• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Club: Super Mario World: Complete goals to earn stamps! (Oct 1st - 15th)

Red Devil

What about more than 96 exits? It's possible with some complex glitches(I think some are only possible in the japanese version though).

Just had a beautiful moment in Cheese Bridge area. I was going for the secret exit so I brought yoshi and the cape, like the video in the OP. Well instead of doing it the video's way, I just ran and jumped off the first platform and blew past the platforms. I thought I'd fucked myself but then lo and behold yoshi kept hitting those saws perfectly so that if I just kept pressing forward I was totally safe. Did this the whole level through. Amazing stuff.

Just had a beautiful moment in Cheese Bridge area. I was going for the secret exit so I brought yoshi and the cape, like the video in the OP. Well instead of doing it the video's way, I just ran and jumped off the first platform and blew past the platforms. I thought I'd fucked myself but then lo and behold yoshi kept hitting those saws perfectly so that if I just kept pressing forward I was totally safe. Did this the whole level through. Amazing stuff.

I always
cape-swoop under it

Is this the game where lives became kind of meaningless? I'm only halfway done and have like 50 lives without trying.

Definitely. I still always save at Donut Ghost House so when I restart with 5 lives I can grab a few one-ups at Top Secret, along with some feathers, naturally. When I played it back when I was younger, I also made liberal use of this glitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zka6VLzfho

So, yeah, lives were never really an issue.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Definitely. I still always save at Donut Ghost House so when I restart with 5 lives I can grab a few one-ups at Top Secret, along with some feathers, naturally. When I played it back when I was younger, I also made liberal use of this glitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zka6VLzfho

So, yeah, lives were never really an issue.
Wouldn't it be faster to grab the star and get as many 1ups as you can then exit the level and repeat?

johnhandy

I think my favorite level in this game is Soda Lake. It's a short level but can still be challenging. There's only one power up in the level, and it's next to two torpedo launchers. If you go in small without Yoshi or an item stocked, then you only have two hits. The level can be made even more difficult by trying for all the regular and Yoshi coins in one run.

Madness

I must've been a little sadist to 96 exit as a kid. SMW is kicking my ass. The crazy thing is I remember a lot of the secrets and exits but just so hars to get them with the timing again.

jonjonaug

Has anyone gotten the glitch method here to work? https://pastebin.com/Wy6XKYmS

I can get it looking pixel perfect right up to the end, but it doesn't put me at the final screen and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, or even if I am doing anything wrong since AFAIK no one has checked if this works on this ROM+emu combo yet

EDIT: Funny thing is that the glitch screen it does take me to plays the sound that Bowser makes when you beat him, does that count?

EDIT 2: Eh, I'll screw around and see if I can get the orb glitch to work

jonjonaug

The bot won't stop PMing me. Maybe it hates double posts?

ooAipqF.png

Wouldn't it be faster to grab the star and get as many 1ups as you can then exit the level and repeat?

No. This video doesn't do a great job of showing it, but after you do this pattern for a while, the game completely loses its shit and starts giving you billions of points and coins and your lives will go to 99. It's easier if you get the halfway gate, start+select to exit the level, restart from halfway with full time and then do it. You'll max out your lives provided you don't touch ground.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm out of the house tonight. Will be home around 3-3:30 pacific and will check the logs when I get home. Sorry if it's still spamming you. Thanks for being an early tester, hahaha. Oopsie!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The bot won't stop PMing me. Maybe it hates double posts?

Really sorry about this. Ironically, an error in the code designed to STOP SNESbot from spamming people resulted in him not marking your update as processed... and as a result, PMing you every single time he had an opportunity to. Really, really sorry. Exact opposite of what the code was supposed to do. I fixed it ASAP when I got home. Not sure if anyone else was affected (some other people will still be in the PM queue, busy waiting for their passports because SNESbot was stuck on you. This shouldn't happen going forward. :(

Chittagong

Gold Member
Holy shit
Tubular
, I had no recollection that the
Special World
was so hard. I have no idea how I managed to complete it as a kid

Madness

Holy shit
Tubular
, I had no recollection that the
Special World
was so hard. I have no idea how I managed to complete it as a kid

Is that the bullshit one with the P balloons and you having to float through a lot of flying stuff? I hated that level as a kid.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Is that the bullshit one with the P balloons and you having to float through a lot of flying stuff? I hated that level as a kid.

That’s the one. Holy fucking shit, I was ready to break my controller after 30 tries. The walk of shame between each life back to get the cape. But the sense of satisfaction when finally nailing it was amazing!

Wingus

Just finished my 100% playthrough in approximately 3 hours or so. Even though I hadn't played the game in ages, I'm surprised at how much I remembered when it came to the secret exits. A true Nintendo classic from beginning to end.

Now onto my favourite Mario platformer - Yoshi's Island.

#euro #morton #luigi

Chittagong

Gold Member
Took me just under two days:

Vv9g335_d.jpg

12h of play time. I have no idea how Stump could do it in less than four :O

Managed to get all the exits without resorting to online help, which is pretty amazing, since I haven’t touched the game since the 90s.

It’s such a sublime game, it holds up even compared to the NSMBs - controls and level design is spot on. Definitely my fave Mario together with Super Mario 64.

Overall, just a magical game. I now remember how atmospheric it felt in the early 90s. It did technically so many things for the first time for Nintendo players

- Fog / translucency
- Echos
- Orchestral music
- Pixellation blur
- Zooming

The difficulty is spot on, there are bits that are hard as nails (especially Special World), but there is a really rewarding mechanic of learning and retrying, which just keeps you playing again and again. The thrill of finally completing a tough level is fantastic.

The controls and physics are really great too, I think SMW set the template for 2D Mario feeling.

#euro #morton #luigi

Stump, I don’t suppose you’d be willing to reveal what January game(s) will be? I’ll be out diving all month, and could catch up now while I’m ahead of the curve.

Jashobeam

slowly getting my skills back, I just ran through the first level of Contra without dying. I think I used up a continue the first few times I tried lol, but fuck that 2nd level with the top view and odd camera controls, I got dizzy playing that shit after 2 minutes. Doesn't help when I'm sitting so close to a 55' TV thanks to the short cord. I have no idea how I beat this game when I was younger.

I wish I could get my beat'm-up fix on the SNES Classic, it was such a great era for that genre.

edit: whoops, wrong thread!

This is such an awesome idea! Definitely going to participate once my SNES arrives, which should be by Wednesday.

I've never tried to abuse a glitch in any game before, so we'll see how the third challenge goes for me.

Gonna try and complete all the he goals on Monday since I have it off.

The orb glitch was surprisingly fun, and now I'm hitting it pretty consistently (I try it each time I boot up the system to try and get the muscle memory/positioning down). Definitely beat the game legit 96* first if you can, though I almost wish I had done this first and used it on tubular.

Seriously, F tubular.

This is such an awesome idea! Definitely going to participate once my SNES arrives, which should be by Wednesday.

I've never tried to abuse a glitch in any game before, so we'll see how the third challenge goes for me.

Just make sure to use a save state before attempting it, these glitches can corrupt your srm saves.

The orb glitch was surprisingly fun, and now I'm hitting it pretty consistently (I try it each time I boot up the system to try and get the muscle memory/positioning down). Definitely beat the game legit 96* first if you can, though I almost wish I had done this first and used it on tubular.

Seriously, F tubular.

As I've played SMW so many times, to make the run more fun, I've been doing various things to spice things up, one of them being trying to keep the same yoshi throughout special world that I went into it with.

Probably the first time I ever went in with a purple yoshi (I'd kept it from star road), and it makes the level absurdly easy, like "beat it on the first try" easy. So if anyone's having any trouble they can do it with that. Just be sure to eat one of the floating red koopas after hitting the p switch, and don't fly above as there are invisible wall above the top of the screen.

hivycox

For now at least #morton and #euro. It's a blast playing the game on the mini!

I will post a pic when I finish the 96 exit run though!

lsslave

Jew Gamer
SMW has a lot of levels where if you just fly or run through them the level seems like a boring waste of time, but if you set up your lines the way they're intended to, it's ingenious -- cases where enemy patterns are set up so that you can bounce off enough enemies to get a 1-up, blocks floating in air that are the exact right placement for you to land on them if you take a full speed blind jump off a cliff (1-3's first section is a great example of this) -- cases where there are platforms to land and take off from at exactly the place you need them for Yoshi + Cape. I think the more you replay it the more you realize how great a lot of the levels really are.

In order: Earthbound (beat game / all photos / stairs glitch your way to the end), FF6 (world of balance / beat the game / haven't decided between "get all rages" and "beat the game with minimum party complement"), Mana, Super Mario RPG. SMRPG will be the big finale.

For Super Punch-Out!!, the hardest goal stamp will probably be either a blindfolded run of the Minor Circuit or beating the entire game with no losses, no knockdowns, and quick KOs (best time on the leaderboard), and for F-Zero the top goal stamp will be getting a time within 10 seconds of the world record on Mute City 1 and the second goal stamp will be beating every cup on Master.

SOM challenge should be get every weapon to max level. That's a damn grind in the final dungeon hahaha.

FF6 could do more than WoB / WoR. Could do Beat the Game / Every Esper / Get every Shadow cutscenes for the star.

Started my run yesterday. Ignoring the star and just going for 96. Haven't ever done that and not using anything to help me find all the exits. So far so good! Although it'd be nice to know if there is a secret exit to look for in a level

What an amazing idea. This will be a lot of fun! I’m following along on 3DS and Wii U until I can snag a SNES Classic.

#morton
#luigi

I’ve now gotten 96 on my original SNES, the Wii U, and the 3DS!

SOM challenge should be get every weapon to max level. That's a damn grind in the final dungeon hahaha.

FF6 could do more than WoB / WoR. Could do Beat the Game / Every Esper / Get every Shadow cutscenes for the star.

Started my run yesterday. Ignoring the star and just going for 96. Haven't ever done that and not using anything to help me find all the exits. So far so good! Although it'd be nice to know if there is a secret exit to look for in a level

I think he's trying to keep the goals reasonable for the 40+ hour RPGs.

lsslave

Jew Gamer

Getting all weapons levelled up is about the only way to get 40 hours out of SoM lol. And that's the star challenge, I mean it'd take me 1000 hours to do SPO blindfolded!

Seriously.

Back in the mid 90s, FF6 was the only game I played.

I played through it almost ten times. I had runs where I collected every rage, got every item, and ran the clock just to see what happens after 99 hours and 59 minutes.

I NEVER saw Shadow's last cutscene. The RNG on it is insane.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Seriously.

Back in the mid 90s, FF6 was the only game I played.

I played through it almost ten times. I had runs where I collected every rage, got every item, and ran the clock just to see what happens after 99 hours and 59 minutes.

I NEVER saw Shadow's last cutscene. The RNG on it is insane.

I didn't know it was that hard. I did it first time I actually looked for them all... RNJesus was looking out for me I guess?

Could do a no Esper run for star then. Base stat growth and limited magic.

MrNelson

Banned
Just finished it.

I've owned the SNES version of this for about as long as I have been playing video games
23 years (.___. )
, and while I've beaten it several times, including the special world, I've never actually gone for all 96 exits.

That's gonna change today.

5jn5FQl.jpg

#morton

The red dots on the map have a secret exit.

Kinsei

Banned
I started playing today and made it to the forest of illusion. The secret exits were such a great addition. Back in SMB1-3 there wasn't really any incentive to hunt for secrets if you weren't struggling since all you really got from them were 1-ups or the ability to skip levels. By adding hidden levels it gives everyone an incentive to hunt for the exits regardless of how skilled they are at the game.

I'm sure Mario World and the DKC games were the main reasons I became a completionist.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I did something today that I've never done before in SMW, I got a 50 star bonus at the end of a level. I never knew there was an amount higher than 40.

Tiktaalik

It is so incredibly fun to control Mario in this game. I'm just sitting by myself playing laughing in delight at the narrow victories over little baddies and minor feats I'm able to pull off, dancing around the screen throwing shells, bouncing off baddies and flying around.

Top Bottom