• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Ultimate outselling Street Fighter II.

theclaw135

Banned
The debate over Smash's relevance/identity to fighting games notwithstanding, it's happening!
Super Smash Bros Ultimate has moved over 15 million units. Placing it on track to sell more, on a single console, than Street Fighter 2. No, not the SNES/Genesis ports. Quite possibly the entire slate of standalone SF2 ports and revisions (including HD Remix and Ultra).

https://www.dexerto.com/smash/smash-ultimate-best-selling-fgc-title-1203498

VertigoOA

Banned
And Mario Kart probably outsold all GRan Turismo combined.

Neither Kart or Smash are a fighter or racer and by no means appeal to the same kind of player. Fortnite is similar.

two of my favorite genres and Nintendo’s party games can fuck off

Last edited:

Neither Kart or Smash are a fighter or racer and by no means appeal to the same kind of player. Fortnite is similar.

What are you talking about? Super Smash Bros. is a fighting game and Mario Kart is a racer. That's like if I were to say Call of Duty isn't a shooter but SOCOM is when they're just part of different sub-genres (first-person arcade and third-person tactical).

Last edited:

Nvzman

You could make an argument that mario kart isnt a true racing game (hence why "kart racer" is a genre), but Smash Bros is definitely a fighting game, whether you like it or not. Just because Smash also has features that cater to parties doesnt mean it cant be a fighting game, and considering what Ultimate did to strengthen the 1 v 1 competitive aspect, it's incredibly disingenuous to argue that smash isnt a fighting game. It's very unique and non-traditional but it's most certainly a fighting game.

And I say this as someone whose favorite fighting game is Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Smash is a new game and Street fighter 2 is an old game, it maybe a classic but I wouldn’t expect it to see amazing as it looks of it’s age now

I never considered the Smash Brothers games being a part of the fighting genre to be honest. More a celebration of everything Nintendo (with guest appearances since Brawl).

As a video game I find Street Fighter II infinitely better than the Smash Brothers games too. Street Fighter II is a stone cold, influential classic that is popular and beloved to this day - the game changed everything. Street Fighter II is legendary. It's also nearing its 30th anniversary. Will we be able to say the same thing about one of the Smash Brothers games? I don't think so. These games are hyped to death, then released, sold well, and then forgotten when the next one arrives.

CrisPy2019

What are you talking about? Super Smash Bros. is a fighting game and Mario Kart is a racer. That's like if I were to say Call of Duty isn't a shooter but SOCOM is when they're just part of different sub-genres (third-person tactical and first-person arcade).
Better do it like that:

PlayStation is not a real console.
It was a CD player then a DVD player and now it's 2 gens of Blu-ray players. That also has games.

You can even see this in the controller design with the PLAY and STOP button as start and select. Made by a music/entertainment company. And how it always was marketed as the cheapest DVD/bd player etc.

It's not made for real gamers. Real gamers don't call themselves players. As in "for the players"

----
Let's see how he likes his own logic. :)

Smash Ultimate deserves the success, but I question the numbers. 15.5 million seems like an unreasonably low number for SF2.

Consider this: The World Warrior sold 6.3 million on SNES, Turbo sold another 4.1 million on the SNES, and Super sold 2 million on the SNES. That's 12.4 million on the SNES alone. SF2SCE also sold 1.65 million on the Genesis. No other version of SF2 sold over a million (as of December 31, 2014), but those versions alone account for over 14 million. (SOURCE)

It's hard to imagine that all other versions of SF2 combined sold less than 1.5 million. (Ultra Street Fighter II sold nearly 450,000 on the Switch alone, which means that all the other versions would only need to sell a combined million copies to reach the 15.5 million figure.) When you consider all the versions that were released on various platforms and all the digital storefronts it has been featured on over the years, I think 15.5 million seems way too low. SF2 has also been featured on countless compilations and mini consoles, and there's no real way of accounting for those sales.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Smash and Kart are both variety games.

Enough of the Nintendo fanboy drivel over the years.

smash is a two-button game not comparable to sf or tekken. Mario Kart allows you to throw banana peels, it’s more comparable to twisted metal.

They are their own thing. Players do not cross over to Gran Turismo or Street Fighter. They do not appeal to the same kind of player, because they are not part of those respective genres.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
1dbcgtI.png

It's selling better than Gran Tursimo
It's selling better than Street Fighter

Smash Bros. and Mario Kart being compared to both GT and SF is just laughable and absolutely silly.

Last edited:

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Congrats, Nintendo.

I am actually not surprised, I wasn't big on the popularity of SF2 back in the day but I think it is clear they were on this path from the start for Smash Brothers Ultimate, given its consistently popular reception.

Tipton32

I never considered the Smash Brothers games being a part of the fighting genre to be honest. More a celebration of everything Nintendo (with guest appearances since Brawl).

As a video game I find Street Fighter II infinitely better than the Smash Brothers games too. Street Fighter II is a stone cold, influential classic that is popular and beloved to this day - the game changed everything. Street Fighter II is legendary. It's also nearing its 30th anniversary. Will we be able to say the same thing about one of the Smash Brothers games? I don't think so. These games are hyped to death, then released, sold well, and then forgotten when the next one arrives.

Uh, people still play melee to this day. Brawl was modded with project M, and people still play smash 64 for fun. I could maybe see smash 4 being dropped entirely for ultimate but I’m sure people still play that too.

Last edited:

ViolentP

Smash Bros. is to Street Fighter like the Wii controller was to a competent controller. Accessibility sells.

Hinedorf

Banned
Yea Smash is really kicking the shit out of a game from 1987..... too bad Smash isn't a fighting game.

I say it's not a fighting game because 1. Nintendo wouldn't market their product that way and 2. The objective is to push your opponent off a ledge, not win a fight.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
I honestly do not understand the appeal of Smash bros, other than a party melee....

From that perspective, it makes sense to outsell Street Fighter...

Wih Ken and Ryu playable in Ultimate amd can use their original moves...wouldn't it be fair to say that SF2 effectively doubled in sales as you can play Smash the SF2 way with those two characters on Ryus stage? :pie_thinking:

Last edited:
Yeah but SFII arcade revenue, doe ;)

Ultimate's got a LONG way to go to catch up to SFII's overall numbers once you throw arcade in. I doubt it'll get there, but 15 million copies sold is a massive feat in and of itself.

NOTE: Petran79 beat me to it, d'oh!

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Neither Kart or Smash are a fighter or racer
I never considered the Smash Brothers games being a part of the fighting genre to be honest.

Alright, let's do this.

Why not? Because it doesn't have health bars, or quarter-circle motions?

Bushido Blade doesn't feature health bars. Mortal Kombat doesn't use quarter-circle motions, except as an alternate control scheme.

Seems to me "fighting" just means... fighting. You're trying to knock out the other guy.

What's the distinguishing characteristic?

Nymphae

Banned
I don't know how you could argue that Mario Kart isn't a racer lol. I get the argument that Smash isn't a fighter in the more traditional sense, but I've always been fine calling it a fighter, because what other genre does it go in otherwise? You hit eachother with attacks and special moves, and are going for a ringout. It's conventions and gameplay focus clearly put it in the fighter genre.

Yea Smash is really kicking the shit out of a game from 1987..... too bad Smash isn't a fighting game.

I say it's not a fighting game because 1. Nintendo wouldn't market their product that way and 2. The objective is to push your opponent off a ledge, not win a fight.
You don't push your opponent off a ledge, you beat the shit out of them until they go flying off the screen.

DonF

I don't get it when FGC hardcore people get mad at smash doing great (for instance, hitting a record of viewership in EVO).

its a fighting game, of course if you play it with items and 8 players its a party game, but the whole 1v1 scene is pretty hardcore. The moveset is complex, there is timing, frame data, precise parrying mechanics and all that shit hardcore fighting games have.

its just salty attitude !

Pejo

At that many units sold, they really should just make it a platform at this point. Don't shut down the DLC packs, just keep the train rolling.

Not even comparable. Smash games are great, but Street Fighter couldn't rely on anything except being good for it's sales. It was also huge in arcades which took away a lot of its potential sales.

What even is this thread?

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Last edited:

PhoenixTank

At that many units sold, they really should just make it a platform at this point. Don't shut down the DLC packs, just keep the train rolling.
They did opt for a second set of DLC fighters, so that might even extend to a third depending on sales.

The posts here gave me a well needed chuckle. Keep gatekeeping those genres.

Last edited:
Top Bottom