• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Ah, I thought SNK v. Capcom was a regular Neo Geo cart.

SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos is just a regular ass Neo-Geo game. I am guessing they meant Capcom vs. SNK Millenium 2000/01

I would be shocked to see anything from the Neo-Geo catalog not able to run on the hardware via retroarch-clover.

Any idea why the great circus mystery is giving me a black screen? Also mega man x2 and x3 are giving me c7 errors. Everything else seems to work fine

I’m on the latest version of hakchi

OmegaDL50

I like the idea of custom backgrounds. Especially some of the game specific ones you guys made.

The thing is though, is it possible to have a background automatically load on a per game basis.

For example is there a way to create a Super Mario World specific background and when loading that game it will automatically also use the background made for the game, or is it a case of having to constantly change it manually when loading a different game?

Robin64

I like the idea of custom backgrounds. Especially some of the game specific ones you guys made.

The thing is though, is it possible to have a background automatically load on a per game basis.

For example is there a way to create a Super Mario World specific background and when loading that game it will automatically also use the background made for the game, or is it a case of having to constantly change it manually when loading a different game?

It is! And there's a guide in the OP to do this now. There are a few limitations, but it works really well. Most of my games have a custom background at this point, which loads when they do.

It is! And there's a guide in the OP to do this now. There are a few limitations, but it works really well. Most of my games have a custom background at this point, which loads when they do.

The only part I'm unclear on is if you load per game what happens with any games where you don't have it set? Do they just show blank since you need to have it set as null in the menu or is there a way to set a global default that doesn't mess things up?

Robin64

The only part I'm unclear on is if you load per game what happens with any games where you don't have it set? Do they just show blank since you need to have it set as null in the menu or is there a way to set a global default that doesn't mess things up?

Currently, they show as blank, yeah. There are people working on assigning a different variable so it doesn't do this, but right now that's one of the limitations.

What I did was set every game without a custom border to have the 01_ambient one, which I always found myself using most from the stock ones.

Currently, they show as blank, yeah. There are people working on assigning a different variable so it doesn't do this, but right now that's one of the limitations.

What I did was set every game without a custom border to have the 01_ambient one, which I always found myself using most from the stock ones.

Cool, good to know. Can you set commands on the defaults somehow that I missed, or do you need to delete and add them back?

Robin64

Cool, good to know. Can you set commands on the defaults somehow that I missed, or do you need to delete and add them back?

Had to add to add them as custom games, aye. Which is fine because it allows us to then alter the box art and thumbs, too, as well as apply patches like the FFIII -> FFVI one. :)

bronk

Banned
Power scrolled through all 70 pages and grabbed lots of stuff. Everyone in this thread is so awesome. Thank you everyone that contributed I really appreciate it.
I have one request. Can someone make me a us boxart of Sanrio World Smashball? I'd try to do it myself but I'm so horrible and things like that.

Robin64

Power scrolled through all 70 pages and grabbed lots of stuff. Everyone in this thread is so awesome. Thank you everyone that contributed I really appreciate it.
I have one request. Can someone make me a us boxart of Sanrio World Smashball? I'd try to do it myself but I'm so horrible and things like that.

ThatsMyTrunks did this one:

06RTj7w.png

bronk

Banned
So Nhl 94 is one of my favoirite games on the system. I wonder what kind of background border would work with this game.
Maybe something like this?
20080.jpg

Or somehting like this? hmmm
155843-nhl-94-genesis-screenshot-playoff-tree.png

Robin64

You know what'd be cool for NHL '94? A border based on the Genesis cart. It has nice colours. If it's not what you want, don't worry about it, but I thought it'd be fun to knock this up.

Download here if you want it.

(Based it mostly on this logo from the NHL 94 forums)

bronk

Banned
You know what'd be cool for NHL '94? A border based on the Genesis cart. It has nice colours. If it's not what you want, don't worry about it, but I thought it'd be fun to knock this up.

Download here if you want it.

(Based it mostly on this logo from the NHL 94 forums)

Dang that is awesome! Thanks!

Joey Ravn

Banned
OK, so... I need some input.

mFuLhK0.png

I'm working on creating Switch-style icons for my folders, since I want to start organizing my collection. I'm pretty much settled on the choice of font and color scheme: black font with white outline for the genre, white font for the flavor text and greyscale background. I may consider changing things once I'm a bit further into the design, though.

Now, my question is: what kind of background should I give the icons? I was thinking of mixing and mashing up some character sprites from the kind of games that would be in those folders, but I don't want to make the icons too busy. They should be intuitive and unobstrusive, but not entirely dull or boring. Any ideas?

Hey all,

I keep trying to use search on this thread but it's not working.

How do I pull the "Base" 21 games off the SNES Mini so I can edit their thumbnails and such?

Dimentios

Hey all,

I keep trying to use search on this thread but it's not working.

How do I pull the "Base" 21 games off the SNES Mini so I can edit their thumbnails and such?

No need to. Just follow the instructions in the OP.

How can I alter art and stuff for the original 21 games?

You need to FTP into the machine and browse to /usr/share/games/. There you will find the preinstalled CLV-P-xxxxx games. Download those to your PC. (Make sure to set your FTP client to transfer only 1 file at a time, the SNES Mini really hates more than that)

Now copy those folders to hackchi's /snes_games/ folders where your custom games are.

Now restart hakchi and you will see they appear as custom games too alongside previous ones you added, so you will want to deselect the original 21. Now you have copies that you can work with, such as changing their box art and thumbnails.

bubumiao

Also, I've been wondering about something. If I have Genesis GX Plus and Picodrive installed, which one is emulating my Genesis games? Or should I only install one or the other?

denx

Sorry (I'm sure this was answered before in this thread), but how can I fix the problem with transparencies in the menus in Illusion of Gaia after applying the patch to get it running natively in the SNES Classic? After applying the patch I get a black bar over whatever text I choose in the menus.

BuddyC

Robin, would you be able to re-post your 12_snes set without the black border? For some reason, I prefer that one without -- I think it has to do with the contrast of the border and the not-quite-black backdrop.

Joey Ravn

Banned
OK, a few mock-ups. I think I've changed my mind: greyscale background isn't the best for what I'm trying to do.

aElo5yO.png
2yFEp0J.png
FbDwOwk.png

I started with FFV because it's the best RPG of all time :)

Edit: A few more to end the night. Any feedback will be appreciated!

H0Yyz3P.png
5Mxa5HB.png
t7EWRgB.png
SzOAl2v.png

RnpqO1D.png
03UMQfB.png

Robin64

Robin, would you be able to re-post your 12_snes set without the black border? For some reason, I prefer that one without -- I think it has to do with the contrast of the border and the not-quite-black backdrop.

If you're using the Google Drive folder, you should be able to download the first version of the .zip which will be borderless.

bronk

Banned
So I have 62 games and after the latest hackchi update 2.221 d when I turn on my snes it shows folders now even though I have folders disabled. any clue?

bronk

Banned
Double check folders are disabled. When I updated to 2.21d, it turned them back on again. (Dammit Cluster!)

Legend! Definitely yoinking that. Nice one, cheers.

I was just saving the settings but I think I had to resynchronize the games again and it worked. Thanks for the help. I'm starting to get better with this when it seemed so daunting at first. I should actually play the thing lol

BuddyC

If you're using the Google Drive folder, you should be able to download the first version of the .zip which will be borderless.

That's what I thought too, but Manage Versions isn't showing up. That said, I was able to remove the border by layering the Pixel Perfect version on top of the 4:3 and then trimming it down, so all good here :)

Robin64

That's what I thought too, but Manage Versions isn't showing up. That said, I was able to remove the border by layering the Pixel Perfect version on top and then cutting, so all good here :)

Oh, I guess only the owner can manage versions. Tch. Well, glad you got it sorted!

timnich

Is it possible to sort games by system? I've added NES, GBC and GBA games and would love some way to organize them rather than having them scattered all over the place.

Top Bottom