• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

TheMoon

Sad to see no one is adding Mario missing. That game's educational.

if you add Mario is Missing then how can ...

serveimageq8suq.jpg

Robin64

Did the original game also have black bars on the top and bottom? Happens only in the levels (not the overworld). Is there a way to "fix" this or is this just how the game was programmed?

It did. You just probably never saw them much because TVs wouldn't really display that area.

Chauzu

Ecstatic to see this being a thing now. I’ll wait until November to get working on this, since my SNES will be a christmas present, no rush really.

If you use hakchi to add a new game, it's randomly generated. But the ones on the console already have one, so if you FTPd in and grabbed them off there, they will still have the one they were assigned. Hakchi won't generate a new one.

I see! I've also realized the savestate manager lists IDs, and these are CLV-P for original games (for a PAL Mini SNES at least, even if the ROMs are US), and CLV-U for games added through Hakchi. I'm assuming it would be OK to just rename the folders within games_snes? I'm going to try just that.

Now into murkier territory. I'm assuming saves should work in patched roms as long as the patching doesn't involve changes in how information is stored. I'm going to try this as well for the games I have with translation patches to Spanish.

Edit: Another question, is the id of original games the same for everyone? If anyone wants to compare here's some of mine; all start with CLV-P-, then:
Contra: SACCE
FF3: SABTE
Kirby Super Star: SAAQE
Megaman X: SABCE
Secret of Mana: SABRE (heh)

DonMigs85

Is there an exhaustive list of games that don't work well with the stock emulator? I heard my childhood favorite Goof Troop doesn't, so need to mark them for Retroarch.

So can I go ahead and install a bunch of games now using hakchi, and then add Terranigma later using retroarch? That game will not work currently without retroarch right?

Oh shit, only saw now that we have a separate hacking thread.

Yesterday I gave you the link to my cover collection in the other thread, cover that i use for the SNES mini classic. Every single one edited and overhauled by me with fresh colors in the perfect size, ready to import.

Dp824MG.png

Including some covers i made for myself.

MWTzVN6.png

8lB0bf6.png

qU52Fo8.png

71tM3Qv.png

Save this link if you want cause i will upload more cover later when i add more games to the system.

https://imgur.com/a/ILZgb

I would do it just to be safe. Just because you're seeing no issues doesn't mean there's nothing going on behind the scenes that shouldn't.

It takes less than 5 minutes to reflash, better safe than regret it later.

Thanks, so his latest rc is safer than rc3? Do I need to go back to the original kernel or can I just overwrite the flashed kernel with the new one?

Robin64

Thanks, so his latest rc is safer than rc3? Do I need to go back to the original kernel or can I just overwrite the flashed kernel with the new one?

The latest one is no longer even an RC, it's a final launch version. Definitely get it.

You're really better off doing this:

1) Drop new files on top of old hakchi files.
2) Go to Kernel -> Uninstall. Say yes when asked about factory kernel.
3) Kernel -> Flash custom kernel
4) Resync games

The latest one is no longer even an RC, it's a final launch version. Definitely get it.

4) Resync games

Thanks.. going back to factory is more scary to me then flaahing a custom kernel on it o_O haha

DonMigs85

So can I go ahead and install a bunch of games now using hakchi, and then add Terranigma later using retroarch? That game will not work currently without retroarch right?
Cluster already has a Retroarch file for download on the same site. It's mentioned in the Hackchi 2.20 details.

xlom3000

You definitely want the latest version of hakchi2. Some of the earlier releases had power consumption issues that were fixed in 2.2.0.14 or 15 I believe

Oswen

I may remember wrong but the NES mini had somekind of problem with savestates if new games were added.
I think it had to do with displayed games, thumbnails etc, I remember that you could not go over 32 games without hiding the original games if you wanted to keep four savestats for each game.

I think folders displaying 30 games each ended up being the workaround for the problem, I'm not sure if something changed in later versions.
Does the SNES mini have similar issues aswell?

4) Resync games

I was right about to do this, but I have a question: would this delete my saves for games that aren't in the original kernel? It says "it will remove all traces of hakchi", and by definition those saves would be such a trace.

I'm mostly asking if I should backup saves of added games that I care about. :D

Robin64

I was right about to do this, but I have a question: would this delete my saves for games that aren't in the original kernel? It says "it will remove all traces of hakchi", and by definition those saves would be such a trace.

I'm mostly asking if I should backup saves of added games that I care about. :D

Can confirm my Chrono Trigger and SimCity saves, both battery and save states, were intact after doing this process. :)

What is the difference between the portable and no-portable version?

Portable means everything works in the same folder. Non-portable means it gets installed and some files go to your Documents folders. I prefer portable, easier to find everything.

ktroopa

If you haven't done much of this yet, read the OP first so you have an idea of how everything works. You need to overmount the file /usr/bin/clover-canoe-shvc. Make a copy of it onto your computer, then make a text file named something like p0202_filter with two lines--
Code:
overmount /usr/bin/clover-canoe-shvc
and a blank line underneath. Put the file you created in /var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/etc/preinit.d/

Now, edit your copy of clover-canoe-shvc based on how you want your filters to behave. There are three relevant lines here.
Code:
keep-aspect-ratio) options="$options -filter 1 -magfilter X" ;; //4:3 mode
pixel-perfect) options="$options -filter 1 --pixel-perfect" ;;
crt-filter) options="$options -filter 2 -magfilter X" ;;

-magfilter is what controls the display filter. Set it to 3 to disable the bilinear filter, or set it to 2 to enable the horizontal-only linear filter.

-filter controls the scanline filter. You can turn it on by setting it to 2, for example if you want to use scanlines in pixel perfect mode as well.

After you set it up how you like, copy that file to /var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/usr/bin/.

@Robin64

Can you help with the above mate - if you understand this part of the config files that is.

How do I disable the scanlines - is it value 1?

Jashobeam

in hakchi2, is there any way to backup everything that is currently on the snes classic, including all save states?

edit: figured it out, hakchi seems to keep all your game saves when you sync the games.

flowsnake

If a game runs slowly in Retroarch is that just a hardware limitation?

Rudra's Treasure seems to run well but slows down with crackly audio in the menus.

Robin64

You want the CRT filter without scanlines?

That'd be:

Code:
crt-filter) options="$options -filter 1 -magfilter 1" ;;

Can confirm my Chrono Trigger and SimCity saves, both battery and save states, were intact after doing this process. :)

Hahah, so much for "all traces". Thanks for the info. Also, I didn't thank you properly for this thread and all the help you're giving everyone; thanks a lot, man.

As a small way to giving back, when I finish making my own custom thumbnails (40x40, game character sprites) I'll upload them somewhere in case people want them. That's one reason I asked about game ids being generated, because if they weren't, I could create a folder structure with every thumbnail in the proper place and with the proper name... but oh well.

Portable means everything works in the same folder. Non-portable means it gets installed and some files go to your Documents folders. I prefer portable, easier to find everything.

Yeah, same. Fuck that Windows documents folder nonsense. :p

Robin64

My mission for today is to get games launching their own border.

There's apparently the following command line argument:

Code:
--use-decorative-frame [path]

But I have tried every variation I can think of and no success. I wonder if it's just dummied out somewhere now and doesn't work at all, or I just haven't hit upon the right usage.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Quick question before I royally screw everything up:

Can I modify the thumbnail for the 21 packed-in games without altering their behavior? For example, breaking high-res mode for SoM or preventing Star Fox 1 and 2 from benefitting from the FX boost command.

If so... what's the path on the FTP server to those folders? :p

Robin64

Can I modify the thumbnail for the 21 packed-in games without altering their behavior? For example, breaking high-res mode for SoM or preventing Star Fox 1 and 2 from benefitting from the FX boost command.

You can, but you'll need to download them from the FTP server, add them to your /snes_games/ hakchi folder, then disable the "Original 21" as you are now uploading them as custom ROMs. No behaviour will change if you don't alter the ID and ROM files. Download from /usr/share/games.

Dimentios

This is a little trickier. You need to FTP into the machine (hakchi has the info you need in the Tools menu) and browse to /usr/share/games/. There you will find the preinstalled CLV-P-xxxxx games. Download those to your PC. (Make sure to set your FTP client to transfer only 1 file at a time, the SNES Mini really hates more than that)

Now copy those folders to hackchi's /snes_games/ folders where your custom games are.

Now restart hakchi and you will see they appear as custom games too alongside previous ones you added, so you will want to deselect the original 21. Now you have copies that you can work with, such as changing their box art and thumbnails.

Basically you are just replacing the images in those folders and sync the system again.

Edit: Late af. :D

Maxrunner

Cluster does currently recommend using an Uninstall, but this is mostly as a catch-all to fix the voltage problems that people may or may not have. It's just easier to tell everyone to start fresh. (Honestly, it takes 5 mins and you lose no game stuff, so probably best to take the advice)

Yeah but i still don't know if you can unistall first and then update hakchi by overwriting the new one over the old files and folders.

Ok, i think i finally found out why i always get a C8 error when i try to shut the console off and i want to share it with you.

Yesterday i was confused why i always got this error. This error didn't do anything, it only happens when i shut the console off and if i shut it on right after, everything works fine.

I tried to reset the console, even build my rom database completely from scratch with importing every game and cover again but nothing helped. I spend the whole morning with removing games, trying to shut it off in a game and in a menu and now i know whats happening.

This error only happens when you have more than 63 games on the console without folders or pages and when you shut it off in the menu.

If you shut it off with 63 games or less while you're in the menu without folders or pages (all games in one row), no problem.
If you shut it off while in a game with more than 63 games, no problem.
If you shut it off with more than 63 games and activated folders or pages, no problem.
If you shut it off with more than 63 games while you're in the menu without folders and pages (all games in one row), C8 error.

It seems like the SNES mini can't hold more than 63 games in one single menu at once, it's too much for this little thing. Tried it several times now and this seems why i always get this error.

But i would like to get your help, can someone try this out to confirm? Just have over 63 games on the console (64 at least), start it and when you're in the menu, with all games in one row, shut it off again.

Could this get fixed somehow with hakchi in the future?

Edit:

Ok, someone in the snesminimod discord told me that this was found out earlier today. 62/63 games per page/folder is the limit. Everything above that gives you always a C8 error when you shut the console off.

Maybe this could get added to the OT!

*This post was sponsored by Snickers.

Unlikely, the NES Mini had a similar limit and it's exactly why they made folders. Hakchi didn't have those at first til this was discovered.

Yes, and like i said in my edit, 62/63 games is max and got confirmed now. Maybe you could add this to the OT.

Top Bottom