• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

LordRaptor

Amusingly, since I asked for consolidated posts with art, the only people to step forward have been with the Switch style ones! Ah well.

I mean, outside of what - is it BGBW? - is doing with remaking boxarts PAL style, if the built in google doesn't find an okay result, an actual google search will find nicer custom US SNES style boxarts for the majority of titles, even ones that never got an NTSC release

ocean

Banned
Damn was Super Mario always this hard or was it just easier with six year old jacked-up reflexes.

I've been stuck at Lemmy's Castle for a good while now. I've made it to the boss a few times but I usually get destroyed by the wizard bastard at the very beginning. That ranged attack of his is fast and goes on forever and sometimes I don't have enough room to jump over it or anything. Thank god for save states, I'll get through this eventually.

As for the rest of the system, holy shit SF2 feels slow as molasses. I gotta get used to it again, getting my ass handed to me. It's a great title though. DK is fantastic as always. This is a great little system, so glad I managed to snag a preorder.

Nintendo 64 Mini: so ready for you. That'll be the true king. In terms of couch multiplayer that thing might be the GOAT. Stuff like 4 player Smash, Mario Kart, DK, single player masterpieces like Mario 64, Zelda OoT/MM... the library may be on the small side but it's a perfect fit for the amount of games we can expect from a curated Mini catalog anyways.

I'm getting heartburn just imagining the goddamn hassle it'll be to order first-party additional N64 controllers for the Mini though (basically no chance of them bundling it with the REQUIRED 4)

Robin64

I mean, outside of what - is it BGBW? - is doing with remaking boxarts PAL style, if the built in google doesn't find an okay result, an actual google search will find nicer custom US SNES style boxarts for the majority of titles, even ones that never got an NTSC release

Well indeed. It's part of why I didn't want to dedicate too much space to that, even though some people were desperate for albums etc to be made.

Don't have video proof for you, but yes. It fucking works! Just tested with two games.

Excellent!

Was I correct in saying that manually picking a border then overwrites the global settings and stops it working?

soundtest

Banned
Tried SFA2 after all these years. I remember this port being much more impressive than this lol. Still neat to have it on mini even if it's just a curiosity.

Dimentios

Was I correct in saying that manually picking a border then overwrites the global settings and stops it working?

1. Video uploaded (potatoes)

2. By manually picking another border, that new border will be there for every game including those with the edited command line. However, if you chose the first system border again (black one), the command line works again and your custom borders show up.

Robin64

2. By manually picking another border, that new border will be there for every game including those with the edited command line. However, if you chose the first system border again (black one), the command line works again and your custom borders show up.

Figured as much. Thanks for confirming.

ParityBit

1. Video uploaded (potatoes)

Could you remove the system boarders so that they can never be selected? Just curious.

Dimentios

Could you remove the system boarders so that they can never be selected? Just curious.

You can replace them or straight up delete them I guess. I don't know if the system will have any display difficulties if there are less than 4 borders to chose from tho.

Of course only in the folder you overwrite to. The other one is read-only.

Mr. Hyde

Has anyone seen a switch style icon for 7th saga? And I should get to making switch style box arts for genesis/nes games so they don't look out of place. I put a few of my favorite from my collection on the snes mini.

Mr. Hyde

Has anyone encountered this in their FTP?

"Copying files from remote side failed.
shell command "cat "/usr/share/games/CLV-P-SAAAE/autoplay"" returned exit code 1: cat: read error: Is a directory
"

This is when trying to download all the folders for the 21 original games to my pc so I can set it up for modding the art. I have connections set to 1 in WinSCP

Mr. Hyde

Try to download one file or one folder at a time.

Oh, nvmd.

Good idea. It's the autoplay file in the folder that isn't allowed to be downloaded. Every other file is fine.

Edit: I just batch queued and skipped all on the autoplay file. I hope that's not needed.

Mr. Hyde

Where is the "snes_games" folder for hakchi in the snes mini files? I think I am missing something right in front of me.

Edit: Nevermind. I think I figured it out. The actual folder where hacki2 is setup. D'oh.

eshock

How open are the SRAM saves for the original 21 games? If I want to add the Mario RPG color buttons hack, but I already started a game on stock Mario RPG, can I copy and rename its SRAM file?

PMS341

MyEpitomeCliché;251900159 said:
Are there currently any hmods available for changing the game title font? Like the one made for the NESCE?

I was actually looking into this. I'm not certain how to convert/break down .fnt or .font files back to .otf or .ttf, but if I can figure that out, I'll at least be able to do it manually.

Currently, they are located in /usr/share/ui/snes-usa/resources/fonts, as such:

3UnqRpr.jpg

I need Futura everywhere.

Mr. Hyde

It'll just be a subfolder in hakchi if you used the portable version, and in Documents if you used the web installer.

Thanks! I figured it out when I realized it had to be something in front of my eyes.

Now, I need to find donkey country 1 and Earthbound switch style art! I don't see them in the linked websites in the sticky.

Robin64

Has anyone tried Doom or Stunt Race FX?

I admit, I'm afraid to, I don't want to see my SNES Classic suddenly explode.

Doom runs like a sack of shit. Even worse than on the SNES, unless you use -no-lowlatency and -boost-fx 2 to. And even then, it's shockingly bad.

one4myhomies

Neo Member
Pardon my ignorance, but who's updating the game compatibility log? and if a game is not listed does it just mean it hasn't been tested yet?

Reason I ask is, I don't see the original Tecmo Super Bowl listed. I played the game last night with no issues.

Trying to keep up with this thread, last time I checked Bust-A-Move and Krusty's Super Fun House had issues running on the SNES Classic, has there been any improvement with the newer versions of Hakchi? I saw BuddyC's post had a Bust-A-Move box art in it so I assume it runs now but I'm also kinda thinking Krusty's SFH might be something too obscure so I either should give up on or see if it runs via one of the other emulators you can load on.

Bust a move works totally fine for me, played about a half hour yesterday no issues, I'm on hakchi2 v2.21c

Santar

Pardon my ignorance, but who's updating the game compatibility log? and if a game is not listed does it just mean it hasn't been tested yet?

Reason I ask is, I don't see the original Tecmo Super Bowl listed. I played the game last night with no issues.
I've been wondering this too, I've played a few games with issues that are not on the list.

prateeko

You know which background is surprisingly addictive? The US SNES boxart one. I absolutely love it. Whenever I notice it the game looks like coverart, but it's unobtrusive enough to fade away.

Mr. Hyde

Okayyyy. I think I have every game with Switch style box art except the few genesis/nes games I have on the system. I cannot decide if I want to hide those using folders or make Switch style icons for them. Augh I should play the actual system.

Robin64

The spreadsheet of compatability is maintained by some reddit and gbatemp folks, but it is awful, I agree. They constantly fight over which games work and don't, some think it working in Retroarch counts, they get things wrong, etc. But it's a good starting point.

PMS341

The spreadsheet of compatability is maintained by some reddit and gbatemp folks, but it is awful, I agree. They constantly fight over which games work and don't, some think it working in Retroarch counts, they get things wrong, etc. But it's a good starting point.

This, and with the newest hakchi, problem games tend to be sorted out via window prompts as it is. Not every title, naturally, but it definitely helps.

Also, still messing around with the fonts. I opened "title.font" up in Notepad and it mentions "title_bmf_0.png" in the header (as well as Yu Gothic UI, the current font), though it is clearly calling to a font sheet of sorts. Couldn't seem to find the file when searching remotely, but I'm sure I just need to dig around some more.

TheMoon

I've been fascinated by this, and done some further research.

I believe it's actually not a Nintendo Australia design, but rather it's a NCL (Japan) design, since SCN and UKV used that format a lot in the late years, as well.

NOE style box - first party games only

Markets
- Germany
- Rest of PAL markets, sporadically

Games
- First party games only

Used
- 1992-1997 (Germany)
- 1994 (other markets, sporadically)

Designed by
NOA, modified by NOE

mEeH_WVJ6AJxzBfiLu6tHMw.jpg

Old NCL style box
Markets
- Germany (third party games only)
- Rest of PAL markets

Games
- First party games 1992-1994 (except for Germany)
- Third party games

Used
- 1992-1997 (third party games)
- 1992-1994 (first party games, except for Germany)

Designed by
NCL

New NCL style box

Markets
- AUS, UKV, SCN

Games
- First party games 1995-1997

Used
- 1994-1997

Designed by
NCL

Post 1995, Nintendo released games in PAL regions in both old NCL style and new NCL style for a while, before fully settling on the new style. All games were also released in the NOE style.

Nintendo Australia was the first to adopt the new NCL style, and was most consitent in using it, however, probably because they didn't have NOE close by to mess things up with US-like NOE style boxes.

Here are some examples of the new NCL box in UK and Scandinavia, note lack of Australia rating symbol:

The first ever new NCL style box seems to be Wario's Woods in late 1994, where UKV used old NCL style, and Australia used new NCL style.

The Australian version seems to be incredibly rare, I haven't even been able to find a picture of the AUS box, but the new label shows it's the new NCL style.

According to my calculation, only 13 games were ever shipped in the new NCL style box.

1995+ games with old style NCL box only (+NOE style)
- Tetris & Dr Mario

1995+ games with new NCL style box only (+ NOE style)
- Arkanoid
- Donkey Kong Country 2
- Donkey Kong Country 3
- Kirby's Fun Pak
- Secret of Evermore
- Space Invaders
- Terranigma
- Tetris Attack
- Yoshi's Island

1995+ games with both old and new NCL style boxes (+ NOE style)
- Super Mario World (late SCN re-release)
- Wario's Woods
- Kirby's Dream Course
- Kirby's Avalanche

Fascinating and headache inducing. :D

Top Bottom