at this time, in no particular order:

SSB, MGS4, GTA IV XBX, GTA IV PS3, Wii Fit, Wii Play, Mario Kart, COD4 XBX.

Innotech

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
youre talking about a Wii userbase that has taken a declining MArio party franchise and turned it into a multi-million selling blockbuster hit.

Innotech

Banned
nightez said:

I honestly prefer them over classic controller or GCN/wavebird. I didnt htink I would but I find myself not missing gcn controllers at all in SSBB even though I have full access to some next to the system.

Xeke said:
Yes Nintendo is afraid of voice chat and thats why they included it in Pokemon...
Nintendo also includes voice chat in Metroid Prime Hunters, Planet Puzzle League and Advance Wars Days of Ruin.

Dunlop

Son of Godzilla said:
Great, but I wonder if this is going to move much hardware. Even Halo 3 only managed to sell an extra what, 200k systems?

I don't think Nintendo needs too much help moving hardware :D

Innotech

Banned
Dunlop said:
I don't think Nintendo needs too much help moving hardware :D
technically, it wouldnt have to move ANY additional hardware and Nintendo could simply up its shipments and claim it did.

Neomoto

Brawl is worth buying a Wii for, so seeing America's (and Japan's) absolute excellent reception is fantastisc. I'm sure Europe will follow with amazing sales, too. And the inevitable legs will put most other high profile games to shame.

MrCheez said:

I have never cared for any one-game related website ever before but the Smash Bros Dojo is just fucking awesome. Seriously, in every way, even the way the words where written. I was there the day it launched.. more than a year later I still haven't missed a single update (!). And I'm still checking it to this day :lol I'll get the game sometime this week I hope so I don't know if I continue to browse it but still, quite impressive to say the least (and so much "holy shit" moments that is was ridiculous).

Son of Godzilla said:
Great, but I wonder if this is going to move much hardware. Even Halo 3 only managed to sell an extra what, 200k systems?

I can pretty much guarantee Brawl won't move any hardware. Kind of the same way strapping on an additional rocket pack won't help you go faster than lightspeed.

Jiggy

Neomoto said:
I have never cared for any one-game related website ever before but [...] I was there the day [the Smash Bros Dojo] launched.. more than a year later I still haven't missed a single update (!). And I'm still checking it to this day :lol I'll get the game sometime this week I hope so I don't know if I continue to browse it[...]
A number of us in the other thread still do. >_> Partially in case something cool is revealed that nobody would have figured out via normal play, partially out of habit--gotta see this thing through to the end!

yeah i think it sold a lot better than other wii games because of its lack of waggle, the "wii would like to play" commercial 100% focused on gameplay footage, and made it look cool, rather than cutting every couple seconds to some douche exaggerating every movement.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Leondexter said:
I can pretty much guarantee Brawl won't move any hardware. Kind of the same way strapping on an additional rocket pack won't help you go faster than lightspeed.

Good point. :lol :lol :lol

PantherLotus said:
Really Nintendo? You make the hardest-core game you've ever made and it sells amazingly well in the US?

REALLY?

Probably already said, but, what? I never got what was so hardcore about Smash Brothers. Seems to be pretty casual to me.

Its gonna be tight.

Smash vs GTA vs Halo

FUCKING TIGHT!

You know whats funny..

Smash vs GTA vs Halo was the same fight last gen too

There are a few new franchises that have done really well...
Assassin's Creed
Mass Effect
SKATE
Rock Band
Gears of War
Bioshock
Army of Two looks to be a success as well.
... plenty, really. I guess preexisting series have always been the most successful in the videogame market though (well, not when there weren't any preexisting series).

Osuwari

ssbb has a big chance at being this gen's #1 selling game thanks to japan.

remember that every HD game has sold much less over there.

also, saying ssbb is just ssbm with more stuff is like saying ssbm is ssb64 with more stuff.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Leondexter said:
Well it will increase the hardware numbers by virtue of Nintendo increasing/diverting/stockpiling(Feb) shipments of Wii's to make them more readily available for the Smash Bros launch.

Top Bottom