• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, but without sounding like I'm trolling, the Wii U was for Nintendo fans and looked how that turned out.

I really think because are confusing Switch hype when it's really all about Zelda.

Ehh, I'm not sure I understand what you mean that the Wii U was for Nintendo fans. When they announced the hardware everybody kind of had a collective head scratching moment.

Also the Wii U didn't release with a new Zelda game. It released with Super Mario Bros U which looked like a "more of the same" Mario title. Not a whole lot to get excited about.

If the Wii U had launched with a new Mario\Zelda\Metroid game that was actually NEW with a clear release line of other great titles then I think the Wii U would have sold more. Thats the key difference with the Switch.

Moltenix

Just managed to snag a Neon Switch off of walmart.ca

All gone now but stock for the Neon and Grey was available for a good few minutes. Not great but i've seen supposed stock at places like BestBuy.ca vanish within seconds...

Doesn't arrive until the 25th apparently but i'll take it!

People definitely like the hardware. Lots of people. You're going to see this fact even more with MK8D, as it goes on to sell millions of copies to people who never bothered with the Wii U version.

Edit - also, your point about the Wii is bizarre. The only reason people cared about Wii Sports is because of the Wii remote. Grandma and grandpa weren't going to go Wii bowling with a traditional game pad.

Yet if the Wii had released without Wii Sports, do you really think it takes off? Nothing else would have changed.

I know a whole lot of people who bought the Wii because they were blown away by Wii Sports, and pretty much hated motion controls on every other game they tried. None of them had the magic of Wii Sports, but they all had the same hardware.

TS-08

Yet if the Wii had released without Wii Sports, do you really think it takes off? Nothing else would have changed.

I know a whole lot of people who bought the Wii because they were blown away by Wii Sports, and pretty much hated motion controls on every other game they tried. None of them had the magic of Wii Sports, but they all had the same hardware.

They were blown away by Wii Sports because of the Wii Remote. The fact that Wii Sports was a particularly good implemtation of that and helped sell the Wii doesn't change that.

Let me put it this way: in an alternate universe where Wii Sports doesn't exist and Nintendo instead packs every console with Wii Play, I think the Wii still does much better than an alternate universe where the Wii releases with Wii Sports with everything else the same except the system uses a traditional controller with no motion controls.

W-00

If anybody in Kitsap County is looking for a gray Switch, try the Target in Silverdale. I was there earlier today and they had six in stock. They had seven when I arrived, but one sold before I left (not to me - I'm holding out for neon).

The nearby Gamestop had a bunch of Switch boxes on display (also gray), but the employees were all busy, so I didn't get to ask if they actually had any in stock.

andthebeatgoeson

I'm tripping that they pushed 900k and y'all still having trouble. Mario kart and splatoon on deck? I'm just gonna assume a repeat wii situation until i see otherwise. There's not a lot to really stop the train until the winter.

Laekon

Two Target here in socal stocked with a least 6 gray Switch locked behind glass. Seems pretty healthy down here.

Where? I went to two Walmart's and 1 Target in Ventura county today and they had nothing. I mean a few games but no consoles and no accessories.

I've been checking the local walmarts between Ashland, KY. and Charleston, WV. Out of stock at every one. Only a few boxes lined up that say 'display only'.

Omadahl

Banned
I'm casually asking my students what they think of the Switch. So far none of them have one and only 1 in 5 knows what it is. They have time to build it up until Christmas but yeesh.

suaveric

I just want the blue joy cons and tracking those down has been a pain. I figured by the time Mario Kart was out it wouldn't be a problem to find them. I'm starting to think that won't be the case.

Finishoff

Where? I went to two Walmart's and 1 Target in Ventura county today and they had nothing. I mean a few games but no consoles and no accessories.
One store had it locked behind glass in the Apple iPad section and the other had it under the console gaming section.

My area has dried out since the big Walmart restocks and the Sunday restock at Best Buy and Target. I suspect there must be another large restock coming before Mario Kart

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I'm casually checking to see what the stock is like. Seems like it might be late into May before they become easier to find.

Maybe they like PS4 or are waiting for Scorpio

Strangely it looks like lots of launches are skewing older.

The dedicated market, the bulk of early buyers are starting to drift towards adults. Either because of price or the market consolidating drastically around a certain age group. Those in the age range of SNES to PS2 launch. Maybe a combo?

Lots of kids get their start today on mobile and tablets. Maybe they aren't going to the more traditional systems? Or do, but on a really delayed curve.

Omadahl

Banned
Strangely it looks like lots of launches are skewing older.

The dedicated market, the bulk of early buyers are starting to drift towards adults. Either because of price or the market consolidating drastically around a certain age group. Those in the age range of SNES to PS2 launch. Maybe a combo?

Lots of kids get their start today on mobile and tablets. Maybe they aren't going to the more traditional systems? Or do, but on a really delayed curve.

This is an interesting point. I'm not trying to downplay Nintendo's success so far. I just find it curious that my video-game playing students tend to have a PS4 or computer and none of them talk about having a 3DS, Wii U, or a Switch. I know Christmas is when kids usually get consoles, but I wonder how Nintendo is going to market this in the stretch from E3 to Christmas. All of this is anecdotal obviously; there may be a school with 100 kids all with a Switch.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm casually asking my students what they think of the Switch. So far none of them have one and only 1 in 5 knows what it is. They have time to build it up until Christmas but yeesh.
Which students? My industrial design (under)grads pretty much all know what it is and a lot of them want one (though as the game design prof, my interaction with students will generally be slanted towards gamer students).

Edit: oh you mean elementary/high school pupils? Yeah it does seem to be aimed at older people.
The kind who grew up with Pokemon on GBA and DS especially all seem poised to jump back in.

HeroR

This is an interesting point. I'm not trying to downplay Nintendo's success so far. I just find it curious that my video-game playing students tend to have a PS4 or computer and none of them talk about having a 3DS, Wii U, or a Switch. I know Christmas is when kids usually get consoles, but I wonder how Nintendo is going to market this in the stretch from E3 to Christmas. All of this is anecdotal obviously; there may be a school with 100 kids all with a Switch.

It is impossible to base sells or interest on personal accounts. If I did that, I would think no owned any game console outside of the Wii and the 3DS since that is all anyone plays where I am at.

Which students? My industrial design (under)grads pretty much all know what it is and a lot of them want one (though as the game design prof, my interaction with students will generally be slanted towards gamer students).

Edit: oh you mean elementary/high school pupils? Yeah it does seem to be aimed at older people.
The kind who grew up with Pokemon on GBA and DS especially all seem poised to jump back in.

It is more aim at all groups since I see Switch commercials all the time on Cartoon Network and Disney. I also see Switch stuff all the time on Animal Planet oddly enough.

Almost 3 weeks since I ordered a Switch at Gamestop (they had one the day I ordered, but that was for someone else) and they haven't shipped a single Switch since that's day. That's incompetence if you ask me.

Muffdraul

Looking forward to the day when I can just casually go to Amazon at my leisure and order the SKU w/ neon joycons. I'd be a lot more antsy if I hadn't already finished BotW on Wii U. I remember I wasn't able to score a Wii from Amazon until April 2007. Over six months post launch. Again, it was no biggie because I'd already played TP on my Gamecube.
And I ended up preferring the GC version way way more anyway.

murgo

Almost 3 weeks since I ordered a Switch at Gamestop (they had one the day I ordered, but that was for someone else) and they haven't shipped a single Switch since that's day. That's incompetence if you ask me.

You should try checking eBay once in a while. Saturn had the neon version in stock last Wednesday. I thought it was a mistake, but they shipped on the same day and I got it last Thursday :)

You should try checking eBay once in a while. Saturn had the neon version in stock last Wednesday. I thought it was a mistake, but they shipped on the same day and I got it last Thursday :)

I can't. I have credit at Gamestop. Sorry, but I don't even blame them for this, it's purely Nintendo.

They sold essentially a record amount of consoles in the launch month. People need to give Nintendo a little slack. We're seeing big restocks each week as well.

I am not giving them any slack at all. Nintendo A: does not communicate, at all and B: hasn't shipped a single Switch in three weeks. That's insane mate. I live in the second biggest city in Germany and this shouldn't be happening.

Laekon

They sold essentially a record amount of consoles in the launch month. People need to give Nintendo a little slack. We're seeing big restocks each week as well.

I don't know about big restocks. I didn't hear of Amazon having stock last week except for a handful local delivery only cases. Target doesn't even list the grey console on their website anymore.

andthebeatgoeson

Nope, the storyline is too important. Wii sold an unprecedented amount and got the same excuses. Now, Nintendo had a lot to sell, doubled production within the month of release and demand is so large, it's just more convenient to blame Nintendo. They should have known and hindsight is flawless.

I don't know if everyone already uses brickseek.com, but it's how I found my Switch and pro controller. Shows you exactly how many are in stock at different locations.

Are the Neon Red+Blue joycon packs (not the switch itself, just the joycons) limited editions or something? I'm never able to find those in stock anywhere, whereas the gray ones are pretty easy to find.

Success!

Managed to get a Neon Switch at a Walmart today. For what its worth, I think Brickseek was the better tool compared to istocknow in my case. Checking istocknow showed this particular Walmart as having 2 gray consoles in stock, but zero neons. Brickseek showed 2 gray and 2 neons. Called the store and they said they had 4 consoles in stock. By the time I got over there about 20 minutes later, they had 1 Neon and 2 Gray consoles left. Out of curiosity, I checked Brickseek and istocknow after I left and brickseek accurately shows that there are zero Neon consoles left.

That particular WalMart also had a bunch of Pro Controllers and just about every color variation of JoyCons too- all red, all blue plus the red/blue.

Well, time to join the hunt. Now that I can sell my un opened NES Classic to cover costs, I think I will go for a switch. Going to be using those sites to hopefully nab one in upstate NY.

Just for curiousity sake I just checked Amazon (both Canada and USA) and Best Buy (both Canada and USA). None available. Anyone have an idea how long it took for stock to normalize for other hot selling systems in the past?

You're a game design professor? That's awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom