• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...is the PS3 at the end of its life finally?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I want to know which year both console will be discontinued. Had so many great memories on both console looking back, I sure will be little emotional.

njean777

Seems that way. The only game I am buying on ps3 is KH2 HD. I was keeping mine for Persona 5 as well, but now that is on ps4 I will be buying it for that. I really wish Square would just package all the KH games on one disc (Like Halo) and just release them for PS4.

Clov

No, not quite. There's still a few niche releases that I'll be picking up on it; Persona 4 Ultimax, Tears to Tiara II, Atelier Shallie (when it's announced for the West)... if I don't have a PS4 by the time P5 comes out here, I'll be getting the PS3 version of that as well. So personally I think it still has a bit of life left in it.

Sciortino

The only games that are keeping me from putting away my PS3 are Persona 5, KH2.5 HD and Tales of Zestiria. Now that Persona 5 is on PS4, I really want these other two to make the jump to current gen..

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You'll be seeing cross gen JP games for another two years or more. It is no where near dead.

sephiroth7x

I think it is barring the Kingdom Hearts 2.5 remix for me...

I have about five games left to play on it before its PS4 or bust... just hoping by that point the PS4 will have fleshed its library out a bit more...

AmyS

PS3 has certainly has had a good life so far. In a generation that saw Xbox 360 ahead in sales and mindshare for a number of years before PS3 started to catch up and the 100M unit Wii phenomenon.

It'll be 8 years on the market in November. Having been revealed to the public over 9 years ago (E3 2005) PS3's R&D began in 1999, a decade and a half ago, before PS2 was released in Japan.

IGN - November 17, 1999

SCEI senior VP says that PlayStation 3 will significantly out-perform PlayStation 2.

SCE surveyed content developers when they were developing the PlayStation 2; the developers said that they would need a performance of 18,000 times that of the PlayStation in order to generate game images in real-time. Sony suggests that the PlayStation 2 is 300 times as powerful as the current PlayStation, falling short of what the content developers had wanted. In regards to this, Okamoto said, "We understand the requirement is half met. We would like to realize the goal in the development of our next version, the PlayStation 3."

With PlayStation architecture in the hands of Mark Cerny these days, and with PS4 being on the market for nearly 10 months, hopefully he won't be soaking in his tub too much longer before beginning some serious brainstorming on PS5 ;)

Personally I still don't see a compelling reason to upgrade. You talk of compelling ps3 only titles, I talk of compelling ps4 only titles. Still nothing.(maybe EDF will be stable but then you have to pay to play online) I'm not in a hurry to pay for online which seems to be the defining feature of the ps4.

Hiko

Banned
I think ps3 will be off the market within 2 years max. Ditto for 360. I just don't see how there will be market left for it. Sales are already tanking fast. There probably won't be many new games after this year either.

Unlike the ps2, the ps3 can't be sold ultra cheap in third world countries. It just wasn't engineered properly for long term cost reductions (or short term for that matter, as we saw). It still retails for $250, right? The ps4 could easily be $299 by next year, and it's engineered with cost reductions in mind.

I imagine Sony wants to get rid of the ps3 asap. They already have a casual, budget console in PSTV, if they feel like trying to tap into that market.

for these 2015 releases i don't see why you wouldn't want to play them all on ps4 given that there's a good chance they'll run at 1080p/60 fps...and if they can't get these games running at that clip on ps4 then holy shit something's wrong

however ps3 is still a baller media device and combinated with the bountiful ps+ selections i've accumulated i'll be playing it for a while

Dambrosi

Banned
for these 2015 releases i don't see why you wouldn't want to play them all on ps4 given that there's a good chance they'll run at 1080p/60 fps...and if they can't get these games running at that clip on ps4 then holy shit something's wrong

however ps3 is still a baller media device and combinated with the bountiful ps+ selections i've accumulated i'll be playing it for a while
That "something wrong" might be the fact that they (the cross-gen games, that is) are all likely PS3 up-ports, Persona 5 included. Some may even have technical issues associated with that. It's far too early to tell, though.

Seanspeed

Banned
The game output might be coming to an end, but mine isn't going anywhere for quite a while. I think it'll still be my only console for the next year or two at least, even if its just mainly used for a media machine.

MilesTeg

Banned
The PS Store sales are going to be incredible in the future. Might be worth keeping it around just for that. I mean there is practically no limit to how long they can sell stuff digitally on the platform. The 99 cent sales will be insane.

Frog-fu

Banned
Sony want consumers to move on from PS3 to PS4 ASAP. The PS2 had an exceptionally long life because it solid exceptionally well. Not to make light of the PS3, but it had a rocky start and was quite a money sink for a long time. With the PS4 selling like hotcakes though, the smart idea would be to push consumers towards it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Sony want consumers to move on from PS3 to PS4 ASAP. The PS2 had an exceptionally long life because it solid exceptionally well. Not to make light of the PS3, but it had a rocky start and was quite a money sink for a long time. With the PS4 selling like hotcakes though, the smart idea would be to push consumers towards it.
If they're making decent money on PS3's, there's little hurry for them to make that income go away.

Eusis

Actually it's taking awhile in Japan unless something changed recently. But with the ease of development and the fact each generation scales better to the next it's even more reason to push some devs to go with cross-gen rather than just PS3, a lot of what they were making on PS2 would arguably have been unsuitable for PS3 (though NISA went "we don't give a fuck, have some PS1-quality sprites.") And that was already a system that had a ton of games that looked way nicer when upgraded to HD and didn't even stick out too badly! Nevermind that the PS3 is a nightmare to work with and the PS4 isn't.

EDIT: And people do need to remember to at least glance at the OP and realize he's talking about a lack of exclusives justifying sticking around. Yes, P5, Destiny, and likely many others are hitting both PS3 and PS4. But playing Destiny for free aside they're not compelling reasons to keep playing your PS3 if you got a PS4 or had been planning to upgrade as soon as enough you wanted to play was there.

MilesTeg

Banned
If they're making decent money on PS3's, there's little hurry for them to make that income go away.

Given the lack of PS3 price drops and/or new bundles and their obvious intent last night to keep PS3 on the down low, their intentions seem pretty clear.

Compbros

End of it's life? Doubtful. Games will continue to come out on last gen systems for a couple more years or, at least, versions of them. They'll also still have a handful of exclusives like the yearly JRPGs (Tales/Atelier/Hyperdimension) until they upgrade and the Last Guardian(/s). It's definitely winding down though.

Eusis

End of it's life? Doubtful. Games will continue to come out on last gen systems for a couple more years or, at least, versions of them. They'll also still have a handful of exclusives like the yearly JRPGs (Tales/Atelier/Hyperdimension) until they upgrade and the Last Guardian(/s). It's definitely winding down though.
It's worth pointing out too that it's very likely anything not already announced may be coming to PS4 instead, even from small developers this time. Heck, I speculated earlier in here that Zestria could end up cross-gen anyway, which looks more likely given that its release trajectory isn't all that different from P5's (announced late last year, announced as a 2015 title in the middle of this year) and the fact it is a higher end game, and Compile Heart(/Idea Factory?) and Falcom are already moving on to PS4, so the likes of Gust going ahead sooner seem more likely, especially as they were one of the earlier ones on PS3 and have the backing of KT this time.

mcz117chief

I don't expect any major amount of new blood to be added into the system, but it does have an absolutely incredible library of games already, I can't even begin to think in how many years I will ditch my PS3, I still have my PS1 and 2 plugged in and I still play them from time to time.

Other than AC Rogue there's not any new games coming out for PS3 that I want, and I'll be waiting for Rogues inevitable port. There are still some games in my backlog or older games that I've wanted that I need to get around to eventually but those don't really count and I'm glad that they're putting more focus on the new gen. I didn't buy a ps4 to buy new games on my ps3.

Slixshot

Banned
After today's news, I suddenly feel less of a need to hold on to my ps3... Maybe I'll sell it? I don't know... What are the reasons I should keep it?

Duxxy3

After I'm finished with Dark Souls I may finally let go of my PS3. Everything that I want in the fall and next year are on PS4/XB1. PS+ for the PS3 is getting worse, so I'm stuck playing my old games. XB1 is getting closer and closer to the media capabilities of the PS3, so I'm not even turning it on for that.

Maybe I'll pick up GT6 and call it a generation... finally.

I have a backlog of like 30 games a lot of them JRPGs (result of mostly playing on 360 last gen then realising afterwards I backed the wrong horse) so it isn't going anywhere for me for at least two more years.

Tales of Zestiria and Persona 5 are likely my last PS3 games (aside from maybe getting older games I missed out on). I'll probably be buying Persona 5 on PS4 as well, though, because that's just what I do with Atlus developed games. I dip as much as possible.

Weiss

Banned
I bought mine less than a year ago when I heard about P5's announcement and I wanted to catch up on the backlog (a decision helped by the PS4 not having backwards compatibility).

As for new games, I'm only waiting on Kingdom Hearts 2.5, Persona 5, and Tales of Zestiria. However, there's still plenty of games on the console that I want to play, like Metal Gear Rising, Valkyria Chronicles, and Little Big Planet.

Moongazer

After today's news, I suddenly feel less of a need to hold on to my ps3... Maybe I'll sell it? I don't know... What are the reasons I should keep it?
I'd keep it, maybe store it away for a while like I did if you need the space. You never know when you may feel the urge to go and play titles that may never get a remaster on PS4. I know I will keep my PS3 if anything for just when I would want to replay titles like Demon's Souls, Nier, or Red Dead Redemption which will very unlikely ever get re-released on PS4.

On the other-hand if you don't plan on replaying older games and are simply looking forward to the newer releases and aren't really much of a collector then I guess selling it might be alright option. I've personally never sold any of my older consoles/game collections.

I feel we are almost there ... if it weren't for the backlog of PS3 games, and relatively low number of PS4 games I've wanted until now, I would have taken the next-gen jump sooner.

Oct/Nov is going to be a brilliant 8 weeks though if we're treated to GTAV, DriveClub, Alien Isolation and Project Cars ... plus I already want to pick up Wolfenstein and Sniper Elite V3!

LowerLevel

For me it's probably the opposite. I personally haven't had a reason to get a Ps4. And having Persona 5 on both PlayStations pretty much tells me I still don't need to get a Ps4 yet. If P5 was exclusive? Oh yeah! But why pay appx $300 for a system that the games I want to play are on a few systems I already own? Soon enough it seems however... I can imagine that bit of news isn't even the tip of what's to come that will be fully exclusive to Ps4.

I bought my PS4 last month because a lot of those cross gen games are going to run like garbage on the PS3.

I'm going to slowly migrate over to PC (whatever games I liked on PS3 that I can get there) and then ditch it. I'll stay PS2/PS4/PC.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
You can put your PS3s in the closet, trade them in, or sell them, but PS3 never truly leaves you.

Afrocious

I'm getting a PS3 because it's cheaper than a PS4 and Persona 5 is literally the only game I want for it.

If that's the case, then you're paying about 200 bucks for a console that you only want one game for as well as buying it at near the end of its life, whereas you could buy a PS4 and P5 for about 500. This way, you'd have a console that will be getting games for about 8-9 years.

Figments

If that's the case, then you're paying about 200 bucks for a console that you only want one game for as well as buying it at near the end of its life, whereas you could buy a PS4, P5 for about 500. This way, you'd have a console that will be getting games for about 8-9 years.

I'm going Xbox One this gen. :p

Besides, I strongly dislike what I've seen of the PS4 UI. The XMB is slick.

Top Bottom