• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNSD and K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dice said:
Some thoughts for the haters:

The phrase "it's creepy" is just a way of saying you are uncomfortable with something. This is understandable when it goes against the proper way of nature, like pedophilia, but when it is something like men admiring the beauty of women in their 20s I can't find any good reason to be against it.

Perhaps you think we spend night and day obsessing over them. Well, I suppose I can't speak for the others, but I don't think that is the case... okay, well maybe with Salazar it is. However, these girls are insanely popular worldwide, there are photos and gifs and videos of them everywhere. It doesn't take long to find a nice one and share it here.

When I look around, I don't see how the focus on them is higher than it is with celebrities in the west. There may be more content about them, because they do more shows and interviews than the often recluse Hollywood stars, but I can't help but think that many are blind to how much focus they personally put on the same 2-3 dozen western stars.

Of all the things in the world to become indignant about, to hold an air of superiority and look down on others over, you pick the simple, open appreciation of beauty? If it is truly a higher mindset that rejects such a thing, may I remain a simpleton forever. To take a simple happiness that another finds in something good and actually spend energy and words tearing it apart... I can't help but find that creepy.

However, something lingers in the back of my mind, a question... When it's celebrities of any other ethnicity, it is never called creepy unless they are underage. Those posting may be seen as immature for ogling women, but they aren't called creepy and those not interested usually just stay out. So why is the creepy card played every time without fail when the subject is Asian?

Is it really because of a predominant stereotype of a social reject trying to find acceptance in a foreign culture, or could it be that the foreign culture itself is rejected as something only a weirdo could possibly find interest in? I really want to think better of others, to not assume racism and xenophobia, but when I try to find other ways out of it, the contrast of reactions with that factor in view is far too stark and consistent. I'm not saying that it's a conscious discrimination, but it's really disappointing.
Or it's because they're familiar with the wota phenomenon in Japan in regards to J-Pop idol groups, and are seeing similarities and the start of fans going that route here. :p

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
XiaNaphryz said:
Or it's because they're familiar with the wota phenomenon in Japan in regards to J-Pop idol groups, and are seeing similarities and the start of fans going that route here. :p
You miss the second, third, and final paragraphs? You could also see a bit of partying as the start of alcoholism, but that's hardly fair. Use your mind, make fair judgments, and try to avoid double standards. You only come off as a douche when you unfairly judge others. Even if the assumption ends up being true regarding some, I'm pretty sure telling an obsessive person they are creepy would hardly deter them.

tiff

Banned
watatatow said:
Nothing, you're just not interested in Asian women, and as a result you don't pay attention.

I myself don't give a flying fuck about live action TV series, so just about every TV actor looks like a generic mannequin to me.
I don't know if it's a matter of interest moreso than it's a matter of exposure. Those who lack a lot of experience with a particular ethnicity will tend to focus on the basic features that binds ethnic groups together and miss the minute details that differentiate individuals.

The problem's probably amplified when dealing with celebrities because a culture's definition of ideal beauty tends to be pretty limited.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Dice said:

The phrase "it's creepy" is just a way of saying you are uncomfortable with something. This is understandable when it goes against the proper way of nature, like pedophilia, but when it is something like men admiring the beauty of women in their 20s I can't find any good reason to be against it.

Perhaps you think we spend night and day obsessing over them. Well, I suppose I can't speak for the others, but I don't think that is the case... okay, well maybe with Salazar it is. However, these girls are insanely popular worldwide, there are photos and gifs and videos of them everywhere. It doesn't take long to find a nice one and share it here.

When I look around, I don't see how the focus on them is higher than it is with celebrities in the west. There may be more content about them, because they do more shows and interviews than the often recluse Hollywood stars, but I can't help but think that many are blind to how much focus they personally put on the same 2-3 dozen western stars.

Of all the things in the world to become indignant about, to hold an air of superiority and look down on others over, you pick the simple, open appreciation of beauty? If it is truly a higher mindset that rejects such a thing, may I remain a simpleton forever. To take a simple happiness that another finds in something good and actually spend energy and words tearing it apart... I can't help but find that creepy.

However, something lingers in the back of my mind, a question... When it's celebrities of any other ethnicity, it is never called creepy unless they are underage. Those posting may be seen as immature for ogling women, but they aren't called creepy and those not interested usually just stay out. So why is the creepy card played every time without fail when the subject is Asian?

Is it really because of a predominant stereotype of a social reject trying to find acceptance in a foreign culture, or could it be that the foreign culture itself is rejected as something only a weirdo could possibly find interest in? I really want to think better of others, to not assume racism and xenophobia, but when I try to find other ways out of it, the contrast of reactions with that factor in view is far too stark and consistent. I'm not saying that it's a conscious discrimination, but it's really disappointing.

This is a masterpiece of rationalization.

Dice

Aruarian Reflection said:
This is a masterpiece of rationalization.
A condescending tone doesn't make you right. Feel free to come back if you ever find a good reason for judging others over your personal hangups. As it stands, biology, sociology, all of human history and plain reason are against you.

Fafnir

Yuri and Fany time when they debut as Music Core MC.

JU6xm.gif
MX356.gif

kutxR.gif
Lud9Q.gif

8O6Wo.gif
oBkfH.gif

PoliceCop

Banned
Dice said:

The OP lists stats for these girls as if they were Pokemon cards. The way people write about these girls/bands is just kinda gross, not morally wrong or reprehensible, just kind of developmentally stilted and disgusting. Also, the music is terrible.

Ashhong

Stats? It's their nicknames and what they're known for/best skills in the group. Big fucking deal.

Please give examples of how people write about these girls that is so gross. The way people comment about the girls in the Hot Girls threads is much much worse.

and wtf is your avatar

Steelrain

This thread gave me cold chills. I don't know why.

Whatever floats your boat though. I'll just try to look at gifs of the girls being sexy and try not to read too much.

PoliceCop

Banned
Charmander: A fire-salamander type Pokemon
Known for:
-Amazing cuteness with eye smile
-One of the most sweet and kind Pokemon ever
-Messing up on stage

Dice

As the OP shows, they aren't just a music group, they are media personalities. How is it "kind of developmentally stilted and disgusting" wanting to get to know what they are like as people rather than just gawk at them as objects?

Really, these kind of things are said but the apparently proper way to admire an admirable person is never outlined. This is because a double standard between their judgments and practices would inevitably be exposed. It's so clear I don't know why you guys even try.

Ashhong

PoliceCop said:
Charmander: A fire-salamander type Pokemon
Known for:
-Amazing cuteness with eye smile
-One of the most sweet and kind Pokemon ever
-Messing up on stage

Angelina Jolie: a milf
Known for:
-Dick sucking lips
-married to Brad Pitt
-sexyness that could kill

how creepy!

Dice said:
As the OP shows, they aren't just a music group, they are media personalities. How is it "kind of developmentally stilted and disgusting" wanting to get to know what they are like as people rather than just gawk at them as objects?

Really, these kind of things are said but the apparently proper way to admire an admirable person is never outlined. This is because a double standard between their judgments and practices would inevitably be exposed. It's so clear I don't know why you guys even try.

God I wish the mods could keep the trolls away like they would for any other thread.

Ashhong said:
Known for:
-Dick sucking lips
-married to Brad Pitt

how creepy!

God I wish the mods could keep the trolls away like they would for any other thread.

In his/her defense, he/she may also think that behavior is disgusting. The issue I have is that this thread has been singled out, when there are about 30 threads in OT that do the exact same thing. The reason for the singling out would probably also be disgusting (lol you guys are nerds), but what it comes down to...

Don't feed the troll anymore.

Edit:

What does "bunki gayo" mean?

PoliceCop

Banned
Ashhong said:
Known for:
-Dick sucking lips
-married to Brad Pitt

how creepy!

That's not even half as creepy. Try harder. More "cuteness with eyesmile" and superlative statements about being one of the most "insert desirable quality" girls ever.

-NeoTB1-

Wow. Some people in here are really insecure...

Anyways, great OP. I like J-Pop, but I don't really know any bands. I'm hoping this thread will help change that.

PoliceCop said:
That's not even half as creepy. Try harder. More "cuteness with eyesmile" and superlative statements about being one of the most "insert desirable quality" girls ever.

Wait, so saying a girl has lips that are good for sucking dick is less creepy than saying a girl is cute? Are you saying that a preference for a hyper-sexualized look is more normal than a preference for a quality that is considered relatively innocent? Do you realize how perverse an outlook that is?

You're basically forcing your cultural imperative on others. You can have your own preferences, but condemning others for theirs?

Ashhong

PoliceCop said:

The fuck? It's the same thing. Personal qualities that people find attractive. Dick sucking lips is an okay quality to single out but not eye smiles?

edit: i got beat to the punch. but you're right, time to stop feeding the troll.

I think bunkigayo is Knockout

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I never know which is GD and which is TOP. Cool avatar anyway :p

It's TOP.

John Dunbar said:
is this the band where pantherlotus's avatars are from? which video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P40FCDFFkg4

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
What does "bunki gayo" mean?

GD&TOP? Mhm. I have no idea what I'm talking about here, but I think it's slang, translating to 'Knock Out'. Because it's slang, it was banned from most music shows.

PoliceCop

Banned
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Wait, so saying a girl has lips that are good for sucking dick is less creepy than saying a girl is cute? Are you saying that a preference for a hyper-sexualized look is more normal than a preference for a quality that is considered relatively innocent? Do you realize how perverse an outlook that is?

You're basically forcing your cultural imperative on others. You can have your own preferences, but condemning others for theirs?

At least it's direct and not phrased in a super-flowery, hopelessly idealized manner. People talk about these girls like they're sexable Pokemon.

PoliceCop said:
At least it's direct and not phrased in a super-flowery, hopelessly idealized manner. People talk about these girls like they're sexable Pokemon.

That's a quote of how a) the korean media portrays them, b) their management portrays them, and c) how the entire country refers to them. OP didn't make it up, THEY did.

So you are essentially saying that the entirety of the Republic of Korea is populated by creepers. GG.

Ashhong

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
That's a quote of how a) the korean media portrays them, b) their management portrays them, and c) how the entire country refers to them. OP didn't make it up, THEY did.

So you are essentially saying that the entirety of the Republic of Korea is populated by creepers. GG.

I still dont get the Pokemon reference. Just because the descriptions are more innocent than sexual? Retarded

Ashhong said:
I still dont get the Pokemon reference. Just because the descriptions are more innocent than sexual? Retarded

I think the pokemon reference was essentially how the data was presented (like stats) than anything. Maybe he has something against neatly organized data in reference to non-hollywood celebrities.

Dice

PoliceCop said:
At least it's direct and not phrased in a super-flowery, hopelessly idealized manner.
It's the unanimous report of anyone in Korean media who has worked with Tiffany that she is one of the sweetest girls they have ever met. How is it wrong to mention a good reputation if a person builds one in the industry? Isn't it contrasted with Jessica having a reputation for being a bit cold or Taeyeon for being dorky/kind of a pervert? People are different and have different character traits.

People talk about these girls like they're sexable Pokemon.
You're pulling this straight out of your ass. You can't even find a way to properly articulate it let alone support it.

notworksafe

Ashhong said:
Because they're asian. amirite?! :\

IMO it isn't creepy because these girls are all of age, the pictures are from public shows or photoshoots, and the "stats" are essentially their own marketing machine...same as posting a press release or some such in a thread.

American paparazzi is more creepy to me.

EDIT: It's basically the asian singer version of the Giant Bomb catchall thread really. Tons of pics and talk about the personalities and things done by the people involved in the site (or band in this case).

That was fucking bullshit the old thread got shut down. We kept it respectable. We never went into detail as to what we would do to Yuri if we could... and believe me, I could write so much about that it could span two volumes.

vas_a_morir said:
That was fucking bullshit the old thread got shut down. We kept it respectable. We never went into detail as to what we would do to Yuri if we could... and believe me, I could write so much about that it could span two volumes.

Let bygones be bygones. This thread will be just as good, and it actually has a proper title. It's a "better than expected" moment.

PoliceCop

Banned
Ashhong said:

It's because they read like a character trait at the bottom of a Pokemon card. Alternatively, a lot of people in this thread strike me as Pokemon trainers. The fact that their management comes up with these bios and the trainers eat it up makes it even worse. The girls are cute, but the presentation and fandom is pretty repulsive.

Rather than deal with the occasional, "What you guys are doing is creepy/weird", just continue on with the thread. No matter how much you defend yourselves, there will exist an opposition to this argument.

I applaud you guys actually gaining consent for this thread, though. I'm not sure of the guidelines set out by the mods you've contacted, but I wish you luck.

G-Fex

PoliceCop said:
It's because they read like a character trait at the bottom of a Pokemon card. Alternatively, a lot of people in this thread strike me as Pokemon trainers. The fact that their management comes up with these bios and the trainers eat it up makes it even worse. The girls are cute, but the presentation and fandom is pretty repulsive.

PoliceCop you're impossible.

Here's a thought, LET THEM CONTINUE THREAD. You can either bring up all this ethical stuff trying to preach for about 5 pages or you can just you know leave. Nobody ever bothered them in their old thread so why start now?

They have every right to fanboy/girl these girl groups, they're not forcing it down your throat like say gomezian's invading other threads.

In the name of common sense, let it up.

I support you guys, you want to admire something go for it, I know, I have a lot of music videos/photos for something I admire and many avatars of it too.

Also was a fan of Morning Musume and must say SNSD is just as good if not more awesome.

panda21

spindashing said:
Rather than deal with the occasional, "What you guys are doing is creepy/weird", just continue on with the thread. No matter how much you defend yourselves, there will exist an opposition to this argument.

i'm with this guy, just don't even reply. worked pretty well in the old thread.

they only keep coming back if you engage them and they arent going to change their minds

i love those pictures of them in the snow

more Taeyeon being Taeyeon

Fafnir

SNSD on Infinity Challenge.

SNSD vs krazy aerobic instructor:
9vHgl.gif
JnAjW.gif

Warming up, this isn't that bad...
tDYee.gif
2r504.gif

Aerobics go!
uY6PT.gif
yiAHB.gif

Taengoo thinking about how to escape
hJAEQ.gif
EUK0U.gif

Taengoo escape successful!
7wN2H.gif
6zxtN.gif

PoliceCop

Banned
G-Fex said:
PoliceCop you're impossible.

Here's a thought, LET THEM CONTINUE THREAD. You can either bring up all this ethical stuff trying to preach for about 5 pages or you can just you know leave. Nobody ever bothered them in their old thread so why start now?

They have every right to fanboy/girl these girl groups, they're not forcing it down your throat like say gomezian's invading other threads.

In the name of common sense, let it up.

I support you guys, you want to admire something go for it, I know, I have a lot of music videos/photos for something I admire and many avatars of it too.

Also was a fan of Morning Musume and must say SNSD is just as good if not more awesome.

I'm not stopping anyone from continuing anything, nor am I bringing up anything ethical. This is a conversation I feel like having. The notion that anyone that says something negative in a thread is trolling or otherwise ruining discussion is absurd. Additionally, I'd gladly start my own thread, but this seemed like the proper place to discuss the fandom for this sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom