• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Ultimate outselling Street Fighter II.

93xfan

Banned
Growing up with streetfighter and saying smash is a fighting game

Dear lord.

The original Street Fighter 1 is a fighting game. Now compare that very basic fighting game to a game like Soul Calibur 6 with things like ring outs, reversals, arenas in 3D. The genre has changed tremendously and is barely recognizable when stacked against its origins.

If 1v1 Smash is not a fighting game, I’m curious to know what you would classify it as. And please don’t call it a “party” game, because that’s not a legitimate classification.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The original Street Fighter 1 is a fighting game. Now compare that very basic fighting game to a game like Soul Calibur 6 with things like ring outs, reversals, arenas in 3D. The genre has changed tremendously and is barely recognizable when stacked against its origins.

If 1v1 Smash is not a fighting game, I’m curious to know what you would classify it as. And please don’t call it a “party” game, because that’s not a legitimate classification.
Sure some may call smash a fighting game when you rip literally every thing out of it.
Don't go pretending what ever the hell they play on EVO is the normal game xD

it's a party game at first.

Last edited:

Shifty

Here's what Wikipedia says about Bushido Blade:

And yet

k7rJ034.png

Maybe the 182 people who worked on that page are dumb too.
Bushido Blade is an interesting example, since it builds on top of the core of traditional fighters but adds weapon lethality, extra mobility in 3D space, etc.

What I'm getting at here is the semantics behind 'Fighting Game'. Speaking casually, when someone says Fighting Game without any additional qualifier the assumption is something that looks like SF- 1v1, flat plane, life bars, timer, etc. What you would call a 'Traditional Fighter' if you want to get into subgenres.

That has precedent, because the genre by that definition was established by SF2 in 1991. Bushido Blade was an outlier when it came out in '97 because it did things differently, but was close enough to a traditional fighter in its basic presentation to fall under that umbrella.

Now fast-forward past the release of Smash 64 in '99, and to the point where Smash's competitive scene actually took off in 2002 when the first publicized Melee tournaments were held. That's the point where this whole 'yeah I play fighting games I play Smash' thing kicked off, 11 years into the genre cementing its fundamentals.

These days the concrete definition has had to change in order to fit such titles, making it extremely wide-
A fighting game is a video game genre based around close combat between a limited number of characters, in a stage in which the boundaries are fixed.

So according to that, Smash is indeed a fighting game. Of the Arena Fighter / Party Fighter subgenre, to be more specific - much like Power Stone or the various indie Smash clones that have come out over the last decade.

With that established, the concrete definition isn't what this is about. It's about semantics. The colloquial definition of 'like SF' that traditional fighting game players (and old people) have held for however long- that hasn't changed.

More specifically, it's about the meme that is Smash players wanting everyone to update their internal definition of 'Fighting Game = Like Street Fighter' so they can be included. Reasonable enough, but not if they act like massive pedants about it whenever a someone tries to make a distinction, or even imply that smash isn't like SF.
How dare you mis-genre my fighting game, bigot! :messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed:

Case in point our venerable peer woigemok woigemok and his cherry-picked screenshots of Ryu and Ken having a 1v1 in Smash. Selective ignorance of the fact that those characters are mechanically unique, careful evasion of the idea that Smash operates on a different set of core movement, attack, defense, and KO systems to SF.

Shit's dumb, has been for 17 or so years. It's almost old enough to buy alcohol at this point, but still gets told to "shut up, kid!" by the hagrid at the local arcade.

1v1 Smash is no different on a core mechanical level to standard Smash, ergo it's the same genre. Arena Fighter, out of respect for your last sentence.

And SC6 is indeed very different to the roots of its genre, but it's still a Traditional Fighter, just with extra bells and whistles that augment the traditional core rather than replacing it.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned

How is this classification made? People very commonly play this as a single player game, or in 1 v 1 modes. The fact that 4 people can play this together seems to be the only reason it is labeled a party game, am I mistaken? Was Goldeneye in this "party game" genre then?

MiguelItUp

Pretty wild to think about, honestly. Man, when Street Fighter II came out on consoles it was INSANE. My older brother constantly friends over just to play the hell out of it, haha. It was such a good time. I was 8 at the time and was so excited and blown away by it, haha. It literally felt like bringing the crowds of the arcade into your home. It was the first time I experienced that, but certainly wasn't the last. 🙌

Smash Ultimate is SO good, it was all I played for several weeks. I really need to hop back into it, it's been way too long.

Whatever you want to call Smash be it a fighting or party game, it's really impressive to see such a milestone hit by the series.

Spukc

How is this classification made? People very commonly play this as a single player game, or in 1 v 1 modes. The fact that 4 people can play this together seems to be the only reason it is labeled a party game, am I mistaken? Was Goldeneye in this "party game" genre then?
R1fdEt3.gif

sure jen

Dada55000

That's not the argument. When people say these things, the core of what they are saying is that the appeal of Smash has 0 to do with it being a fighting game. Which is self evident. It's the big exclusive brand crossover party fighting game. If the series was like a Kingdom Hearts style JRPG thing instead of a fighting game, it would still be exactly as popular for the exact same reasons. Maybe moreso on an embarrassing anime amv obsession level. MK, SF, Tekken? Nah.

Lol, no. Maybe you played the game a bit at launch and quitted, I suggest you to play SFVAE, the game improved a lot since launch.
Improved in the sense that it got a cheap piece of shit knock off Netherrealm story mode and a generic arcade mode alongside more chars. Yay.

Y'know what's embarrassing? They released a new version of the game just because they spent 3 ham sandwiches making an arcade mode. That's just fucking pathetic dude.

Nymphae

Banned
fighting game

Right, it is a fighting game - the words crossover, party, big brand exclusive, these tell you absolutely nothing about the gameplay. I wonder why you felt the need to add fighting at the end?

What about the gameplay makes it unfit for the fighting genre? It's a fighting game with non standard mechanics, I don't see any other genre being a better fit, and it's not so unique as to deserve it's own genre classification of "party", which would seem to include many wildly different types of games, and thus isn't really helpful as a descriptor.

Last edited:

dust bunny

I completely agree with you, and I realize that demanding too much precision from a broad notion can rob it of its usefulness. But at the same time it'd be unfortunate to insist that "fighting game" is "a game like Street Fighter II." That puts some heavy restrictions on how much the genre can grow and develop.

Bringing up the RPG genre is interesting, because that's a concept that's evolved tremendously over the years. Originally it referred to tabletop games where you put together a character and played that role. There was combat and leveling and such, but those were in service of the role-playing. Video games built around the RPG concept couldn't offer that degree of flexibility, so the roles became fairly fixed while other elements were carried over intact. And now, as you say, we have "RPG elements" in our first-person shooters. So, why shouldn't the fighting game genre also undergo some of its own evolution?
I mean, in the end it's just a name describing a thing. It may or may not evolve over time.

I will say, though, "smash vs fighting games" as a topic of a discussion always ends in an amusing dumpster fire where both sides get aggressively defensive over shit that doesn't matter. Never gets old. This board should have a [Bait] tag because this thread is exactly that.

FMXVII

Right, it is a fighting game - the words crossover, party, big brand exclusive, these tell you absolutely nothing about the gameplay. I wonder why you felt the need to add fighting at the end?

What about the gameplay makes it unfit for the fighting genre? It's a fighting game with non standard mechanics, I don't see any other genre being a better fit, and it's not so unique as to deserve it's own genre classification of "party", which would seem to include many wildly different types of games, and thus isn't really helpful as a descriptor.

So... we just pretend that the default setting are the way they are because, what? Zappa ate two Smash characters, and his stomach is where the REAL mechanics happen?

Dada55000

I added fighting because it was the dead last least important thing about the game, hence the tiny text. Something you're deliberately ignoring. Again.

Thanks, everyone knows categorically what it is. What everyone else is telling you is that it's not why people care. Sth you are going out of your way to not grasp and obtusely pretend the people talking to you are retards who don't grasp your epic argument of "buh it fighting gaem tho".

"It's not a fighting game" is a dumb way people phrase a good point about Smash's appeal. Now it has been explained to you. Care to tackle the argument this time?

Nymphae

Banned
I added fighting because it was the dead last least important thing about the game

But you didn't omit it, because it's the only word there that even attempts to convey what the gameplay focus is. It's a fighter.

Thanks, everyone knows categorically what it is. What everyone else is telling you is that it's not why people care.

No they don't appear to. That's a different discussion.

FMXVII

I mean, in the end it's just a name describing a thing. It may or may not evolve over time.

I will say, though, "smash vs fighting games" as a topic of a discussion always ends in an amusing dumpster fire where both sides get aggressively defensive over shit that doesn't matter. Never gets old. This board should have a [Bait] tag because this thread is exactly that.

It needs a "bate" tag.

...pixelated, 'natch.

Last edited:

FMXVII

But you didn't omit it, because it's the only word there that even attempts to convey what the gameplay focus is. It's a fighter.

Smash's struggle for acceptance into the Butterfly Realm of FGs is real.

A worm covered in dandelion fluff ain't ever gonna go chrysalis mode.

FMXVII

That said, given two or three more iterations down the same design path as 5, Street Fighter might wind up as a party game... that nobody wants to play.

Last edited:

Dada55000

I literally told why I wrote it the way I did. Why are you making conjecture that is contrary to reality? It was a string of words describing aspects of the game people care about. There's some pretty obvious visual cues that denote importance. And this has been explained to you.

And guess what, no it's not a different discussion. People tend to notice a very obvious difference with Smash. But they don't express it properly, Which is why this argument goes nowhere, because ppl like you argue the superficial improper expression of the observation, and not the core argument of the observation. Which I have described to you, and you are still ignoring.

Kokoloko85

Neither was collecting trophies in Smash. For someone who complains about others not having a point you don't seem to have one either. Oh well your crying won't save the Street Fighter franchise after what V did to it. Don't worry Ryu and Ken have a better home in Smash now. Have fun with banana Ken in your game

up4IGvB.jpg

Street fighters not going anywhere either.... SFV isnt a bad fighting game, it just had a awful stupid launch. “Most” the people who complain about it havent even played it.
They are 2 completely different fighting games, like comparing them to Tekken and powerstone

Last edited:

Spukc

Street fighters not going anywhere either.... SFV isnt a bad fighting game, it just had a awful stupid launch. “Most” the people who complain about it havent even played it.
They are 2 completely different fighting games, like comparing them to Tekken and powerstone
I played SF V at launch
Fuck that game

Nymphae

Banned
And guess what, no it's not a different discussion. People tend to notice a very obvious difference with Smash.

It is. I was merely talking about what genre the game is. Non gameplay related factors that make the game appealing, such as the branding and casts of characters used, have no bearing on it's genre.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Yes but the damage is done and there's gonna need a lot of effort and quality control to save Street Fighter 6 or whatever they plan on making next. The same goes for Marvel vs. Capcom. I'd like nothing more for Capcom fighting games to be good as they were previous generations but at the moment it seems like they don't care as much as other companies which is why they are being left in the dust currently. Adding DLC can only do much if nobody really cared about your game to begin with.

Also you're right there is a big difference between Tekken and Powerstone.
Powerstone is a better game and more fun to play and both it and Virtua Fighter should have had 7 or so games instead of Tekken. Soulcalibur was the better Namco fighting game series.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcjmetroid

This news is just fanboy canonfodder.
I'm not blaming the OP bit the news outlets.

What a weird comparison to make. We have to discount many facts, the main one being that SF2 was primarily an arcade game and not a console game.

I also seriously doubt Street Fighter 2 in it's entirely never sold more than 15 million.

Damn...I feel like this almost says more about switch sales than smash sales. Like, all of those people own switches. I wonder what the attachment percentage is...?

Neff

Smash adheres to the same block > attack > throw > block formula shared by the vast majority of fighting games. It features pokes, combos, parries, techs, zoning, okizeme, and more besides.

If you dismiss Smash for not meeting the requirements of being a fighting game, you either haven't played it enough, or you're intentionally lying to yourself.

lock2k

Banned
To be fair, when Street Fighter 2 was relevant, gaming wasn't half as big, and e-sports didn't even exist.

This is like boasting that colour films have become more popular than black and white films.

Came here to write a similar reply and left pleased with what you wrote.

These comparisons are always bullshit because the world (and gaming, and movie audience) aren't static. Context has to be taken into account.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't play fighting anymore, but if I had to choose SF or Smash, I'd choose Smash because it's way different than other traditional 1 on 1 fighting games, and it's a totally different kind of game when you play with people.

Play SF or MK against someone and it's like a serious competition. Play Smash with fam and young nephews and everyone has a blast goofing around with crazy characters all at once.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
SF5 is worse than Sonic 4.

Much worse.

I say this as a fan of both SF and Sonic.

I realize it is bad thing to compare atrocities.

But there it is.

SF5 makes me recall Vanilla SF4 with less ire.

Fact.

And both are made by Dimps (which sucks).

Dimps Street Fighter games are like New Coke. lol

93xfan

Banned
Many other reasons have been listed i'm just illustrating that smash fans don't care about real fighting games that's all lol

I’m a Smash fan and I instantly recognized Terry Bogard in the reveal trailer.

Does this change your mind? Or did my use of punctuation and not signing off with “lol” hurt my credibility?

93xfan

Banned
Sure some may call smash a fighting game when you rip literally every thing out of it.
Don't go pretending what ever the hell they play on EVO is the normal game xD

Nothing is “ripped out.” The fighters move sets are made and balanced by testing them out 1v1.

And “party” game just means it’s fun in a group. It’s not usually not used in referring to an actual genre.

I originally didn’t like Smash at all. Bought it on GameCube and wrote it off as a game where you just mindlessly spammed moves. Then I had friends who turned off items and played on battlefield and Final Destination. This is when I started to see this game was very competitive and fun.

I’m wondering if some of you never stopped spamming down B as Yoshi either, and gave this series a fair chance.

Last edited:

FMXVII

Smash Ultimate is truly the peak of fighting game achievements

^^^^^

This is truly the gutter beneath the lowest trash of troll posts.

It's so basic, it's the undigested piece of corn clutching for relevance onto the most rancid, bloated shitpost topic of all time, made all the more pathetic by the fact that, in its autism-driven desire for acceptance, it fails to note the turd upon which it rests its claim to worldly significance, slowly yet inexorably sinking to the bottom of the bowl, grateful in the end, to at least escape its hanger-on's smell.

Aside from the terrible comparison of these two games, Street Fighter II being a arcade game originally, arguably made more money also. Especially if one takes the overall size of the industry of that era into consideration. It is one of the most popular games of all-time.
Leave out of all of the compilations the game has been released on, and you can create a nice click-bait article.

93xfan

Banned

yeah, SF5 was a lot of fun, once they got the launch issues squared away.
People are too hard on that game, IMO.
One small thing I loved is the way you can’t be KOd by chip damage. A small but important change for the better.

FMXVII

Smash is a great party action-platform game.

This I gladly admit.

It is even a great single player experience, anymore.

Smash is one of the best non-fighting games ever.

The series is easily within the top 10 thousand games of all time.

blackjon24

I’m a Smash fan and I instantly recognized Terry Bogard in the reveal trailer.

Does this change your mind? Or did my use of punctuation and not signing off with “lol” hurt my credibility?

Congrats? He's only been around for close to 30 years, you ask this to any self respecting fighting game fan and they know who he is. Majority of smash players didn't know and didn't care until now.

I don't understand why this is such a issue. I've been playing smash since 64 and played every game since I think it's a great series and love what they are doing with ultimate. Very competitive and technical but its clear to me that games like sf2, kof, soul calibur, blazblue, skull girls, mortal kombat are in one genre and smash is in another.

93xfan

Banned
Congrats? He's only been around for close to 30 years, you ask this to any self respecting fighting game fan and they know who he is. Majority of smash players didn't know and didn't care until now.

It was a response to a ridiculous prerequisite. This whole, “Smash players don’t know who he is“ does not prove anything. If I found most Mortal Kombat players also don’t know who he is, is Mortal Kombat less of a fighting game?

Last edited:

Spukc

Nothing is “ripped out.” The fighters move sets are made and balanced by testing them out 1v1.

And “party” game just means it’s fun in a group. It’s not usually not used in referring to an actual genre.

I originally didn’t like Smash at all. Bought it on GameCube and wrote it off as a game where you just mindlessly spammed moves. Then I had friends who turned off items and played on battlefield and Final Destination. This is when I started to see this game was very competitive and fun.

I’m wondering if some of you never stopped spamming down B as Yoshi either, and gave this series a fair chance.
Wrong

EDMIX

What are you talking about? Super Smash Bros. is a fighting game and Mario Kart is a racer. That's like if I were to say Call of Duty isn't a shooter but SOCOM is when they're just part of different sub-genres (first-person arcade and third-person tactical).

Well their point is simply it doesn't appeal to the same player base.

93xfan

Banned
Well their point is simply it doesn't appeal to the same player base.

Then they should state that. It’s pretty obvious that traditional fighter fans may not get into Smash, just as F-Zero racing fans may not like Mario Kart.

Maybe I’m the exception, but I played a ton of Street Fighter 5 online this gen and moved right on to Smash (1v1, no items, battlefield and omega). I can’t speak for others, but I loved how competitive it is and performing reversals and punishes and faking out opponents.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Don't go pretending is the normal game xD

You don’t even know what the rules are for competitive Smash? No wonder.
1v1, no items and battlefield or omega stages. Not complicated.

Keep playing and you’ll see it’s not a party game for long. Want me to link you some tip videos?

If you haven’t experienced the game this way, you’re not worth arguing with.
Your last comment shows what kind of time waster you are anyway.
Smug and uninformed. Unable or unwilling to debate with intellect.

Don’t worry about responding, this comment was made for others to see so they don’t fall into the same trap.

Last edited:

yurinka

That's not the argument. When people say these things, the core of what they are saying is that the appeal of Smash has 0 to do with it being a fighting game. Which is self evident. It's the big exclusive brand crossover party fighting game. If the series was like a Kingdom Hearts style JRPG thing instead of a fighting game, it would still be exactly as popular for the exact same reasons. Maybe moreso on an embarrassing anime amv obsession level. MK, SF, Tekken? Nah.

Improved in the sense that it got a cheap piece of shit knock off Netherrealm story mode and a generic arcade mode alongside more chars. Yay.

Y'know what's embarrassing? They released a new version of the game just because they spent 3 ham sandwiches making an arcade mode. That's just fucking pathetic dude.
Improved in a way that had input lag issues at launch and now has better input lag than basicaclly all their direct competitors. Had connection issues, matchmaking issues and other server issues at launch that have been fixed. Added 22 characters (more coming next week/month), a ton of stages, costumes and colors. In addition to the MK-like story mode added the biggest ever arcade mode ever with 6 paths (SF1, SF Alpha, SF2, SF3, SFIV, SFV, each path with an different ending for every character in addition to more than 500 unlockable illustrations for the artwork gallery), remade their survival mode improving the issues it had, added weekly missions and weekly challenges to unlock some extra costume for free, added a customizable dojo stage and many other things.

Soon they will also add an online Tournament mode that it's going to be the most ambitious and most complete in FGC history.

A key component of fighting games is fighting the controller to do what you want to do. Since most smash characters do what you want without making a circle motion or entering a secret password its not a fighting game.

Joking aside, I'm not a fighting game fan but more into rpgs. I'd be butt hurt too if someone said fallout 3 is a better rpg than 1 or 2. Oh wait, that happens.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Since its such a success I wonder why there aren't more clones?

There are tons of traditional 2D fighting game franchises and 3D fighting game franchises so why not more Smash clones?

I get that a big part of the appeal is the Nintendo characters but there are other big franchises that they could use in a clone. Marvel Smash? Star Wars Smash? Harry Potter Smash?

Bodatan

Banned
Since its such a success I wonder why there aren't more clones?

There are tons of traditional 2D fighting game franchises and 3D fighting game franchises so why not more Smash clones?

I get that a big part of the appeal is the Nintendo characters but there are other big franchises that they could use in a clone. Marvel Smash? Star Wars Smash? Harry Potter Smash?
Sony tried but failed.

Spukc

You don’t even know what the rules are for competitive Smash? No wonder.
1v1, no items and battlefield or omega stages. Not complicated.

Keep playing and you’ll see it’s not a party game for long. Want me to link you some tip videos?

If you haven’t experienced the game this way, you’re not worth arguing with.
Your last comment shows what kind of time waster you are anyway.
Smug and uninformed. Unable or unwilling to debate with intellect.

Don’t worry about responding, this comment was made for others to see so they don’t fall into the same trap.
That horse you are sitting on must be pretty tall.
Smash is party game pretending to be a fighter.
Kinda like a monkey wearing a golden ring.
At the end of the day it's still a stinking ape.
Keep pretending it's not a party game.
See if i care. I rather play the newest upcoming guilty gear game. You know real fighters.
Its hilarious tho as smash fans try so hard to validate their party game. By gutting the game of fun. And adding fighters from real fighting games.
Heck KOF terry stage gimmick is only there to lure in fighting fans. With the stage gimmick almost removing the need of this idiotic adhd floating garbage. Keep spewing bullshit.

Fyi i own all of the smash games. And yes i played terry last day. Big whoop.

Last edited:

Bodatan

Banned
That horse your sitting on must be pretty tall.
Smash is party game pretending to be a fighter.
Kinda like a monkey wearing a golden ring.
At the end of the day it's still a stinking ape.
Keep pretending it's not a party game.
See if i care. I rather play the newest upcoming guilty gear game. You know real fighters.
Its hilarious tho as smash fans try so hard to validate their party game. By gutting the game of fun. And adding fighters from real fighting games.
Heck KOF terry stage gimmick is only there to lure in fighting fans. With the stage gimmick almost removing the need of this idiotic adhd floating garbage. Keep spewing bullshit.

Fyi i own all of the smash games. And yes i played terry last day. Big whoop.
Sounds like a denial tbf. Smash is the best selling fighting game.

Nintendo has another series called Super Mario Party which is a party game.

This kind of denial is similar to Mario kart isn't a racing game and Pokemon isn't a Jrpg game. 🤣😂🤣

Spukc

Sounds like a denial tbf. Smash is the best selling fighting game.

Nintendo has another series called Super Mario Party which is a party game.

This kind of denial is similar to Mario kart isn't a racing game and Pokemon isn't a Jrpg game. 🤣😂🤣
Nah its more like comparing GT sport with mario kart. You could but why the hell would you.

Top Bottom