• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl - Nintendo of America's fastest-selling game EVER

cvxfreak

Nice showing. Deserves every sale it gets. I think Brawl has what it takes to sell beyond Super Mario 64, which is Nintendo's best selling console game since the beginning of the N64 era.

Meier

I'm one of the Nintendo fans who isn't much of a fan of Smash.. haven't bought this and I probably won't until a price drop or I can find it used.

JDSN said:

12.jpg

*laughs* "We need you again" *laughs*

01.jpg

*laughs*

Firestorm

The funny thing is I always turned voice chat off in Pokemon. I don't see a real need for voice chat during Smash. My taunts have the only messages I'd ever have: XD and wtf was that :(

It's no communication between matches, and the stupidity of actually disabling the "Loser Picks Stage" that annoys me.

Angelo

Firestorm said:
The funny thing is I always turned voice chat off in Pokemon. I don't see a real need for voice chat during Smash. My taunts have the only messages I'd ever have: XD and wtf was that :(

It's no communication between matches, and the stupidity of actually disabling the "Loser Picks Stage" that annoys me.

Same here. I always turn off the voice chat whenever I trade or battle with someone. And actually I'm not bothered of the exclusion of voice chat in Brawl. It's a fighting game not a strategic FPS; all you gonna hear is people screaming and shouting to each other. And giving order to your team partner is a give away of your fighting strategy.

"Go kick Jigglypuff's ass while I take care of Falco". :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
TheGreatDave said:
I never use voice chat. It's absence doesn't bother me.

I don't think I'd use voice chat much either- but it would be lovely to have some way of communicating especially post match so I can kindly let people know when I have to drop out and vice versa.

schuelma said:
I don't think I'd use voice chat much either- but it would be lovely to have some way of communicating especially post match so I can kindly let people know when I have to drop out and vice versa.

Did you play Clubhouse Games/42 All time Classics? Even the way they do communication is that would be superior than the current system.

Nintendo's online bugs me, but they have various features across various games that, if unified, could make it a lot better.

Nutter

Wow...

March, April and June NPD's are going to be HUGE!

March has SSBB
April has GTA
May has (legs from the 2?) :p
June has WiiFit, Mario Kart, MGS4.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Firestorm said:
This is what happens when you make a game with thought and effort Nintendo.
these posts kind of annoy me though (no offense to you firestorm). Nintendo has unquestionably been hitting the ball out of the fucking park on their franchise titles this gen. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and now Smash. Even second tier efforts like Super Paper Mario, Battalion Wars 2 and Fire Emblem have been extremely well received. Overall this is probably Nintendo's strongest console generation software-wise as a publisher since the SNES era if you take Rare out of the N64 equation.. I think the only two franchises in their entire catalog that they haven't touched to critical and mass praise this gen are like Mother and Pikmin (and you just KNOW Pikmin's coming with pointer controls).

The game deserves the sales, but let's not act like just because it's sold better than every other Wii game that no other Wii game has seen amazing sales. By current guesstimates Wii should have at least 10 million sellers in the US alone.. more when you take into account worldwide.

Nutter said:
Wow...

March, April and June NDP's are going to be HUGE!

March has SSBB
April has GTA and MKart
May has Wii Fit
June has MGS4.
hmm.. your dates seemed screwy to me.. yup... fixed. Every month in the first half has at least one AAA massive system seller on it. Take your pick as to which one will move the most systems on their respective consoles. :p

I don't know why, but I'm really not "feeling it" for Brawl.

I played SSB and loved it, I actually asked for a GameCube over a PS2 for Christmas in 2001 solely because of Melee, and one of the big reasons I got a Wii in the first place was because of Brawl. But now that the game is out I don't really have any desire to go out and spend $50 on it.

Maybe it's just that the internet has already spoiled most of the game for me.

Fuck you internet. :|

neight

Banned
evilromero said:
Man, where were all these people when Prime 3 hit? Oh yeah, Nintendo did shit for marketing. Nevermind.
Wha-? That game sold over 200k in its first week and went on to sell over a million units.

AniHawk

Nutter said:
Wow...

March has SSBB
April has GTA

March: SSBB
April: Mario Kart + GTA IV + SSBB continued sales
May: Wii Fit + MGS4 + Mario Kart, GTA IV, SSBB continued sales
June: MGS4, Wii Fit, Mario Kart, GTA IV, SSBB continued sales

borghe

Guybrush Threepwood said:
I don't know why, but I'm really not "feeling it" for Brawl.

I played SSB and loved it, I actually asked for a GameCube over a PS2 for Christmas in 2001 solely because of Melee, and one of the big reasons I got a Wii in the first place was because of Brawl. But now that the game is out I don't really have any desire to go out and spend $50 on it.

Maybe it's just that the internet has already spoiled most of the game for me.

Fuck you internet. :|
no, it's because you are crazy :p

seriously, it's obviously been so long that you forgot why you loved the series. buy it and you'll instantly remember. it is better than melee in every single way, even if only slightly in some areas. but even in those areas it's still just as fun as melee ever was.

AniHawk said:
March: SSBB
April: Mario Kart + GTA IV + SSBB continued sales
May: Wii Fit + MGS4 + Mario Kart, GTA IV, SSBB continued sales
June: MGS4, Wii Fit, Mario Kart, GTA IV, SSBB continued sales
Doh, thanks for correcting me on MGS4. Wow, so in the June NPD Nintendo could have four Wii titles in the top 10 (taking into account the constant presence of WiiPlay)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nutter said:
Wow...

March has SSBB
April has GTA

Wii Fit will not be in the NPD top 10 for May or June. In fact, I'll bet a permaban that it won't.
(It's being classed as an accessory rather than a piece of software, so like the Wii Zapper it won't appear in the top 10 :lol)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
borghe said:
these posts kind of annoy me though (no offense to you firestorm). Nintendo has unquestionably been hitting the ball out of the fucking park on their franchise titles this gen. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and now Smash. Even second tier efforts like Super Paper Mario, Battalion Wars 2 and Fire Emblem have been extremely well received. Overall this is probably Nintendo's strongest console generation software-wise as a publisher since the SNES era if you take Rare out of the N64 equation..

Games sales/quality are more appropriately compared to the Nintendo's N64 games, actually.

borghe

Stumpokapow said:
Wii Fit will not be in the NPD top 10 for May or June. In fact, I'll bet a permaban that it won't.
(It's being classed as an accessory rather than a piece of software, so like the Wii Zapper it won't appear in the top 10 :lol)
Where do you see that at? The Wii Zapper is "Wii Zapper with Link's Crossbow Training". WiiFit is WiiFit. Not "Balance Board with WiiFit".
Oblivion said:
Games sales/quality are more appropriately compared to the Nintendo's N64 games, actually.
Overall quality on certain individual titles I would agree definitely. But overall quality of the titles from them as a publisher for the system, as well as quantity of such titles, I just don't see the N64 years as a shining era for Nintendo as a publisher outside of the obvious (SM64, Zelda OOT/MM, Mario Kart, Paper Mario and umm....). Of course they had Rare to significantly bolster that status, but that's why I said excluding Rare.

borghe said:
no, it's because you are crazy :p

seriously, it's obviously been so long that you forgot why you loved the series. buy it and you'll instantly remember. it is better than melee in every single way, even if only slightly in some areas. but even in those areas it's still just as fun as melee ever was.

Doh, thanks for correcting me on MGS4. Wow, so in the June NPD Nintendo could have four Wii titles in the top 10 (taking into account the constant presence of WiiPlay)
But it's still just Melee with more stuff. FS, more items, characters and stages- it is more an expansion than a sequel in my mind. If you don't live with a bunch of guys (like I did back in the college days) then this game may not be worth your time.

Jiggy37 said:
None of the mainline Pokemon games sold faster than this? I have my doubts about that one. Edit: Unless they were pulling shenanigans and separating the double Pokemon SKUs from each other for the sake of making Smash Bros. look better, of course.

I think this ties Pokemon Gold & Silver's first week (also 1.4 million if I remember right). Smash Bros. might have a bigger first day, though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
evilromero said:
But it's still just Melee with more stuff. FS, more items, characters and stages- it is more an expansion than a sequel in my mind. If you don't live with a bunch of guys (like I did back in the college days) then this game may not be worth your time.
Wifi support.

borghe

evilromero said:
Online. There is no reason anyone should be stuck playing this game solo, as opposed to the first one which you are entirely right on. Heck, that's one of the biggest reasons the first one didn't impact me as much as this one. I DIDN'T have a lot of people to play it with, as most of my friends at the time were hardcore Tekken and VF players who snubbed their noses at Melee.

KevinCow

Banned
evilromero said:
No shit? A multi-player oriented game is worth less when you don't have people to play it with?

borghe

GenericPseudonym said:
Pretty shitty Wifi support.
get off dialup

sorry.. :p but seriously, judging from the main thread for the game, most seem to have little to no problem with lag.. not saying the problem IS because your connection is too slow, just that it's damn near impossible for a developer to take into condition every sort of network connection this game will be played over. Go onto any game and you'll see reports of bad lag, constant drops, etc. When a game has a significant number of reports of it, then it's a concern. but in Brawl's case, at least judging from the main thread, it does seem to be a minority of the connections.

Somnia

Stumpokapow said:

Sadly for you I believe you are going to lose that bet. WiiFit is being sold at GameStop as a GAME SKU not an Accessory...WiiFit is WiiFit w/balance board...not like the Zapper which is the Zapper w/ Link's Crossbow Training which is sold as an accessory...two very different things...you might want to take that bet back and fast.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
borghe said:
Where do you see that at? The Wii Zapper is "Wii Zapper with Link's Crossbow Training". WiiFit is WiiFit. Not "Balance Board with WiiFit".

As of last month, multiple retail sources were claiming accessory. I'm not sure if this is still the case or not.

Also, Wii-k in review 3/10/08. Normally I wouldn't give a lot of attention to IGN podcasts, but given that Matt either gets the full NPD sheet or has a good enough report with NPD to get some of the info he wants (given that he provided that ton of LTD updates end of last year), I'm assuming he's speaking authoritatively.

Somnia said:
Sadly for you I believe you are going to lose that bet... you might want to take that bet back and fast.

I think it was pretty obvious from the post that I was jesting, given the :lol smiley and the format of the post and the fact that there was no argument preceding my post. Sort of like when someone says "ban if old".

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Somnia said:
Sadly for you I believe you are going to lose that bet. WiiFit is being sold at GameStop as a GAME SKU not an Accessory...WiiFit is WiiFit w/balance board...not like the Zapper which is the Zapper w/ Link's Crossbow Training which is sold as an accessory...two very different things...you might want to take that bet back and fast.
Depends on what NPD class it as I would think.

Sharp

Stumpokapow said:
I think it was pretty obvious from the post that I was jesting, given the :lol smiley and the format of the post and the fact that there was no argument preceding my post. Sort of like when someone says "ban if old".
Dude Wario was banned, look at his tag.

KevinCow

Banned
borghe said:
get off dialup

sorry.. :p but seriously, judging from the main thread for the game, most seem to have little to no problem with lag.. not saying the problem IS because your connection is too slow, just that it's damn near impossible for a developer to take into condition every sort of network connection this game will be played over. Go onto any game and you'll see reports of bad lag, constant drops, etc. When a game has a significant number of reports of it, then it's a concern. but in Brawl's case, at least judging from the main thread, it does seem to be a minority of the connections.
Have we been reading the same thread? It seems to me like most people have been having issues with lag.

Innotech said:
Wii fit is considered an accessory.

Which makes zero sense, unless this is a new policy among all bundles. GH, DDR, Karaoke Revolution, Rock Band, Eye of Judgment, Wii Play, Time Crisis, etc...all are in the same boat as Wii Fit.

But yeah nobody cares about NPD classification outside of Sales-Age, though I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't mind that bit of recognition/press that comes with topping the NPD software charts.

Nabs

people who have lag issues really need to check their modems and routers / router settings. most of my games are lag free (or so tiny i don't notice it). i've had laggy matches, but it's thanks to the same two users w/ terrible connections.

if you're w/ comcast, make sure you have a new modem. if you don't, just head over to the comcast center and make the swap. check broadbandreports.com and do the diagnostics tests and see if your connection is as good as it could be.

Jiggy

Lindsay said:
I thought it sounds suspicious too!

D/P: 1 million in 5 days - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152696
Fr/Lg: 1 million in 3 weeks - http://www.upnetwork.net/pokenomics/news/2004/093004.shtml
R/S: "2.2 million" in ?? - http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/392/392355p1.html
E: 890k first month - npd
C: 600,000 in two weeks - http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/097/097448p1.html
G/S: 1.4 million in a week http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/086/086771p1.html

hm....
Nice detective work. :D Knew something was up.

theultimo

Loving it, but please upgrade your WFC servers nintendo, you sold that much, and considering everyone is going online, its almost impossible at times to play.

Top Bottom