• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl - Nintendo of America's fastest-selling game EVER

Zoe

Iam Canadian said:
Smash has a simple concept, but the actual combat is surprisingly deep. I don't know any casual/nongamers that can play it properly.

I used to play fighting games every day when I was a kid, but I could never get the hang of Melee. I always end up just hiding under a ledge as Pichu and doing the lightning move over and over again.

[Nintex]

This game is amazing, Nintendo would've kept it for the holidays if they knew this. On the other hand their timing was perfect for once. Gamers just lost interest in Super Mario Galaxy and their other holiday titels and Smash is released. I bet Iwata is on the phone with Nintendo Europe right now, to tell them they need to release the game already.

Thank god for the Freeloader, I wonder how many Datel has sold.

Sharp

Iam Canadian said:
Smash has a simple concept, but the actual combat is surprisingly deep. I don't know any casual/nongamers that can play it properly.
"Properly?" Honestly button-mashing works just fine. It's a remarkably casual game, especially for a fighter, and unless you play with items off or something all the explosions make people happy regardless.

Zoe said:
I always end up just hiding under a ledge as Pichu and doing the lightning move over and over again.
So YOU are the lightning bastard I've been playing since launch online! *casts PK fire all over your ass*

Do we have first week numbers for Halo 3 in NA alone? I'd really like to know how he two compare. Knowing that Halo 3 did 3.3 million WW and sales in japan are negligible, it would seem that the European launch would've had to sold substantially more to than in NA in order for brawl to really claim this title.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
[Nintex] said:
This game is amazing, Nintendo would've kept it for the holidays if they knew this. On the other hand their timing was perfect for once. Gamers just lost interest in Super Mario Galaxy and their other holiday titels and Smash is released. I bet Iwata is on the phone with Nintendo Europe right now, to tell them they need to release the game already.

because SSBB is THAT strong they released...also it would`ve killed sales of many other wii games this holiday season ^^

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
[Nintex] said:

Uhh.. no, that would have been stupid. Why? The wii will sell out regardless during the holidays. And SSBM will still sell a shit-ton during this Christmas.

Firestorm said:
This is what happens when you make a game with thought and effort Nintendo.

Right. **ing true. So, Nintendo, please keep in mind that an hardcore game with hype can sell as much or even more then a non-game like Brain Training or Wii Sports.

Hype is the secret. And the hype behind Brawl exists since the Dojo was opened. I think Nintendo should thank Sakurai.

Zoe

Illuminati said:
So YOU are the lightning bastard I've been playing since launch online! *casts PK fire all over your ass*

I don't have the game yet. Good to know that trick still works though :lol :lol :lol

Sharp

Earthstrike said:
Do we have first week numbers for Halo 3 in NA alone? I'd really like to know how he two compare. Knowing that Halo 3 did 3.3 million WW and sales in japan are negligible, it would seem that the European launch would've had to sold substantially more to than in NA in order for brawl to really claim this title.
I think Halo 3 did more in NA in 24 hours. But the lack of Japanese sales mean that its worldwide first week sales are likely to be less (Europe only has to contribute 0.9 million sales or so in its first week to make that true, I think). Not that it really matters, both games did / are doing extremely well to fill in the party game niche in the market. Well, I don't know if it's a small niche exactly, but you know what I mean.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Wow. I'm impressed. We can say that it's going to sell 2 millions units in just a month. Almost comparable with Halo.

Once again, Halo 3 was released WORLDWIDE.

SSBB is not available in PAL, yet.

lopaz

Banned
Earthstrike said:

I thought it did that in US first month?

[Nintex]

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Right. **ing true. So, Nintendo, please keep in mind that an hardcore game with hype can sell as much or even more then a non-game like Brain Training or Wii Sports.

Hype is the secret. And the hype behind Brawl exists since the Dojo was opened. I think Nintendo should thank Sakurai.
The Dojo was great, but who would have trouble marketing:
Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Sonic, Snake, Kirby etc. in one package?
Some of my friends bought Melee because they hated Mario and wanted to kick his ass.

Sharp

Tieno said:
The numbers for Halo (3) in this thread are US ONLY.
Halo 3 definitely beat Smash's first-week numbers in the US, but it didn't sell 3.3 million first week. It was over 2 million though, I think.

[Nintex] said:
The Dojo was great, but who would have trouble marketing:
Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Sonic, Snake, Kirby etc. in one package?
Some of my friends bought Melee because they hated Mario and wanted to kick his ass.

:lol Wow. Really?

Sharp said:
Halo 3 definitely beat Smash's first-week numbers in the US, but it didn't sell 3.3 million first week. It was over 2 million though, I think.

Yeah and btw I don't think that Brawl will beat Halo 3 in the USA even in the long term, but WW the probabilities are not negligibles.

NPC

Jamesfrom818 said:
I actually have two copies. One from my gf that she bought online and one from a local shop because I couldn't wait for my copy to come in the mail.

Tainted sales figures confirmed

j/k

Tieno

Sharp said:
We don't have first week sales numbers for Halo 3 because it probably didn't beat Halo 2's first week. It did gross 300 million first week and 3.3million units in september (released on september 25, don't know how many weeks that month was in NDP).

thefro

Melee has sold over four million copies in the US alone (and is now over 7 million WW), so look for this to have long legs.

[Nintex]

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Yeah and btw I don't think that Brawl will beat Halo 3 in the USA even in the long term, but WW the probabilities are not negligibles.
SSBB will beat Halo 3, SSBB has almost no competition, while Halo 3 is already overtaken by Call of Duty 4.

nextgeneration said:
Halo 3 sold 3.3 million units in 12 days in the US.

Heres where I totally turn it around.

Even if it has sold 3.3 million in the first 12 days. Unlike SSBB, nobody is going to suddenly stop playing it because theres a better game out there (referring to Call of Duty 4) :lol

Shiggy

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

I think so as the Wii is likely to outsell the Xbox 360 (installed base).

Sharp

Probationsmack said:
Guys halo sold more than smash. Choose not to care please. Theyre not your children you dont have to give them self esteem.
Haha, I think after a game sells over one million in a week in a single region people don't seriously care about whether it beat another game's sales, it's just an academic exercise at this point trying to match up all the WW launch data.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Sakurai wants to be independent. Period. Nintendo can offer him what you want, but Sakurai decides.

Something tells me that given the right reasons (Hats, money, you know the drill) and he'll happily do whatever Iwata says.

Anyway, 1.4mil in a week is staggering for a game on a console that "Isn't for gamers" as Gaf loves to say, 2 million sold in March at least confirmed, NPC will be epic this month, and next thanks to GTA4, has anyone made any SSBB "It prints money" gifs yet?

Jiggy

Sharp said:
"Properly?" Honestly button-mashing works just fine.
If you button mash, either you'll kill yourself by going off the edge with no way to recover, or the stage (the ones with hazards, anyway) will kill you because you're not properly accounting for timing and the lag after each attack.
You don't even need an opponent to successfully die if you're a button-masher. We even had at least one person in the Smash thread I remember who said he was new to the series and had been killing himself frequently by overusing special attacks. Edit: The post in question, and its predecessor.

Stop It said:
Something tells me that given the right reasons (Hats, money, you know the drill) and he'll happily do whatever Iwata says.

Do you know Sakurai personally? I do not, but I would consider the possibility that for him independence > money. Who knows? Maybe you're right, but if he decided to leave HAL, I think that there was (and still is) a solid reason.

Gigglepoo

MattKeil said:
King of the Hill is complicated and confusing? Because that's what SSB is, really.

Um, no? Smash Bros is a chaotic mess of flying limbs and crazy items. It can be really confusing for someone more accustomed to Kororinpa or The Simpsons game.

[Nintex]

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Do you know Sakurai personally? I do not, but I would consider the possibility that for him independence > money. Who knows? Maybe you're right, but if he decided to leave HAL, I think that there was (and still is) a solid reason.
He said that he left HAL because the distance/gap between the producer/director and the gamer became to large or something like that.

Haunted

Fantastic news. Well deserved, too. Props to Sakurai and his team.

Mejilan said:
Yikes, that's very impressive. I imagine that, like Melee, this game will have legs.
Speaking of which, how much did Melee sell in its first week/month in the US?

Kusagari

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

I don't know, Brawl has a real chance of beating Halo 3 if it has anywhere near the legs Melee did. Halo 3's already dropping down while CoD4 is still dominating.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Gigglepoo said:
Um, no? Smash Bros is a chaotic mess of flying limbs and crazy items. It can be really confusing for someone more accustomed to Kororinpa or The Simpsons game.

Um, yes? Turn the items off and play one-on-one on Final Destination or some other stage without a lot of distractions until she gets the hang of how it works on a basic level. Hell, let the "how to play" attract movie cycle up from the title screen. It's infinitely simpler than The Simpsons Game, it's just hard to master.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
schuelma said:
Wow. March NPD is going to be huge

0523trump375.jpg

"YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!"

watership

domokunrox said:
Once again, Halo 3 was released WORLDWIDE.

SSBB is not available in PAL, yet.

SSB doesn't sell in Europe like it does in North America/Japan. Nintendo nostalgia isn't remotely as strong there.

lopaz

Banned
watership said:
SSB doesn't in Europe like it does in North America/Japan. Nintendo nostalgia isn't remotely as strong there.

Yeah we actually have taste, cause there's probably way more nostalgia for old-school sonic :p

zoku88

KLoNe said:
The inclusion of Olimar is why it sold so well.
In other news, Nintendo announces that they are making Pikmin 3 as a result of Olimar being the reason Brawl sold so much.

One can wish.

lopaz said:
Yeah we actually have taste, cause there's probably way more nostalgia for old-school sonic :p
Hey, Brawl has sonic nostalgia as well :D

Top Bottom