• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So 1080p Owners, what are your thoughts on the PRO?

5taquitos

To be fair, OP never specifically says "1080p PS4 Pro owners," just "1080p owners." That is most likely causing all the hot takes in this thread.

PaulLFC

1080p TV owner who just bought a Pro today as an upgrade from a launch PS4 - reasons being:

1. I got a trade in deal for the old PS4 so the Pro was half price at £175
2. Supersampling will make future, and some current, games look better at 1080p than on a standard PS4
3. Other graphical effects and/or increased performance at 1080p are possible too in supported games
4. My launch PS4 was obviously out of warranty, the Pro has a year's cover and it would likely have cost £100+ to repair the launch one if it broke anyway.
5. 5GHz WiFi support which is nice since pretty much everything else in my house was on 5GHz except the PS4.
6. Remote Play improvements
7. Future proofing and having the best PS4 experience until PS5 is released.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'd like to see games using better textures for the pro. If that happens, I'd be on board.

Wollan

Ratchet & Clank looks *amazing*.
Cw7kkNtXEAE_3HW.jpg:large

The Last of Us looks super clean at 1080p@60fps (tho shadows are still the same old).

Overall seen some a really nice boost to PSVR games as well but only have had time to try Battlezone, Thumper and REZ.

Overall seen some a really nice boost to PSVR games as well but only have had time to try Battlezone, Thumper and REZ.

Delicious, damn it looks good even on 1080p can't wait to try Rachet on my 4K tv after mine comes and I sync everything over.

And see the boost on some of my VR games.

firelogic

Thanks to all the 1080p owners posting thoughts, keep em coming its very useful.

To the rest of you, why do we need to hear why you arent buying one there are other threads for that.

Because it's a "what are your thoughts on the Pro" topic. It isn't a "what are your reasons for definitely buying a Pro" topic.

Freeman76

Because it's a "what are your thoughts on the Pro" topic. It isn't a "what are your reasons for definitely buying a Pro" topic.

If you cant understand the point of my thread i dont know what to say. Too many trolls I though GAF was a place for sensible discussion, I asked a reasonable question with genuine reasons. Next time I wont bother as there are too many people determined to derail or post their opinion that has nothing to do with the thread title. Pointless.

John Wick

It's a shame that this thread has gone this way.
I am on the fence, and would like to see people look at the title, and then comment accordingly. There is already 101 threads to say they will:

1. Wait for the PS5
2. Wait for "real" 4k.
3. Don't intend to buy one as it doesn't have a UHD drive.
4. Blah, blah, blah.

Question: In what territory is the Pro $400 more expensive than a regular PS4?
Answer = None

Also add in
5. Scorpio will be better and trounce the PS4 blah blah.
There's always something better down the line!

Got my Pro yesterday.

Couldn't transfer anything from old console (long story) but starting fresh has a nice feel to it.

Currently installed the following: Track Mania, UC4, BF1, and TLOU is installing at the moment. Honestly I am a little disappointed by the change o BF1. Sure it runs a bit better but I am still getting dynamic resolution in 40 player operations :(.

I will reply later once TLOU is installed and I can check it out but for now the only difference I am enjoying is the Recording is at 1080 and can record up to 60m of gameplay at a time haha! (Also the controller is nice!)

John Wick

The Last of Us looks super clean at 1080p@60fps (tho shadows are still the same old).

I watched the videos from Gamersyde and R&C legit looks like a Pixar movie or close too. Even the kids thought I was watching the movie.

I can purchase a 4k television and a pro but Im holding off until has a nice library, was really tempted these last few days but I have PC and og4, happy with the vizio 1080p television I have also. I also want to see what Scorpio brings to the table, by then 4k/ HDR should be a bit more mature.

Azriell

I have a 4k tv. I'll interested to see if there are cases where it's better to play in 1080p instead, for the non-resolution benefits. Maybe 4k will always be better, idk. I sit pretty far from my tv though, so I'm not sure how much the resolution bump will benefit me.

I probably wouldn't get PS4 Pro so soon, but it's a perfect situation in my house. I want PSVR, so it seems like a no-brainer to pick PS4P. My wife wants to play XIV together, and I think I might like it better on the big screen than my laptop. Or I could give the old PS4 to my kids, so they can have 2 and stop fighting.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I'd buy the Pro if my PS4 broke but its nothing I'm excited for or would run out and get when Battlefront 2 comes out I might be tempted to get one depending on whatever the hell Scorpio is.

If anyone wants me to screenshot any of the following BF1, UC4, TLOU from the pro let me know. It will have to be early game on the ND games as I didnt bring my saves over.

If you have a vanilla PS4 Can you make a comparison?

Unfortunately the OG PS4 is pretty much dead (hence the upgrade) so it would be inconvenient right now :( I will try tonight after work ( as it involves me setting it back up) but I will try to get you something later.

baberunisei

I have a 1080p TV and don't plan to buy a 4K one in the near future, and I'm already convinced to get a Pro. Unfortunately I'm only gonna be able to get it when I travel to the USA in April, because I refuse to pay what they're charging for it in my country

trustter

By your pic, I bet you are in Brazil.

Right?

I have a 1080p TV and don't plan to buy a 4K one in the near future, and I'm already convinced to get a Pro. Unfortunately I'm only gonna be able to get it in when I travel to the USA in April, because I refuse to pay what they're charging for it in my country

Minamu

I got it today and I have a 1080 screen. The only games I've tried is NMS and Mirror's Edge, they seemed fine to me. Correct me if I'm wrong but am I using a higher res underneath the surface with these unpatched games? I thought I read somewhere around here that the console is natively always rendering in 4k regardless and then downsample. But perhaps that's just for patched games? What about movies and Netflix etc?

leng jai

I got it today and I have a 1080 screen. The only games I've tried is NMS and Mirror's Edge, they seemed fine to me. Correct me if I'm wrong but am I using a higher res underneath the surface with these unpatched games? I thought I read somewhere around here that the console is natively always rendering in 4k regardless and then downsample. But perhaps that's just for patched games? What about movies and Netflix etc?

Nope, you won't see a difference with unpatched games, NMS and ME 2 aren't Pro enhanced.

I'm a 1080p owner and a PSVR owner. Well worth it so far.

EDIT: Expanding on that thought, the image quality gains in PSVR are well worthwhile because the PSVR did show some pretty harsh limitations paired with the vanilla PS4 that were not easy to dismiss (but for the record, they were easy enough to forgive). Image quality gains at 1080p right now are admittedly maybe not worth it all alone. They're noticeable, but I think it will take a little time for devs to get to terms with this new spec before we start seeing anything absolutely stunning. But combined with my PSVR ownership, I think it's worth it right now. Having seemingly more stable performance in one of my big titles right now, Battlefield 1, is much appreciated, as I am playing that game a lot right now. I look forward to a similar result with FFXV (or at least I'm hopeful, not considering it confirmed until there's actually an analysis to confirm the fact)... But it's been easily worth it paired with the relatively new PSVR.

Top Bottom