• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

UltraJay

The box art and borders posted here are great, but is there a good resource for SNES boxart like that 3D one but for 2D ones? At the very least can someone post the template they are using for their mockups? Much appreciated.

Sorry if it has been asked, is there a way to upload saves to the SNES mini? I have a couple of .SRM files on my machine they are copied directly from the OG carts. They are working with the ROMs of their associated game on my PC.

SRV

My apologies if this has been asked, but in the Hakchi2 menu, when adding games, do I need to put the games to 2 players manually to play 2 player?

My apologies if this has been asked, but in the Hakchi2 menu, when adding games, do I need to put the games to 2 players manually to play 2 player?

No it's just visual and the release version adds this plus the save button automatically now.

Joey Ravn

Banned
You can, but you'll need to download them from the FTP server, add them to your /snes_games/ hakchi folder, then disable the "Original 21" as you are now uploading them as custom ROMs. No behaviour will change if you don't alter the ID and ROM files. Download from /usr/share/games.

Basically you are just replacing the images in those folders and sync the system again.

Edit: Late af. :D

Awesome. I'm going to make this my afternoon project. Will report back with results :)

T.O.P

Banned
Just a question, i'm going from RC4 to the 2.20 version

Can i just plug my Snes to my PC and uninstall the old kernel or i need to do the same "hold reset etc" process?

OK I've just modded and put a small selection of games on (sailor moon, flashback, dkc2 etc). I didn't set a reset to menu controller shortcut. Is this done automatically?

Jawmuncher

So the issue with Goof Troop and Panel de Pon seems to be more than just me. Looks like it’s not actually related to people’s dumps but the build of Hakchi itself. Going to try a different version/build and see if they finally work.

Hasney

OK I've just modded and put a small selection of games on (sailor moon, flashback, dkc2 etc). I didn't set a reset to menu controller shortcut. Is this done automatically?

As long as it's not changed from the RC's, yeah. Hold down and select.

Zee-Row

Banned
Here are some of my experiences. Mega Man X2 slows down when those 3D wireframe effects are happening. Illusion of Gaia has no music during the title screen and just goes black when you try to start the game. Mortal Kombat 2 has missing sound effects like the guy saying toasty.

Robin64

Can i just plug my Snes to my PC and uninstall the old kernel or i need to do the same "hold reset etc" process?

When you pick Uninstall, it will ask you to connect the SNES using the reset mode.

LayLa

had a bit of a wobbly moment when installing the driver seemed to freeze, luckily a reset seems to have solved the problem

here's some boxart I did for Sailor Moon Another Story and Umihara Kawase

e3AODDh.png

lgNo7Fx.png

mrk8885

Banned
Is there any reason I should change to one of the official releases? I used the pre release build robin put up the other day, have all the games I want, and it’s functioning perfectly. I’d prefer not to tinker again if I don’t have to...but obviously will if there are issues with the older builds that have been fixed.

Any insight robin?

Zolbrod

Hmmm, got the hack to work on my Super Famicom Mini, but I’m experiencing a few issues:

- Mega Man X2 and 3 (JP versions) won't work. When I start the games the screen just goes black and nothing happens until I reset the console, at which point I get an error message. This only happens with these 2 games.

- When I connected the SFC mini to my PC again to install a few more games, it asked me to dump the kernel again, even though I should only have to do this once/the first time. I chose to dump the kernel again but it showed an error message after a few seconds, saying that the console “SNES” is incorrect or something...

Anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

Desmond

Chrono Trigger booting up on a hacked SNES Mini done through Parallels Desktop on macOS Sierra. Worked perfectly.

Rock 'n' Roll Racing, however, shows a blank screen in the main menu but not in the racing menu.
Is Parallels easy enough to set up on the Mac?

sotojuan

Is Parallels easy enough to set up on the Mac?

Yes, but I already have an old Windows 7 ISO, so you might need that. IIRC Microsoft provides Windows 10 ISOs for free for browser testing but I am not sure if they would support something like hakchi.

Once you have that, you download the Parallels free trial and the rest is self explanatory. The only annoying thing is that it makes you create an account but you can put a random email. Overall, the software was very easy to use (which is why it's not free!).

I had trouble with Retroarch after upgrading from RC4. I then did an Uninstall from the Kernel menu to return completely to stock. Only then did I do everything again and now it's working great. So while it might not be strictly necessary to do the whole process again I would strongly advice to do so (and save yourself some headaches down the line).

Robin64

Is there any reason I should change to one of the official releases? I used the pre release build robin put up the other day, have all the games I want, and it's functioning perfectly. I'd prefer not to tinker again if I don't have to...but obviously will if there are issues with the older builds that have been fixed.

Any insight robin?

The new official release has a fix that stops the SNES Mini overheating. Do get it. :)

Does portable 2.0.20.15 have the voltage fix? Don't really want to install the web version.

It does, yeah.

So does all of this now mean we know the inner workings of this thing?
Is it perhaps just some kind of light-weight Linux system running an emulator?

Impotaku

I doubt anyone will know but is the font issue fixed? As in there's enough in there to spell out any game.

When my famicom mini shows up i don't want the games listed in english, no idea if the famicom mini has all the required kana to spell every title out. I did spy a use extended font option in hackchi but i guess thats just for english.

dyreschlock

I'm having a little problem, and apologies if someone had asked this before. This thread moves fast.

I'm on a mac running OSX El Capitan using VirtualBox with Windows 10. I have my Super Famicon Mini connected through USB, and Windows is able to detect it. I ran Hakchi. It was able to dump the original kernel, and started doing the flash custom kernal task.

Towards the end of the flashing, the Mini resets, and boots up as normal. It starts playing on the TV, and the flashing comes back as "successfully" complete.

I added a game on hakchi and clicked "synchronize" on the bottom, but it's unable to connect to the Mini. Also, using FTP comes back with a 500 Mini offine, error.

Could you give me some direction on what I should do?

Edit:
I tried turning it off and back on a few times, but I'm still unable to synch. I did flash the custom kernel a second time to try and catch something at the end of the process. Though, during the process it complained about a checksum not matching.

I doubt anyone will know but is the font issue fixed? As in there's enough in there to spell out any game.

When my famicom mini shows up i don't want the games listed in english, no idea if the famicom mini has all the required kana to spell every title out. I did spy a use extended font option in hackchi but i guess thats just for english.

Paste a stringe here, ill use it and see what happens.

So does all of this now mean we know the inner workings of this thing?
Is it perhaps just some kind of light-weight Linux system running an emulator?

We've known the basics since the nes classic. Yes it's a custom Linux kernel that boots straight into a front end for Canoe, the minis emulator.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
sorry if this has been asked already, but i want to understand the process and risks completely before i do this--

when you say "don't ever lose this file, EVER," what file exactly, and how would i lose it? how will i prevent losing it?

EmiPrime

sorry if this has been asked already, but i want to understand the process and risks completely before i do this--

when you say "don't ever lose this file, EVER," what file exactly, and how would i lose it? how will i prevent losing it?

Make a few backups of it, upload it to your Google Drive or whatever.

ParityBit

Man, still waiting to get home to try this. I wish this forum board will allow us to flag posts so I can keep track of stuff I need to do/remember.

You guys are doing great with the custom borders, but I'd enjoy some more abstract ones that fit the tone of specific games. Also, remakes of the borders for the Super GameBoy would be cool.

I added -boost-fx 2 to the command line of Doom and it did improve the framerate a little bit, but its still pretty rough. Anybody else having trouble getting it to run well on the Mini?

Joey Ravn

Banned
I transfered all the pre-installed games via FTP and added them as custom games without replacing anything. Everything works just fine, even after compressing the games (I didn't try with Secret of Mana, though). My saves and savestates are still there.

I've been tinkering with making the "xxxx_small.png" files transparent. They work as expected! You can make the bottom row "disappear" by using transparent boxes for all games.

One thing I noticed, though, is that 30x21 seems to be the minimum size that the UI can take. I thought that since 63 games in the UI at the same time seems to be the breakpoint for stability, then 60 would be a safe number to limit each folder/the root of the UI. Since 720/60 = 12, I decided to create a 12x21 transparent PNG and use it as the box for Earthbound. My goal was to make the cursor not disappear past the edges of the screen. If it worked, I could then start working on a "progress bar"-like solution instead of individual boxes. Transferred everything... and Earthbound was nowhere to be found. The system didn't like such a small file, it seems.

How does Zombies Ate My Neighbors play on this?

From the little I tested, both Zombies and its sequel, Ghoul Patrol, work just fine. I can't say I got past the first level of both, though.

Top Bottom