• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Ultimate outselling Street Fighter II.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Oh dammed this was the core of the game and the reason why i got this one... not all to play SF4 on the go. 😂
Still toys for kids.

(Do i post the Austin Power sexual toy now or do i wait a little more... 🤭)
Neither was collecting trophies in Smash. For someone who complains about others not having a point you don't seem to have one either. Oh well your crying won't save the Street Fighter franchise after what V did to it. Don't worry Ryu and Ken have a better home in Smash now. Have fun with banana Ken in your game

up4IGvB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Virex

Banned
You should replace the PS logo with an Nvidia or Intel one. I'm PC first but I do own all the consoles as well. The picture is damn funny though. I'm saving it so I can use it on here as well

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
As someone who grew up with and very much enjoys fighters such as Street Fighter 2,3, 4, and 5 and Mortal Kombat X and many Tekken games, I can say Smash Ultimate is a fighting game.

1v1 and battlefield/omega stages give the same thrill that other fighters do, if not more so. Quit faulting this game for innovating in the genre.

Bodatan

Banned
You should replace the PS logo with an Nvidia or Intel one. I'm PC first but I do own all the consoles as well. The picture is damn funny though. I'm saving it so I can use it on here as well
PC player mentioning inferior racing game instead of Forza Horizon lmao 😂

Only nerds and fanboys would deny Smash and Mario Kart in fighting and racing genres

This has nothing to do with fanboyism. I've enjoyed multiple Smash Brothers games, but as a video game, they can never come close to the undisputed legendary status of Street Fighter II. There are also other games that are regarded as fighting games, but in my opinion aren't, like Power Stone for instance. Besides, I could create a long list of titles I consider fighting games, but I will name a few series instead; Dead or Alive, Virtua Fighter, Killer Instinct, Guilty Gear, King of Fighters, Samurai Showdown, Tekken, Fighting Vipers, Mortal Kombat, etc.

Bodatan

Banned
This has nothing to do with fanboyism. I've enjoyed multiple Smash Brothers games, but as a video game, they can never come close to the undisputed legendary status of Street Fighter II. There are also other games that are regarded as fighting games, but in my opinion aren't, like Power Stone for instance. Besides, I could create a long list of titles I consider fighting games, but I will name a few series instead; Dead or Alive, Virtua Fighter, Killer Instinct, Guilty Gear, King of Fighters, Samurai Showdown, Tekken, Fighting Vipers, Mortal Kombat, etc.
Nerd then

God Enel

Both Mario kart and smash are absolutely amazing games and a shitload of fun - as was sf2 back in the day (and it still is) so congrats. I’m happy that smash is selling numbers.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Smash Bros isn't going anywhere and Nintendo plans to keep it around for a long long time.

Neither was collecting trophies in Smash. For someone who complains about others not having a point you don't seem to have one either. Oh well your crying won't save the Street Fighter franchise after what V did to it. Don't worry Ryu and Ken have a better home in Smash now. Have fun with banana Ken in your game

up4IGvB.jpg
Crying for 5? Who? Me? When? I'd rather play Smash on my wiiu 🥶😱 than loosing one more second of my life with 5. 😂 what are you talking about? 😂
Playing with then on WiiU is the reason why i realize i was loosing my time on Smash U. Sorry, if you don't get why.
No point of what? You don't get the differences between 2d fighters (rules, physics, animation, and how they play) and Smash, it's just not my problem. And listen, you think SF tekken and KOF are the same as Smash... i don't care at all. 😂

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
And Mario Kart probably outsold all GRan Turismo combined.

Neither Kart or Smash are a fighter or racer and by no means appeal to the same kind of player. Fortnite is similar.

two of my favorite genres and Nintendo’s party games can fuck off
Mario Kart 8 is a pretty amazing arcade racer with items. It's not like no other arcade racers with items exist, see e.g. Wipeout. As a huge fan of the arcade racer sub-genre, which has been wrecked by the extremely boring simulation racer sub-genre, I challenge your notion that games do not belong to the genre just because they use easy-to-learn-hard-to-master mechanics. Would you also claim that (what I claim to be) the best racing game ever made, F-Zero X, is not a racing game?

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Crying for 5? I'd rather play Smash on my wiiu 🥶😱 than loosing one more second of my life with 5. 😂 what are you talking about? 😂
Playing with then on WiiU is the reason why i realize i was loosing my time on Smash U. Sorry, if you don't get why.
You're right I don't get what you're saying at all but it's only fair to compare each game with the recent one in the series.

"VS fighting game with challenge, arcade mode, solo mode and no toys to collect."

You talked about arcade mode yet seem to have forgotten it wasn't even included at the start in Street Fighter V which is downright embarrassing. Even after it was released it was basically half-assed. Also how does Smash supposedly not have the other stuff you've mentioned in your original argument? Last I checked Classic mode is still in.

Sad to say but Capcom recently lost all their fighting game making talent. I'd like for them to make a comeback somehow preferably by making something other than Street Fighter or Marvel vs. yet I get the feeling they will cheap out again even if they did.

dust bunny

Whats so bad about differentiating between smash and "traditional" fighting games? There are very clear differences between the two and it seems like people typically strongly prefer one over the other. For the sake of being descriptive/helpful doesn't differentiating between the two make a lot of sense?

yurinka

The debate over Smash's relevance/identity to fighting games notwithstanding, it's happening!
Super Smash Bros Ultimate has moved over 15 million units. Placing it on track to sell more, on a single console, than Street Fighter 2. No, not the SNES/Genesis ports. Quite possibly the entire slate of standalone SF2 ports and revisions (including HD Remix and Ultra).

https://www.dexerto.com/smash/smash-ultimate-best-selling-fgc-title-1203498
Well, not true. The over 14 million SF2 figure counts only those SKUs which shipped 1M copies or more. Many SF2 SKUs aren't included there:

Ultra SF2 alone sold over half a million, and we have Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD (should be close to 1M too), Super SF2 Turbo for GBA, PC, 3DO and more, SF2 for Game Boy, versions of different SF2 iterations for different Japanese and western 8 and 16 computers, SF2' CE for PC Engine and many others. And obviously this is without counting the many times that SF2 games were included in collections or without counting the arcade versions.

Without counting collections and arcade I'd be SF2 would be around 20M, and this is counting that when released the gaming market was way smaller than now. In addition to this, the comparision doesn't make too much sense being different games and considering one it's a single IP and the other features dozens of highly popular IPs including SF.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Obviously Smash is super popular and important, probably has more games sold, more players, better reviews etc, even a better game for some.

But no other fighting game will be quite as iconic as Street fighter II in video game industry, especially arcades. My 60 year old uncle from Iran knows street fighters or at least the sound of Hadoooouken.
Growing up it was iconic, a first and probably the Bruce Lee of fighting games. As in it was a quality fighting game everyone would huddle around and play, with super cool looking characters, with awesome moves and levels. There wasnt anything like it.
It was in almost every kebab/fish and chip in london or in dodgy downstairs aras... (omg 80’s nostalgia).

I love Smash, I paid £90 for the japan important original N64 version. It was iconic. But to the masses and everyday people, everyone knows Street fighter like they know Mario and Sonic. (Even if its nowhere near as relevant now)
Well maybe the youngers dont know what it is lol, and Im out of touch

Last edited:
You're right I don't get what you're saying at all but it's only fair to compare each game with the recent one in the series.

"VS fighting game with challenge, arcade mode, solo mode and no toys to collect."

You talked about arcade mode yet seem to have forgotten it wasn't even included at the start in Street Fighter V which is downright embarrassing. Even after it was released it was basically half-assed. Also how does Smash supposedly not have the other stuff you've mentioned in your original argument? Last I checked Classic mode is still in.

Sad to say but Capcom recently lost all their fighting game making talent. I'd like for them to make a comeback somehow preferably by making something other than Street Fighter or Marvel vs. yet I get the feeling they will cheap out again even if they did.

That's far from op... it's about SF2 and yes SF2 had from the go a great one player mode, the perfect opposite of Smash U (and SF5 i know). It took one new hardware to implement that single player mode! 🥶😱🤔

I still don't get why some are comparing Smash with SF or Tekken (shure it has Ken and Ryu... and Pacman!). Smash is its own genre.

Guess what? I had more fun online with SmashU than SF5Arcade! And wayyyy more fun i mean. 😱🥶😂 SF5 is dead, anytime there's an upgrade it reminds me how everything is wrong and how they are clueless about their audience... it's the Sonic 4 of SF. 🥶😱🤭

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
That's far from op... it's about SF2 and yes SF2 had from the go a great one player mode, the perfect opposite of Smash U (and SF5 i know). It took one new hardware to implement that single player mode! 🥶😱🤔

I still don't get why some are comparing Smash with SF or Tekken (shure it has Ken and Ryu... and Pacman!). Smash is its own genre.

Guess what? I had more fun online with SmashU than SF5Arcade! And wayyyy more fun i mean. 😱🥶😂 SF5 is dead, anytime there's an upgrade it reminds me how everything is wrong and how they are clueless about their audience... it's the Sonic 4 of SF. 🥶😱🤭
Love the Emojis 🥶😱🤮😭😂

FMXVII

SF5 is worse than Sonic 4.

Much worse.

I say this as a fan of both SF and Sonic.

I realize it is bad thing to compare atrocities.

But there it is.

SF5 makes me recall Vanilla SF4 with less ire.

VertigoOA

Banned
Smash and Kart are their own thing and always have been.

It became important to pretend these games filled the gaps for genres that do not exist on a Nintendo console when there are no options aside from ancient ports of 20 year old games. Actually the GameCube has capcom vs snk 2 so at least that was something...

I’m sure splatoon also caters to the Socom fans that so desperately want a third person tactical shooter as well... /s

I don’t care about this enough to argue that everyone who disagrees is wrong.

A pro wrestling game is just as much a fighter... which is not much at all.

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned
Smash and Kart are their own thing and always have been.

It became important to pretend these games filled the gaps for genres that do not exist on a Nintendo console when there are no options aside from ancient ports of 20 year old games. Actually the GameCube has capcom vs snk 2 so at least that was something...

I’m sure splatoon also caters to the Socom fans that so desperately want a third person tactical shooter as well... /s

I don’t care about this enough to argue that everyone who disagrees is wrong.

A pro wrestling game is just as much a fighter... which is not much at all.
You're right Smash Ultimate doesn't even look like a fighting game at all even in 1v1 mode, I mean take a look at this!
super-smash-bros-ultimate-ken-ryu-sunset-fight.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

dust bunny

Differentiating within the same genre, sure.

Gran Turismo is a racing sim and Mario Kart is a kart racer, but they’re both racing games.
Well, sort of. The issue is that genre names describe a set of game conventions and not what you actually do in the game. A Beat 'em up is very different from a fighting game even though both genres describe both types games. A game isn't a shoot 'em up because you shoot in it. Quake 3 isn't a MOBA even though the genre name technically describes the game. ARPG's basically means "diablo clones" and not RPG's with an action focus. Hell, a game with RPG-elements means it features leveling up and not actual role playing. Etc etc.

What I'm trying to say is that I think when people describe a game as a "fighting game" they are not talking about Streets of Rage, God Hand, Nidhogg, or Smash even though they would all fit in if you only took the genre at face value. Genre names are more complicated than Wargame = a game with wars in it.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Smash bros is coded language for saying you don't believe in showers, deodorant, tooth paste and breath spray.
748819.jpg

Projection at it's finest. Doesn't help the fact you're so obsessed about it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
As someone who grew up with and very much enjoys fighters such as Street Fighter 2,3, 4, and 5 and Mortal Kombat X and many Tekken games, I can say Smash Ultimate is a fighting game.

1v1 and battlefield/omega stages give the same thrill that other fighters do, if not more so. Quit faulting this game for innovating in the genre.
Growing up with streetfighter and saying smash is a fighting game

Dear lord.

MisterHero

Smash borrows hype from every Nintendo franchise and beyond, so it's kinda unfair to compare it to a single franchise.

On the other hand, Ultimate is only on Switch whereas SFII has been on everything. I'm happy both the game and console are doing so well after Wii U.

Based on the quality of Ryu, Ken, and even Guile's models in Smash, I'm kinda interested in a quasi-sequel of SFII that doesn't bother with cutting edge graphics.

It doesn't make sense to me that some 1v1 fighters don't appear on Switch, but that's how it is I guess.

Shifty

tumblr_mxwyznfaxF1rbjoeao1_400.gif

☝ imagine this gif, except Donald Glover is in no way surprised at the trash fire he's walked in on.

Never change, smash community. (Figuratively, not literally. You should still shower.)

Nvzman

Smash and Kart are both variety games.

Enough of the Nintendo fanboy drivel over the years.

smash is a two-button game not comparable to sf or tekken.

They are their own thing. Players do not cross over to Gran Turismo or Street Fighter. They do not appeal to the same kind of player, because they are not part of those respective genres.
So I guess divekick isn't a fighting game either? What the fuck kind of dumbass logic is that? Just because they aren't comparable to two fighting games means they aren't fighting games at all?

So I guess overwatch isn't a "real" fps compared to Battlefield then...

It's really funny how the "smash isn't a fighting game" argument has zero logic to it. You can say "lol mad", but I'm not the one who's salty that a great fighting game that's also fun with a group is doing so well.

Last edited:

blackjon24

I don't know how this is even a debate, smash fans reaction to Terry Bogard's inclusion should be evidence enough, they had no idea who he was aha

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Well, sort of. The issue is that genre names describe a set of game conventions and not what you actually do in the game. A Beat 'em up is very different from a fighting game even though both genres describe both types games. A game isn't a shoot 'em up because you shoot in it. Quake 3 isn't a MOBA even though the genre name technically describes the game. ARPG's basically means "diablo clones" and not RPG's with an action focus. Hell, a game with RPG-elements means it features leveling up and not actual role playing. Etc etc.

What I'm trying to say is that I think when people describe a game as a "fighting game" they are not talking about Streets of Rage, God Hand, Nidhogg, or Smash even though they would all fit in if you only took the genre at face value. Genre names are more complicated than Wargame = a game with wars in it.

I completely agree with you, and I realize that demanding too much precision from a broad notion can rob it of its usefulness. But at the same time it'd be unfortunate to insist that "fighting game" is "a game like Street Fighter II." That puts some heavy restrictions on how much the genre can grow and develop.

Bringing up the RPG genre is interesting, because that's a concept that's evolved tremendously over the years. Originally it referred to tabletop games where you put together a character and played that role. There was combat and leveling and such, but those were in service of the role-playing. Video games built around the RPG concept couldn't offer that degree of flexibility, so the roles became fairly fixed while other elements were carried over intact. And now, as you say, we have "RPG elements" in our first-person shooters. So, why shouldn't the fighting game genre also undergo some of its own evolution?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Last edited:

Shifty

It's endlessly funny that people get caught up on the semantics of what defines a fighting game.

You have to have rolled a real low INT stat to not be able to differentiate between the literal "but they fight tho" and a wikipedia-style genre definition of "two characters that always face each other and fight on a flat plane".

1 v 1 me in Streets of Rage, let's go.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
You have to have rolled a real low INT stat to not be able to differentiate between the literal "but they fight tho" and a wikipedia-style genre definition of "two characters that always face each other and fight on a flat plane".

Here's what Wikipedia says about Bushido Blade:

Characters in Bushido Blade also have the ability to run, jump, and climb within the 3D environments. Because battles are not limited to small arenas, the player is encouraged to freely explore during battle.

And yet

k7rJ034.png

Maybe the 182 people who worked on that page are dumb too.

Top Bottom