• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Added to the OP below the section about adding custom borders to the SNES Mini. :)

Just wanna point out that if you're doing custom borders for every game, you don't need to put them in your backgrounds folder, or even overmount your backgrounds folder at all, because you're setting the exact path to the file as a command line option. You could put them in a different folder so that you don't clutter up your options screen with borders that will never be selected.

It's also possible to modify the launch script or the hakchi wrapper to allow custom borders per game, while falling back to the one selected from the options screen, but I haven't had the time to sit down and figure that out yet.

Linkhero1

Enjoy your blasphemy.

xnU2Sug.png

Into my veins.
Thank you

Akoi

I got an SNES classic yesterday, and I read that hacking it may brick the console. How likely is this? I definitely can't afford to find one again.

Backup the Kernel and you should be fine, but there are never any guarantees on this stuff. (though I don't know or heard of anyone bricking theirs yet doing this)

I love hacking console hardware honestly. (I have a hacked 3DS, PS2, Original Xbox, Wii U, NES Classic, SNES Classic, etc)

BuddyC

I got an SNES classic yesterday, and I read that hacking it may brick the console. How likely is this? I definitely can't afford to find one again.

Dump your kernel, keep it in a safe spot, even if you soft-brick it, you can restore from that. I've screwed up plenty doing custom scripts that prevented a proper boot and always been able to do a full uninstall / restore without issue.

Hello.
I'm not sure if this is of any help to you but a user on MiniSNESmods on Reddit posted some info om Terranigma:

Just thought I'd post it on the off chance it might be of any help.

While I appreciate it, this is definitely a canoe emulation issue. I'm just not sure WHERE it's an issue. All the Enix games had the same error (no sound, crashing at or shortly after the Enix logo) and the only game that got past it was Illusion of Gaia by altering it's fastrom checks. In the case of copiers, there is no emulation issue to sneak around. Just passing it's region check (which is taken care of by using the NTSC patch) makes it work on real hardware.

It appears to be a timing issue, if I had to guess, with the SPC. If you disable the game waiting for the SPC to talk back, the game continues on (albeit without any sound). Why changing the fastrom checks works in the case IoG I'm not sure... but it certainly dosn't any of the others. I've tried reaching out to a couple people who know MUCH more about the SNES than me, but I haven't gotten any responses yet.

(edit) Maybe I should finally go ahead and get a reddit account so I can put messages there. I hadn't realized people had gotten around the original crash by using the reset method. I altered the rom to essentially 'shut off' the music and got past where they were having issues. I have a couple new ideas to try today so that's what I'm going to spend my morning on and will keep people updated.

DagsJT

Has Hackchi been updated to fix the reset button combo not working? I'm thinking of hacking mine tonight but I'll wait if this still needs fixing up.

MrMephistoX

Backup the Kernel and you should be fine, but there are never any guarantees on this stuff. (though I don't know or heard of anyone bricking theirs yet doing this)

I love hacking console hardware honestly. (I have a hacked 3DS, PS2, Original Xbox, Wii U, NES Classic, SNES Classic, etc)

I've never had an outright brick I'm in the same boat I started hacking on PSP. Usually bricks can be fixed even if you don't have a backup if the issue is wide spread someone figures out how to fix it. DUMP your Kernel though as others have said upload it to Dropbox or Google so you don't lose it and you will be fine.

Mr. Hyde

I've never had an outright brick I'm in the same boat I started hacking on PSP. Usually bricks can be fixed even if you don't have a backup if the issue is wide spread someone figures out how to fix it. DUMP your Kernel though as others have said upload it to Dropbox or Google so you don't lose it and you will be fine.

Yeah. Bricking nowadays is a rarity unless you're not backing up the kernels. I remember the days of having to order chips to solder into the PS2. The things for region free. Ugh.

The Snes Classic mod is very easy compared to some systems.

Santar

While I appreciate it, this is definitely a canoe emulation issue. I'm just not sure WHERE it's an issue. All the Enix games had the same error (no sound, crashing at or shortly after the Enix logo) and the only game that got past it was Illusion of Gaia by altering it's fastrom checks. In the case of copiers, there is no emulation issue to sneak around. Just passing it's region check (which is taken care of by using the NTSC patch) makes it work on real hardware.

It appears to be a timing issue, if I had to guess, with the SPC. If you disable the game waiting for the SPC to talk back, the game continues on (albeit without any sound). Why changing the fastrom checks works in the case IoG I'm not sure... but it certainly dosn't any of the others. I've tried reaching out to a couple people who know MUCH more about the SNES than me, but I haven't gotten any responses yet.
Dang, it sure sounds like quite the puzzle.
Really appreciate all the effort you're putting in working on it, even if nothing can be done in the end.

I've added quite a few new sprite thumbnails to my collection. I've turned the Google Drive rar into a folder so that I can add them more easily and so that people can download only the ones they need (you can still mass-download them by selecting them all, GDrive will make a zip for you).

Original post here for those that don't know what I'm talking about (or that don't want to search for it. :D).

soundtest

Banned
So is the Classics Demo wonking out going to be a thing that can't be fixed? Seems right now the best solution is to turn it off and make your own demos instead.

Also, can someone link to the Japanese->NA box arts for games that never came over? Gonna want my DBZ games to fit in.

Chucker

Huh, this is strange. I was editing box arts and the it crashed.
Attempted to open and got this.

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of C:\Users\chuxb\Desktop\Super Hakchi2.appref-ms| resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Activation failed.
+ Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

Edit: Did a reboot, Hakchi is fine. Odd.

If I update Hakchi from 2.0.20.15 to 2.0.21.42 do I need to reflash and do everything from scratch? The patch notes for the latest version states "Scripts autoupdate, so you don't need to reflash custrom kernel after every update." but I am upgrading from a previous version...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
iPEjmFU.png
IykMEmq.png
Kn3WRxk.png
xn8Q4Xh.png
C4lrrRW.png

While I've been making these, I've noticed the strange inconsistency of the "Licensed By" label. All of Konami's feature it, and even push the Nintendo logo to a new position. Squaresoft not only don't have the label, the few PAL releases they did have don't even sport their own logo on the front (which is why my made-up Squaresoft games don't have it either). Capcom changes their mind depending on release (of the three games that come with the SNES Mini, only Street Fighter II has it) and as you can see with The Lost Vikings, despite featuring Interplay's logo, it again doesn't have the label.

Since people seem to be using the Japanese box art for Mystical Ninja, rather than the strange creature from the Western release, I was tempted to make my own design based on the Japanese art. But since I'm trying to make clean looking versions of the official releases (where applicable), I thought best to stick with the original design.

The usual album link

Phaenos

Quick question:

I wanted to replace the base copy of FFIII with an updated and re-translated version of FFVI with the correct title. I used FTP to make copies of the read only files and then "hid" the original 21 games. I added my version of FFVI, and unchecked the box for the FFIII copy that I made (I also unchecked the boxes for two of the other copies I made).

After firing up the SNES classic, everything is as it should be. My copy of FFVI is there with the custom artwork I added, but the original version of FFIII shows up too. The other two original games I unchecked were correctly hidden from the list. If I uncheck FFVI from Hakchi then both FFIII and FFVI get removed from my list. Check FFVI back on (but not FFIII) they both show up.

What am I doing wrong?

LordRaptor

What am I doing wrong?

When you copied the files, does your edited version of FF6 have the same foldername contenst names as the original?
if yes, add ff6 as a 'new' game and then rename your copied folder t the same filenames and foldername as the 'new# one you generated, not the same as the original

chunk3rvd

I’ve setup Hakchi with all the games and artwork I want. Before I do the transfer to the SNES for the first time, will it keep all my saves and states for my original 21 games?

Edit: never mind. Just seen that the OP says I’ll keep all my original stuff

Linkhero1

Quick question:

I wanted to replace the base copy of FFIII with an updated and re-translated version of FFVI with the correct title. I used FTP to make copies of the read only files and then "hid" the original 21 games. I added my version of FFVI, and unchecked the box for the FFIII copy that I made (I also unchecked the boxes for two of the other copies I made).

After firing up the SNES classic, everything is as it should be. My copy of FFVI is there with the custom artwork I added, but the original version of FFIII shows up too. The other two original games I unchecked were correctly hidden from the list. If I uncheck FFVI from Hakchi then both FFIII and FFVI get removed from my list. Check FFVI back on (but not FFIII) they both show up.

What am I doing wrong?
I think I see what you're doing wrong.

Has Hackchi been updated to fix the reset button combo not working? I'm thinking of hacking mine tonight but I'll wait if this still needs fixing up.

Was not aware there was ever an issue with it? I've been using it since the first stable release with snes support, 2.20, and have been using it flawlessly. Mine's bound to L+R+Select+Down

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So what translation patch are most using for FF6?

I want to replay it, but I've played the official version so many times in my youth that I would love to see a fan improvement.

(May as well ask the same for FF4 and 5 too!)

Phaenos

When you copied the files, does your edited version of FF6 have the same foldername contenst names as the original?
if yes, add ff6 as a 'new' game and then rename your copied folder t the same filenames and foldername as the 'new# one you generated, not the same as the original

I'm not sure if the names match. I'll check this out when I get home from work. Thanks!

dvolovets

Could someone please direct me to the proper resources to get Illusion of Gaia to work on this? I have no experience with any of this stuff, so I've tried sifting through the thread and just ended up confused... Thanks!

Top Bottom