• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

So I'm trying to patch english translation to tactics ogre: let us cling together, and I followed the tutorial on youtube. I'm using lunar ips, and I successfully patched the translation to the game. Then compressed the folder to zip. Then I tried launching the game to see if it works, but it only showed Aeogon Genesis presents then black screen. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Edit: I read the readme and it says "Apply patch version 1.2 of the game!! It won't work on others". So how do I know if I have the 1.2 version? Should I just search for one?

I tried asking this before but got no answer, does Retroarch play games other than SNES ones? NES? GB? GBA?

Yes.

Some arcade games via Final Burn Alpha (check their site to see what they support)
GB/GBC via gambatte
SMS/MD/GG support via Genesis Plus GX
N64 via GLupeN64
PCE via Mednafen
GBA via mGBA
SMS/MD/GG /32x via PicoDrive
Atari 2600 via Stella
Alternative SNES via SNES9x2010

YMMV on how well the allwinner board handle the emulation though

retroarch_with_cores.zip and it's not an error, it just doesn't let me drop anything into Hakchi and shows the disabled icon on the cursor.

Unzip and drag retroarch.hmod into hakchi.

So I'm trying to patch english translation to tactics ogre: let us cling together, and I followed the tutorial on youtube. I'm using lunar ips, and I successfully patched the translation to the game. Then compressed the folder to zip. Then I tried launching the game to see if it works, but it only showed Aeogon Genesis presents then black screen. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Test on the latest windows version of SNES9x and see if it does the same thing

Edit: I read the readme and it says "Apply patch version 1.2 of the game!! It won't work on others". So how do I know if I have the 1.2 version? Should I just search for one?

Make sure the final file is 32Mb (4MB) or smaller. Canoe does not support extended roms. Not sure if TO translation surpasses it, but I know quite a few other fan translations do.

Famassu

Yes.

Some arcade games via Final Burn Alpha (check their site to see what they support)
GB/GBC via gambatte
SMS/MD/GG support via Genesis Plus GX
N64 via GLupeN64
PCE via Mednafen
GBA via mGBA
SMS/MD/GG /32x via PicoDrive
Atari 2600 via Stella
Alternative SNES via SNES9x2010

YMMV on how well the allwinner board handle the emulation though
Thanks. That's great. I wanna make this into a Zelda/platformer machine for my mother. She has never played any GameBoy Zeldas & platformers because she just can't see shit on the tiny screens well. And since GBs have Zeldas like Link's Awakening & Minish Cap, she's missed out on a lot.

mdsfx

Do you use a HDMI switcher? I had this happen a lot with a NES and when I first received my SNES and became convinced I'd fucked something up. After eliminating every thing else (clean reinstalls, different cables and usb power supplies) it turned out to be my HDMI switcher.

Are you using the correct voltage power supply?

I'm not using a splitter and I am using the standard power supply. Not sure what else could be creating these boot loops. Guess I can't use save states :(

Lettuce

Just done a quick NTSC cover for this hidden gem....

2y6Utta.jpg

Sadly couldn't find better quality art

Make sure the final file is 32Mb (4MB) or smaller. Canoe does not support extended roms. Not sure if TO translation surpasses it, but I know quite a few other fan translations do.

An addendum to this, I checked the patched rom should be 32Mb, and thus work fine. Thankfully Ghideon Zhi always leaves useful information like that in their readmes so I didn't have to go to far to check.

Robin64

Hm, not good. Experienced a crash in Chrono Trigger. Entered a room, no music was playing. When I checked the black chest in that room, the game froze.

Robin64

Is that running with stock emulator or retroarch. I thought this was a confirmed rom as ok?

Stock emulator, yes.

And remember, the people making that spreadsheet might not be entirely thorough. Probably loaded it up went "yep" and moved on.

Or this was a rare occurence.

Robin64

Haven't gotten around to testing CT yet. Is it one too far into the game? Stock rom or one of the hacks?

It's not that far. I spent a lot of time messing around at the Fair, so in terms of time it was quite far for me, but you can get here super quick. Literally Fair -> Truce Canyon -> Forest to castle -> Tower (crash area)

And yes, unmodified ROM.

MoxManiac

I had a weird glitch in Secret of Mana where a bunch of graphic tiles changed to a different color. This is on a stock unmodded SNES classic. So i guess it could be an isolated thing?

JayBabay

Absolutely. FFV's GBA translation is one of the best of all time, and really elevates FFV.

I was under the impression that the RPGe translation trumped the GBA one. I want to replay FFV and I've only played it on PSX, so by comparison what makes one better than the other, between GBA and RPGe?

Also, the Woosley patch on FFVI. I've played it through on SNES (III) and on PSX (Anthology), the Woosley patch is undeniably superior to both of these?

Wouldn‘t it be nice (for noobs like me) to update the first post with the stuff like retro arch?

Because it gets questioned a lot here :)!

Thanks and regards

I've had this on both 2.0 and the more recent release of Hakchi. Every once in a while, usually when using save states, the system crashes into boot loops. I only have 45 or so games on it with folders disabled. Why does this keep happening?
I had this also.

The only workaround I've found so far is to power my SNES mini using a portable battery pack. I don't have any USB mains plugs handy.

I tried powering it off the Switch's USB - no go.
I tried powering it off my projector's USB - no go.

Seems to be fussy about the power supply?

Just done a quick NTSC cover for this hidden gem....

(King of Demons)

Sadly couldn't find better quality art
Try adjusting levels (auto levels in Photoshop) to get better contrast in the main image. Before you paste it onto the template.

Aeana

I was under the impression that the RPGe translation trumped the GBA one. I want to replay FFV and I've only played it on PSX, so by comparison what makes one better than the other, between GBA and RPGe?

Also, the Woosley patch on FFVI. I've played it through on SNES (III) and on PSX (Anthology), the Woosley patch is undeniably superior to both of these?

Where did you hear this? The GBA translation is very well-written. The RPGe one was created by literal teenagers; it's very bland and devoid of the personality the script has in Japanese. It was a cool effort for the time, but it's not a professional or polished work.

Chucker

Wouldn‘t it be nice (for noobs like me) to update the first post with the stuff like retro arch?

Because it gets questioned a lot here :)!

Thanks and regards

The only issue with updating the OP is that we're in the literal infancy of the hack and there are quick releases which may make the OP out of date.

I'm sure once it cools down and we get further into it the OP will be complete.

Where did you hear this? The GBA translation is very well-written. The RPGe one was created by literal teenagers. It was a cool effort for the time, but it's not a professional or polished work.

This. RPGe's translation was amazing for the time. One of the very first full translations of a Japanese RPG by fans in a complete and 'finished' product. But it definitely shows it's age both in technical and literal way.

Think about when this was released (1998). It predates windows versions of zsnes even! It also predates the PS1 release by over a year (first official translation) and the GBA title by more than 8 years!

Robin64

The OP has a link to the Retroarch modules which also give instructions on how to install them, but honestly, the guide for Retroarch would be bigger than the guide for Canoe (the stock emulator). It's way more complex, does a lot more stuff, and is frankly beyond the scope of the OP. Retroarch isn't unique to the SNES Mini, but Canoe is, and so that's where the focus of things will be. Feel free to play around with Retroarch, but know that there are billions of sources on its usage out there already.

JayBabay

Where did you hear this? The GBA translation is very well-written. The RPGe one was created by literal teenagers; it's very bland and devoid of the personality the script has in Japanese. It was a cool effort for the time, but it's not a professional or polished work.

I don't have a source, it was just embedded in my mind that I should be avoiding the GBA translation, but I must be associating it incorrectly for something else. I do recall a Kotaku that praised the fan translation but that could have been because they came out with it before the game was officially released in the states. I generally try to avoid fan translation whenever possible. I just feel like I'm losing some soul from the game, I don't know why. That's why I'm asking about the Woosley patch in addition when compared to PSX or SNES.

I don't have a source, it was just embedded in my mind that I should be avoiding the GBA translation, but I must be associating it incorrectly for something else. I do recall a Kotaku that praised the fan translation but that could have been because they came out with it before the game was officially released in the states. I generally try to avoid fan translation whenever possible. I just feel like I'm losing some soul from the game, I don't know why. That's why I'm asking about the Woosley patch in addition when compared to PSX or SNES.

I haven't gotten far in the Woolsey Uncensored patch, but so far it's much better than the RPGOne patch which was a literal, literal disaster. As in, they made that translation so clinical and correct it felt and played awful.

So far it feels closer to what Woolsey probably would have done if he had an extra 33% of the rom for text and no Nintendo censors to worry about.

Robin64

A lot of fan translations make the biggest mistake in that they try to literally translate the words, so you're getting that "pure" original script experience, but that often feels flat and dry. The clever translators add personality and don't just translate, they localise.

The Woolsey patch retains his style, but also brings items and spells and whatnot inline with the rest of the series. It's a very good patch.

And the GBA FFV script, well, it's like they realised the story of that game wasn't amazing so went for goofy instead. And it works.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Whoa, I had no idea there was a PAL Mystical Ninja! Love the Chrono Trigger PAL cover. I think the reason Square games didn’t have Square logo or Licensed logo is that Nintendo released them in Europe as first party games.

Also, check out this ultra rare new NCL style PAL Harvest Moon, I had no idea this cover existed:

16Bit-Games-Harvest-Moon-font-b-Australia-b-font-PAL-Version-font-b-Box-b-font.jpg

SOLDIER

Asking again: is there a recommended size for the sprite thumbnails on a 55 inch screen?

Default wise they’re fine, but also a bit too small to really appreciate.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Whoa, I had no idea there was a PAL Mystical Ninja! Love the Chrono Trigger PAL cover. I think the reason Square games didn’t have Square logo or Licensed logo is that Nintendo released them in Europe as first party games.

Also, check out this ultra rare new NCL style PAL Harvest Moon, I had no idea this cover existed:

16Bit-Games-Harvest-Moon-font-b-Australia-b-font-PAL-Version-font-b-Box-b-font.jpg

Seems Australia is the source for additional new NCL style boxes (as seen with your DKC3 example before). While it used the "dreaded" NOE template, I do like the European artwork for Harvest Moon. Interestingly, the german cover had a blurb, but the UK covers I referenced on eBay didn't (also someone was selling one for £2000!)

Glad you like the Chrono Trigger box. Took a while to find a background I was happy with.

I don't have a source, it was just embedded in my mind that I should be avoiding the GBA translation, but I must be associating it incorrectly for something else.
You are probably thinking of the PSX translation of FFV. That feels like something went well...wrong. One example is early on you encounter dragon enemies called Y Burn (I can see how you get to it from Wyvern with the whole v/b thing in Japanese).

off-topic: page 1 of goodling final fantasy v y burn has a link to the FINAL FANTASY XIV: Stormblood official site and a news article about Cassini :O I guess this is a very niche subject.

ParityBit

Can I get some advice on what the modules are, and which ones I should use? What is the snes_custom_filers and music_hack? Any reason NOT to use the extra_space one?

Robin64

Can I get some advice on what the modules are, and which ones I should use? What is the snes_custom_filers and music_hack? Any reason NOT to use the extra_space one?

extra_space is a little bit experimental at the moment, so only use it if you really need the space.
custom_filters allows you to have the CRT lines without the blur effect, and vice versa.

ParityBit

extra_space is a little bit experimental at the moment, so only use it if you really need the space.
custom_filters allows you to have the CRT lines without the blur effect, and vice versa.

Oh is that the same as doing -filter 2 -magfilter 0 that someone mentioned earlier?

Top Bottom