• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I Got Mario Galaxy 2 for Xmas... and I already hate it

incoming revisionist bullshit with idiotic complaints about SMG2

l8xYp.gif

Mzo

Osuwari said:
the rays are gone in SMG2. they replaced the levels with flying levels and with some bird named Fluzzard and he controls way easiert than the rays.
Don't lie to him, it's just as bad. Motion controls, lol.

apana

MrDenny said:
I didn't enjoy the galaxy series.
Everything felt like an obstacle course.
I miss the mario 64 feeling :(

Mario 64 was an exploration platformer, kind of different from the Galaxy games. I remember I made a thread about it.

Ranger X

MrDenny said:
I didn't enjoy the galaxy series.
Everything felt like an obstacle course.
I miss the mario 64 feeling :(

To me Galaxy is Mario64 done right. Nostalgia aside, Mario 64 has been beaten in every possible way for me.

It's mario galaxy again with less of what made the first galaxy as good. It's still solid and has some fun levels in there. It doesn't really improve the formula AT ALL. Bad motion controls are still bad. Bad camera is still bad on the occasion (but what can you do in a game that moves it's perspective so often?). Lack of exploration and the feeling of linearity is far worse than ever. The super-cuteness of a 5 year old's game that isn't really for very little kids still makes absolutely no sense to me. Half of the super powers are still pretty lame. But the 3d platforming fundamentals and cute gimmicks are still awesome. I'm sure you'll get your money's worth out of it.
The only thing the galaxy 2 does more and better than 1 is the 2d platforming. It's no longer just a gimmick that's neat, they actually put some effort into the 2d segments and they're more common, too.

Btw, don't grind your way to 120 stars if you feel like getting 120 is a chore. The reward is ok, but not worth the time if you're tired of it by then.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I never finished Galaxy 2. I think I just don't like 3D mario. I almost feel like Mario has too many moves to do, which sometimes means he does things I don't want him to do.

Plus, platforming in a 3D environment sucks ass.

Now, NSMB Wii. That was a game I adored.

BowieZ

Banned
I think most of the galaxies in world 1 were fairly mediocre but it all picks up by the end of world 2 or 3.

It's better than SMG1 but neither holds a candle to the multiplayer 2.5D perfection that is NSMBW.

HAL_Laboratory said:
And I already hate it. I mean, why did they add all these little boundaries and shit? In the first one, right out of the gate, you could zoom around planets in tight little orbits and the camera would track you. It was such a sweet dynamic. If you fell from a tall ledge or platform, in most cases you were fine because gravity would hook a brother up. In Mario Galaxy 2, by contrast, the very first planetoid in the game has a freakin' fence around it that blocks you from crossing over to the bottom hemisphere. WTF? I thought surely it was just in the intro section -- Nintendo wouldn't do something that dumb.

You can backflip over the fence.

EDIT:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZpeDQBw3xg

cantona222

Beat the game, then come back here.
I'm not forcing you to like it, but if you wanna compare sequels fairly, compare them after beating them.

Koodo

Banned
It's hard to come back to Galaxy 1 after Galaxy 2. It's such a massive improvement in every way possible. I, too, like the small planetoid gameplay, but it just wasn't that much more than a really cool gimmick. Galaxy 2, however, fires on all cylinders. What impressed me the most is how much terrific shit it didn't use from its predecessor. So even though Galaxy 2 is so much better, there is still some worth to Galaxy 1 because it has several mechanics absent in the sequel.

I remember my biggest gripe while playing Galaxy 2 was how it (initially) never stopped to develop its ideas because it kept introducing something new every single level. I wish that was my only complain in every other game. But even that one complain got thrown out a window after the third world.

Game of the fucking forever.

I remember complaining about the game when I first played it, too. Please complete the game and then come back here and say what your opinion is. Because mine completely changed--I think that it's better than Galaxy in many ways, now. The only thing that Galaxy has on it is its original music and that it was done first.

HAL_Laboratory said:
And I already hate it. I mean, why did they add all these little boundaries and shit? In the first one, right out of the gate, you could zoom around planets in tight little orbits and the camera would track you. It was such a sweet dynamic. If you fell from a tall ledge or platform, in most cases you were fine because gravity would hook a brother up. In Mario Galaxy 2, by contrast, the very first planetoid in the game has a freakin' fence around it that blocks you from crossing over to the bottom hemisphere. WTF? I thought surely it was just in the intro section -- Nintendo wouldn't do something that dumb. Wrong. World 1 does the same shit. And in the CLOUDS no less. Yeah the world map isn't actually in space, you're in a cloudy sky. With black holes that kill you whenever you fall. It's still a badass game but these little design changes really screw things up at times. There are bits of magic in the first game that simply aren't captured here.
Thank you for making this thread.

No matter how great SMG was, it was clearly kind of experimental - designed to show off its gimmick to great success. SMG2 was more about designing solid, focused level designs to increase linearity to great success. So it's definitely different from its predecessor, but I wouldn't say in a bad way at all. SMG's use of gravity was arguably more interesting due to its occasional nonlinearity, but SMG2 has the better level design.

Shiggy

cantona222 said:
Beat the game, then come back here.
I'm not forcing you to like it, but if you wanna compare sequels fairly, compare them after beating them.

Didn't make it any better for me, I just preferred the more non-linear stages.

sphinx

the piano man
OP sounds like someone who loved Mario Sunshine more than Galaxy (like me!).

Expecting absolute freedom and free camera view happened back then but that game is more an aventure than a platformer.

In the galaxies, you go from point A to point B so this movement andcamera freedom is not needed, expected or even wanted (by some).

I suggest: Learn to love games for what the are.

AniHawk

I never fell in love with SMG the way everyone else did. Might've been a side effect of being a month or more late to the party. There were parts of that game that I really loved, particularly The Long Jump (The Long Jump), but I felt that game had a lot more design issues than SMG2.

Since I have a short-term memory even with games I like, I can't recall the differences in camera style, but I really appreciate that SMG2 is a far more streamlined experience. I loved the gimmicks and new powers, and I loved the post-120 star stuff. While not always great, it was a better idea than SMG's, and really tested your knowledge of the level design.

There are still issues I have with the games. Stuff like, we don't need to see that a comet has appeared at a planet. We know there's a new challenge because it was grayed out when we clicked on it. We also don't need to see a flyby of the level every time, although this applies more to the post-120 star stuff.

The biggest problem is the fact that there are 120 stars. SM64 did it for some reason, so SMS had to do it too. That meant SMG had to have 120 stars, and so did SMG2. Fortunately, coin-collecting stars stick to their own levels, so there's no more 100-yellow-coins-per-level collectathoning (or red coins). Unfortunately, these challenges were replaced by lots of non-platforming stuff like skating, fireball-throwing (the fuck were they thinking), and motion-controlled minigames. The 3D series should just cut the fat, do like the NSMB series, and have 75-100 challenges of just platforming. I guess I can understand keeping some of them, as they break up the pace and are a... "reward" for exploration, but the levels that are very clearly only designed for minigames (like the fluzzard/manta ray stuff), need to go.

i love the mini game levels. it basically feels like a single player mario party game to me

and that is a great thing

Maxrunner

HAL_Laboratory said:
And I already hate it. I mean, why did they add all these little boundaries and shit? In the first one, right out of the gate, you could zoom around planets in tight little orbits and the camera would track you. It was such a sweet dynamic. If you fell from a tall ledge or platform, in most cases you were fine because gravity would hook a brother up. In Mario Galaxy 2, by contrast, the very first planetoid in the game has a freakin' fence around it that blocks you from crossing over to the bottom hemisphere. WTF? I thought surely it was just in the intro section -- Nintendo wouldn't do something that dumb. Wrong. World 1 does the same shit. And in the CLOUDS no less. Yeah the world map isn't actually in space, you're in a cloudy sky. With black holes that kill you whenever you fall. It's still a badass game but these little design changes really screw things up at times. There are bits of magic in the first game that simply aren't captured here.

its only the best game ive played this year....

MYE

Am i the only one who gladly blurs both games into one huge and unforgettable experience?

And i dont force this, its just how my brain works. Anyway, two of the best games ever made as far as i'm concerned. Totally made this gen for me.

Kurtofan

I'd like to have a New Mario 64.
Galaxy games are great but they feel like 2D mario in 3D, instead of real 3D Mario.

Yeah, SMG2 was a disappointment, but I guess that's mostly because I realized SMG was never that good to begin with. SMG2 may be better than SMG and the Galaxy games may be the best 3D Marios, but I just find them to be a chore when I play. Upon playing SMG for the first time I was of course overwhelmed by the pretty graphics and bursting creativity, but upon closer inspection it's just a bunch of half-assed mechanics and mostly mediocre level designs.

2D is where Mario contiunes to shine, with NSMBWii probably being the best of them all.

MYE

830920 said:
Yeah, SMG2 was a disappointment, but I guess that's mostly because I realized SMG was never that good to begin with. SMG2 may be better than SMG and the Galaxy games may be the best 3D Marios, but I just find them to be a chore when I play. Upon playing SMG for the first time I was of course overwhelmed by the pretty graphics and bursting creativity, but upon closer inspection it's just a bunch of half-assed mechanics and mostly mediocre level designs.

2D is where Mario contiunes to shine, with NSMBWii probably being the best of them all.

o____o

Anasui Kishibe said:

zigg

MYE said:
Am i the only one who gladly blurs both games into one huge and unforgettable experience?

And i dont force this, its just how my brain works. Anyway, two of the best games ever made as far as i'm concerned. Totally made this gen for me.
Not at all. I got this unhealthy (to my backlog) urge to replay them both all the way through just a week or so ago. It wasn't one or the other... they're like one big thrilling set.

I probably have myself to blame in part too; when SMG2 was inbound for review I went on a 242 run on SMG just before... I was warned that I'd be too Mario'd out but it just didn't happen. :lol Loved it so much.

Super Mario Galaxy >>> Super Mario Galaxy 2.

It’s a good game...but of all the games I got this year Super Mario Galaxy 2 along with Demon’s Souls were the only two that disappointed me. It was forgettable and at times I just really wanted it to end.

All the magic and awe from the original was completely gone here and it felt like an expansion pack. It got old really quickly for me. And that’s coming from someone who absolutely adored the first one...

one thing i will say though is that i do get bored playing this game alone. i find it more fun to play with people, even if i'm just watching them play. I'm really not sure why this is but when I'm alone the levels do seem to be verrrrry long

but OP you should keep going because like people said the game gets really great. I consider myself hard to impress when it comes to games nowadays and there were some galaxies where i just flat out had good classic fun.

V_Arnold

The_Technomancer said:
Well to be fair Galaxy 2 is supposed to be a continued exploration of Galaxy 1's mechanics. And it really lessens the focus on "small planetoids" gravity hijinks and strongly emphasizes "jumping from wall to wall Inception-style" gravity hijinks.

Supposed to be? According to who?
I just do not get how can someone sit down and instead of actually playing the game, he starts to look for things that are different. You look for them, you find them. What a surprise.

LowParry

I didn't enjoy SMG2 as much as I thought it would when I first started playing. Reason being, I just barely finished the first one and jumped right into the second. Gave it about a months rest then came back. Blown away. Fucking awesome games. Just don't play them back to back.

Haunted

It's in a relatively unique situation as far as mainline Mario titles go, that's for sure. It's refinement instead of pure innovation, but it's still extremely creative and innovate, probably moreso than any direct sequel ever made (interesting side question: is it really a direct sequel when its story is not a continuation but basically a remake of the first one?).

Then again, what do you get if you refine one of the best 3D platformers ever made. One of the objectively best games ever made, right? And yet... and yet it does not have the same impact the first one had for many people.

I felt that it was very difficult to gauge its place among modern Mario.

robor said:
Congratulations. You're on a forum.
Congratulations. You're snarky on the internet.

Maxrunner said:
it got a 10 in Edge.....so at least its a very good game....
Of all the reasons why Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a very good game... this is not one of them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I personally felt the first few levels of the game were a total drag as well. I can't really articulate why, there's nothing about the level design that wouldn't have been at home in the early levels of SMG1, but playing the, both myself and my girlfriend just had this immediately disappointed reaction. I'm sure that doesn't reflect on the game as a whole and I'll eventually get around to playing the rest (I kinda stopped when I finished the first world, other stuff to play).

Cheech

Thank God somebody else said it. I've been harboring a secret suspicion that everyone who is trotting this out as 2010 GOTY is a closeted Nintendo fanboy.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Cheech said:
Thank God somebody else said it. I've been harboring a secret suspicion that everyone who is trotting this out as 2010 GOTY is a closeted Nintendo fanboy.

good call bro

Top Bottom