• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Impotaku

Paste a stringe here, ill use it and see what happens.

がんばれゴエモンゆき姫救出絵巻

I tried it on my euro snes mini and it did display in japanese but only a bit of it appeared, not sure if it's because im using english one or the font system just doesnt support all the letters.

All it would display was

がんばれゴエモンゆき

which makes me think it wont display the kanji outside of the built in games.

Robin64

Do you add this to the specific command line of the game you want to boost? Or to the
global command line arguments? And does adding this to the global command line arguments affect the performance of other games?

If you add it to the global argument you'll fuck up Yoshi's Island.

Munba

The first time i was able to put some games in the snes mini but second time i tried, after sinch, the new games were not present in the snes list. Somenone knows why?

The second time i started program i only dumped kernel and the light in the program was green.

edit: solved

ggx2ac

Hmmm, got the hack to work on my Super Famicom Mini, but I’m experiencing a few issues:

- Mega Man X2 and 3 (JP versions) won't work. When I start the games the screen just goes black and nothing happens until I reset the console, at which point I get an error message. This only happens with these 2 games.

- When I connected the SFC mini to my PC again to install a few more games, it asked me to dump the kernel again, even though I should only have to do this once/the first time. I chose to dump the kernel again but it showed an error message after a few seconds, saying that the console “SNES” is incorrect or something...

Anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

There are a bunch of games that don't work on the SNES Mini Classic Emulator. You'd have to use Retroarch which has snes9x to run those games, the relevant links are in the OP.

Did you select the Super Famicom option when you started up the Hakchi2 the first time? Also, do you have the latest version 2.0.20.15? Someone was saying it fixes a critical problem with the SFC Mini and I have no clue if that is to do with your problem.

Joqu

This is fucking amazing and definitely needs more visibility. Would a new thread be overkill?

Thanks, I'm really glad you like what I did.

Like, a separate thread for custom box art and borders? I don't know whether such a thing would be overkill. :s

Robin64

Agree with the poster above who says someone should make some more abstract borders. For now I'm doing purely art related stuff, like you'd get with other retro collections. Added Contra and Earthbound to my collection.

contra39s3w.png
earthboundziswo.png

Jawmuncher

Can confirm that it was a software build issue and not by dumps. The newest build seems to have issues with transferring some games and causing them to corrupt.

If your listed game is “compatible” and still results in a black screen use the hakchi2_20.rc4_debug version instead of the current build.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Agree with the poster above who says someone should make some more abstract borders. For now I'm doing purely art related stuff, like you'd get with other retro collections. Added Contra and Earthbound to my collection.

Cool!

Might I suggest something? Add a 1px black border around the, well, border itself. To prevent some "bleeding" between the game and the border. I would also try to lower the visibility of the border a bit more, so as to give more prominence to the game itself. Using a black background and setting the visibility of the border layer to 75% should give you the effect I'm talking about.

Of course, that's just me. Your borders are great! :)

T.O.P

Banned
Ok i've tried everything, i can't drag the "retroarch_with_cores" into the Hakchi window, it just won't let me, maybe a Windows 10 setting that won't let me? i'm lost

Robin would you reccomend installing the new hakchi files over the old files and then do a uninstall of the custom kernel?

Or would it be ok to do the uninstall from the old rc3, then install the official hakchi and use that to install the new custom kernel?

Id have to manually add in my added games right?

Sorry to ask so many questions.

Robin64

Cool!

Might I suggest something? Add a 1px black border around the, well, border itself. To prevent some "bleeding" between the game and the border. I would also try to lower the visibility of the border a bit more, so as to give more prominence to the game itself. Using a black background and setting the visibility of the border layer to 75% should give you the effect I'm talking about.

Of course, that's just me. Your borders are great! :)

Yeah I did ponder both those things, but then realised that the likes of Disney Afternoon Collection and Mega Man Legacy Collection do it this way, so wanted to be consistent with what's being released right now.

I might end up making two sets.

That spreadsheet says Micro Machines 2 Europe works, but it doesn't work flawlessly for me, it sounds like the horn at the start of the race just carries on the whole race.

Anyone else have issues with it?

Yep, blaring horn for me too, as well as choppy audio. This is likely because it's a PAL ROM. We need to convert it to NTSC.

Robin would you reccomend installing the new hakchi files over the old files and then do a uninstall of the custom kernel?

Just copy the new files over the old ones, then do an uninstall. You'll be fine this way.

So I can safely put 62-63 games in a single row on this thing, unlike the NES Classic which needed to be under 30?

I'd like to avoid folders on this one if possible.

Yeah I did ponder both those things, but then realised that the likes of Disney Afternoon Collection and Mega Man Legacy Collection do it this way, so wanted to be consistent with what's being released right now.

I might end up making two sets.

Yep, blaring horn for me too, as well as choppy audio. This is likely because it's a PAL ROM. We need to convert it to NTSC.

Just copy the new files over the old ones, then do an uninstall. You'll be fine this way.

Thanks, just went back to factory settings per your advice. Scary stuff nonetheless haha. Dont want to lose a snes mini :p. And now just reflash the custom kernel?

Edit

Just reflashed to the new kernel and resynced my games, and everything is still there! All my saves etc, so awesome. Thanks for the help Robin64!

Now one more question, how do I activate a custom border and how do I put it in the system?

Can anyone make this border for Chrono Trigger?

chrono_trigger_2.jpg

Maybe in black/white and a little blurred as the Giantbomb guys had for their endurance run? See here:

maxresdefault.jpg

royox

Any way to make DBZ Hyperdimensions to work? It's literally the only DBZ game I want on the system and the f*cker won't work dammit.

Daffy Duck

Sheesh, the numbering of Final Fantasy games is a mess.

Ahhhh, is this is a thing to keep in mind? Should ROMS be US? Even for a UK mini?

Zolbrod

Did you select the Super Famicom option when you started up the Hakchi2 the first time? Also, do you have the latest version 2.0.20.15? Someone was saying it fixes a critical problem with the SFC Mini and I have no clue if that is to do with your problem.

Yeah, I did select the Super Famicom option, but I think I’m still on a slightly older version, so that might be the issue.
I’ll try downloading the latest update.

Thanks!

MoogPaul

So what's the story on upgrading hakchi? I installed .14 last night, downloaded the new .15 update from the app itself. Do I have to reflash the custom kernel or will it take care of it by itself when I synch to the mini?

Footos22

Put 72 roms on my mini all work perfect. Pal roms cause choppy audio unfortunatly so couldn't get my parodious or pop n twinbee working properly so left them off

Dimentios

I don't know how all your setup is, but my computer and my tv are at different corners of the room.
So modifying the system, apply changes and see if these changes did indeed apply means unplugging an replugging the snes mini quite often. Meh.

I also ordered two 3-meter-cables for the controllers.

I'll guess there is no harm compressing the 21 original games?

がんばれゴエモンゆき姫救出絵巻

I tried it on my euro snes mini and it did display in japanese but only a bit of it appeared, not sure if it's because im using english one or the font system just doesnt support all the letters.

All it would display was

がんばれゴエモンゆき

which makes me think it wont display the kanji outside of the built in games.

You're correct - doesn't register a bunch of the characters.

Top Bottom