• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

PS2 was a nightmare to find for a while. So was the Xbox 360. PS4 was constrained for a bit, but not as bad as the PS2 or 360. PS3 and XB1 didn't have issues because their launch prices were so crazy.

The PS2 was a nightmare to find in America for a few months when it released and the Xbox 360 was impossible to find for at least 4 months on release.

When the Wii was released it reminded me of how hard it was to find the 360 but the difference was the 360 supply finally caught up to demand. Wii was damn near impossible for a year to find.

I do not believe the Switch being hard to find is some crazy plan by Nintendo. Honestly they have supply issues that are really bad and they probably took a conservative estimate before release because of what happened with the WiiU.

I found a neon unit (they had Grey, too) at the Military Exchange website last week. Thanks for your service, pops!

FedEx is finally getting off its butt to deliver it tomorrow - been sitting in town since Sunday.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Istocknow got me today. Showed GameStop got some today at a couple around me.

Went to the one near me after work. They sold out by 2. Dude working knows me though. Said I got you. They can't hold it for you, but I can call and ask. So he called two places. He was like this store has 1 left and the other 2. Got to the 2 as he said they told him they'd been slow.

Went straight there and boom got it!

20170425_165745c7sez.jpg

Went to the one near me after work. They sold out by 2. Dude working knows me though. Said I got you. They can't hold it for you, but I can call and ask. So he called two places. He was like this store has 1 left and the other 2. Got to the 2 as he said they told him they'd been slow.

Exact same scenario here except I haven't gotten mine yet.... You live in MS by chance?

Welcome to the club. Now go put 100 hours into BoTW.

Damn, that guy hooked you up!

Enjoy and welcome to the club!

andthebeatgoeson

The Xbox 360 was sold out for five or six months. Does no one remember anything?

The XB1 wasn't because it was five hundred fucking dollars.
I truly think there are a ton of lapsed Nintendo fans. When Nintendo hits a big deal, they come out the woodwork.

Like, I'm kinda baffled at the hate over the NES classic. Yeah, i see the form factor but after VC missteps, i was certain no one wanted a 60 dollar VC box that can't be updated. That form factor and i can download or add more games to it and shit, i would excited. But a ton of people want it, casuals and gamers alike.

I absolutely regret selling my Switch...dumb dumb dumb. I got to target on launch day ten minutes before they opened and was like 8th in line of 25. I feel like if I wanted to get one now, it'd be much more difficult.

Argh!

I absolutely regret selling my Switch...dumb dumb dumb. I got to target on launch day ten minutes before they opened and was like 8th in line of 25. I feel like if I wanted to get one now, it'd be much more difficult.

Argh!

Why did you?

Rule of thumb never ever ever sell consoles unless you absolutely need the cash or the trade is worth it. The later is hardly ever true.

Why did you?

Rule of thumb never ever ever sell consoles unless you absolutely need the cash or the trade is worth it. The later is hardly ever true.
Guilt! I felt like I didn't NEED it and didn't want the balance on my credit card. Thinking about it now though and I should've just kept it.

ionitron

I saw a black switch in Walmart, just sitting there by its lone self. The only thing I really want for it that's been announced so far is Odyssey and I already own Zelda, so I really hope I don't regret this decision as it gets closer to November because there's no way I could justify the drop in cash now. I really hope I encounter a good deal along the way.

RoadDogg

Any ideas if neon joy cons will be restocked when mario kart launches? I need a second set finally and rather get some colors, epsecially with how much they cost.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I saw a black switch in Walmart, just sitting there by its lone self. The only thing I really want for it that's been announced so far is Odyssey and I already own Zelda, so I really hope I don't regret this decision as it gets closer to November because there's no way I could justify the drop in cash now. I really hope I encounter a good deal along the way.

If you found a black Switch you should have bought it because it was a dev kit ;)

PSFan

The PS2 was a nightmare to find in America for a few months when it released and the Xbox 360 was impossible to find for at least 4 months on release.

When the Wii was released it reminded me of how hard it was to find the 360 but the difference was the 360 supply finally caught up to demand. Wii was damn near impossible for a year to find.

I do not believe the Switch being hard to find is some crazy plan by Nintendo. Honestly they have supply issues that are really bad and they probably took a conservative estimate before release because of what happened with the WiiU.

Yeah the PS2 was hard to find. But Sony seemed to learn from that and the PS3 and PS4 weren't nearly as bad.

Nintendo can't seem to learn anything and the same old excuses keep being thrown around, Old, conservative company, don't want to take a risk, blah blah blah. Many people are fond of saying how long they've been in business, but they always pull the same old stock shenanigans with all their products.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Any ideas if neon joy cons will be restocked when mario kart launches? I need a second set finally and rather get some colors, epsecially with how much they cost.

It's pretty​ much entirely random, and people seem to prefer the neon so good luck.

Went into to Target randomly for toothpaste and deodorant and left with a switch and breath of the wild...life's crazy sometimes you guys :D

The one I went to in Fontana, CA had like 6

Oozer3993

After hearing from here and CAG that Gamestops had gotten some more yesterday, I decided to call up the one closest to work and ask if they had any. Nada. My coworker, who was also in the market for a Switch, decided to call up some more and hit paydirt on his first call. We hopped in his car and drove over and nabbed the last two. Now I have to wait for Zelda to get here (I grabbed it from an eBay seller for a song). I'm really glad I stuck my old PS4 in the car before work today. Traded it in for the Switch.

Yeah the PS2 was hard to find. But Sony seemed to learn from that and the PS3 and PS4 weren't nearly as bad.

Nintendo can't seem to learn anything and the same old excuses keep being thrown around, Old, conservative company, don't want to take a risk, blah blah blah. Many people are fond of saying how long they've been in business, but they always pull the same old stock shenanigans with all their products.

There have been constant restocks every week. Like, literally Target has Switches every week, and Gamestop every other week. Toys R Us also seem to get them every ten days and the same with Walmart and Best Buy. I won't be surprised if they shipped close to 900k again in April.

Ended up trading my PS4 for the Switch. I've beat all the exclusives that interest me and I was kind of considering a Pro anyway. I've got a XB1 and will get the Scorpio this fall, and will probably snatch a cheaper PS4 or Pro whenever From eventually releases its next exclusive.

I bought the PS4 for $230 with UC4 and just traded it for $200 so I don't think it was a poor decision. Time for some Zelda nostalgia.

Ended up trading my PS4 for the Switch. I've beat all the exclusives that interest me and I was kind of considering a Pro anyway. I've got a XB1 and will get the Scorpio this fall, and will probably snatch a cheaper PS4 or Pro whenever From eventually releases its next exclusive.

I bought the PS4 for $230 with UC4 and just traded it for $200 so I don't think it was a poor decision. Time for some Zelda nostalgia.
That's actually a pretty good deal.

I can't believe you sold your Playst......wait that's actually a pretty good deal.

PSFan

There have been constant restocks every week. Like, literally Target has Switches every week, and Gamestop every other week. Toys R Us also seem to get them every ten days and the same with Walmart and Best Buy. I won't be surprised if they shipped close to 900k again in April.

From what I've been seeing, the "restocks" seem to be like 3 Switches a week at these stores. And you still have to fight scalpers to get one.

woodland

I got one! Traded in my Wii U and games for some credit ($190 for Wii U, guy was nice enough to give me +20% on games despite not being the actual promotion or a pro member). Turns out mine was 2nd to last at the Gamestop.

Only had bundles though :( but thinking back they're not that bad. 3 accessories and I think they charge based on the accessory not bundle pricing. So could just get like a case, controller dongle things, and a game. Keep it under $100 in extras. GL Gaffers

This is nonsense. The PS4 had massive supply problems especially in Europe despite not even launching worldwide and unlike Nintendo they weren't following up a total flop in the wii U so they didn't need to be cautious.

The PS3 is an awful example. It sold like shit to start with because of the whole $599 fiasco. The switch also wouldn't have stock problems if launched to awful sales like that.

You're looking at the situation through a totally warped and biased perspective.

Maxinas

Actually the Wii u is the one console I'd never sell. It will become something cherished like the Dreamcast.

Touche. Unless there is no game on the ps4 already released, or bound to release that you'd want to play, then don't trade it in.

That iStockNow website really works.

I wasn't planning on getting a Switch for awhile, but thanks to everyone else talking about this site, I looked it up and 10 minutes later I was walking out of a Gamestop with a grey Switch, pro controller, Zelda and the blue Zelda case.

Going to pick up MK8 on friday as well.

Keeping my Wii U, too much to play on it plus I don't have a Wii, so...even more to play.

EDIT: I have 40 hours on Zelda Wii U, gonna be rough starting all over on Switch, kinda want to keep playing on Wii U if it wasn't for the awful framerates.

evil ways

Just wait a few months and save up money, never sell your consoles.
Unless it's a Wii U or something

My Zelda Wind Waker Wii U basically paid for the Switch. Managed to sell it for $328 after ebay and paypal fees. Now waiting for FedEx to deliver it.

From what I've been seeing, the "restocks" seem to be like 3 Switches a week at these stores. And you still have to fight scalpers to get one.

Nope, the restocks have been in the tens to fiteen at Target and similar at other stores. Even Gamestop is getting at least 6+ per store this week.

AGITΩ

I haven't seen anyone recently who has posted that they got the neon switch. Is that a normal color or was it a limited edition sort of thing?
It is more limited than the grey ones. If youre in the states, i know most best buys are getting greys and neons [might already have them] just holding them for the mario kart release.

hyp

for anyone based in Hawaii (Oahu) Gamestop all across the island got Nintendo Switches in stock. finally got mine today.

Kinokou

My credit card is running a really good cashback deal today so I decided to order a Switch, ETA is the end of May. But I find it worth it for the savings and then I'm 99% sure I have it before Spaltoon is out, since who knows when they will have a deal with another store that has gaming products. Zelda I can enjoy at my own pace in time, but I do not want to miss out on any Splatfest stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom