• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galang

Banned
Just got mine on Canadian Amazon prime a few minutes ago. Not sure how the situation has been in Canada overall, but I personally was having no luck finding one

Jrmint

Picked up one in Pittsburgh, PA this weekend with Best Buy in store pickup. I still have yet to see one sitting on shelves.

Really happy with it so far.

There's worldwide shortages, the bizarre thing is the apparent overstock in the Netherlands.

You mean Europe, because the Switch is readily available at most retailers in the UK, Germany and the Netherlands at the very least. Seems to be a similar situation in the rest of Europe but I guess we'd need confirmation. Demand for the system just isn't as high as it was anymore, so I'm assuming that initial launch hype has well and truly died out.

In the US and Japan the launch hype hasn't even been satiated yet though, so I can see why there's still issues there.

ramparter

Banned
You mean Europe, because the Switch is readily available at most retailers in the UK, Germany and the Netherlands at the very least. Seems to be a similar situation in the rest of Europe but I guess we'd need confirmation. Demand for the system just isn't as high as it was anymore, so I'm assuming that initial launch hype has well and truly died out.

In the US and Japan the launch hype hasn't even been satiated yet though, so I can see why there's still issues there.
I can confirm I can buy any of the three bundles in several stores in Greece.

PantsuJo

I can confirm for Italy too. I posted some good Switch deals here too, regarding my country.

Why Nintendo shipped so many units to Europe instead of US (their strongest western market)?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nintendo shipping more units as we enter the Holiday months is not surprising since that was always the goal.

I don't think a Switch on shelves tells us anything about the demand level... Just that supply seems to finally be at a solid level.

Mario is hitting next month so whatever console stock retailers can gather now will likely be gone by end of October.

Holidays would be an absolute disaster if the situation hadn't improved a bit pre-November. If you want a Switch now is the perfect time to get it.

sphinx

the piano man
I think in west Europe the last countries to not have enough supply I knew of were Spain and France, everyone else had switch in normal quantities.

But how it's selling in every part of the continent, that's a huge question mark.

I assume it doesn't come anywhere near PS4 but surpasses X1, basically like in the UK.

Deband

This week is better in the UK. You only need to go back a week or two to see only Game with those famous bundles in stock. Every other retailer has been getting a trickle of systems. Good to see it in stock on Amazon for the last few days.

How much Switch is in other EU countries? I mean, I've seen plenty of consoles in Finland, but when price can be 370€ or something and you have 250€ PS/Xbox next to it...

PantsuJo

Cuningas de Häme;249200910 said:
How much Switch is in other EU countries? I mean, I've seen plenty of consoles in Finland, but when price can be 370€ or something and you have 250€ PS/Xbox next to it...
In Italy it's 329€.

Shiggy

Cuningas de Häme;249200910 said:

It's usually 300-330 EUR in Germany.

HyGogg

Banned
It still varies by region. They're scarce here, but seem abundant in other places. I managed to get one a couple weeks ago, but it took a week of diligently checking stock at all the local spots until a couple popped at a poorly located Target that no one goes to.

WAT

I mean, he's not wrong. He's not saying demand is gone, but it's definitely not as strong right now as it has been over the past six months. That's not to say anything about how things will play out during the holidays though. I predict Odyssey + the holiday season in general are going to give the system a huge boost in consumer interest.

Vena

I mean, he's not wrong. He's not saying demand is gone, but it's definitely not as strong right now as it has been over the past six months. That's not to say anything about how things will play out during the holidays though. I predict Odyssey + the holiday season in general are going to give the system a huge boost in consumer interest.

I think what he means is that that's impossible to use supply to gauge demand levels relative to a past point where supply constrained visible demand. This past NPD where supply was more plentiful in NA, resulted in sales still maintaining high numbers. This coming NPD may prove otherwise be we lack that data currently.

We don't have reference in Europe, and Japan we know that demand remains higher than supply.

I think what he means is that that's impossible to use supply to gauge demand levels relative to a past point where supply constrained visible demand. This past NPD where supply was more plentiful in NA, resulted in sales still maintaining high numbers. This coming NPD may prove otherwise be we lack that data currently.

We don't have reference in Europe, and Japan we know that demand remains higher than supply.

Hey, fair enough. I assumed MatrixMan.EXE was talking specifically about Europe though.

Vena

Hey, fair enough. I assumed MatrixMan.EXE was talking specifically about Europe though.

Also considering he runs a podcast that has Mat guesting for sales discussion, would say to me that he probably has at least an inkling more info than we do. 🤔

Europe seems it's been well supplied for months, not sure it's actually changed much. Shiggy has kept an eye on it for a while, only markets that have been in or out have been France and Germany. Last we heard from France, it was still tracking with the Wii.

I know this is a YMMV thing so don't take this as me predicting doom and gloom, but I feel like I've been seeing them in stock way more often than not since the launch of Splatoon 2. I live in the St. Louis area.

They've been showing as in-stock online pretty consistently since the close of last month, although they tend to swing out of stock again at stores near me within a week or so before stock is replenished. I saw about 15 of them behind the counter at my local Best Buy on Friday. Shortages are definitely over for the moment.

Zedark

Also considering he runs a podcast that has Mat guesting for sales discussion, would say to me that he probably has at least an inkling more info than we do. 🤔

Europe seems it's been well supplied for months, not sure it's actually changed much. Shiggy has kept an eye on it for a while, only markets that have been in or out have been France and Germany. Last we heard from France, it was still tracking with the Wii.

I believe UK also had issues with stock until about a month ago or so. The Netherlands also had stock issues until at least June, but at least since the start of July stuff has been easily available.

Switch is now on store shelves pretty much everywhere in my city in the Netherlands.

CEX is still asking 400 euro's for it for some reason lol. I don't understand their pricing.

F31 Leopard

Walmarts here in Hawaii just had restocks of Splatoon 2 bundles and Grey Joycon units. Seen some while grocery shopping. Pick one up if you happen to be here on vacation.

Hero

I know this is a YMMV thing so don't take this as me predicting doom and gloom, but I feel like I've been seeing them in stock way more often than not since the launch of Splatoon 2. I live in the St. Louis area.

Definitely think supply is increasing, which matches what Nintendo stated earlier on. With holiday season approaching, it won't be long until demand far outpaces supply. If anyone is interested in a Switch before next year, now is the best time to get one.

RedZaraki

Banned
FINALLY!

Brickseek was correct for me for once.

Showed a Wal-Mart nearby with 24 units.

I went there during my lunch break and FINALLY grabbed 2 Switches for gifts to my friends.

The hunt is over......now just need one SNES classic and one NES classic for myself and I'll be done with Nintendo Hardware for a while.

Sheesh.

Onivulk

Banned
Went to walmart and happened to look at the games section.

2 splatoon bundles right there :D

Ready for Odyssey and playing Mario + Rabbids now.

Now to figure out how to get this SNES classic.

Vena

I believe UK also had issues with stock until about a month ago or so. The Netherlands also had stock issues until at least June, but at least since the start of July stuff has been easily available.

I'd check with Shiggy on what has and has not been in stock in EU, heh. I don't keep the best track of PAL outside of headlines/articles I can read unlike NPD/JPN.

bman94

FINALLY!

Brickseek was correct for me for once.

Showed a Wal-Mart nearby with 24 units.

I went there during my lunch break and FINALLY grabbed 2 Switches for gifts to my friends.

The hunt is over......now just need one SNES classic and one NES classic for myself and I'll be done with Nintendo Hardware for a while.

Sheesh.

You sound like an amazing friend to casually drop $600 for gifts.

johnny956

Yea many Best Buy's are showing stock in the city (not all though). I saw a bunch in Kansas City yesterday a target as well

gtj1092

We got NPD numbers for August?

koss424

It's just funny. When the Switch is supply constrained the story of GAF is that Nintendo has messed up and leaving dollars the table. When they are on the shelf because supply has increased.its because there's no demand for the console.

For anyone in need, Gamestop.com just restocked their actually fair Switch Bundles. They have the Neon ones with either Splatoon, Zelda, or Rabbids, and no BS, for $359 (so just MSRP).

They also have Grey with Mario Kart.

mikeebi3

Fyi Walmart has had the splatoon bundle in stock for like a week if anyone is interested
walmart.com was acting up for me and my order got cancelled like 10 times, but talked with customer support and they pushed it through. Got myself a pink/green one and love it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom