• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Club: Super Mario World: Complete goals to earn stamps! (Oct 1st - 15th)

Skyless

Neo Member
Took me around 4 hours to complete all 96 levels. I missed the second exit in Donut Ghost House since there already was a path and I had to look that up. Shame on me. Also suprising I still know so much from SMW. Nothing really troubled me besides Awesome in the Bonus World where I lost like 15 lives in a row.
Other than that it took me more than 30 minutes for that orb glitch. After I realized how to it, it is rather easy. Maybe I'll give the cloud glitch a shot. Finished castle 7 with the orb and got my last stage with it.

#euro #morton #luigi #goomba

8eX5f6J.jpg
or6vfIF.jpg

Tunoku

#euro
#morton

I only have 46 of the exits, not sure if I have the motivation to go back for it now. Curious to try out Super Punch-Out next. I only ever played the Wii game and some sections from the Remix game for Wii U.

Shiggy

I went through the Star World directly to Bowser and beat him, and forgot/didn't know that you cannot save after beating him. Had to rewind just because I didn't want to lose progress of all those Star World and other levels.

Also, does Super Mario World on SNES not have any level overview? Super Mario Advance 2 had these:

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Killer Yakuza B: If you didn't get the passport update with the final stamp then SNESbot didn't pick up your edit after the glitch, so feel free to reply to the thread again with it :)

Edit: I'm just going to manually process it.

I went through the Star World directly to Bowser and beat him, and forgot/didn't know that you cannot save after beating him. Had to rewind just because I didn't want to lose progress of all those Star World and other levels.

Also, does Super Mario World on SNES not have any level overview? Super Mario Advance 2 had these:

Nope. Early days of the SNES most games didn't have nice features like that.

Threw my cart in because I knew I beat star road but couldn't recall if I tracked down every exit. Looks like I fell a couple short. Correcting the wrongs of the past with a fresh playthrough. Shame there isn't a date on saves. I'd bet I haven't loaded it up since 91/92-ish. No memory at all who gave up at 18. Maybe a friend/sibling.

Just like God intended.

I've never even considered this but the switches being off the beaten path totally make sense they are optional boosts and not the core path. Too far along in my current playthrough but I might have to do a second loop and give this a shot.

Havok1313

KL44Pmkl.jpg

#morton
#luigi

Got every exit on the first pass besides the Valley Ghost house and one of the regular exits on Star Road that I had to track down. It's so weird how many secrets I could remember despite not playing this in at least 15 years.

Not content with mastering it myself, I taught my daughter how to do the orb glitch. Here she is super excited she pulled it off.

She's since done it like 7 or 8 times. She loves breaking the game now.

Going to learn how to do the cloud glitch next and teach her that.

Then after... Arbitrary code execution.

Kinsei

Banned
I managed to do the orb glitch on my second attempt. Yay!

4zqo2dl.png

And here's me forgetting you can Kaizo yourself with it and dropping it too close to a ledge..

mVS3WBq.png

While that is certainly breaking the game, I doubt it counts for the challenge. After a full half hour trying to pull off the glitch again I decided to pack it in for the night. I'll try again tomorrow.

Holy crap i wish I knew how to do this at age 7... I'd have blown so many minds. Watching my daughter do it consistently is amazing.

She keeps doing it, then trying the orb in different levels and giggling every time it Kaizos Mario.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm really pumped that obscure memory overflow speedrunning glitches are being attempted by so many people, and passed on to a new generation. :D

I managed to do the orb glitch on my second attempt. Yay!

https://i.imgur.com/4zqo2dl.png

And here's me forgetting you can Kaizo yourself with it and dropping it too close to a ledge..

https://i.imgur.com/mVS3WBq.png

While that is certainly breaking the game, I doubt it counts for the challenge. After a full half hour trying to pull off the glitch again I decided to pack it in for the night. I'll try again tomorrow.

Why didn't you just Rewind it?...

dankir

Just got mine today and I can't get over how tiny it is! Its so cute! I realized I had 7 of these games when I got my SNES and just found out that Kirby Dream Course is part of the collection! The last SNES game I ever bought and one of my favorite.

Gartooth

I'm going for all levels from the start so I haven't been focusing on shortcuts too much.

That said fuck Larry's Castle. The first stretch isn't hard with the moving blocks, but what's evil is the Magikoopas afterwards, that when I die force me to repeat the long and boring moving blocks. A couple levels in this world have been tedious, but this takes the cake.

Awwwww yeah

Wait why does the orb look like one of those weird mummy enemies? Oh well whatever. I went on to finish the game via the 11-exit route. That was pretty neat!

#goomba

Next up, maybe I'll take a crack at the cloud glitch.

Simply put, the orb sprite is only loaded on a very few select levels. Every other level will have a different enemy sprite stored in it's memory location instead. Since you did it in a castle level, a castle enemy was there. If you use it on the same level as you get it, you'll get a semi-squashed dino enemy.

Ahh the fun of working within the super limited ram of the time.

Going through the Special World. Never done this before, so it's interesting. Tubular kicked my ass as promised, but Awesome also gave me a lot of trouble until I just said fuck it and went and got a cape and just flew over everything. Only two left!

Going through the Special World. Never done this before, so it's interesting. Tubular kicked my ass as promised, but Awesome also gave me a lot of trouble until I just said fuck it and went and got a cape and just flew over everything. Only two left!

Make sure not to go through the end "reward" of Special unless you are ready for the game to change to a whole new look.

KaYotiX

Banned
Just finished it and all exits (used a guide), I love this game so much. Really brought back memories as a kid.

#morton #luigi

Killer Yakuza B: If you didn't get the passport update with the final stamp then SNESbot didn't pick up your edit after the glitch, so feel free to reply to the thread again with it :)

Edit: I'm just going to manually process it.
Ah! Thanks for sorting it out! I thought that might have been it when I didn't get the update but decided to wait and see. Now I know not to edit new hashtags into a post in the future! Sorry I made you go out of your way and fix it yourself. I had a lot of fun doing that challenge and will probably try to get the other glitches going as well.

Is there a downside to this? Or is it just aesthetics?
Just aesthetics. The overworld gets color-swapped and a bunch of enemy sprites get changed, but the game is exactly the same otherwise. I've always wanted a way to change things back to normal...

Just aesthetics. The overworld gets color-swapped and a bunch of enemy sprites get changed, but the game is exactly the same otherwise. I've always wanted a way to change things back to normal...

Always thought that just going through the final Special exit again should change it back, but nope. It's fine though, just no way to go back if you prefer the normal look. For people that have played the game a ton it's a good thing to do as early as possible to see the world in a different light.

gweemz

Should get my snes classic today, so I am excited to start off with playing my favorite game of all time! Have never done the orb glitch, as the only one I knew about was the one in yoshis island 2 level. This one looks so much easier!

Akim

Banned
I found out the hard way vanilla and choco ghost houses don't have secret exits. I was wondering why I couldn't remember...

Paskil

I was stuck at 95 over the weekend and this thread reminded me about the ghost house in the Forest of Illusion, so thanks for that, people in this thread!! I got my full completion after work last night and have now moved onto Earthbound (will return for Punch Out).

Tubular was always my most problematic level. This play through only took me three tries to get the win. I don't really think any of the levels are overly difficult. I did recent play through of SMB3 a few months ago and had a lot more difficulty with a couple of levels in the last world in that game, compared to this game. My other most difficult level in SMW is the special level with all the bullet bills. I cheated this time and flew over the entire level, lol. #Morton #luigi

gattsu

I'm not very far into my playthrough of this yet (first time), but after starting and thinking it was just average, I'm starting to get why people love this game now. Levels are immaculately designed in terms of the jumps, the secrets, and the "flow". It feels really, REALLY good to just play this game once you get into the groove.

Kinsei

Banned
Tubular was always tough for me too. Had no trouble with it this time through for whatever reason. Outrageous (the bullet bill) was rough though. I tried to fly through, but managed to get knocked off a cliff near the end by a flying hammer bro. Rather than go back out and get a new cape I figured I'd just beat it the old-fashioned way. Took me a dozen+ lives but I got there in the end! Truly outrageous.

I also had a much easier time with Tubular than I usually do. The level that managed to stump me for a bit was actually Awesome. Which in hindsight is actually a fairly simple level, I was just too impatient.

I'm not very far into my playthrough of this yet (first time), but after starting and thinking it was just average, I'm starting to get why people love this game now. Levels are immaculately designed in terms of the jumps, the secrets, and the "flow". It feels really, REALLY good to just play this game once you get into the groove.

Yeah, the overall consistency in the quality of levels in this game is certainly somethign to be admired. While I think that SMB3 has higher highs than SMW, it also has lower lows. There's only a single level in SMW that I consider to be bad, Valley of Bowser 2.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Some PAL trivia:

Mostly, Super Mario World came bundled with the console, so there wasn’t a box for it in most places. However, around 1994 I learned that there was a box in the UK, and it was glorious. Japanese box art, red background. Epic. I wrote to UK, and asked the distributor if I could have a box to Finland. They kindly sent one for free to me.

$(KGrHqNHJBEFBbTu6e-LBQ9z4edZPQ~~60_57.JPG

However, it was also the weirdest box, as the colour didn’t match the label or the manual. Somehow it felt KIRF. In fact, the screenshots were oddly bad quality, unlike official Nintendo box art.

14626_back.jpg

Maybe Bandai made it and unofficially unbundled some Super NES consoles. So, I always felt incomplete. This great game never had a real box, I thought.

Until today.

I learned that there actually *was* a yellow box Super Mario World. A sealed copy fetched for 13,000 EUR!

&

How did this ever exist, without anyone knowing?

Finally, the galaxy is at peace.

Top Bottom