• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striek

Didn't the Wii have parts shortage? Pretty sure that's why it was difficult to find.

Wii had shortages on and off for about three years in America. Its launch stock was probably lower (only 500k in first 10 days/1.1M in first 40) but its demand way insanely higher than Switch (and most other systems ever).

Unicorn

Anyone in-the-know about gamestop shipments? I only have in-store credit there and broke otherwise :(

Planning on trading in an old 3DS for $125 and that deal ends on the 19th. Bound to have a shipment or two by then, but I'm hyped really hard on playing Zelda.

Can't be that bad this person picked up some.

00O0O_eiC7ynMjWi7_600x450.jpg

This shit should be illegal

legend166

Didn't the Wii have parts shortage? Pretty sure that's why it was difficult to find.

It was difficult to find because it was selling at an unprecedented rate and Nintendo was coming off the GameCube so didn't exactly plan on selling that many consoles. To put it in perspective, the PlayStation 4 is going great and has sold 53 million after 3 years. The Wii was at 67 million after 3 years.

Scalpers getting stuck would bring me much joy unfortunately most would probably just get their money back with zero loss, makes me wish for restocking fees.

How much is a Switch going for now? I have one coming in the mail but a friend of mine offered to sell me his launch-day Switch, so I decided to go for that and sell the one coming in.

Does Nintendo do this just to make sure their profits are always high? I assume this is why their consoles start out pricey too, they don't make huge orders from their supplies up front or something, and instead hedge their bets?

Does Nintendo do this just to make sure their profits are always high? I assume this is why their consoles start out pricey too, they don't make huge orders from their supplies up front or something, and instead hedge their bets?

They're a very conservative company, more show after the Wii U failed. (Pretty much took its lifetime to sell there first year stock order). I'd imagine they would rather play it safe and not over produce. I think it's why you wont see them selling stuff for a loss any more either

How much is a Switch going for now? I have one coming in the mail but a friend of mine offered to sell me his launch-day Switch, so I decided to go for that and sell the one coming in.

$350-$380. It will go back to retail within a week most likely. It's not worth your time selling.

This shit should be illegal

How do you make money with this shit? I thought Switches were worth like, $400-425 right now. After eBay/Amazon fees and shipping you're only making like $40 per Seitch, and even with like 50 units that's only like $2,000, which isn't nearly worth the time and effort of obtaining, listing and shipping all of them.

Anyone in-the-know about gamestop shipments? I only have in-store credit there and broke otherwise :(

Planning on trading in an old 3DS for $125 and that deal ends on the 19th. Bound to have a shipment or two by then, but I'm hyped really hard on playing Zelda.

I work at GameStop, and I highly doubt any stores are going to receive more shipments by then. GameStop has told us that we are taking pre-sales for the next allocation of switch systems as in-store orders that ship to the customer's home. Currently, GameStop is doing its thing by forcing people to buy bundles of stuff you probably don't want to get a switch, and the best part is, the probably won't ship until April 16th. Yes, April. The bundle includes a switch, BOTW plus season pass, bomberman and extra joycons for $509. You can still get your trade-in deal for the online order, but you have to pay the entire amount at the time of the order. Hope this helped!

My local JB HiFi (AU) got 18 copies of Zelda Wii U (2 preordered) and about 100 copies of Zelda Switch (14 preordered).

Haven't checked with them since launch.

My local stores had zero WiiU copies of Zelda but plenty of Switch copies despite the fact that they didn't have any Switches. They literally shipped more copies of Zelda than they did Switches. Like I'm going to buy the damn game and not play it until Nintendo ships more consoles.

How do you make money with this shit? I thought Switches were worth like, $400-425 right now. After eBay/Amazon fees and shipping you're only making like $40 per Seitch, and even with like 50 units that's only like $2,000, which isn't nearly worth the time and effort of obtaining, listing and shipping all of them.

According to the 4chan thread this was taken from, this guy claims to have made a $100 profit so far. Last I checked, people were just giving him shit for being bad at scalping lol.

Unicorn

I work at GameStop, and I highly doubt any stores are going to receive more shipments by then. GameStop has told us that we are taking pre-sales for the next allocation of switch systems as in-store orders that ship to the customer's home. Currently, GameStop is doing its thing by forcing people to buy bundles of stuff you probably don't want to get a switch, and the best part is, the probably won't ship until April 16th. Yes, April. The bundle includes a switch, BOTW plus season pass, bomberman and extra joycons for $509. You can still get your trade-in deal for the online order, but you have to pay the entire amount at the time of the order. Hope this helped!

What about the 48 hour policy on pre-order? Can I go tomorrow morning and buy a Switch someone didn't pick up within that 48 hour window? Or is that no longer a policy or policy for consoles?

What about the 48 hour policy on pre-order? Can I go tomorrow morning and buy a Switch someone didn't pick up within that 48 hour window? Or is that no longer a policy or policy for consoles?

In theory yes, you could. But I doubt that will happen. Every single switch within 100 miles of my store had every pre-order picked up. GameStop higher-ups were staying on our asses trying to make sure every store in their area was sold out by Sunday.

$350-$380. It will go back to retail within a week most likely. It's not worth your time selling.

Scalpers are not making that much money. It means supply is more available than they thought.

Good

Scalpers getting stuck would bring me much joy unfortunately most would probably just get their money back with zero loss, makes me wish for restocking fees.

There are costs on buying bulk things. It's considerably harder to buy and manage 10 switches than 1

Netherlands here. Was at a game store to get a year of PS Plus. There was a kid in front of me along with this grandpa. The kid asked about the Switch. Employee said the next shipment should come within weeks to a month, but that even then there was a waiting list. Poor kid, his grandpa seemed ready to buy a Switch for him :p

Unicorn

In theory yes, you could. But I doubt that will happen. Every single switch within 100 miles of my store had every pre-order picked up. GameStop higher-ups were staying on our asses trying to make sure every store in their area was sold out by Sunday.

Is there anyway for a consumer to check that or would I just need to call every store and ask about pre-order pickups that lapsed?

maruchan

what i read and heard nintendo will not be shipping new switch for at least a month, and then its going to be in very small quantities. I would bet nes classic quantities. IF i want to make money, wait a few weeks when their are no switches left anywhere and then sell...

tsumineko

Scaplers are idiots. After shipping, fees, etc, they are probably losing money. Especially when you consider time wasted on it. Great job guys.

Is there anyway for a consumer to check that or would I just need to call every store and ask about pre-order pickups that lapsed?

GameStop's website can check every store's inventory within 100 miles of a zip code. That would show off a store has any left that weren't picked up. However, if it's anything like my store, we have hundreds of people call and ask when preordered consoles would be available if they aren't picked up. I would assume there would be people waiting outside GameStops Sunday morning (I've had people do this for nes classics). We put a sign on our door that says ZERO SWITCHES IN STOCK on our front door hoping people don't waste their time waiting for something that can't by.

Jarnet87

not sure if this is just a Miami thing but I called 3-4 Toys R Us on Friday and Saturday and they all said they would not be selling the pro controllers until Sunday morning

spekkeh

Banned
Netherlands here. Was at a game store to get a year of PS Plus. There was a kid in front of me along with this grandpa. The kid asked about the Switch. Employee said the next shipment should come within weeks to a month, but that even then there was a waiting list. Poor kid, his grandpa seemed ready to buy a Switch for him :p
My pouch was delayed a week from the online store I preordered it, so I went to a brick and mortar this morning to buy in the store. The shelves were some Soviet Union level of emptied out. This thing is doing prettty well here in the Netherlands.

Completely sold out where I live. Could take a month to get one in a store.

Also couldn't find a copy of Breath of the Wild for WiiU today :-(

SexyFish

Banned
Heads up. Toys R Us, Target, and Best Buy should have stock at opening today. Multiple stores mentioned they'd have them to me and I'm currently at Target with a slip waiting for one. In East Tennessee but I'm pretty sure it's nationwide.

In Sweden, checking the pricerunner site there are 7 stores that has the console in stock. Both physical and online stores. Some of the more popular "gamer sites" are out of stock though.

Just showed up at Target an hour before they open. I'm the only one here. I haven't seen an employee yet to be able to ask if they're selling this morning.

robrueda

I'm in Colombia, South America. Most major retailers had them in stock and probably won't be sold out anytime soon because they sell it for USD 560. Most people getting one are individually importing them from the US.

Any word on Japanese restocks?
I want to my local mall and Ediaon was having preorders for Friday, the 11th it seems. So either try that or maybe test your luck on Tuesday to see if anyone cancel/forgot their preorders.

If you want it asap: you can also try the merukari app and try to talk to the sellers to lower their price. That's what I did.

Slickdeals x cheap ass gamer think any profit is good profit even if it's as tiny as $40 , I just don't get it tbh.
NES classic I understood since it cost $60 and people were selling it for as much as $300 , plus it was tiny

But this, lol nah.

Just showed up at Target an hour before they open. I'm the only one here. I haven't seen an employee yet to be able to ask if they're selling this morning.

I would have called last night to get numbers but you should be good, good luck friend

BriGuy

For some reason, I woke up early and headed out this morning. There was a line in front of Target of about 10 people, all who had tickets and said they had sold out already. Went to Best Buy instead. I'm second in a line of four. Worst case scenario I go home empty handed and have to wait a day for Amazon to make good on their delivery, but I was really hoping to send it back to them and take my business elsewhere.

Jacce

Banned
It's interesting how South America & Europe seems to have plenty of stock and low demand while in the US this thing is in massively high demand and sells out everywhere. Such different market reactions.

Luke_Wal

Went to Target at opening, but my girlfriend made me late... I get there, I'm the first one to not get a ticket. 😪

Symphonic

Heads up. Toys R Us, Target, and Best Buy should have stock at opening today. Multiple stores mentioned they'd have them to me and I'm currently at Target with a slip waiting for one. In East Tennessee but I'm pretty sure it's nationwide.

Nashville? I'm sitting here at one in West Nashville and no customer or employee is in sight.

Sergiepoo

Good luck! Probably about 8 people at mine just sitting in our cars with our slips. No idea how many they had.
No dice. My target only had 3 for the day, and those went to people who lined up. If I'd known they were still doing tickets post launch, I would have come much sooner.

Moved on to Best Buy which won't open for another 2 and a half hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom