• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Got mine today at Valley View GameStop in Roanoke, Virginia---had about five left I think if you're in the area.

I don't want to start a new thread, but I'm having difficult with my Switch---when I plug the Joycons in the little controller dock-thing, they keep disconnecting on and off. Not just the left, but both of them.

It's annoying and I'm not sure why.

Renna Hazel

Got mine today at Valley View GameStop in Roanoke, Virginia---had about five left I think if you're in the area.

I don't want to start a new thread, but I'm having difficult with my Switch---when I plug the Joycons in the little controller dock-thing, they keep disconnecting on and off. Not just the left, but both of them.

It's annoying and I'm not sure why.

Did you have time to charge up the joycons? They might have came with a low charge. The grip doesn't charge them.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah I think that might be it, though it looked like they were charged.

Really hope mine aren't messed up. Is there a step you need to take to synch them that I'm missing? Could it be because I have my modem in the same room and that's interfering? But my PS4 controller doesn't have that issue...

Renna Hazel

Really hope mine aren't messed up. Is there a step you need to take to synch them that I'm missing? Could it be because I have my modem in the same room and that's interfering? But my PS4 controller doesn't have that issue...

They should sync once you connected them to the Switch and turned it on. Check the battery level in the menu by clicking on the joycon icon at the bottom.

Watch Da Birdie

It was showing half a charge, but maybe that's because I just started using them and that's not the actual charge---

I'll let it charge an hour or so and see what happens. Gonna test my Pro Controller too.

There's a Pair New Controller option under Controllers on the Home menu but I don't remember if you needed to do that with the included set.

It usually asks you to press L and R on the controller(s) you're using when you wake it up. But you can always re-sync by going to the controller icon on the Home menu and choosing Change Grip / Order.

ReaperXL7

Finally got one, istock hasn't updated for some reason but a few of my local gamestops got them in today. You have to pick up 4 things with it so I got Mario Kart Disgaea 5 a pair of Driving wheels and a screen protector.

They were out of stock on Zelda so I'll get that and Splatoon on Friday hopefully. I'm kind of hoping that Nintendo is working on Mario Tennis or Mario Strikers, I think my kids would like the Mario Sports games.

Watch Da Birdie

Played Bomberman first, I LOVED Hero as a kid but I've never really been into the traditional ones---I kind of suck at it, but continuing doesn't seem too painful.

Presentation with the cutscenes is better than I imagined, very cute.

Malo

Banned
My Switch bundle from gamestop came in today, which is a lot sooner than expected. The original delivery estimate was from 7/31 - 8/7.

Neonep

I don't know about all this Sunday shit at Bestbuy but from experience go the day major titles come out. I went the day MK8D came out and saw some at stores and I got mine the day after ARMS came out. I say go in the morning on Sunday and see whats up, if not go the morning Splatoon 2 comes out.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
After searching for about 3 weeks we managed to snag the last grey switch at a local Walmart. Grabbed Zelda with it, since they only had 3 other games, being Lego City, Arms, and 1-2 Switch. I think I'll get most of my games digitally so I don't have to cart'em around. Any rec's for the biggest SD card the switch can hold?

Maxinas

After searching for about 3 weeks we managed to snag the last grey switch at a local Walmart. Grabbed Zelda with it, since they only had 3 other games, being Lego City, Arms, and 1-2 Switch. I think I'll get most of my games digitally so I don't have to cart'em around. Any rec's for the biggest SD card the switch can hold?

128gb is still the most economical option atm: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010Q57S62/ref=sxts_sxwds-tsp_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3007296062&pd_rd_wg=Keyk0&pf_rd_r=HZ9F0NNJVKG53MWGFE54&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B010Q57S62&pd_rd_w=ybz5M&pf_rd_i=micro+sd+card&pd_rd_r=NK787ECQ0KC3B12QQW31&ie=UTF8&qid=1500433509&sr=3

Read and Write speeds don't matter much, they are in fact negligible.

Edit: The prices of these sd cards fluctuate quite often, so you can bet they will be cheaper/on sale sometime soon. Though if prices don't matter to you much, then you're all good.

Here in Potsdam - Germany there were about 20 in stock in media markt, and 10 in saturn. Normal price €329 each. Bought 3 switches, one for me and two for my children. With zelda, Mario kart and waiting for splatoon 2.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah it seems the sync issue was just due to low battery levels thankfully.

Played ARMs a bit, despite it being my first time playing the motion controls with the fist-style felt natural. But it also kind of wore me out after a few matches, glad that Grand Prix has a save option. Most people probably go with the Pro Controller when playing online though, right?

Also played a bit of Puyo Puyo Tetris, I can see myself being addicted to this but, yo, I SUCK at Tetris. I've never really played it before to be honest and it really bugs me how bad I am at it, but I guess there's room for improvement. Puyo Puyo on the other hand is a bit easier for me and I'm better at combo-ing in it, but by no means an expert or even "good" player.

I'm enjoying my purchase but I'd be lying if I said I'd love to have a more solid single-player experience to really dig into---Splatoon 2 might kind of deliver on that, but I'm eagerly awaiting Odyssey, Xenoblade, and such. Very tempted to go for Disgaea 5 but I don't need to spend any more money right now, hopefully it'll pop up in a clearance bin one day.

Puerto Rico is still getting fucked over with the Switches. istocknow doesn't seem to work either, got a notification and when I went to my local walmart they said no consoles came in today. Looks like it's time to randomly wander for one again.

RBH

Thanks to istocknow, I saw that there were a few Neon Switches that became available today at various Walmarts in the Chicago area. Each store only seemed to get 1-2 Neon units, no grey units.

I managed to get a Neon unit, and the Walmart employee was telling me how I was lucky to get one since apparently, one guy had been regularly coming into this particular Walmart for months now and buying up all of the Switches for himself every single time they had become available at this particular store. :/

I had gotten a grey Switch a few weeks ago that was still unopened due to work obligations, so I'm going to either return/sell that one and grab some grey joy-cons.

Bahorel

Thanks to istocknow, I saw that there were a few Neon Switches that became available today at various Walmarts in the Chicago area. Each store only seemed to get 1-2 Neon units, no grey units.

I managed to get a Neon unit, and the Walmart employee was telling me how I was lucky to get one since apparently, one guy had been regularly coming into this particular Walmart for months now and buying up all of the Switches for himself every single time they had become available at this particular store. :/

I had gotten a grey Switch a few weeks ago that was still unopened due to work obligations, so I'm going to either return/sell that one and grab some grey joy-cons.

This is why stores have the 1 per person limit. Walmart get on that

Amory

seems like itd be easy enough to get my hands on a switch if I just ordered a bundle from gamestop. actually a pretty good option since I'd probably buy most of that stuff anyway

but yeah I've never seen a standalone switch console in any store, nor does anyone I know have one. it's reminiscent of the NES Mini, apparently a ton of people have these things and I've never seen one lol

MikeyB

I tell you what - I was at the Golden Electronics Market in Sham Shui Po, Hong Kong, and the place is stacked to the rafters with Switches and accessories. Fluorescent remotes, red and blue, whatever. Splatoon 2 was on the shelves too.

Also, boxed new PS Vita 2000s for less than $200 CAD.

Duxxy3

seems like itd be easy enough to get my hands on a switch if I just ordered a bundle from gamestop. actually a pretty good option since I'd probably buy most of that stuff anyway

but yeah I've never seen a standalone switch console in any store, nor does anyone I know have one. it's reminiscent of the NES Mini, apparently a ton of people have these things and I've never seen one lol

I bought a bundle with Zelda, season pass and another power adapter (that included a usb-C cable). I've used every part of the bundle. I keep the usb-c cable in my case so I can charge the switch wherever I go. I don't like forced bundles, but if you're going to use everything anyhow... eh, why not.

Bit concerned my Amazon UK Splatoon 2 bundle hasn't dispatched yet and is showing unavailable now on the store. Hnnngh. It's my birthday present to myself and I live rural online is my only option.

RBH

Switch re-stock at Best Buy, Target, and Gamestop tomorrow, will be interested to see how many units stores will get:

DE9XZDzWsAAgasr.jpg:small

DE-XZSOUwAAG5_g.jpg:small

grimmiq

Finally gave in, skipped the Wii-U so hoping there'll be a proper virtual console eventually. Picked up a Switch and LoZ, fucked up putting my tempered glass screen protector on, going to pick up another one tomorrow (it wasn't positioned right 1st time, as I lifted it to reposition, dust got underneath and stuck to the adhesive side)..I'm in the middle of a renovation so dust is a bit of a problem, going to find somewhere cleaner to try again.

What's the deal with all the gray consoles? My Gamestop, Target, and Walmart all had switches in stock earlier this week but they were all gray, no neons. I'd be curious to know if Nintendo is making equal numbers of each color.

Koppai

Don't get your hopes up for the Splatoon amiibo at best buy they sent only for preorders. Luckily i wad able to order them at other locations.

Maengun1

I saw 3 grey joycon switches sitting on the shelf at my local Wal-Mart today in Michigan. Notable just because it's the first time I've ever seen one in a store, period.

It seems the Splatoon 2 push is real

Gave in and bought the grey switch. Probably going to sell the grey ones for like 50 or 40 and buy the neon ones

This is what I did! Be aware, I had to send my neon's in for the disconnect issue and they have a different warranty than the ones that come with the system (3 months vs. 1 year).

dc89

Argos in the UK seem to get stock every few days in stores around me now. Sure they go quick but I've had 3/4 opportunities to buy one in the past 10 days or so.
Maybe stock is improving in the UK.

Chopper

Bit concerned my Amazon UK Splatoon 2 bundle hasn't dispatched yet and is showing unavailable now on the store. Hnnngh. It's my birthday present to myself and I live rural online is my only option.
Snap.

Although mine is out for delivery.
Sorry.

Hope it arrives soon man.

I'm sitting out here in front of Best Buy waiting to get my 3rd Switch and there is only two of us. And it's getting hot.

I've made a huge mistake.

I'm sitting out here in front of Best Buy waiting to get a Switch and there is only two of us. And it's getting hot.

I've made a huge mistake.

Make sure you go to the right cashier.

I lost out on my first venture because I stormed to the cashier at the video game & electronics section before he redirected me to the customer service register where the Switch units were being held. There was a line already there from all the people who had waited behind me outside of the building.

Make sure you go to the right cashier.

I lost out on my first venture because I stormed to the cashier at the video game & electronics section before he redirected me to the customer service register where the Switch units were being held. There was a line already there from all the people who had waited behind me outside of the building.

Man, that's rough. Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom