• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I Got Mario Galaxy 2 for Xmas... and I already hate it

Davey Cakes

The first world is far from the best world, but to think that the game elicits feelings of disappointment in the beginning is just...weird. And some of you are saying it drags?

Again...weird. The game picks up in its second half, definitely, but what about the first world is so underwhelming? I, for one, think that the Yoshi Star, Fluffy Bluff, Flip-Swap, and Rightside-Down Galaxies are an absolute blast. You folks need to come back down to Earth. SMG was astronomical at the time, but its greatness doesn't shadow any part of the second game by any means, since at the very least these two titles are pretty much even on a design level.

Just calm down. Seriously. Breath. SMG2 being underrated in SMG1's wake, so far to the point of making people stop playing before they even leave the first world, is an injustice on the highest levels. I'm not trying to bloat SMG2 to a level it doesn't deserve, but I can't help but be saddened when the game is received so indifferently just because the first world doesn't blow you away. God damn sequelitis.

Jtrizzy

I finally got a wii, and am trying to choose a game to play first. Nsmb, mg 1 or 2, or dkcr. Any advice? Also trying to find a fun game to play online with my sister.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jtrizzy said:
I finally got a wii, and am trying to choose a game to play first. Nsmb, mg 1 or 2, or dkcr. Any advice? Also trying to find a fun game to play online with my sister.

The Super Mario Galaxy games, at least in my opinion, are the best the console has to offer and it would be wise to start with SMG1.

It probably would be harder to play 1 after 2, since the first half or so of the game is pretty easy. Plus, it just makes sense to play them in chronological order. NSMB and DK (I hear) are both must plays, maybe play them inbetween the Galaxies.

I don't know about online. The only appealing online Wii game to me is Monster Hunter, but that might not be fun with your sister. Maybe Mario Kart..

Maxrunner

Cheech said:
Thank God somebody else said it. I've been harboring a secret suspicion that everyone who is trotting this out as 2010 GOTY is a closeted Nintendo fanboy.

yep we all know that a game to be goty needs to have a brown and grey color palette....

Davey Cakes

Jtrizzy said:
That's a lot of Mario/platforming. It's also two 2D-style games and two 3D ones. I'd say a good order would be NSMB>Galaxy>DKCR>Galaxy 2, since the Galaxy games should be played apart from each other (in order to prevent series fatigue).

Don't know what to say about online play. I don't really play games online anymore. I will note that DKCR and NSMB Wii support co-op multiplayer and that, if you have anyone to play with locally, NSMB Wii is one of the most fun and hectic multiplayer experiences you can have.

EDIT: Mario Kart is one of the Wii's best online games. Nearly flawless except for the lack of communication options.

Maxrunner said:
yep we all know that a game to be goty needs to have a brown and grey color palette....
It's not even that. Galaxy 2 is rated too highly by the entire gaming population to be a "fanboy GOTY nominee." Seriously, contenders are contenders for a reason, people.

If someone said something like Mario Party 8 was GOTY back in 2007, then there would be a reason to raise suspicion. Otherwise, calling fanboy on a solid percentage of people nominating a game as well-crafted and well-received as SMG2 is an action absolutely worth an immense amount of ridicule.

Boney

Banned
You want an online game?

Mario-Strikers-Charged-US.jpg

Bam

Jtrizzy

Thanks guys, I didn't realize mkart was online enabled. I was a huge nintendo fan till ps1 came out. Now im really excited to play better versions of the games I loved so much as a kid.

I think ill start w smg and dkcr. How hard is it to do the hack to use a classic controller w dkcr? Will it also work with smg?

Boney

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
Thanks guys, I didn't realize mkart was online enabled. I was a huge nintendo fan till ps1 came out. Now im really excited to play better versions of the games I loved so much as a kid.

I think ill start w smg and dkcr. How hard is it to do the hack to use a classic controller w dkcr? Will it also work with smg?
Galaxy requires the use of the pointer, so that's a no can do. I think it's easy to enable cc support though, since installing the homebrew channel is easy peasy.

But that's not the right attitude mister.

here's a gaf recommends thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396775

and for your homebrew http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291277

Cheech

Jtrizzy said:

You want Mario Kart Wii. That's almost a requirement. When my family gets together, that is all we play, and the online works great too.

The Galaxy games require the Wiimote/nunchuck due to the game mechanics. It works well, no worries. Haven't played DKC.

Maxrunner said:

You haven't played Mass Effect, then.

.la1n

Was wondering when it would come time for the annual GAF hates on whatever has been popular the last year. I found SMG & 2 to be pure fun entertainment but I went into it not expecting some new revolution of game design or the mario character for that matter. I agree the motion controls for the most part annoyed me but that was few and far between.

I can see how the game may not appeal to everyone and if you let the internet set your expectations through the roof you were bound to never enjoy it in the first place. I'm also one of the strange people who think that both SMG games are better than New SMB Wii.

Haunted

Boney said:
You want an online game?

Mario-Strikers-Charged-US.jpg

Bam
Best online multiplayer balance this generation along with Starcraft 2. Fact.

.la1n said:
I'm also one of the strange people who think that both SMG games are better than New SMB Wii.
That's not strange, that's pretty much the majority consensus.

Jtrizzy

Not the right attitude? Are you saying just skip the controller hack and use motion controls in dkcr? Thanks again for the help, im a total wii noob.

Haunted

Jtrizzy said:
Not the right attitude? Are you saying just skip the controller hack and use motion controls in dkcr? Thanks again for the help, im a total wii noob.
Just play the game, all three control methods have their proponents in the official thread (I personally play with the Wiimote + Nunchuck). You can always switch them later on if you don't like it.

robor

Haunted said:
Congratulations. You're snarky on the internet.

Nope. I was countering the snarky remark to begin with. I like seeing a thread that rides against the current. HAL_Labs had some interesting critique on the game, some of which I agree with myself.

Of course, seeing as it's a popular game there is always going to be someone coming in and shitting on such a thread.

Cheech said:
Thank God somebody else said it. I've been harboring a secret suspicion that everyone who is trotting this out as 2010 GOTY is a closeted Nintendo fanboy.

I said it awhile ago. I thought Mario Galaxy was one of the most overrated games this gen but MG2 beats it by light years. Both games are pretty mediocre but because it's Nintendo and it's Mario it will get a free pass. If another game did this, it would get bashed to hell but because it's Mario it is ok.

Boney

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
I'm just joking around. Haven't played the game myself, but some people prefer the CC support. But motion controls are gonna be a big part of the Wii experience, most of times they do a good job with it, but sometimes it'll be a dud. Best thing you can do is just play it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Phoenix Fang said:
I said it awhile ago. I thought Mario Galaxy was one of the most overrated games this gen but MG2 beats it by light years. Both games are pretty mediocre but because it's Nintendo and it's Mario it will get a free pass. If another game did this, it would get bashed to hell but because it's Mario it is ok.

Hardly. Sure, I love Mario and that is part of the game's appeal, but with or without him they are insanely good 3D platformers. It requires no hyperbole to say that they're the best 3D platformers ever made, what else can compare to them? Ratchet and Clank? Banjo Kazooie? No way. The controls and level design are unrivaled.

MYE

Cheech said:
Phoenix Fang said:

Its one thing to have an opinion, its another to go around and assume that everybody who doesnt agree with you is a closet fanboy or some other shit.

Snuggler said:
Hardly. Sure, I love Mario and that is part of the game's appeal, but with or without him they are insanely good 3D platformers. It requires no hyperbole to say that they're the best 3D platformers ever made, what else can compare to them? Ratchet and Clank? Banjo Kazooie? No way. The controls and level design are unrivaled.

Going to have to disagree with you there.

I find Ratchet and Clank to be much better platformers, with much better level designs than any Mario game out there. As for Banjo Kazooie, I enjoyed them much more than any Mario game.

MYE said:
Its one thing to have an opinion, its another to go around and assume that everybody who doesnt agree with you is a closet fanboy or some other shit.

I didn't call anyone a fanboy thou. The only time I'll call someone a fanboy is when they start bashing me, saying my opinion is stupid or insulting me because I don't agree with their opinion.

.la1n

Phoenix Fang said:

I tend to let people have their opinion but mediocre? Really? Nintendo + Mario gets the praise it does because of the level of polish that goes into the games. Other games would get the same treatment if they were executed just as well. Ratchet & Clank, for example, are great platformers but due to technical flaws here and there they tend to score lower. SMG on the other hand is near perfect on a technical and accessibility level. Haters gonna hate I suppose.

Now when a Mario platformer comes out riddled with bugs or mechanics that do not work and gets glowing reviews then I will give you that it's getting a free pass.

tiff

Banned
apana said:
Mario 64 was an exploration platformer, kind of different from the Galaxy games. I remember I made a thread about it.
Yeah, Galaxy is much more like the older games in that the level design is almost 2-dimensional. Which, you know, is fine because it's still a Mario game, but it just feels a little underwhelming when its predecessors took much better advantage of the freedom that 3D provides.
Ranger X said:
To me Galaxy is Mario64 done right. Nostalgia aside, Mario 64 has been beaten in every possible way for me.
I'd rather play Mario 64 today than Galaxy, in all honesty.

Snuggler said:

Good point, but if we're going by controls and responsiveness, I'd put Sly up there as the pinnacle. Maybe a little left field, but I don't think you can objectively put Mario in front of the pack - subjectively, perhaps.

andymcc

Banned
Phoenix Fang said:

I find Ratchet and Clank to be much better platformers, with much better level designs than any Mario game out there. As for Banjo Kazooie, I enjoyed them much more than any Mario game.

I didn't call anyone a fanboy thou. The only time I'll call someone a fanboy is when they start bashing me, saying my opinion is stupid or insulting me because I don't agree with their opinion.

omg. :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Pylon_Trooper said:
Good point, but if we're going by controls and responsiveness, I'd put Sly up there as the pinnacle. Maybe a little left field, but I don't think you can objectively put Mario in front of the pack - subjectively, perhaps.

Oh, I love Sly. I would have a hard time arguing that it's on the same level as the Mario Galaxies, or any 3D Mario for that matter, but I treasure Sly Cooper and The Thievious Racoonus just as much as those games. I agree on the controls and responsiveness part, though, Sly controls like a dream.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
MYE said:
Said it better then I could. Disliking the Galaxy games is your opinion, you're entitled to it. But to say that the rest of us are all blind Nintendo fanboys who just lap up Mario and call it great is downright insulting.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Phoenix Fang said:

This raises an interesting question on subjectivity.

Just what /is/ good level design to you, for instance?

The Galaxy games are so highly praised because they're unrivaled in ingenuity, creativity, and use of 3D space and mechanics. Their stage designs pull out every conceivable trick in the book, and usually each level is its own unique idea that's almost never repeated through the entire game.

Their camera system is also pretty objectively just about the best camera so far in a 3D platformer in terms of clarity and how rarely it gets confused or loses a good perspective, and most of the time, manages to do it automatically without the player constantly adjusting it.

In terms of character physics, Ratchet & Clank is also below not just Mario Galaxy, but a number of other 3D platformers (including some N64 games). Ratchet has just never had any weight and tends to feel as if he is sliding along surfaces rather than attaching to them. It's not /bad/ but it's not great either. Kind of average.

Now, off the top of my head, one thing I can think Ratchet does have in its favor, is spectacle. Ratchet's sci-fi setting is used well with stage layouts organically worked into the art direction, especially in the PS3 games. I don't want to make assumptions, but is it a thematic thing for you? Is Ratchet's world just more appealing than the cartoon that Mario is?

The problem with calling Mario Galaxy "just mediocre" and saying "if it wasn't Mario, it'd be bashed to hell" is that it's a tall, ridiculous sounding statement because Mario Galaxy is a series that attracts people who /don't like Nintendo games/. It's not about the character, or Peach and Bowser, it's about the creativity, control, level design, music, and experience. That's why the Galaxy games have been so universally praised including by those who are on a mission to despise the Wii and hate Nintendo.

If Mario Galaxy was The Adventures of Cardboard Box and everything was featureless cubes, it'd still be an amazingly designed platforming experience.

So yeah, there's a longer and more reasonable response I think, to why people are going to laugh at someone who comes in and starts saying "bah, Mario is stupid and overrated and is actually a terrible platformer! Almost every other platformer that's not Mario is far superior!"

And this is not directed at you personally, but it's also pretty common for anyone who says a Nintendo game is superior to be called a "mere Nintendo fanboy" just because it's Nintendo, regardless of the game's merits. Nintendo isn't Cool for School like the bros enjoy, and is supposed to only be for Pokemon kids and "neckbeards". For some guys, they'll never accept that anything with Nintendo on the box will be for anyone other than "fanboys". Just as some people think all Blizzard games are for "fanboys", all Valve games, etc, for whatever reason the individual has an irrational problem with a brand identity.

Snuggler said:
Oh, I love Sly. I would have a hard time arguing that it's on the same level as the Mario Galaxies, or any 3D Mario for that matter, but I treasure Sly Cooper and The Thievious Racoonus just as much as those games. I agree on the controls and responsiveness part, though, Sly controls like a dream.

More Sly love, the better! Good man! :D

For me personally, it'd be Sly 2 that takes the platformer cake...and many might argue that's not really a valid or comparable title to put forward, it just clicks so well and fires on all critical cylinders. But it seems like we'd just go in circles with this comparison!

But hey, it seems like the OP needs to spend a little more time with SMG2. Hate is a terribly strong word!

To the OP, just give it a little more time. It doesn't have the same sense of wonder at the beginning that Mario Galaxy had, but once it gets rolling in a few levels it is incredible.

Part of the charm of the first Galaxy was the freshness of it. A Mario game like that had not really been done before, with the crazy physics and whatnot, so each moment of it felt fresh and new. You go into Galaxy 2 kind of knowing what to expect, and knowing of the craziness that Galaxy 1 threw at you towards the end of it. But it starts slow, then as it goes starts turning all the crazy concepts from Galaxy 1 up to 11 for the rest of the game, and throwing in some other new ideas.

Give it time. If you really loved the first one, I think once you get rolling in 2 you will love it as well.

PhoncipleBone said:
To the OP, just give it a little more time. It doesn't have the same sense of wonder at the beginning that Mario Galaxy had, but once it gets rolling in a few levels it is incredible.

Part of the charm of the first Galaxy was the freshness of it. A Mario game like that had not really been done before, with the crazy physics and whatnot, so each moment of it felt fresh and new. You go into Galaxy 2 kind of knowing what to expect, and knowing of the craziness that Galaxy 1 threw at you towards the end of it. But it starts slow, then as it goes starts turning all the crazy concepts from Galaxy 1 up to 11 for the rest of the game, and throwing in some other new ideas.

Give it time. If you really loved the first one, I think once you get rolling in 2 you will love it as well.
I got about 60 stars in and just gave up because it felt like a chore to play. When does it start to pick up? I think I'm on world 5 or 6.

KAL2006

Banned
This thread is shocking, Mario Galaxy 2 is for me my best platformer game of all time. Tons of variety, creativity, and just overall great platforming. As for Mario 64, I can see why people prefer it over the Galaxy games, because of the open stages, but I prefer linear gameplay, it's like the old 2D Mario's the obstacles and shit is is right in front of you,. In Mario 64 there were just so many time where I skipped an enemy by walking around it. However Mario 64 is still good in it's own way, but not as good as the Galaxy games.

Davey Cakes

ratcliffja said:
I got about 60 stars in and just gave up because it felt like a chore to play. When does it start to pick up? I think I'm on world 5 or 6.
If you weren't hooked by World 4 then forget it (even though World 6 has some of the best galaxies in the game).

If you don't like it, you don't like it. Super Mario Galaxy and its sequel wouldn't be highly praised games if only their latter parts were the truly good ones. The first half of SMG2 in particular has its merits, and if it's felt like a chore to play the entire time for you, then that is that. You should never have to play something that you dislike just because it apparently gets better after several hours. Games have to click somewhere in the first couple of hours for them to be worthwhile to you. Otherwise you're wasting your energy.

Of course, I've heard the "chore to play" statement a couple of times and I don't really understand it. What exactly is your definition of a chore, here? And if you think SMG2 is a chore, then what about other platformers? Are you just not a platformer person?

Okay, after having played this nearly all night last night, I can finally say that:

A) The game doesn't suck

B) There are some places that make it actually better than the first game

C) Music isn't as good, lol

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I got SMG2 back in May (?) or whenever it dropped but I really haven't played it yet. Figured it would be best to finish the 1st game.

Really, the only thing I didn't like about either Galaxy game was having to waggle to shoot fireballs with the fire flower. Should've used the Wiimote to aim and fire.

Rash said:
If you weren't hooked by World 4 then forget it (even though World 6 has some of the best galaxies in the game).

If you don't like it, you don't like it. Super Mario Galaxy wouldn't be a highly praised game if only its latter parts were the good ones. The first half has its merits, and if it's felt like a chore to play the entire time for you, then that is that.

Of course, I've heard the "chore to play" statement a couple of times and I don't really understand it. What exactly is your definition of a chore, here? And if you think SMG2 is a chore, then what about other platformers? Are you just not a platformer person?
I absolutely loved the first one but haven't really found anything remarkable about the second. Everything is either a rehash of the first game or annoying additions that just don't work like pretty much everything Yoshi-related. It's the only 3D Mario platformer that I just can't bring myself to finish.

Edit: For reference, the first Galaxy is my favorite 3D platformer of all time.

ratcliffja said:
I absolutely loved the first one but haven't really found anything remarkable about the second. Everything is either a rehash of the first game or annoying additions that just don't work like pretty much everything Yoshi-related. It's the only 3D Mario platformer that I just can't bring myself to finish.

Edit: For reference, the first Galaxy is my favorite 3D platformer of all time.
Okay now this is just wrong.

Davey Cakes

ratcliffja said:
Well that's fine. The game does suffer from sequelitis at times.

I mean, I get where you're coming from, but I personally don't understand liking the first game (and platformers in general) without liking the second.

And pretty much the only decent criticism I've ever heard for SMG2 is that it's like an expansion pack (since the game is just about perfect otherwise). But to me, "sequels will be sequels" and I have no reason to dislike the fact that SMG2 basically just takes the first game as a template and expands upon it.

Yoshi just didn't feel right to me. It's been a while since I played, but I recall there being some mechanic that just didn't feel right to me, like the lack of a butt stomp or something. The hot pepper parts were extremely annoying. Also, I don't get how people didn't enjoy the ray levels from the first. Those were some of the best parts of that game.

Maxrunner said:
The yoshi parts were great....cant see the problem really...
Only Yoshi parts that sucked were the pepper eating parts. Particularly the sky one where you have to run vertically and race the clock. It is intense and awesome when you pull it off, but redoing it over and over was maddening if you missed the star the first time.

Regular Yoshi stuff was great though. Loved the wiimote aim for the tongue.

Davey Cakes

ratcliffja said:
Also, I don't get how people didn't enjoy the ray levels from the first. Those were some of the best parts of that game.
I'm totally going to agree with you there. In fact, I disagree with all complaints about motion/pointer controls in the Galaxy games.

I also prefer ray surfing to Fluzzard, but the latter isn't necessarily bad. Some folks just don't know how to handle the motion stuff. All I can say is that the ray was much more fun than the gloopers in Mario Sunshine. Tilting to steer is inherently fun in my opinion.

PhoncipleBone said:
Only Yoshi parts that sucked were the pepper eating parts. Particularly the sky one where you have to run vertically and race the clock. It is intense and awesome when you pull it off, but redoing it over and over was maddening if you missed the star the first time.

Regular Yoshi stuff was great though. Loved the wiimote aim for the tongue.
I think my biggest problem is that they actually start you out with a pepper challenge, so Yoshi is soured from the very beginning. There just hasn't been enough unique since then to redeem hum for me since then. The food light stuff also feels really annoying. I hate having to constantly eat new light fruits to see where I'm going.

Edit: And yeah, I agree that the motion control races are some of the best of each game, but Fluzzard doesn't feel nearly as tight as the ray levels and can be considerably more frustrating.

Top Bottom