• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spock

What the heck is up with Amazon? Most of the big Switch games are listed at 'Currently Unavailable' for preorder. I wanted to preorder ARMS and Splatoon 2. Yo-Kai Watch 2 Psychic Spectres is the same. Are they fighting with Nintendo again?

I just placed a preorder with Best Buy instead. They had everything.

But it only seems to be a problem for Nintendo. Sony and MS didn't have this kind problems meeting demand.

Weird, I pre-ordered both arms and splatoon 2 the other day on amazon. I got a delivery change update for splatoon 2 just yesterday,

Dragnet

What's the best way to get notified of inbound stock in the UK? With payday imminent and what feels like a shipment coming in soon I want to be ready!

TS-08

anyone have luck with Best Buy today or seen one in the wild at one of their stores?

Best Buy has already advertised having stock on Friday. So unless a store still has some left over from a previous shipment or just goes rogue, I wouldn't expect to find any until then.

rog3r

Neo Member
What's the best way to get notified of inbound stock in the UK? With payday imminent and what feels like a shipment coming in soon I want to be ready!

Hey mate, Nintendo.co.uk has an estimated shipping date of 28th April for both variants

Might be your easiest bet - just order and sit back and wait for delivery :)

Sorry if this has been posted here recently

Dragnet

Hey mate, Nintendo.co.uk has an estimated shipping date of 28th April for both variants

Might be your easiest bet - just order and sit back and wait for delivery :)

Sorry if this has been posted here recently

No that's awesome, thanks for the tip!

hyp

Best Buy has already advertised having stock on Friday. So unless a store still has some left over from a previous shipment or just goes rogue, I wouldn't expect to find any until then.

darn for some reason i thought it was a monday shipment.

nick_b

My GameStop got some in this morning. Gray version. I checked istocknow when I woke up and it showed GameStop got some in so I called to check. 30 minutes later I walked out with a Switch, Zelda, and a case.

Happy hunting to the rest of you.

What are the chances of Amazon restocking by the end of the week? Their last restock was March 30, so I was thinking it's fairly likely, but if it does happen, it'll probably go faster than ever because of Mario Kart.

Metroxed

Okay, the Switch is unavailable in all of Spain's major electronic retailers, at least on their online stores (MediaMarkt, El Corte Inglés, fnac, Amazon), something I had never seen happening. I don't know if the physical stores have them, last time I was at a GAME store they had them, same for MediaMarkt.

LegendX48

So best buy and target are set to get some in stock on Friday for Mario Kart? Any ideas if they'd be in stock online as well or just strictly in store? I got work that morning

Picked up a gray model for my bother today at Target in Carson, CA. First time I've seen one in the wild. I thought it was an empty display box at first.

It was the last one. Ask the guy if they had any neon and he said he hadn't seen one in the store since launch day.

lol1ps28.png

This is how it looks this morning for Gray NSW. And because they want to be funny, my Gamestop is still red.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Still no restock where I live. Nothing on istocknow, and I check the stores I go to every time I'm out. Wife been checking too.

Neither of us have seen a single switch in the wild yet. :/

But it only seems to be a problem for Nintendo. Sony and MS didn't have this kind problems meeting demand.
Historically, sure they have. Most recently, early Xbox One shipments seem to have been similar to early Switch shipments, but possibly without as much unmet demand. Sony took a gamble (which mostly paid off) on producing a shitton of PS4s for launch and not launching simultaneously worldwide.

I live in Sarasota, FL and I still haven't seen any in the wild yet. Hell, I only have a single GS nearby and the closes BB is ~20-30 mins away. There's a bittersweet irony in finally landing the job you wanted after grad school but the only major purchase you've been looking forward to is never in stock.

Hell, I might as well wait for the inevitable LoZ variant to come out like I did with the Wii U.

Greenymac

Guys, check your local Target... I just nabbed one out of a fresh shipment that arrived today. Had already preordered mk8D hoping I could find one.

I'm gonna be checking Gamestops for this thing. I just found out you can trade in the Wii U for $200 credit... super worth it to me considering I want it primarily to play Wii U games on the go, haha. I can't imagine using the Wii U for anything but Zelda anymore. I'll totally bite if I can find one, everywhere is just sold out tho haha

Honestly the stock situation doesnt seem anywhere near as bad as the wii, this seems ps4 level, its probably gonna be tough to find for the first 3 or 4 months but it should even out soon.
This is during March-April though, while PS4 was during the holiday season. At this rate I wouldn't be completely surprised if Switch was hard to find up until 2018. Each new shipment is still being cleaned out 2 months after launch.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This is during March-April though, while PS4 was during the holiday season. At this rate I wouldn't be completely surprised if Switch was hard to find up until 2018. Each new shipment is still being cleaned out 2 months after launch.

If they can't catch up so to speak during the Summer slow months then I'd agree. That means they still behind getting units out going into the fall season and holiday bonanza.

July should be telling.

gosox333

Found one at a Target. When l got there they had 2 grey ones on display. The dude who helped me said the neons they had gotten yesterday sold out in minutes. I didn't realize those were so much more sought after, I'm just happy to have found one lol.

Istock was useful, I'd noticed this target had recently popped up on their map and it worked out.

My local GameStop has some in stock and I'm thinking about jumping on a Switch. Here's my problem though- I have $150 in credit and I'm thinking about trading my PS4 towards the Switch to cover the difference since I can get $200 for it. That may sound crazy to a lot of you, but I still have my XB1 and I'm planning on trading it towards the Scorpio.

The thing holding me back is PS exclusive FromSoft games. I really, really would not want to miss out on these. Especially if something like Bloodborne 2 is announced. That said, no games have yet been announced, obviously. You guys think i should hold onto the PS4 in anticipation of new FromSoft games or go ahead and get a Switch? Those are really the only exclusives I'm interested in on PS4.

My local GameStop has some in stock and I'm thinking about jumping on a Switch. Here's my problem though- I have $150 in credit and I'm thinking about trading my PS4 towards the Switch to cover the difference since I can get $200 for it. That may sound crazy to a lot of you, but I still have my XB1 and I'm planning on trading it towards the Scorpio.

The thing holding me back is PS exclusive FromSoft games. I really, really would not want to miss out on these. Especially if something like Bloodborne 2 is announced. That said, no games have yet been announced, obviously. You guys think i should hold onto the PS4 in anticipation of new FromSoft games or go ahead and get a Switch? Those are really the only exclusives I'm interested in on PS4.

Why not trade the XB1 in towards the Switch, and then worry about the Scorpio when the time comes? I think you can reasonably assume that something of interest is going to come down the pipeline for Ps4 at some point.

Why not trade the XB1 in towards the Switch, and then worry about the Scorpio when the time comes? I think you can reasonably assume that something of interest is going to come down the pipeline for Ps4 at some point.

Haha I would do that, but I'm about a third of the way into my Dark Souls 2 run and don't want to lose my progress. It's been my obsession lately. I'm also a big fan of EA Access/ having all the sports games. Another point that has me considering trading the PS4 is I somewhat recently got a 4K tv and am tempted to get the Pro whenever a hardware revision or price drop arrives.

I also feel a bit attached to my Xbox since I managed to get the gamertag Pizza, and it's my 4K bluray player.

Been wanting to buy a Switch since the start of the month for my birthday (which is today!) but they are not available at the Targets, Bestbuys and Walmarts around me. However it seems all the gamestops around me have plenty of stock. I refuse to give them any business though, as I've had terrible customer service experience with them in the past. Fuck them. Seems the wait will continue until there is more stock available.

No luck finding one for the past few weeks. I had more luck on launch day than I do now which is puzzling to me.

But it's really not and I don't know why people don't understand this with launches.

Stores will have the most amount of stock on launch day. I could have bought multiple Switch consoles at launch around my town, which is a huge suburb of Chicago that gets a lot of traffic since it's off a major highway. You could have snatched one day one if you were smart about getting out on Friday when it released.

Now that hype has built up and the consoles are slowing trickling out in these weeks after launch, the numbers are smaller in terms of consoles but the interests is increasing, especially with the heavy hitters, like Mario Kart launching. It's only going to get worse as we get into the holiday season unless Nintendo can significantly ramp up production.

Haha I would do that, but I'm about a third of the way into my Dark Souls 2 run and don't want to lose my progress. It's been my obsession lately. I'm also a big fan of EA Access/ having all the sports games. Another point that has me considering trading the PS4 is I somewhat recently got a 4K tv and am tempted to get the Pro whenever a hardware revision or price drop arrives.

I also feel a bit attached to my Xbox since I managed to get the gamertag Pizza, and it's my 4K bluray player.

Oh ok, you didn't indicate the finer details before but in that case, sounds like your wallet's going to be begging for mercy regardless :)

Oh ok, you didn't indicate the finer details before but in that case, sounds like your wallet's going to be begging for mercy regardless :)

I know, it sucks. First world problems.

I guess what I'm wondering is how soon should we expect new games from FromSoft that are exclusive to PS4?

Salex_

iStockNow is pretty accurate for me. It's popping up around GameStop's near me now but you can only buy it with those shitty bundles (the 2 stores I called only mentioned the $500 bundle.....).

Guess I'm not getting a Switch before MK8 Deluxe comes out.

The one I called was selling them individually.

I just happened to be near the wrong GameStops lol. This is so annoying.

iStockNow is pretty accurate for me. It's popping up around GameStop's near me now but you still have to buy with those shitty bundles (the 2 stores I called only mentioned the $500 bundle.....).

Guess I'm not getting a Switch before MK8 Deluxe comes out.

The one I called was selling them individually.

Honestly, I'd say do the trade now rather than wait. I say this as someone who bought a PS3 under the assumption that I'd play FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3... That trade in value will certainly continue to drop, as will the price of picking up a new console down the line.

I generally go by the rule of trade in consoles for X amount, and then not re-buying them for a penny more than that trade value.

Honestly, I'd say do the trade now rather than wait. I say this as someone who bought a PS3 under the assumption that I'd play FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3... That trade in value will certainly continue to drop, as will the price of picking up a new console down the line.

I generally go by the rule of trade in consoles for X amount, and then not re-buying them for a penny more than that trade value.

Yeah, I mean I essentially would be getting what I paid. Bought it for $230 with UC4 and got to play all the exclusives I care about. I'm just really gonna be pissed if Bloodborne 2 drops this year or something.

I know, it sucks. First world problems.

I guess what I'm wondering is how soon should we expect new games from FromSoft that are exclusive to PS4?

Don't know, but personally I wouldn't make any moves with the Ps4 until at least E3. Then again, you say you want the Pro anyways so the longer you wait, the resale/trade value is only going to go lower. By the time a From-soft game conceivably comes out, the Pro may get a price drop.

Don't know, but personally I wouldn't make any moves with the Ps4 until at least E3. Then again, you say you want the Pro anyways so the longer you wait, the resale/trade value is only going to go lower. By the time a From-soft game conceivably comes out, the Pro may get a price drop.

Yeah, I'm thinking it will get a nice drop by the holidays to combat the Switch and Scorpio.

Yeah, I'm thinking it will get a nice drop by the holidays to combat the Switch and Scorpio.

To be honest, the Ps4 brand is in such a dominating position that I don't think the Pro 'needs' to drop price except to take the sting completely out of the Scorpio( pun partially intended). As for Switch, the Pro isn't positioned to be competing against the Switch. If anything, the Ps4 slim will be the system they use to undercut Switch this holidays. I fully expect it to be $199, while I can see the Pro being $349 bundled with something( expect some Horizon and Battlefront II bundles).

Boylamite

I feel bad for folks who are clamoring to get a switch but can't find one, but honestly, by the time you can there'll be a few more major releases out for it and your purchase will be that much better. After beating breath of the wild I haven't really played it much.
I'm also apparently super lucky. I just happened to walk into my local game store on a lunch break in mid March. I jokingly asked the clerk if they had any pre orders available and to my surprise he said they had .ore allocated that morning. Paid in full for the system, pro controller and BoTW on the spot. I was still half expecting to go pick it up and be told they ran out of stock.

ghibli99

^ Well, your mindset is different now because you already have one, so a little sympathy. :) Many people want one specifically to play Zelda (and MK8D in a few days, PPT, etc.).

My wife found one for me at a local Target (Westfield Topanga in Canoga Park, CA) about 2 hours ago. Said they had both gray and neon ones left. She could hardly believe it. Picked one up along with a Pro Controller. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom