• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So my past week certainly has been... interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrible the way they treated you. Those charges are bogus, and pretty mean-spirited. They denote a lack of understanding that one should expect from an institution.

Anyway, I don't have anything meaningful to say... just keep positive and looking forward, as best as you can.

Yagharek

Those are some bullshit charges from the hospital. You'd think of all places they would know better.

To be fair, it might be policy to take anything that's said as potentially serious. Just the same as any anonymous bomb threat is always treated as real by emergency services.

Obviously in cases like the OP's, there are mitigating circumstances.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Very interesting story, I'm glad you are OK though and are starting to turn your life around... you are a good poster that adds a lot to the discussion (though you can do without the dolphin in your avatar! :p )so it would suck to see you go. Keep your chin up, things can only get better...

drspeedy

To be fair, it might be policy to take anything that's said as potentially serious. Just the same as any anonymous bomb threat is always treated as real by emergency services.

I believe you're right. It's probably policy, and once the cops are called, someone's going to jail. Kinda like 'domestic violence' situations. Usually, even if no one's been actually hurt or threatened, the cops take the one who's acting most aggressively. Case may never go to court, but someone spends the night in jail to cool off.

Glad you're back, Kev. Keep posting, dude.

Those are some bullshit charges from the hospital. You'd think of all places they would know better.

I'm sorry he got arrested, but we don't know what he actually did to get that charge. He may not remember either so who knows. Until we know what he did you can't judge the situation. I've seen people get charged with this when they threaten to kill others, blow things up, etc. Yes they may have been unstable at the time, so people should take that into account.

However it's unfair for people to be threatened, say for example if someone threatened to kill your family because they were being admitted into a hospital. If you don't know how serious they are, you'd report it to the police. It's just what as a society we've all been taught to do. It's then up to the police to decide what charges to file.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Geez louise is my life mundane. But like... in a good way, I guess. And maybe just in comparison.

Try to get keep getting better KC

KevinCow

Banned
Haha. I got a call from a mysterious number today. Turns out it was a computerized thing asking about my stay at their hospital.

Oh, you mean the one where you completely ignored the fact that I overdosed and made no attempt to pump my stomach or get it out of me?

The one where they ignored my sister - who is a registered nurse who happens to work at a different branch of the hospital I went to, knows me well, and has a known history of being the best nurse at dealing with mental patients - and instead escalated the situation to the point where I had to be tased and restrained?

The one where, even after I was tased and restrained, my family wasn't allowed to come into my fucking room and comfort me?

The one where you guys pressed fucking felony charges on me for the mental disease I was brought there to treat?

Yeah, I'm gonna give you guys a GLOWING review!

I pressed the "Talk to a representative" button because I figured the computerized survey wouldn't have options to let me say these things. It went to a line that had apparently been disconnected.

Had a nice chuckle about that.

Who filed the charges? Hospital staff?

The paperwork specifically mentioned the guy who tased me, so I'd assume him.

Funny coincidence: I actually knew him from before. He'd worked at the institution I visited several times as a kid. He remembered me, too, probably because we have the same name... though also probably because I was there like six or seven times. Needless to say, it was not the first time he had personally (with the help of several other people, I importantly note) had to take me down while I was in a rage.

Which makes it all the more bizarre. The guy was... I don't want to say friendly, because he could be kind of a dick, but he always seemed to like me and understand my condition in his own dickish sort of way. So I'd think if anyone could understand that my screams and threats were a symptom of the fact that I was out of my mind, it would have been him.

I was even planning on visiting him some time this week to apologize for making him tase me, not to mention all the nasty things I'm sure I said to him, and maybe even offer to buy him a beer. I guess that's off the table now that I was specifically told I am to have no contact with him.

Still, I can't believe he of all people would press those charges...

...So I'm going with this. Probably just protocol. Stupid, bureaucratic protocol.

The charges are going to be dropped because I left on a 1013, as I stated earlier. That much is certain. I just wish there was a way to put that "drop charges because they're bullshit" step before the "arrest and dehumanize me" step.

It's stupid and broken. My sister, who as I noted earlier is a nurse and therefore on the inside on all this shit, agrees that it's stupid and broken. The system just doesn't understand how to deal with mental illness.

And on the subject of my sister, you wanna know something really fucked? She was once attacked by a guy who was completely within his right mind while nursing. While she was pregnant. Dude got off with a misdemeanor after physically assaulting a pregnant nurse. I get charged with a felony for getting tased and screaming some angry things.

I'm sorry he got arrested, but we don't know what he actually did to get that charge. He may not remember either so who knows. Until we know what he did you can't judge the situation. I've seen people get charged with this when they threaten to kill others, blow things up, etc. Yes they may have been unstable at the time, so people should take that into account.

However it's unfair for people to be threatened, say for example if someone threatened to kill your family because they were being admitted into a hospital. If you don't know how serious they are, you'd report it to the police. It's just what as a society we've all been taught to do. It's then up to the police to decide what charges to file.

Oh, I definitely made direct threats. I'm fairly certain the words, "I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!" came out of my mouth many, many times.

I didn't hit anyone, so no assault charges at least. I did try to elbow one guy who I saw running up behind me, but he dodged it. Now that I think of it, I'm not even entirely sure how I knew he was running up behind me. I just knew he was there. I guess I subconsciously saw him in a mirror? Huh. I seem to be kind of a badass.

Though I did spit in a couple of faces before they got the spit mask on me. I'm surprised I wasn't charged for that as well. Fuck, maybe those charges are coming separately.

Took a whole bottle of 40 Klonopin (anti-anxiety meds), plus a whole bottle of cheap shitty wine. Made some stupid posts. Not trying to kill myself. Just... trying to stop being depressed. Turns out it did more the opposite.

Fiction, who I'm Facebook friends with, sent a message to my mom informing her of the situation.

Hope you get better dude.

Round of applause for Fiction.

bjork

I'm illogically a little upset at miss Fiction for contacting my parents, but I'm also thankful she did so, because I clearly needed help, and now I'm getting it.

At least you know it's illogical. We don't all have a Fiction equivalent.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, I've had all this 1013, 1014 stuff explained. 1014 is a LIE though. Voluntary my ass. :mad:

Also, I technically took more than 40 now that I think of it. Finished off one bottle, noticed it allowed a refill, and went to get it.

I didn't realize that was a "yikes" worthy amount, though. I mean, they didn't pump my stomach or give me charcoal or anything, and I walked just fine out of the house. Maybe I'm just super badass.

You must have thrown them up after you blacked out because I asked my wife who is a pharmacist and she said there's virtually no way you would be alive after 40 Klonopin especially following alcohol unless you threw them up after you blacked out. Don't EVER fuck with pills.

KevinCow

Banned
You must have thrown them up after you blacked out because I asked my wife who is a pharmacist and she said there's virtually no way you would be alive after 40 Klonopin especially following alcohol unless you threw them up after you blacked out. Don't EVER fuck with pills.

Wasn't any vomit anywhere.

I am over 330 pounds. Maybe my being fat saved my life for once.

Or maybe I'm just awesome.

Wasn't any vomit anywhere.

I am over 330 pounds. Maybe my being fat saved my life for once.

Or maybe I'm just awesome.

I think your just awesome. I was terrified when you said you took the bottle for that reason, that its deadly to take that much. When you stopped posting I just sat there and hoped until your mom said you were okay. You definitely got a second chance here.

Shambles

Happy you're still around and things turned out better than expected. you're a good poster and what not... though I'm pretty sure the bolded isn't exactly politically correct

Lol. Never pass up a chance to let someone know how much better you are than them.

That's a crappy week. My best friend had a mental breakdown after a really shitty divorce with his ex-wife and her whole nutjob family. He ended up being arrested and institutionalized for a couple months in the states. Took us that long to even get him back to Canada. He's fine now but everyone has their snapping point where the psychological strain is greater than they can bear.

Everything went better than expected. Then things took a sudden turn for the worst and went immensely more horrible than expected.

But in the end... I think things are gonna be okay. I'm illogically a little upset at miss Fiction for contacting my parents, but I'm also thankful she did so, because I clearly needed help, and now I'm getting it.

I'm probably gonna try to spend a little less time on GAF from now on, just to do things in the real world. But I'll still be around.

Props man, you're a stronger man than I. Glad everything is taking a turn for the best, and that things are looking better for you.

Hit me up if you ever want to shoot the shit, or if you want to play something. You seem like a cool dude, hope everything works out for you in the future.

Peace.

Dmax3901

Incredible story and I'm glad you're on the mend, but I'm not sure calling yourself awesome and a badass for elbowing people and being able to swallow fuck loads of pills without dying is the right attitude :/

KevinCow

Banned
Incredible story and I'm glad you're on the mend, but I'm not sure calling yourself awesome and a badass for elbowing people and being able to swallow fuck loads of pills without dying is the right attitude :/

Calling myself awesome and badass is never the wrong attitude!

Yeah, I've had all this 1013, 1014 stuff explained. 1014 is a LIE though. Voluntary my ass. :mad:

Also, I technically took more than 40 now that I think of it. Finished off one bottle, noticed it allowed a refill, and went to get it.

I didn't realize that was a "yikes" worthy amount, though. I mean, they didn't pump my stomach or give me charcoal or anything, and I walked just fine out of the house. Maybe I'm just super badass.

Dude, you're totally Rasputin!

I'm glad things are looking up for you :D

marrec

Banned
Kevin, I gave you some light-hearted shit in that thread, but that's only because I'm an asshole. Glad to hear you're okay and glad to hear you've got some swagger back.

Well goddamn.

I'm glad everything looks like its going to be ok and I'm glad you somehow managed to make it past swallowing that many pills. You definitely got a second chance there. Jeezus.

And good on Fiction. That's the sort of shit true friends do.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

It is hospital policy to take any and all threats seriously. People are restrained for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom