• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

FenDozer

Ok, first time ever doing something like this. Where do I get the ROMs? I followed the steps and when I click Add more games it takes me to file explorer. Am I suppose to find the ROMs on the internet somewhere or were they included in the executable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

ReyVGM

Ok, first time ever doing something like this. Where do I get the ROMs? I followed the steps and when I click Add more games it takes me to file explorer. Am I suppose to find the ROMs on the internet somewhere or were they included in the executable?

Asking for ROMs is against the rules. You're supposed to dump them yourself from your own games, or download them illegally from the Internet.

FenDozer

Asking for ROMs is against the rules. You're supposed to dump them yourself from your own games, or download them illegally from the Internet.

I'm not asking for ROMs. I was simply asking if they were suppose to be in this file or if I should have found them elsewhere on the internet. It sounds like the latter.

How do you dump them from your own games? I have a number of these games on SNES and would love them on my mini!

MrMephistoX

Google the right key words or search Reddit.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Has anyone tried getting the Project Naga translation of FE4 to work through RetroArch? I'm new to this and haven't quite worked out how to get RetroArch working so, haven't had the time the past few days at least, so I'm curious if it does work through RetroArch or if it's just flat out not gonna happen with that translation patch.

ReyVGM

I'm not asking for ROMs. I was simply asking if they were suppose to be in this file or if I should have found them elsewhere on the internet. It sounds like the latter.

How do you dump them from your own games? I have a number of these games on SNES and would love them on my mini!

You literally asked "Where do I get the ROMs"? :p

Realistically, 99% of the people here are just downloading them from the internet because to dump a game you need a special hardware.

As for where to find what you need, you do know of a small site called Google, where you can search for stuff, right? ;)

Here's a question-- are the controller drivers in this thing generic enough that with an appropriate adapter it'd recognize a standard mouse for use in Mario Paint? Either wired usb>nes adapter or wireless like some of the other custom controllers? There's this thing but that seems to be for the original console and not the mini. Some quick searches didn't turn up anything on this.

CLEEK

Not much to add other than this was a super easy process.

Introduced my two boys to the joys of multiplayer Bomberman. It's become an instant favourite.

mandiller

Where does Hakchi save the original kernel? I dumped it and a box popped up saying it was saved to ~ \hakchi2/dump\ folder. I have no idea where that is...

Tevious

Here's some box art images that I either made or cleaned up in preparation for the SNES Classic:

Final Fantasy II (IV) US art with proper numbering:

Final Fantasy II (IV) with Japanese art:
hpUaAdM.png

Final Fantasy V US-style mock-up:

Final Fantasy V with Japanese art:
KzCCkHj.png

Final Fantasy III (VI) US art with proper numbering:

Final Fantasy III (VI) with Japanese art:
DTkQ74w.png

Secret of Mana 2 (Seiken Densetsu 3) mock-up:
iCMhbMM.png

Tactics Ogre mock-up:

I'm super close to not adding Dragon Quest V because I can't find a mock up US box.

Dragon Quest V mock-up:
CqcOu5P.png

Dragon Quest VI mock-up:
hW58fPO.png

Sailor Moon - Another Story mock-up:
pWeNSAq.png

And since it's kind of related, I'll post these NES box art mock-ups too:

Final Fantasy II (JP) original planned US box art:
BILbEGD.png

Final Fantasy III (JP) US-style mock-up: (There really aren't any US-style mock-ups, so I tossed this one together.)
jrhmshA.png

Some alternate Japanese-style box art I found for these:

Sushen

With things working great, I want to add some fan translated roms, although no idea how to convert the roms, haha.

Kensuke

All right, installed the popular rom hacks for Secret of Mana, Earthbound and Super Ghouls n Ghost. Are there any other cool games that were fixed?

Shifty1897

Had everything working great, retroarch was running everything the regular snes couldn't do. Unplugged, took to my room to play. Now retroarch enabled games crash back to the menu, no error.

Weird. Time to troubleshoot. I didn't want to sleep tonight anyway...

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Interesting, my PC will detect my SNES after a clean download of Hackchi2. Guess I'll just get what I want in there and not have to worry about it. Anyone have an imgur album of properly scaled box art?

Also, I doubt anyone cares, but the Star Trek TNG game doesn't work :(

jholmes

Is there an easy way to dump SNES ROMs from Wii U? How about the ones locked in Wii mode? Someone mentioned a thread about dumps but I really didn't find much there.

MercuryLS3

Has zero issues putting a bunch of games on. Kept the total at 50. Put a bunch of games I love with some games I want to play but never got the chance to. Every game runs perfect except for tetris and Dr mario, the game is slightly offset from the frame. I can deal with that when the rest of the games are perfect.

Palom

Is there any way to use the save data from an emulator? I was playing a game on Retroarch using the BSNES core on my PC and tried copying the .srm save data from it over, but the mini did not recognize there was any save data with the file there.

I copied the file to /var/lib/clover/profiles/0/CLV-U-xxxxx/cartridge.sram

Is there any way to use the save data from an emulator? I was playing a game on Retroarch using the BSNES core on my PC and tried copying the .srm save data from it over, but the mini did not recognize there was any save data with the file there.

I copied the file to /var/lib/clover/profiles/0/CLV-U-xxxxx/cartridge.sram

The emulator writes a SHA-1 hash to the end of the save file to prevent corrupted save files from causing problems. If you want to use a save file from an emulator, you need to generate a hash and paste it onto the end.

Edit: If enough people care about it, I'll make a simple app to do this.

Had no issues installing the hack and loading the few games I own that weren’t already on it. A few games have issues with the emulator:

The original PGA Tour Golf works but has no music and some minor graphical glitches. It’s playable.

SSF2 and SFA2 don’t work but we already knew they wouldn’t.

My SNES mini did seem quite warm by the time I was done testing things. Hope they look into that.

Palom

The emulator writes a SHA-1 hash to the end of the save file to prevent corrupted save files from causing problems. If you want to use a save file from an emulator, you need to generate a hash and paste it onto the end.

Edit: If enough people care about it, I'll make a simple app to do this.
Thanks for the info. With that, I was able to find a post from Phatcorns to edit the save myself and get it working.

some background music was just straight up missing Secret of Evermore. Or is it just me?

Yes, unfortunately - I've been seeing the same (NTSC version, patched NTSC version, PAL version patched to NTSC). It's working fine with retroarch though (aside from Retroarch crashing for me all the time - hope that gets fixed soon).

Snaku

Banned
Added about 10 games to test the waters, easy peasy. Played Super Godzilla, Gundam Wing Endless Duel, and Batman Returns with no issues.

Grassy

I got Retroarch installed and working fine with Terranigma and Illusion of Gaia, but obviously you can't use SNES Mini's CRT shader and Retroarch doesn't appear to have any shaders installed as standard. Is there any way to get extra shaders on there or will that come later?

Also wanna give a shout-out to all the great folks posting their cleaned-up/fixed/custom box art, thankyou!

Top Bottom