• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Just got back from the TRU in Hickory, NC. They had 24 in stock, I was 21st in line, and managed to get the last neon! So many people wanted grey.

That's weird to me, Grey is gross. I really wish Nintendo put some red into the base system because otherwise it just looks so... bland.

Anyway, I was a dummy and instead of going to the store that opened first (which was Toys R Us, and they did have stock), I went to Best Buy instead because of the tip earlier in the thread but when I went up to the store an employee who was there said they didn't have any. I double checked when they opened up and there were indeed none. I also checked a Target and no luck there either.

Anyone in the Orlando area know anywhere else I should check or know a place that has one?

Anyone know if Best Buy should have some today? I'm here an hour and a half before opening, no one else is here. Not sure if I should stay...

The Best Buy near me had like 12 and I was the first to not get a ticket. I'm pissed, especially since this couple in front of me bought three Switches and the employees weren't willing to keep one of those for me, unlike with some other people's stories I've read in the past two days.

It is funny because I live in the deep DEEP countryside in France. And the only supermarket you may find here has some Switch. ;-)

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
The Best Buy near me had like 12 and I was the first to not get a ticket. I'm pissed, especially since this couple in front of me bought three Switches and the employees weren't willing to keep one of those for me, unlike with some other people's stories I've read in the past two days.

yeah shit like this should be 1 per customer people buying multiple when theres people in line is bullshit

Target near me got like 9 in this morning. Not much.

Those scalpels are terrible. Nintendo should have made more units to be honest. But that's just Nintendo. Are they increasing production of the system?

Those scalpels are terrible. Nintendo should have made more units to be honest. But that's just Nintendo. Are they increasing production of the system?
Honestly I think their supply is pretty close to what it should be. The lines I've seen haven't been massive. If people are turned away, it's only a few. Much better than the NES Classic situation.

MAX PAYMENT

So you can order bundles from gaemstop.

However, I don't want half the crap in the bundles.

Would it he possible to return parts of the bundle when it gets mailed to me?

I don't think Nintendo is doing a bad job with the Switch supply.

It should become readily available within 2 weeks if not before.

Rest well knowing scalpers most likely are getting burnt

I don't think Nintendo is doing a bad job with the Switch supply.

It should become readily available within 2 weeks if not before.

Rest well knowing scalpers most likely are getting burnt
If that's true that's good. Gamestop tried to get me to buy a bundle online through their store that included extra joycons, Zelda and bomberman.

I'd wait 2 weeks easily. I also think it'll be readily available through the summer and into October.

LordKano

On Amazon France Grey is out of stock until March 9th. Both Zelda bundles (grey/neon + games) are out of stock and likely won't ever come back in stock since even Zelda on standalone is out of stock (and it seems to be the case in most major retailers, in Belgium too). Looks like it's selling good.

What's strange is that even Bomberman R is out of stock. Bad reviews didn't have much impact on this one, it seems.

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01M6ZGICT/
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01MUAFFPA/
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01ND3XZUH/
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01MZAF5BB/
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01N388RBY/

MAX PAYMENT

If that's true that's good. Gamestop tried to get me to buy a bundle online through their store that included extra joycons, Zelda and bomberman.

I'd wait 2 weeks easily. I also think it'll be readily available through the summer and into October.
This is where I'm at. 2 weeks isn't bad.

kingslunk

I just went to bestbuy at 10:10 am. Waited in line for 50 minutes and got one this morning.

Pretty easy imo. Super lucky.

Brakke

Banned
Oh shit! Got third from the last at TRU! What a relief. store at 25 and there were 30 ahead of me, but a couple were groups.

xrnzaaas

Meanwhile in Poland... ;)

111fzsdm.jpg

(taken from Reddit)

This is where I'm at. 2 weeks isn't bad.

Going by the switch prices on ebay ($360-$370) it seems demand isn't as high. Supply seems to slowly be getting along with no huge lines in main retailers.

There will be a time, in the near future, where resupplies fulfill that demand and you will be able to find 1 or 2 laying around somewhere. Also, no holiday or big game is coming this month, so I don't expect a peak on demand.

Just keep watching.

btrboyev

It's not sold out. It can be found just about everywhere.

That doesn't mean it wasn't a successful launch, it just means, Nintendo did launch something correctly for once.

Kade

It seems about normal for a Nintendo launch but a local smaller store here that I bought my Switch at got 72 systems and they sold out. I imagine the bigger stores like EB Games, Wal-Mart and Best Buy got more but who knows. 72 sounds like it's significantly higher than what most stores normally get of Nintendo hardware.

Got one from the Target in Germantown, MD this morning. Got there an hour before opening and was the twelfth person there.
They had twelve exactly. By the time the store opened there were about 30 people in line. Some waited in the hopes of someones card getting declined.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Yeah they did the same to me. I said nope and said I'd wait. They told me they wouldn't count on getting a console anytime soon unless I was willing to buy a bundle. Heh.

Easier said than done otherwise we wouldnt have had console shortages with pretty much every console at launch barring the EU Ps3 launch in recent years from my experience.

I don't see stock being an issue for switch mind give it a couple of weeks, price and time of year will ensure that

Got one from the Target in Germantown, MD this morning. Got there an hour before opening and was the twelfth person there.
They had twelve exactly. By the time the store opened there were about 30 people in line. Some waited in the hopes of someones card getting declined.

Damn, I'm travelling to Gaithersburg this tuesday and hoped I could grab one. Perhaps I'll wait a week or so. In the meantime, Switch is basically unheard of here in Brazil. Went to a few stores this weekend and not even advertisements were up. Sadly Nintendo forgotten about us.

AniHawk

seems like it's either popular in the us and canada or poorly stocked there. europe doesn't really have that problem, which is consistent with nintendo for the last thirty years. seems that japan might be sold out too? didn't see any line pics.

Sergiepoo

Hit target this morning right when it opened but they were cleared out immediately by early birds who waited in line. Moved on to Best Buy which only had two (2!) in stock. Fortunately since I got there three hours before opening I was the first in the line.

I think it's true what some people are saying that the restock this morning are just left overs from launch that big stores kept for the Sunday ad. No clue if these stores are actually getting any new shipments.

LordKano

seems like it's either popular in the us and canada or poorly stocked there. europe doesn't really have that problem, which is consistent with nintendo for the last thirty years. seems that japan might be sold out too? didn't see any line pics.

I think it's more of a case of being very popular in the US and selling through the whole stock and doing just fine in Europe/Japan, with stocks being relatively not too hard to find.

renzolama

One thing I am finding particularly entertaining is how many posts I'm seeing on neogaf/reddit/etc from people claiming they "accidentally" got multiple systems and how much they sold them for. Surely there was no intentional effort to buy/resell because we all hate scalpers, but it's okay because it was just a freak occurrence. I think I've seen almost as many people admitting to buying multiple systems as I have seen people claiming that they can't find any in stock.

DESTROYA

That's weird to me, Grey is gross. I really wish Nintendo put some red into the base system because otherwise it just looks so... bland.

Anyway, I was a dummy and instead of going to the store that opened first (which was Toys R Us, and they did have stock), I went to Best Buy instead because of the tip earlier in the thread but when I went up to the store an employee who was there said they didn't have any. I double checked when they opened up and there were indeed none. I also checked a Target and no luck there either.

Anyone in the Orlando area know anywhere else I should check or know a place that has one?
That's funny because most people I know want the Grey model because they think it looks better, the two different colors on the neon model make it look off.
Anyway my local targets have limited stock in both models so they are going fast.

Future

Even that overpriced heavily marked up damn pro controller is hard to find. I saw it on amazon yesterday and I hesitated. After a long session with Zelda yesterday I was convinced I needed one of those things. Now they are sold out unless I want to buy from scalpers for $100. Searched Best Buy and a few other places and all sold out

Shiggy

With only 2 mio in its launch month, supply is obviously more limited than with Wii and Wii U.

BFIB

My Toys R Us had 25 or so available, looks like they held stock through the week. Might want to hit one up if you have one close. My friend just left there, walked right in and got one. This is in St. Louis.

SenkiDala

Here is what I saw in a hypermarket in France the 3rd of March, it was around 11am, the shop was open since 3 hours.

The stocks seem ok. But some other shops were sold out, for exemple the one where I bought mine, and videogames shop.

I live in a "middle sized" city btw, around 70 000habs.

boiled goose

good with gravy

Given their set production capacity, they have been making and stocking as many units for launch as possible .

Increasing production is costly and unnecessary. Look at supply in Europe, there is no need to increase production. Supply and demand will match up soon in the US too. If they are expecting to be sold out through holidays (like) wii, they should, but that scenario is unlikely i think.

Unicorn

went gamestop hunting and some stores admitted to selling at 6 pm last night. Most stores had all pre-orders picked up.

A few stores around have stock, but I need gamestop to do a 3DS trade in :(

It's not sold out. It can be found just about everywhere.

That doesn't mean it wasn't a successful launch, it just means, Nintendo did launch something correctly for once.
I don't know how you got this impression. No online retailers have them, and I live in a major metro area where there are none to be found in brick and mortar stores.

sjboi

There are no Switches anywhere in Philly or the south Jersey suburbs. Zelda got me hyped out of nowhere this weekend and I wanted to make an impulse buy, but looks like I have to wait.

MAX PAYMENT

Going by the switch prices on ebay ($360-$370) it seems demand isn't as high. Supply seems to slowly be getting along with no huge lines in main retailers.

There will be a time, in the near future, where resupplies fulfill that demand and you will be able to find 1 or 2 laying around somewhere. Also, no holiday or big game is coming this month, so I don't expect a peak on demand.

Just keep watching.

I'm just stuck with gamestop because I have around 240 in store credit.

I'm tempted to just order the bundle from gamestop to just be done with it. But only if I can return bomberman and the extra joycons.

Persona7

Banned
I'm just stuck with gamestop because I have around 240 in store credit.

I'm tempted to just order the bundle from gamestop to just be done with it. But only if I can return bomberman and the extra joycons.

It's sold as a package so you can't return select items. It's all or nothing.

My local supermarkets all have them in stock just sitting there, regular PA announcements as well about selling them, Zelda was sold out though.

This was in Scotland.

Unicorn

Could just return them to Walmart. They don't require a receipt. It'll turn into store credit though, but it's more versatile there than a gamestop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom