• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Is there a way to turn off the anti-epilepsy feature yet?

full.gif

For the games that have issues, like Krusty's Super Fun House, is there any hope that they'll get figured out in the future? Or do they just not run properly and that's that?

I wanted to wait to hack my SNES Classic until all the bugs were worked out but if it's not something that will get worked out I guess there's no reason to wait.

DansDans

Puzzle Bobble AKA Bust A Move is glitchy - it makes doing accurate shots very difficult and the screen size extends past the border

Bootlegs are a mix bag - Street Fighter EX doesnt load up, eventually getting a C7 error, while Street Fighter 5 (a South American hack of SF2 World Warrior with the boss characters) loads up fine

If you haven't done much of this yet, read the OP first so you have an idea of how everything works. You need to overmount the file /usr/bin/clover-canoe-shvc. Make a copy of it onto your computer, then make a text file named something like p0202_filter with two lines--
Code:
overmount /usr/bin/clover-canoe-shvc
and a blank line underneath. Put the file you created in /var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/etc/preinit.d/

Now, edit your copy of clover-canoe-shvc based on how you want your filters to behave. There are three relevant lines here.
Code:
keep-aspect-ratio) options="$options -filter 1 -magfilter X" ;; //4:3 mode
pixel-perfect) options="$options -filter 1 --pixel-perfect" ;;
crt-filter) options="$options -filter 2 -magfilter X" ;;

-magfilter is what controls the display filter. Set it to 3 to disable the bilinear filter, or set it to 2 to enable the horizontal-only linear filter.

-filter controls the scanline filter. You can turn it on by setting it to 2, for example if you want to use scanlines in pixel perfect mode as well.

After you set it up how you like, copy that file to /var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/usr/bin/.

I have asked Cluster if this could be added as a checkbox option in the GUI. Not sure it is possible. Could you explain how to edit the canoe-clove-shvc file? What application do I need to open it? I did the FTP part etc. Thank you.

daxgame

where the hell is hakchi2 being installed with the web installer??
I'll make sure to not lose my kernel dump... if I can find it :)

I'm new to Hakchi, is there any chance of a better scanline filter being made to replace the kind of disappointing crt filter on the classic, or is that completely impossible?

inner-G

Banned
I installed 2.20 over RC4 without flashing back to the original, but all seems to be running well.

Am I already dead? What should I do?

Yukinari

Had no issues installing the hack and loading the few games I own that weren't already on it. A few games have issues with the emulator:

The original PGA Tour Golf works but has no music and some minor graphical glitches. It's playable.

SSF2 and SFA2 don't work but we already knew they wouldn't.

My SNES mini did seem quite warm by the time I was done testing things. Hope they look into that.

I think as long as you have version 2.20.14 you should be ok in terms of heat issues. Mine was getting hot with 2.20.10

2.20.15 is out. "Tiny but important fix for Super Famicon"

Anyone already tried using extension cables or the retro receiver from 8bitdo? Does this add input lag?

Daffy Duck

Does Hakchi automatically get box art?

Also does it automatically create those icons that people have in screenshots?

Sorry, new to all this ad didn’t have a NES mini

naitosan

Updated my SNES classic and everything seems to be working well. I went ahead and update my NES classic and now all games won't run. It's stuck in black screen. UI menu works though. I tried to uninstall and restore original kernel then re install custom kernel and games in. Still same issue. I set console type to NES classic. Any idea?

EDIT: I tried with compression disabled, still no go.

CLEEK

Does Hakchi automatically get box art?

Also does it automatically create those icons that people have in screenshots?

Sorry, new to all this ad didn't have a NES mini

Video that goes through the setup and usage of Hakchi2.

https://youtu.be/JdoeecAjvwg

It's super easy. It doesn't automatically find box art, but has an in-built Google image search that found the box art for every one of my games.

Robin64

Also, you don't have to leave space in the middle for the picture. The system takes care of that. You don't even have to resize the images. You only have to modify the bottom right one, if you prefer. But "deleting" the middle part and smaller resolutions reduce the file size of the images drastically. So that's an necessary step indeed.

Interesting findings about the border stuff! I'll probably still make the holes manually on my PC, so I can see what the border will look like when done, but that's nice to know.

Joey Ravn

Banned
My dream is dead :(

Cluster is aware of the UI lag issue while using the "remove_thumbnails" module, but he says he doesn't know how to fix it.

Maybe we can achieve a lag-free, yet similar, effect by changing all the small boxes into transparent PNGs?

I struggle to get the console to connect to hakchi2 each time. I end up turning the console off and on over and over again to get it to finally move new games to the system. It is so weird. I also couldn't get Super Street Fighter 2 to work. Anyone else have any issues connecting or getting SSF2 to work? Thanks!

The Dark One

I struggle to get the console to connect to hakchi2 each time. I end up turning the console off and on over and over again to get it to finally move new games to the system. It is so weird. I also couldn't get Super Street Fighter 2 to work. Anyone else have any issues connecting or getting SSF2 to work? Thanks!

The Dark One
Only game I tested that gives me a straight up error.

Tried WeaponLord and sadly it loses sound eventually and then keeps going even after someone KO's the opponent.

S1kkZ

2.0.20.15 is the newest version, right? i isntalled 20.10 12 hours ago, but apparently it has some cpu leak issue?

Joey Ravn

Banned
2.0.20.15 is the newest version, right? i isntalled 20.10 12 hours ago, but apparently it has some cpu leak issue?

It's the latest version. It's not a CPU leak, though. Hakchi was upping the usage from 2v to 3.5v, as far as I know. This latest version fixes that issue.

That will work, you'll just need to change the cursor too.

That's what I was thinking. Any idea on how to change the cursor?

It's not ideal, though. I would need to add the original games as custom games, and the high-res issues of Secret of Mana are a pretty high deterrent for that.

ggx2ac

What games exhibit problems?
Seiken Densetsu 3 (hi-res components are blurry)

The funny part is using Retroarch fixes that problem but it then has audio issues in-game.

I tried the option Threaded Video: On with Retroarch, and it sorta makes it less worse with the music in the main menu. Hopefully the audio issue doesn't occur elsewhere in the game.

So I got RetroArch running on the mini so I could play some of the non-working games like Terranigma and Tales of Phantasia.

What I didn't expect is that they would integrate perfectly in the mini's UI. I was expecting to open an extra program or something but they fit perfectly and don't look out of place. My OCD is pleased.

Only thing it can't do is apply the backgrounds obviously and the system's reset button doesn't work (but I have it bound to controller so that's fine) What I found super neat is while you can't rewind you can create suspend points. Didn't expect it to keep that.

I'm probably done adding games at this point with a nice and even 50. I imagine I'll mess around with modding more backgrounds and other visual things once more people start messing around with it.

Robin64

That's what I was thinking. Any idea on how to change the cursor?

It's not ideal, though. I would need to add the original games as custom games, and the high-res issues of Secret of Mana are a pretty high deterrent for that.

Secret of Mana will retain its hi-res mode as long as you copy the folder off the SNES Mini and don't alter it.

As for changing the cursor, I believe it's part of a larger .json file with all the UI graphics.. Would have to figure out which one, make the cursor bits transparent, then overmount to a new location to read that one. Not too hard if we can find that file.

Edit: Found packed.png that contains loads of UI elements, but I can't see the cursor in there. There is another folder in here, /anim/ with a load of "cursor_xxx.anim" files and I have no idea how we could alter those..

After uninstalling 2.0.20.10, do you need to do hold reset and power on before flashing the new kernel version? Do I also need to reinstall the driver?

Robin64

After uninstalling 2.0.20.10, do you need to do hold reset and power on before flashing the new kernel version? Do I also need to reinstall the driver?

Yeah, you'll need to use the reset combo until you have the custom firmware back on there, where you can start syncing games again without doing it.

And no, the driver won't need reinstalling again.

Anyone already tried using extension cables or the retro receiver from 8bitdo? Does this add input lag?

I'm using the extension cables I bought for my NES mini controllers, and it works flawlessly from what I can tell.

I've read most of the thread and have seen this asked a few times but not fully answered, but it's important to me since I'm not the only one using the console:

If I flash the console using hakchi, will both the "battery saves" AND save states for the original games be kept? Will they be usable on the custom kernel and survive a possible reflashing of the original kernel if something goes wrong? My fiancee will end me if I wipe her SMW save ^^

wrowa

If I want to try to reinstall Retroarch, can I just install it over the old installation or do I have to reset back to my original kernel and flash it again?

If it’s the latter, is there any way to back up save files of games I already added? And what’s the difference
between restoring the original kernel and uninstall anyway?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Secret of Mana will retain its hi-res mode as long as you copy the folder off the SNES Mini and don't alter it.

As for changing the cursor, I believe it's part of a larger .json file with all the UI graphics.. Would have to figure out which one, make the cursor bits transparent, then overmount to a new location to read that one. Not too hard if we can find that file.

Edit: Found packed.png that contains loads of UI elements, but I can't see the cursor in there. There is another folder in here, /anim/ with a load of "cursor_xxx.anim" files and I have no idea how we could alter those..

Mmmh. Interesting. I think I'll give it a try in a few hours.

Posting my hack-related replies from the other thread:

Haven't seen anyone who got the US version working, which is odd because the Japanese version works.

What, the Japanese version works? Awesome, thanks!

As far I'm aware it acts like a forwarder.

The GUI is identical to the basic SNES Classic menu, but the underlying core makes it so it just loads the game via RA. You don't actually go into a separate Retroarch menu and load the games individually from there. The library of added RA games still show up in the SNES Classic game list. It just not using the Native built-in Emulator.

This is useful for problem games that don't play nice with the default emu such as Terranigma for example.

I asked this in the other thread, but never got a reply: do Retroarch-emulated games still work with savestates and rewind?

If I want to try to reinstall Retroarch, can I just install it over the old installation or do I have to reset back to my original kernel and flash it again?

If it’s the latter, is there any way to back up save files of games I already added? And what’s the difference
between restoring the original kernel and uninstall anyway?

I just installed it as is. Didn't have to roll back at all and lose anything.

Maxrunner

When updating hakchi do you only need to overwriting the files and folders?
I assume you should revert to original kernel before doing this right?

Robin64

When updating hakchi do you only need to overwriting the files and folders?
I assume you should revert to original kernel before doing this right?

Cluster does currently recommend using an Uninstall, but this is mostly as a catch-all to fix the voltage problems that people may or may not have. It's just easier to tell everyone to start fresh. (Honestly, it takes 5 mins and you lose no game stuff, so probably best to take the advice)

Robin halp

I only used rc3 that clusterr askdd via twitter if people could test it. Do I have to reflash the kernel if I want to use the latest rc?

Because im having 0 issues so far.

Also thanks for all your posts robin they are invaluable.

Robin64

Robin halp

I only used rc3 that clusterr askdd via twitter if people could test it. Do I have to reflash the kernel if I want to use the latest rc?

Because im having 0 issues so far.

Also thanks for all your posts robin they are invaluable.

I would do it just to be safe. Just because you're seeing no issues doesn't mean there's nothing going on behind the scenes that shouldn't.

It takes less than 5 minutes to reflash, better safe than regret it later.

Yeah, just untick them in hakchi and resync.

You can, just make sure you keep the ID the same. (The CLV-P-xxxx part)

This is very important info. So is this ID generated from some game information (and thus the same for everyone that uses the same ROM), or randomly generated by Hakchi, or what?

OmegaDL50 wanted Secret of Mana 2 box art in the style of the cover of the first game, so I whipped something up. I hope I got everything right, if not I'll update it as necessary. [...]

This is fucking amazing and definitely needs more visibility. Would a new thread be overkill?

I installed 2.20 over RC4 without flashing back to the original, but all seems to be running well.

Am I already dead? What should I do?

At worst you can just use the uninstall option to reflash your old kernel dump (which is the same independently of Hakchi version). You kept that dump very, very safe, right?

Save states: Yes.
Rewind: No.

Thanks for the info! I don't think I'll use Retroarch then...

Robin64

This is very important info. So is this ID generated from some game information (and thus the same for everyone that uses the same ROM), or randomly generated by Hakchi, or what?

If you use hakchi to add a new game, it's randomly generated. But the ones on the console already have one, so if you FTPd in and grabbed them off there, they will still have the one they were assigned. Hakchi won't generate a new one.

LeeorV

Neo Member
So without any physical modification, how big is the storage on the unit? how many SNES roms can you theoretically fit on it?

also, a more programming question: Why is Hackchi based on Winforms and not WPF? is there any plan to convert? if not, I'd like to mess around and maybe do it for you as a personal project some time.

bubumiao

Do I need "use_nestopia.hmod" to be in cores for retroarch? Or do they just automatically patch when I add them? I'm talking about NES roms.

Top Bottom