• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sniper Elite 3 |OT| "In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.”

I just got it for the PS4, only finished the second level yet and am playing on Sniper Elite difficulty. It is so much better than V2, which was already a good game. I can't wait to try out the online. I hope it stays active for a while and that all of the preorder DLC goes up for sale in the near future.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The animation in this game could give Bethesda a run for their money for worst in the industry.

If you're so awful at animation, make the game FPV... the TPV is not very flattering.

Also, how do you not have a shoulder swap in a TPS? And only two movement speeds in a stealth-based game is another mistake. Especially when the walk is too slow and the jog is too fast.

I like a lot about the mechanics of shooting and the cat and mouse combat... but what a poor effort as far as animation and locomotion. Very substandard, and disappointing. I wish more devs gave this the attention and effort it deserves.

So my campaign has come to a crashing halt.

Seems that right now its impossible to complete Siwa Oasis on custom difficulty w/o assists. You MUST tag a target to complete the mission and since I'm running without tagging I'm screwed.

Authentic difficulty might have a workaround where you just hold your binoculars on the target for a few seconds at maximum zoom, but custom difficulty looks fucked.

Rebellion on Steam Forums said:
Hello again!

I spoken to the Development team.

We have discovered a problem when on Custom for this particular map that you are experiencing. I suggest playing through this mission only on Authentic to complete it.

This should only effect consoles. All PC versions are working correctly regarding this particular issue.

A patch is on its way for the consoles. Thank you for the detailed information that helped us to pinpoint the problem.
(link)

Guess I'm not playing this until there's a patch. Well... fuck.

I seemed to have fixed my previous issue with my saved game. Had to power the system completely down. When I reloaded the game the sync menu popped up giving me two options to load a save from my console or the cloud. I chose the cloud save and it worked, although I am back about 5 minutes from my previous save. Better then nothing I suppose.

Gaz_RB

So my campaign has come to a crashing halt.

Seems that right now its impossible to complete Siwa Oasis on custom difficulty w/o assists. You MUST tag a target to complete the mission and since I'm running without tagging I'm screwed.

Authentic difficulty might have a workaround where you just hold your binoculars on the target for a few seconds at maximum zoom, but custom difficulty looks fucked.

(link)

Guess I'm not playing this until there's a patch. Well... fuck.

That's one of the silliest things I've heard of. How can you not test for that?

MUnited83

For you.
The animation in this game could give Bethesda a run for their money for worst in the industry.

If you're so awful at animation, make the game FPV... the TPV is not very flattering.

Also, how do you not have a shoulder swap in a TPS? And only two movement speeds in a stealth-based game is another mistake. Especially when the walk is too slow and the jog is too fast.

I like a lot about the mechanics of shooting and the cat and mouse combat... but what a poor effort as far as animation and locomotion. Very substandard, and disappointing. I wish more devs gave this the attention and effort it deserves.
i then there is shoulder swap, but i dont know how? I did see a stream where someone did by accident.

cant get to any game. I think something is broken.

Yeah its weird. I was able to get into an 8 player TDM game (which started as 5 on 3, then 5 on 2, yay for allowing anyone to change teams in the lobby). But after it ended only 4 of us stuck around for the next game then it was just me and one other player. I backed out and tried to find a game using the "any" option and kept getting placed in empty lobbies.

MP is awesome when there are other players though. I was very excited to see a mode called No Cross (I never tried V2 MP) since I played a ton of SOCOM and remember all the sniper lobbies where we made pretend lines down the map for sniper only matches but I only ever saw one other player in that playlist.

I wish they'd show online player count so I'd know if its worth the time to try and find a game or not.

Help!

AA4ssf6.jpg

My guy is stuck in a sandbag. Foolishly I saved the game, thinking when I reloaded it it would revert to the last auto save/checkpoint. But no, every time I load I'm stuck in the sandbag. I can't mantle it, crawl away from it, or anything. Do I need to reload the whole mission or does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

Roughly how much better is this than 2?
I never finished 2, but I would say 10x better. Other than when you get stuck in a sandbag that is. Levels are fairly huge and wide open, there are lots of ways to approach your objectives, and once enemies are on to you it's pretty easy to relocate and engage them again without getting swarmed.

Matush

Any idea what the length of the campaign is?
It depends on your playstyle. If you go guns blazing on the easiest difficulty, I'd say around 5-6hours. If you want to explore everything that game has to offer and play majority of the game stealthly, 10-12 without a doubt.

The AI really let's the game down at times. Level 4 spoilers:

I let the prisoner out of his cell and I had to clear the courtyard. I accidently got spotted and a guard ran right into the room where the prisoner was just stood there out of his cell. He checked the room and left. No care in the world

I'm playing on Marksman. Is it better on higher difficulties?

eshwaaz

I'm up to Mission 6 and have been having a great time, despite some clunkiness and a general lack of refinement.

Ragdolls clip into the environment literally half the time, spazzing out with their best Jacob's Ladder impression. Animation in general is stiff and robotic. Enemy A.I. can be comically poor. Even the X-Ray kills, which are obviously a huge focus, don't always play out correctly - impact sounds play too early, bone shatters nowhere near the point of bullet entry/exit, and characters are frequently oddly framed or disappear completely, leaving just a lone bullet and a bunch of crunchy squishy sounds. On top of all that, the game is buggy, with one in particular that prevents progression.

And yet, I'm having a great time. The moment-to-moment gameplay is fun and satisfying. The levels are not only huge, but are also surprisingly diverse in both setting and layout. Rebellion made good on their claims that this game would be far more open than V2, with impressive freedom in how you approach each scenario. A lot of the levels are genuinely great, and there's not a single one so far that I'm not looking forward to replaying.

Sniper Elite 3 is flawed, sure - seriously flawed, arguably - but man, is it fun.

ArjanN

Help!

AA4ssf6.jpg

My guy is stuck in a sandbag. Foolishly I saved the game, thinking when I reloaded it it would revert to the last auto save/checkpoint. But no, every time I load I'm stuck in the sandbag. I can't mantle it, crawl away from it, or anything. Do I need to reload the whole mission or does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

I never finished 2, but I would say 10x better. Other than when you get stuck in a sandbag that is. Levels are fairly huge and wide open, there are lots of ways to approach your objectives, and once enemies are on to you it's pretty easy to relocate and engage them again without getting swarmed.

Blow yourself up with grenades/dynamite?

Lizardus

Finished the 3rd mission and I already have 9.6 hours. Yikes. I have been exploring and collecting all the things and playing pure stealth.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Think I'm done with the game until DLC hits or if I can be bothered to do a speed run to get the achievements which didn't unlock. Some stats from my playtime. I enjoyed the game but the A.I is still floored and certain areas need to improved. I'll have a review up sometime in the week.

• Playtime - 38 hours
  • Kills - 2935
  • Shot Distance - 90905m
  • Longest Shot - 617.92m
  • Campaign Progress 100%
  • Difficulty Complete - Authentic

Finished the 3rd mission and I already have 9.6 hours. Yikes. I have been exploring and collecting all the things and playing pure stealth.
Hehe, I'm at 23 hours in and 24% campaign completion.

There's a bug halting my forward progress, but that hasn't kept me away from replaying earlier missions and trying some co-op. This game is a very special kind of crack, but then again I've always wanted an open world sniping game, and haven't found a good one until now.

Yeah, the game definitely has its share of jank, but there's nothing else out there doing what this game is doing.

Stil on the third mission. Thanks to the save anywhere feature, I've been inafraid to put all assists 'off' and make it more immersive.

Not that I'm that hardcore- I have the AI on 'Rookie' and the bullet physics on 'simple'.

I like the way it feels with those settings.

lacinius

Really enjoying this quite a lot, and just starting the 4th mission. Easily the best surprise I've had so far on the PS4. Promotions... upgrades... play the game to fit your style the way you want... good stuff!!!

Not that there's much competition but I think this is the best third person shooter on PS4 right now. I'm loving it, just bought my Gamefly copy for $35 (the keep it price was $40 and every month you get a $5 coupon).

I'm going through the levels fairly haphazardly, I expect to be playing through the game a couple more times so I'll get all the sniper perches/secondary objectives later.

Not that there's much competition but I think this is the best third person shooter on PS4 right now. I'm loving it, just bought my Gamefly copy for $35 (the keep it price was $40 and every month you get a $5 coupon).

I'm going through the levels fairly haphazardly, I expect to be playing through the game a couple more times so I'll get all the sniper perches/secondary objectives later.

Hey I'm loving the game too but the best TPS on PS4 so far is Tomb Raider without a doubt, that is until The Last of Us comes out in a few weeks.

I'm up to Mission 6 and have been having a great time, despite some clunkiness and a general lack of refinement.

Ragdolls clip into the environment literally half the time, spazzing out with their best Jacob's Ladder impression. Animation in general is stiff and robotic. Enemy A.I. can be comically poor. Even the X-Ray kills, which are obviously a huge focus, don't always play out correctly - impact sounds play too early, bone shatters nowhere near the point of bullet entry/exit, and characters are frequently oddly framed or disappear completely, leaving just a lone bullet and a bunch of crunchy squishy sounds. On top of all that, the game is buggy, with one in particular that prevents progression.

And yet, I'm having a great time. The moment-to-moment gameplay is fun and satisfying. The levels are not only huge, but are also surprisingly diverse in both setting and layout. Rebellion made good on their claims that this game would be far more open than V2, with impressive freedom in how you approach each scenario. A lot of the levels are genuinely great, and there's not a single one so far that I'm not looking forward to replaying.

Sniper Elite 3 is flawed, sure - seriously flawed, arguably - but man, is it fun.

Sums up my feelings as well. There are bugs (I saw the invisible Nazi too) but I'm recommending this one left and right. I didn't have a problem with the ragdoll spazzing (it's kind of funny) until the body finally tossed itself into another guard's patrol path (not so funny). But so far it's been pretty manageable even when the guards go bananas. Since this game dispenses with any sort of award for going all-stealth (from what I can tell - unlike Hitman: Abs. which gave you more points if you were a 'ghost' throughout the level), if I blow it I just let the guards go bonkers, evade/kill everyone, and then continue on. My only concern is collecting all the side stuff in the first run, since it takes a pretty long time to try again. The environments look nice and the unlocks come at an agreeable pace. I have to admit though, I'm a corporal Mark 2 and have no idea what that means (MP/co-op?).

Overall having a great time. It's cool to see games visit this period again, and do something a little different than the run n gun/stop and pop gameplay down a set path.

Help! I'm in Siwa Oasis, I climbed to the top of the scaffolding and now I'm supposed to tag one of three officers that get together and talk. Every time I tag the one that's talking about taking the journal it ends in a mission fail, what am I supposed to be doing?

Aklamarth

Neuromancer said:
Help! I'm in Siwa Oasis, I climbed to the top of the scaffolding and now I'm supposed to tag one of three officers that get together and talk. Every time I tag the one that's talking about taking the journal it ends in a mission fail, what am I supposed to be doing?

tag the one on the left

Is coop progress meant to be separate or did I just get unlucky? In coop all missions do seem to be unlocked from the start which is weird.

KGoogle

Are you playing it on authentic?

Lima

Is coop progress meant to be separate or did I just get unlucky? In coop all missions do seem to be unlocked from the start which is weird.

Yeah the mission select progress is separate. Everything else (difficulty completed and collectibles) are shared.

No. No. No no no.

Siwa Oasis, the same part mentioned a few posts up. Took me probably a good hour and a half to get to this point, wound up going around the whole area and taking out everyone before going to the main objectives. I saw an awesome two-person-lined-up shot coming, so I did a manual save as it'd fail the mission to alert anyone. I took the shot and failed. Hit load last save... the guys are still alive, but the game acts like I already took a shot, and immediately fails the mission. I reload again, it loads, immediately fails. I have to redo the whole mission. I haven't had something like this happen in years, holy shit is it frustrating.

No. No. No no no.

Siwa Oasis, the same part mentioned a few posts up. Took me probably a good hour and a half to get to this point, wound up going around the whole area and taking out everyone before going to the main objectives. I saw an awesome two-person-lined-up shot coming, so I did a manual save as it'd fail the mission to alert anyone. I took the shot and failed. Hit load last save... the guys are still alive, but the game acts like I already took a shot, and immediately fails the mission. I reload again, it loads, immediately fails. I have to redo the whole mission. I haven't had something like this happen in years, holy shit is it frustrating.

I use multiple save slots for each mission. It's avoided me all frustration when I've encountered some glitches.

Lrrr

I'm on the third mission (Halfaya Pass) and good lord, the map is enormous.

That said, I think I enjoy the idea of Sniper Elite 3 more than the game itself. By that I mean I love the stealth gameplay and how it rewards patience and planning, but the actual game is very unpolished and the AI is either too dumb or too smart. It's a shame because underneath is the potential for a great game too.

NIN90

Game is pretty fun (PC version). One thing that I love about it is that it has save-anywhere (would appreciate a quicksave tho) which is IMO a MUST more open stealth games like this. Really surprised by that, figured this game to be a barebones console port.

Lima

Game is pretty fun (PC version). One thing that I love about it is that it has save-anywhere (would appreciate a quicksave tho) which is IMO a MUST more open stealth games like this. Really surprised by that, figured this game to be a barebones console port.

Why?

If anything just like V2 the console ports are afterthoughts. They didn't get the awesome Zombie Army add on and for Sniper Elite 3 they actually have no plans to offer the season pass on consoles and the DLC will be out a while after the PC.

NIN90

Why?

If anything just like V2 the console ports are afterthoughts. They didn't get the awesome Zombie Army add on and for Sniper Elite 3 they actually have no plans to offer the season pass on consoles and the DLC will be out a while after the PC.
I dunno. Didn't do a whole lot of research before buying. I simpy assumed.

Starting Kasserine Pass. Our hero's obsession with mines is starting to get pretty damn hilarious.

Edit: You'd think a game like this would have the option to switch your "shoulder" while aiming non-sniper weapons.

Top Bottom