• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So my past week certainly has been... interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izick

Just read the whole thing.

Holy fuck. That's quite the story, and I couldn't even imagine going through all that. I mean, I have my problems like anyone else, but that takes some real tough as nails attitude to get through and keep on going. Good on you Kevin!

KevinCow

Banned
youre a fuckin mess

Sky is blue. Grass is green. Water is wet. Fire is hot.

Should we go on listing obvious things?

I have a mental illness. I've spent more than my fair share of time regretting the things I have done because of this fact.

But I've come to understand something: a mental illness is no different from a physical illness. A diabetic needs to live his life a certain way, and that doesn't make him a bad person. I have to take some meds and go to certain doctors for my illness. So what?

I'm just happy I live in circumstances that allow me to battle my disease. I have parents who care and understand and want to help, and while the system obviously isn't perfect what with the arrest and all, I did wind up in a place that got me the help that I needed.

I've decided I don't give a shit what people think about my disease. If you're gonna judge me based on an illness I struggle with, then you're not somebody I wanted to be friends with in the first place.

And you know what? It's your loss. I've spent years telling myself that I was a horrible person because of this disease, but I've finally realized that's not what defines me. I am a good-hearted person, friendly and fun, loving and caring. This whole ordeal helped me realize that I'm a stronger person than I ever knew, both physically (fighting off several guards after an overdose that should have killed me and being tased) as well as mentally (keeping my cool throughout a humiliating bullshit arrest, to the point where I was even able to converse and joke with the officers). I have come out the other side with a clearer idea of who I am, who I want to be, how to make that happen, and the shocking realization that I am closer to my ideal than I have ever dreamed.

Yeah, I'm a mess in some ways. I'm working on those. But I'm a good person.

some sort of he/she freak?

Billie's a transsexual. She would probably be offended if I'd used an offensive slur against transsexuals, is the point.

And honestly, yeah, the first reply is right, I probably should cut back on my use of the word "retard," even though I did mean it literally in this particular instance. Habit sometimes overrides my consideration for the feelings of others. I remember it being a bit of a struggle to stop using "gay" as a pejorative, and I imagine it will be an even bigger one with "retard," but not one that I'm incapable of overcoming.

That doesn't make that first reply any less shitty and missing the entire point of this thread.

freddy

Banned
Some advice, for anyone, from someone who's been there and back again. Take it or leave it.

Own your mistakes. They make you stronger. You can fix them or at least put yourself in a position where you can learn from them. But don't dwell on them too much either.

Don't look back so much. Deal with what's in front of you. Big problems that seem insurmountable are just a lot of small steps. Put Frodo on your back and take on Mount Doom one step at a time. You'll soon be dropping that burden into oblivion and moving on.

Get out of your own head. The mind is a complicated place and it's easy to get lost in there so take a step back and let it do it's job. You're still the boss and will need consulting from time to time for the big stuff but for the most part it can take care of the smaller things by itself.

Have fun people.

Fireblend

Banned
Woah, what a story, I missed the original thread, but I support Fiction's course of action a 100%. Glad you're back on your feet :) and it sounds like you've got just the right people with you to stay that way.

I have a mental illness. I've spent more than my fair share of time regretting the things I have done because of this fact.

But I've come to understand something: a mental illness is no different from a physical illness. A diabetic needs to live his life a certain way, and that doesn't make him a bad person. I have to take some meds and go to certain doctors for my illness. So what?

I'm just happy I live in circumstances that allow me to battle my disease. I have parents who care and understand and want to help, and while the system obviously isn't perfect what with the arrest and all, I did wind up in a place that got me the help that I needed.

I've decided I don't give a shit what people think about my disease. If you're gonna judge me based on an illness I struggle with, then you're not somebody I wanted to be friends with in the first place.

And you know what? It's your loss. I've spent years telling myself that I was a horrible person because of this disease, but I've finally realized that's not what defines me. I am a good-hearted person, friendly and fun, loving and caring. This whole ordeal helped me realize that I'm a stronger person than I ever knew, both physically (fighting off several guards after an overdose that should have killed me and being tased) as well as mentally (keeping my cool throughout a humiliating bullshit arrest, to the point where I was even able to converse and joke with the officers). I have come out the other side with a clearer idea of who I am, who I want to be, how to make that happen, and the shocking realization that I am closer to my ideal than I have ever dreamed.

Billie's a transsexual. She would probably be offended if I'd used an offensive slur against transsexuals, is the point.

And honestly, yeah, the first reply is right, I probably should cut back on my use of the word "retard," even though I did mean it literally in this particular instance. Habit sometimes overrides my consideration for the feelings of others. I remember it being a bit of a struggle to stop using "gay" as a pejorative, and I imagine it will be an even bigger one with "retard," but not one that I'm incapable of overcoming.

That doesn't make that first reply any less shitty and missing the entire point of this thread.

The bolded made me teary, Kevin. You are awesome, you inspire me so much.

Verelios

Glad to hear that you're okay man. I just lurked your past thread because I didn't know what to say, but I'm happy you're moving on and getting help.

Gives hope to other people that there really doesn't have to be an extreme to life.

This is pretty awesome.

youre a fuckin mess
You're a fucking dick. Fuck off.

DILLON_predator.gif

jet1911

If I could I'd brohug you right now.

Mistake

Glad to hear you're alright kevin. I've been down a similar road myself, and it's no fun. Do your best to remember there's still beauty in this crazy world.
The charges are going to be dropped because I left on a 1013, as I stated earlier. That much is certain. I just wish there was a way to put that "drop charges because they're bullshit" step before the "arrest and dehumanize me" step.

It's stupid and broken.
The legal system is definitely messed, I could probably write a book by now. But try not to think about it too much, as it will only bring back some stress, plus it sounds like you'll get out of it just fine. You have a great family, and things are looking up.

KevinCow

Banned
Today, I drove 3 hours to go to a convention and concert that Metroid Metal is playing at. Metroid Metal, if you haven't heard of them, is a band that plays Metroid music in a Metal style... hence the name. In line with the fact that Metroid is my favorite series, they are my favorite band.

Despite the 3 hour drive, I made sure to get here in time for the Q&A panel at 3:30.

After the host welcomed everyone and the Mini-Bosses and Metroid Metal introduced themselves, the panel quickly began to take a turn towards awkwardness. I was the only audience member with any questions, and the host was clearly struggling to come up with topics of conversation.

About the third time the host asked the audience for questions and I looked around to see that nobody else had any questions, I did something that shocked even myself: I raised my hand, and when called on, climbed to the front with the host and proceeded to spontaneously co-host the rest the panel. When the audience and the host were unable to think of anything good to ask, I pulled something out of my ass, from the somewhat relevant - "Super Metroid vs. Metroid Prime?" or "Avengers vs. TDKR?" (since it was specifically a comic convention) - to the utterly bizarre - "Ice Ice Baby vs. Underpressure?" - I helped keep the panel fun and interesting to the very end.

I, Mr. Shy and Awkward, basically saved the panel by being fun and spontaneous and confident.

I swear, it's like I truly did die when I took those pills, and I was replaced with a completely different person when I woke up.

I'm not trying to turn this thread into my personal Livejournal. I'm just trying to show everyone else like me, those depressed and anxious, that there is hope, that you can change.

Maybe I should write a book.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I don't really interact with you much, but I'm glad you're doing better. I can empathize with having a One Flew Over the Cooku's Nest (sp?) experience. Stay well.

Collete

Dang Kevin...

I'm glad at least the institution was a lot better for you than before.
Glad you're recovering well, and relieved that you're still with us.

I may not be the most helpful person, but if you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to shoot a PM.

Today, I drove 3 hours to go to a convention and concert that Metroid Metal is playing at. Metroid Metal, if you haven't heard of them, is a band that plays Metroid music in a Metal style... hence the name. In line with the fact that Metroid is my favorite series, they are my favorite band.

Despite the 3 hour drive, I made sure to get here in time for the Q&A panel at 3:30.

After the host welcomed everyone and the Mini-Bosses and Metroid Metal introduced themselves, the panel quickly began to take a turn towards awkwardness. I was the only audience member with any questions, and the host was clearly struggling to come up with topics of conversation.

About the third time the host asked the audience for questions and I looked around to see that nobody else had any questions, I did something that shocked even myself: I raised my hand, and when called on, climbed to the front with the host and proceeded to spontaneously co-host the rest the panel. When the audience and the host were unable to think of anything good to ask, I pulled something out of my ass, from the somewhat relevant - "Super Metroid vs. Metroid Prime?" or "Avengers vs. TDKR?" (since it was specifically a comic convention) - to the utterly bizarre - "Ice Ice Baby vs. Underpressure?" - I helped keep the panel fun and interesting to the very end.

I, Mr. Shy and Awkward, basically saved the panel by being fun and spontaneous and confident.

I swear, it's like I truly did die when I took those pills, and I was replaced with a completely different person when I woke up.

I'm not trying to turn this thread into my personal Livejournal. I'm just trying to show everyone else like me, those depressed and anxious, that there is hope, that you can change.

I could never do that! Omg you rock so much. I would have flailed and blushed and ducked for cover. Can I start fangirling you now?

And yes, you should write a book.

Riggs

Banned
Fiction I really must say you have been nothing but a class act. I was banned for a week for a TLDR misdameanor and saw your comments in the thread that got locked. (Ugly guys w/ hot girls). So yeah your comments towards Kevin were nothing but awesome.

Kevin also you are a great guy man. Glad you are doing better. I go through my own mental shit to brother so I feel ya. Glad you are doing better bro , you are a great poster.

2MF

Knowing and admitting the problems is half of the battle.

The other half is not freaking about them, instead taking it slow.

Really glad to hear this. I struggle with a mental illness as well and while I've bottomed out a couple of times, I'd like to think that those experiences have shaped me into a better person. Keep this thread going, will be nice to hear more of your story.

EVOL 100%

I'm lttp here but good on you man. That's pretty awesome.

This is great Kevin, glad things are getting better for you dude!

KevinCow

Banned
How have the last couple of days been Kevin?

Not much. The weekend's catching up with me.

Looking into becoming a Certified Peer Specialist. Basically they're looking for people with mental illnesses and gone through recovery to help other people with mental illnesses in their recovery. Seems like the perfect job for me. Hopefully I get accepted for the training.

Also trying to figure out how to make a move on this single milf.

Not much. The weekend's catching up with me.

Looking into becoming a Certified Peer Specialist. Basically they're looking for people with mental illnesses and gone through recovery to help other people with mental illnesses in their recovery. Seems like the perfect job for me. Hopefully I get accepted for the training.

Also trying to figure out how to make a move on this single milf.

Oh that would be so awesome. I always find that helping other people keeps me from drowning in my own crap, so it could be totally perfect.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
KevinCow, I love you.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Hey Kevin, I was following your thread last time, and was surprised to see you banned.

You're a pretty brave individual for not having lashed-out at the cop with a warrant for your arrest, I mean you got all your energy back from a therapeutic stay only to be evicted from your home.

You are also patient, I'm glad it's all sorted out.

Keep trying with girls eventually until you find one that says yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom