• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Club: Super Mario World: Complete goals to earn stamps! (Oct 1st - 15th)

I started playing today and made it to the forest of illusion. The secret exits were such a great addition. Back in SMB1-3 there wasn't really any incentive to hunt for secrets if you weren't struggling since all you really got from them were 1-ups or the ability to skip levels. By adding hidden levels it gives everyone an incentive to hunt for the exits regardless of how skilled they are at the game.

To be fair, there were a handful of secret suit (Frog/Tanooki/Hammer Bro) drops in SMB3. Trying to find and hold onto them made replays pretty fun.

Played through to the end of the game - doing some but not all secret exits along the way (but making sure to do ones that I knew I would forget otherwise). At 70 at the moment, so 26 more to go.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How are you guys tracking play/completion time? Just doing it manually?

The save states track the amount of played time on that save state -- note that this is not the true play time, since for example you could play through half of SMW saving to the battery save, reset the console, load the save, the time ont he save state will only be the time on the reset.

I played continuously on the single save state from when I got my 11-exit ("7" on the title screen) win until 96* and got 3:41. The time on my 11-exit save was 0:20 so I figure it took me about 4 hours give or take, maybe minus a few minutes for the credits.

I've never really been into 2D platformers but holy cow this game has some really incredible design. I don't know how it does it but it constantly feels fresh and interesting.

cupraab

Neo Member
i finished it in one run and it took 4-5 hours :D

22197612_149959508344n1lh6.jpg

#morton #luigi

Knox

https://i.imgur.com/7EBVZmw.jpg

#morton #luigi

I had a hard time tracking down the last exit. I was missing one in the Ghost House in the forest but couldn't tell because the path was already there.

Good idea for a thread. I wish they had some kind of progress tracking/achievements built in because I plan on playing through everything eventually and trying to max things out, so this is a good alternative!

Withnail

#luigi #morton #euro

Really enjoyed playing through this over the past couple of days - last time I completed the game was on my SNES over 20 years ago. Playing it on a proper SNES pad again was so good.

I think SMW is probably the best game ever made, it's perfect.

Time to get a head start on Super Punch Out.

neoemonk

I love Super Mario World. It has been many years since I've put any real time into it, despite having it on Wii and Wii U VC. Seems like a good reason to pick it up now I guess. I don't know about the memory glitch stuff but I think I can pull of 96 stars.

I had a hard time tracking down the last exit. I was missing one in the Ghost House in the forest but couldn't tell because the path was already there.

Thanks for posting this! I was stuck at 95 exits, and was missing exactly the same one. I thought I was going to need to make a checklist and go through them one by one; you just made my day.

Well, with the last exit found, this is officially the first time I've ever found all 96. I don't think I ever finished the special zone either back in the day. Man, were some of those levels brutal. I can imagine those levels are what inspired others to make the ridiculous levels people made for SMW and posted on youtube back in the day, and carried on the tradition with mario maker.

#morton
#luigi

Has anyone successfully completed the skip to end credits glitch on the SNES classic? All the videos I've seen pulling it off are on actual original SNES hardware, and I'd rather not spend a bunch of time practicing if it doesn't work properly on the SNES classic.

Thanks for posting this! I was stuck at 95 exits, and was missing exactly the same one. I thought I was going to need to make a checklist and go through them one by one; you just made my day.

Hey guys:

the "backwards" way of the ghost house in the Forest of Illusion
(I know it serves a purpose if you hadn't gotten the path the other way, but still)

jwhit28

Finally finished up. This is the game that would be pictured in the dictionary next to the word video game for me. Despite playing it through hundreds of times this was the first time I ever noticed that if you hold up while sticking Yoshi's tongue out he does a more upright tongue grab. The overworld is such a big part of making this feel like a huge adventure. It really is a lost artform as indie games mostly go with SMB3 style boardgame style overworlds or break each world up DKC style.

#morton
#luigi
#goomba

jholmes

I'll at the very least go through and cheese my way to a quick Bowser kill. Not sure I'll 96* in time, I've done it many times before though.

I've actually never used any of these glitches, are any of them particularly interesting? I could do the orb glitch but it seems like that just skips a level. I might do that anyway though just to screw with it.

Also... I beat Star Fox today while unlocking Star Fox 2 and I may not have time to participate on that week so I'm just making a little note to myself so I can grab that stamp when the time comes.

Karu

Grinded 99 lifes in the second level earlier. My journey can continue. I am utterly hopeless in regards to 2D Mario games. Though, this time I am dedicated to slog through this no matter what. Going beyond World 3 would be a Start, lol. So yeah, besides the motivational factor the actual stamp system won't really mattr to me, haha.

Madness

How are you guys doing this. I am having so much trouble. I easily did 96 exits as a kid. But I am struggling so much. I almost want to blame the emulation but the truth is, I now suck as a gamer.

I love this thread. Won't have a single stamp but will follow and see yours and Stumps and everyone's exploits.

How are you guys doing this. I am having so much trouble. I essily did 96 exits as a kid. But I am struggling so much. I almost want to blame the emulation but the truth is, I now suck as a gamer.

I've played through this game probably almost every year between 1991 and now. It's an amazing game, and one I'm constantly replaying.

Bii

The save state shows it.

Only if you save and load exclusively through it, which is not something I or a lot of others did. Would be nice if it had a total playtime thing separate.

The save states track the amount of played time on that save state -- note that this is not the true play time, since for example you could play through half of SMW saving to the battery save, reset the console, load the save, the time ont he save state will only be the time on the reset.

I played continuously on the single save state from when I got my 11-exit ("7" on the title screen) win until 96* and got 3:41. The time on my 11-exit save was 0:20 so I figure it took me about 4 hours give or take, maybe minus a few minutes for the credits.

Thanks, guys! I didn't use the save state so I guess I'll ballpark my time when I finally finish the game. Must have played an hour or so and now have 27 exits.

How are you guys doing this. I am having so much trouble. I easily did 96 exits as a kid. But I am struggling so much. I almost want to blame the emulation but the truth is, I now suck as a gamer.

I love this thread. Won't have a single stamp but will follow and see yours and Stumps and everyone's exploits.

You're not alone in finding the game extremely difficult. I found myself dying quite a bit, even in some of the stages in world 2. It's funny, because I don't remember having trouble with the game back in the day either, but I can attest that this time, it was not easy getting all 96 exits.

The thing about SMW is that even though it's tough, you have so much control, it always feels like it's your fault when you die rather than the game. It's tough, but fair.

If you find yourself running out of lives, just go to vanilla secret 2 and use the following method to get around 50. If you have the Top Secret area behind the ghost house on the donut plains, go there to get a yoshi and 2 capes if required.

If I was really stuck on an area, sometimes, I'd go back and try again with a yoshi and 2 capes, and sometimes that made the difference.

Of course, if you're not enjoying yourself, don't force it. In my case, I didn't have an easy go of it, and by the end, I was glad I pushed through.

Just a reminder to anyone struggling, make sure your tv is in game mode and that no post processing is enabled. It's easy to forget that most tvs save settings per source, so if you plugged the classic into an hdmi source you don't normally use for gaming, that could be giving you input lag.

I really want to get in on this but I also want to beat this on my PAL SNES Classic... maybe I'll just have to finish it twice in the near future.

Will you guys be playing some of the games with hacks? I'll play FFVI with the Brave New World mod, which rebalances the game and tweaks the Esper equip mechanic.

Just like God intended.
You absolute madman.

I'm up to 56 exits last I checked. Most of the way through Forest of Illusion, only passed up on 3 of the multi exit stages. I've got all of the base star road completed, none of the special stages yet. All switch palaces because I'm not a masochist. I'm surprised by how many of the secrets I remember. But wow, I cannot do these platforming games like I could when I was 11. I just randomly fling myself off things for absolutely no reason. Getting the Cheese Bridge secret might well kill me.

Will you guys be playing some of the games with hacks? I'll play FFVI with the Brave New World mod, which rebalances the game and tweaks the Esper equip mechanic.

I'm tempted just because I've never tried with the bnw mod. As long as it's "thread legal" (I can still get my badges) and the hack for snesce.it's stable by then I will.

I really want to get in on this but I also want to beat this on my PAL SNES Classic... maybe I'll just have to finish it twice in the near future.
No rush! The dates in op are a soft date, you can complete the goals from any game in any of the threads dedicated to this.

Cloud glitch proving to be beyond my skills. Going for orb since the setup is fewer steps, unless there's a way to do cloud glitch as fire mario without needing the shell spit.

MrNelson

Banned
Took a bit longer than I expected. Managed to get through the special world without much issue
obligatory"Fuck Tubular"
, but what tripped me up was that I had missed an exit somewhere along the way. So I spent about 15 minutes going through the map making sure I hit both exits in all the red areas, then I realized I missed the Valley Ghost House secret exit.

Fuck that control coin room. I don't think I had as much trouble with anything in the game as I did trying to get that platform to line up just right so I could get to the key. Thank God I finally managed it!

Ef0dVPu.jpg

#luigi

what tripped me up was that I had missed an exit somewhere along the way. So I spent about 15 minutes going through the map making sure I hit both exits in all the red areas, then I realized I missed the Valley Ghost House secret exit.

Hey guys:

the "backwards" way of the ghost house in the Forest of Illusion
(I know it serves a purpose if you hadn't gotten the path the other way, but still)

I tried to warn you all...
Maybe I should have been more direct... or not spoilered it.

Just a reminder to anyone struggling, make sure your tv is in game mode and that no post processing is enabled. It's easy to forget that most tvs save settings per source, so if you plugged the classic into an hdmi source you don't normally use for gaming, that could be giving you input lag.

Quoting for importance. Anyone finding the game more difficult than they remember should definitely make sure they have their TVs "game mode" enabled. On most modern TVs, it can make a huge difference. Especially since if you played it back in the day, you would have been using a CRT TV, which has no input lag whatsoever.

In my case, I already have my TV set to a low input lag mode, and I still found the game more difficult than I remembered, but it's worth making sure that isn't a factor in your own situation.

Beefwheat

After 5ish hours I thought I'd methodically completed everything, but when I reset the game my save file read...95?! Mario Mania (which I actually hadn't consulted up to that point) helped me find
the tiny shortcut from the Ghost House near Bowser's Castle
. However,
in trying to make a staircase with the line of coins you get before using the P-switch, I actually managed to blindly thread it through the one-block gap where the key is. Made me burst out laughing. Couldn't do that again if I tried.

Great times!

j1QDCxG.jpg

#morton #luigi

p.s. I am not ashamed that I cheesed a few levels (including a few Star Roads) with the cape

Flying Fish

Neo Member
Usually I like to beat all of the castles and fortresses before sneaking through the back door, but this time I thought I'd beeline straight to Bowser via Star Road.

It felt wrong.

RowdyReverb

Beat SMW. Took my 30 minutes because I was rusty. I’d go for the others, but I want to play other games! #morton
60OhbAs_d.jpg

Usually I like to beat all of the castles and fortresses before sneaking through the back door, but this time I thought I'd beeline straight to Bowser via Star Road.

It felt wrong.
Same here

Just beat the game with 48 (!) exits. Didn't go out of my way to get extra exits at all, just did the ones that I like and remember the best. Although I didn't take the Star Road shortcuts or anything like that, obviously, I did kill my first Big Boo! Anyway, I'll probably be done with all 96 exits later tonight since I know what I'm doing.

It had been a while since I'd gotten all exits, more than a decade for sure. The last time I did it on the GBA version one boring afternoon when my brother had taken the GameCube to our grandparent's house and I didn't have anything else to play. Back then I was surprised and happy to see how well I remembered every single secret but then I was really mad at myself for not remembering how to get the really easy exit that makes the shortcut into Bowser's Castle in the final world. This time I also remembered a lot of exits although my brother kept laughing at me every time I had to stop to remember something (by now he knows this game by heart, he plays it to completion almost yearly).

The first time we played Super Mario World was a little while after getting a Super Nintendo in November 1993 along with Star Fox. So it must have been in early 1994, I guess. My cousin also had a SNES by then and he also with Star Fox so he traded his cartridge for Super Mario World so we could have more games and when he lent it to us we went crazy about it.

Since we live in Cuba it was our uncle in the USA who got us most of our games, along with my parents and grandparents who were able to visit every once in a while for work, so one time that my father's aunt was coming to visit she asked my uncle what would make a good present for my brother and I. My uncle's reply was something like: "you can't go wrong with anything Mario" which is pretty sound advice for sure, but thank God she went for Super Mario World and we didn't end up with Mario is Missing instead! I shudder at the thought and marvel at how lucky we were and at how different our lives would have turned out. In any case, we loved having our own copy of the game and this time we didn't have to stop playing until we both got every secret exit. Some time later we traded a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles toy (I think it was Slash) for Mario Mania and although we had already gotten all 96 exits by then we loved the crap out of that guide, mostly for the awesome illustrations.

This is a good thread. Looking forward to playing the rest of the games!

#morton

SMW_1.png
SMW_0.png
SMW_2.png

And 96 exits found. Had a bit of a scare coming back to the title screen and finding I had 95 exits after finishing the Special World but it took me all of a minute to realise which one I was missing: the one in the Forest of Illusion Ghost House which doesn't really lead you anywhere new.

What a great game. Neato burrito. Awesome possum.

I'll see about getting the Star Goal but I doubt I'll be able to get any of those glitches going. Should be fun any way!

#luigi

SMW_3.png

Edit:

Well, that was quick! And fun! I did the orb glitch. I'd no idea it was so wasy to do, got it on my third attempt!

#goomba

I hope these screenshots are proof enough but I can do it again if something else is necessary:

SMW_4.png
SMW_5.png
SMW_6.png
SMW_7.png

Mr Rivuz

What a cool idea, it will be fun playing through the mini snes games with you guys. I'm kinda worried for Contra 3 and SGnG...
I'll begin playing SMW today, trying the glitch thing too if it isn't too hard.

Top Bottom