• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Robin64

Oh, I actually do not need to set my snes mini back to factory settings?

Even if it asks you to, it takes like 30 seconds. ONce your games are set up in hakchi, you can flash between standard firmware and custom firmware very quickly, without losing anything.

Could you possibly link me to your post that KojiKnight is talking about with the Illusion of Gaia patch? I can't seem to find it sifting through the topic. Thanks.

Here's the patch: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4qoJJMkPJSMdjllVVZvd0tGYjg

Robin64

I wish I had the know how to do the same to the NTSC converted Spanish rom.

Download uCON64. Then run it using "ucon64 -l rom.sfc"

That's a lowercase L.

It's ok to reflash the custom kernel without reflashing the original again first right?

Absolutely.

Thanks. Will this allow it to run natively in the SNES Classic or do you still need retroarch?

It runs natively with the patch.

Phoenixus

Never tried hacking a machine myself before so apologies for my potential dumbness. :p

I've just tried downloading Hakchi from the site in the OP and my laptop won't let me launch it, comes up with an error message stating ' Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item'. Tried running it as an administrator but same result. Even had a go with the web installer but same result and Norton even deletes it. Am I got the wrong files or does Hakchi need to bypass the security? If the latter, how do you generally do that?

Grassy

Never tried hacking a machine myself before so apologies for my potential dumbness. :p

I've just tried downloading Hakchi from the site in the OP and my laptop won't let me launch it, comes up with an error message stating ' Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item'. Tried running it as an administrator but same result. Even had a go with the web installer but same result and Norton even deletes it. Am I got the wrong files or does Hakchi need to bypass the security? If the latter, how do you generally do that?

Have you tried disabling your anti-virus and then running Hakchi?

I've finished putting SFC art to all my games (and creating my own SFC art from existing sources like flyers and over region releases for non JP released stuff).

Happy about everything except Young Merlin, which never released in JP and from what I can see never got any kind of decent artwork anywhere. My own uk copy has hideous artwork that has nothing to do with the game, and the US one just has a giant ugly logo, and I can't see any adverts for it that don't suck. :/

I've finished putting SFC art to all my games (and creating my own SFC art from existing sources like flyers and over region releases for non JP released stuff).

Happy about everything except Young Merlin, which never released in JP and from what I can see never got any kind of decent artwork anywhere. My own uk copy has hideous artwork that has nothing to do with the game, and the US one just has a giant ugly logo, and I can't see any adverts for it that don't suck. :/

Do you mind sharing your artwork? I'm going through putting SFC artwork on everything aswell. So good.

Has anyone had any luck with Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes romhack? I get the intro from the devs explaining, but after that it's just a black screen with music.

Unfortunately we made Crimson Echoes back when ZSNES was still the more well-known emulator... The game was tested only with that emulator in mind and is not compatible with other emulators or with real SNESes.

r78wNpA.png

FWZRFVe.png

FaJX3Ee.png

TannerDemoz

Need help please...

Following the instruction from OP (thanks!)

Flashed Kernel

Getting this: 'Kernel Dumped but the MD5 checksum is unknown'

I click continue

(power is on at this point)

Click done

click on sync

Get a timeout :(

lucius

I got all my games to start in Retroarch with the Global command but only the original games have no audio with the same the default Retroarch settings, anyone run into this problem ?

Pretty sure. Someone in my reddit thread got the German one working.

I would guess you convert to NTSC first, then run the SlowROM fix.

So, OK; what is exactly the sequence? I did the following and got a "this game pak is not designed for your SNES or Super Famicom" message on both SNES9X and the Mini:

1- Start with the original, Spanish PAL version of Illusion of Time.
2- Apply the NTSC patch for the unheadered Spanish version (I made sure the CRC matched the one in the readme).
3- At this point the ROM already gives the "not designed for your SNES message.
4- Run uCon64 -l on the ROM (gave me an error about some -dat in my documents folder, but then it seems to read the info on the ROM correctly and attempt to SlowROM fix it.
5- ROM still gives "not designed" message. Tried uploading to the Mini just in case, same message.

Do I have to apply your patch at any time, or does running uCon take care of that?

Edit: Never mind, I think I applied the English patch because I'm stupid, saw [E] and thought "this is the one, Español" :p. Let me try again.

Edit 2: Aw yeah, success. Thanks a lot!

OmegaDL50

Will NTSC-J games run okay?

There is technically no difference in displaying NTSC-J over NTSC-U outside of the language barrier for the games themselves.

Many folks for example have replaced the default FFIII rom for a fan translation of FFVI for good reason. Same for other quality RPGs on the SNES that only released in Japan.

GeekyDad

There is technically no difference in displaying NTSC-J over NTSC-U outside of the language barrier for the games themselves.

Many folks for example have replaced the default FFIII rom for a fan translation of FFVI for good reason. Same for other quality RPGs on the SNES that only released in Japan.

Thank you

How are we doing on removing the epilepsy filter? It is my last hold out before doing this to add just a couple games. TMNT and Chrono and just a few other sequels to fill out series basically.

I have added some custom icons to my mini. But, they have the 1 or 2 player and save icon stuck at the bottom. Anyone know how I can remove this? - I assume its a config file but I cant locate it.

Do you mind sharing your artwork? I'm going through putting SFC artwork on everything aswell. So good.

These are the customs I'm using for US/EU-only releases. Not fantastic by any means, but they look ok when resized by the mini:

https://imgur.com/a/ZCCIe

Sources before sfcification are :

Starfox 2 - nintendo made one
Sunset Riders - Arcade Flyer
Super Turrican 2 - computer Turrican 2 art altered
Young Merlin - eu logo and my ass
Zombies Ate my Neighbours - someone else already mocked one up from fan art, so I just corrected the perspective.
Secret of Evermore - spanish fan manga
Killer Instinct - official art
Pushover - promotional material
Run Saber - not sure, I think it was an advert, but the game was cancelled.

Here are a couple of folders that I have put together.

Original size:

https://imgur.com/a/zAgGT

Re-sized:

https://imgur.com/a/ewYCg

Not hacked my system yet (waiting until everything is done) but the should all look good.

Not using the SFC covers for Desert Strike & Jungle Strike?

These are the customs I'm using for US/EU-only releases. Not fantastic by any means, but they look ok when resized by the mini:

https://imgur.com/a/ZCCIe

Sources are :

Starfox 2 - nintendo made one
Sunset Riders - Arcade Flyer
Super Turrican 2 - computer Turrican 2 art altered
Young Merlin - eu logo and my ass
Zombies Ate my Neighbours - someone else already mocked one up from fan art, so I just corrected the perspective.
Secret of Evermore - spanish fan manga
Killer Instinct - official art
Pushover - promotional material
Run Saber - not sure, I think it was an advert, but the game was cancelled.

Not using the SFC covers for Desert Strike & Jungle Strike?

Thank you! Really appreciate it.

pitt_norton

No, the patch does its thing on any emulator or even a real SNES. It needs the right version of the base game though. Use the BPS patch instead, which includes checksum information; it tells you if you’re using the wrong base file.

Why I also included an IPS patch I don’t know... It inevitably leads to user errors.

Sweet, thank you! I will give that a try!

Darktalon

Has anyone had any luck with Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes romhack? I get the intro from the devs explaining, but after that it's just a black screen with music.

Check out Flames of Eternity version RC-7D. It is a continuation of Crimson Echoes with years more work added on. Also it works on other emulators.

OK, people! We've all been posting cool replacements for the icons and thumbnails for some days, but we're missing something that is also important to organize our collections...

... FOLDER ICONS!

Come on, post your best! I'm going to give them a go later today :)

OK then, here are mine. All in the same style of white and transparent, so that they work well with the SNES Mini's dark background.
https://imgur.com/a/UIguo

Check out Flames of Eternity version RC-7D. It is a continuation of Crimson Echoes with years more work added on. Also it works on other emulators.

If you play Flames of Eternity instead of the original, just be aware of what exactly it is. Obviously I may not be neutral, but this dude on Reddit gives a decent summary of the whole CE/FoE thing:

Crimson Echoes, yay or nay?

Yes, it's great, it feels a little off at first (Crono talking and all) and the frog/ayla ship halfway through is... odd (but it's only one sentence and doesn't get mentioned again, easily ignored) but once you get used to it (and maybe read some fan stuff on Chrono Compendium) it's amazing.

They were spot on with their events and theories (all of which were confirmed in CT:DS),
King Zeal
is a great Villain (Knocks the queen and Lynx out of the water in my opinion), and all the characters (bar Crono, whose kinda a lovable jerk in CE, for some reason) feel natural and consistent with CT (they also managed to keep their development from CT, they all act more maturely than in CT and their new character arcs feel like further development that builds on their arcs from CT).

Lucca and Robo are especially great in this regard.

They even predicted some story beats in CT:DS, namely Magus developing time magic and fighting the dream devourer, Dalton being the worse guy ever who you will hate forever and really wish would just die, and some small stuff.

The game fits perfectly in the expanded lore from Cross/CT:DS.

As for the gameplay, it's a bit buggy, all quests and side quests can be completed, though 2 specific quest rewards (the lion helm and shock suit IIRC) don't get added to your inventory, though these are hardly needed and the side quests are good enough just for the extra story.

Use a gameshark code to level up to lvl 15 at the start though, the game is brutal at the start but I've found increasing your level to lvl 15 at the start actually makes the game feel real rewarding, moreso than CT (which, lets be real is really easy after your first run). you'll level up naturally from there and you won't need to grind after that.

It works so well I suspect your supposed to start at that level, they just didn't implement it yet.

As for what version (I've played them all), I'd recomend the 98% leak of CE.

FoE (flames of eternity) doesn't fix nearly as many bugs as they advertise (and added a few more themselves) and the other changes they made are meh at best:

• They made Glenn Human, but his sprite is poorly animated and gltichy and it looks like his legs are broken when he runs. His frog form just looks better. there's a reason the CE team cut human glenn from their game (they were using the same sprites and technical limitations on glenn's frog sprite carried over to the new one, so they had to fit in onto the same sprite dimensions as the frog sprite, which results in the weird legs).
  • Glenn also speaks in his SNES Shakespearean accent, but only sometimes, which is inconsistent and jarring when one sentence he's speaking normally but then a line later he's back to his SNES self.
  • They changed the tech names to Final Fantasy names, like changing lighting III the thundaga, Spinstrike to zentetuken, ect. Doesn't really affect anything but it's just feels weird.
  • Changes a scene to include a bunch of Robos dancing to Luccas theme, wut.
  • they also messed the balance up even worse, at the very start of Chronopolis you can by a weapon for Magus with a 25% critical chance and 9999 damage on criticals, plus a whole bunch of other OP stuff. it's clear it was an attempt to rebalance the difficulty of the hack but it was a really low effort attempt. starting a level 15 works way better than what they did.
  • They also ban you from their site the second you mention crono99 or the other original devs (and also mini-raided the original dev's site, and slandered them on youtube), but I've seen people here not care/defend this, so w/e.

Robin64

2.21d is indeed new. 2 hours old, actually.

"commit 9c2ef23 committed 2 hours ago"

But he's put it in the same release as 2.0.21.40 (2.21c) so it shows up there, but yes, this 2.0.21.50 is new.

As for what's new, you can now dump NAND-C.

JP

I thought this YouTube channel was worth mentioning here, they're nothing to do with the SNES Mini Classic but are wonderful for people wanting to learn more about SNES games. They've been going for years and the channel is SNES Drunk

In particular I would recommend their four part English-friendly Super Famicom Games and their Best SNES PAL Region Games Never Released in North America.

Again, they're NOTHING to do with the SNES Mini Classic so I doesn't necessarily mean the mentioned games will work on the mini console and of course, people will only be legally ripping ROMs from the games they actually own but I did think it could be really useful for some people on here. I'd really recommend just exploring the channel as it's been going for ages and has loads of SNES videos worth watching.

EDIT:
Actually, I should have linked to their Best Super Nintendo Obscure Hidden Gems video too.

I thought this YouTube channel was worth mentioning here, they're nothing to do with the SNES Mini Classic but are wonderful for people wanting to learn more about SNES games. They've been going for years and the channel is SNES Drunk

In particular I would recommend their four part English-friendly Super Famicom Games and their Best SNES PAL Region Games Never Released in North America.

Again, they're NOTHING to do with the SNES Mini Classic so I doesn't necessarily mean the mentioned games will work on the mini console and of course, people will only be legally ripping ROMs from the games they actually own but I did think it could be really useful for some people on here. I'd really recommend just exploring the channel as it's been going for ages and has loads of SNES videos worth watching.
ew they pronounce SNES wrong.... :p

Thanks this looks great

inner-G

Banned

Absolutely amazing channel - his list vids should be helpful to anyone looking to find some ‘hidden gems’ and JPN only releases

Obscure hidden gems: https://youtu.be/CMdFR_cuebI

Best multiplayer SNES games pt 1.: https://youtu.be/zDx0N2jjYVA

SNES Shmups worth playing: https://youtu.be/pXatiYxLl8g

Top Bottom