• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Sean Spicer went to the Emmys today...

RDreamer

This is pretty messed up. As a society we want the people going out there spinning lies and propaganda to at the very least think of what that decision could do to their career. Now we have incentive to go out and be a fucking shill. Helped Spicer's career, so why not?

It's pretty disgusting, all things considered.

meh, with bush admin people still being members of polite society this aint shit

spicer's trash but he's not even a 10th as disgusting as ari fleischer is

entremet

People are already starting to normalize trump

It's over. He's been normalized. He's the President.

Move on to other battles beyond this platform/normalization nonsense. Sure, the Trump Administration should be resisted, but the rhetoric here is just silly beyond belief.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
That's fine that you have that opinion, just don't expect everyone to share it, nor expect the world to conform to your wishes there.

Reading this as a response to "don't give fascists a platform" gave me a good chuckle.

CloudWolf

I mean the nazis were just following Hitlers orders so....
There were pleeeeeenty of Nazis with their own really twisted ideas. Most of the high command and a lot of the generals, scientists and doctors were all fucked up evil in their own way, Hitler just enabled them.

But yeah, a lot of Nazis were just people doing their job. As I said before, we had this thread a while ago about a woman who was a secretary in the Nazi government (and also before that). Is she also evil simply because she worked in the same building as the Nazi high command? Even though she probably had no say in it (resign and be executed a traitor). Hell, not even all of the famous Nazis are considered bad guys in history books. Erwin Rommel is considered an amazing general and a lot of historians view him as a pretty nice dude.

I'm not defending Nazis or anything, but the real world is never, ever black-and-white, even when we're talking about history's worst bad guys.

This entire discussion feels a bit like the Death Star dialogue in Clerks.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Wow.

"Hai guys, I was a spineless piece of shit and knowingly spouted lies to the country for months, causing untold amounts of damage! Lol fuck my job amirite"

Buckle

Pretty damn gross.

Spicer isn't some sweet innocent boob that fumbled around the white house. He stood up and constantly defended one of the most vile men to ever fail upwards into the white house. He knew what he was doing.

You don't think as a republican he would vote for the next horrible asshole they prop up?

It's over. He's been normalized. He's the President.

Move on to other battles beyond this platform/normalization nonsense. Sure, the Trump Administration should be resisted, but the rhetoric here is just silly beyond belief.
The only people who will keep fighting against trump will be the minorities he targets. I don't think the majority of Americans will

I don't really have very high expectations from the Emmy's, so I don't care. Like, if you're expecting the Emmy Awards to be sort of vanguard of humanism, I think you're placing your trust in the wrong people. Correct me if I'm wrong, but was it the Emmy's, the Oscars, Golden Globes, or whatever, that gave a serial child rapist who was on the run from the law a standing ovation and lifetime achievement award?

It shouldn't be any surprise that a bunch of entertainment celebrities reach out with open arms to the press secretary for our Celebrity in Chief. Trump didn't suddenly become some horrible person, he's always been one, and his TV show was nominated for some 7 or 8 awards... Trump came and did a bit at the Emmy's in 2005. So, the Emmy's and other award shows have lavished praise and celebrity on Trump for nearly all of his career as a celebrity entertainer, and now we're surprised that they're courting a former Trump staffer?

I've never given a damn about the Emmy's and this doesn't make me give any more of a damn.

ezekial45

Banned
You say that as if Colbert owns the Emmys and it was his decision to have him on. He was just the host.
The host of the Emmys has creative influence on the show. Usually, when hosts like Colbert or Kimmel are brought on, they bring their writers with them to craft the speeches and skits.

So no, this wasn't just a hosting gig where Colbert was fed crafted bits by a third party. This was all him.

People are already starting to normalize trump

Trump won because he was normalized and not taken seriously by the media and public. This isn't new at all.

Pretty sure they offered Spicer a shit ton of money for it. I doubt he's going to be getting any work after the shit-storm with Trump.

Bro just needs to make a living.

Also, it was just a joke and that's what it was intended to be.

Zaphrynn

You say that as if Colbert owns the Emmys and it was his decision to have him on. He was just the host.

He didn't have to get a picture with Spicer backstage, did he? I don't care that Colbert isn't smiling. He could have turned down the photo. And to act like Colbert has zero clout is ludicrous. I say this as someone who loves Colbert. No, we really don't know if Colbert fought back on this at all, but he was still part of this. Being part of this, he needs to take responsibility for the effect of Spicer being on the show. And the effect was a normalization.

I don't really have very high expectations from the Emmy's, so I don't care. Like, if you're expecting the Emmy Awards to be sort of vanguard of humanism, I think you're placing your trust in the wrong people. Correct me if I'm wrong, but was it the Emmy's, the Oscars, Golden Globes, or whatever, that gave a serial child rapist who was on the run from the law a standing ovation and lifetime achievement award?

It shouldn't be any surprise that a bunch of entertainment celebrities reach out with open arms to the press secretary for our Celebrity in Chief. Trump didn't suddenly become some horrible person, he's always been one, and his TV show was nominated for some 7 or 8 awards... Trump came and did a bit at the Emmy's in 2005. So, the Emmy's and other award shows have lavished praise and celebrity on Trump for nearly all of his career as a celebrity entertainer, and now we're surprised that they're courting a former Trump staffer?

I've never given a damn about the Emmy's and this doesn't make me give any more of a damn.

I doubt anyone was surprised the Emmy's would do this. As you said, Hollywood and the like has been giving a platform to horrible people for decades. But a lack of surprise doesn't mean you can't criticize. Millions of people will see this. It matters.

Zolo

4QLwLrc.png

Zubz

Banned
I'm pissed they tried to not and this shit. I wish I could do more to show my disgust, but it's hard to boycott what you've never had any interest in regardless.

I don't watch the Emmys. That continues being a good decision.

I quit watching Colbert and all other liberal TV comedians in the past year. That has also been a good decision.

Pretty sure they offered Spicer a shit ton of money for it. I doubt he's going to be getting any work after the shit-storm with Trump.

He doesn’t deserve any work, he doesn’t deserve a shit ton of money, he doesn’t deserve to make a living.

Letting the subject of the joke in on it in this case absolves them of any guilt and blame and tells the American people that celebrity is more valuable than any other capital. No matter the circumstances by which you acquired that celebrity.

At the end of the day, most of these are rich white hosts where the bad stuff these people like Sean Spicer stand for doesn't affect them, so it's all treated as risk-free entertainment. Trump's administration isn't going after these multi-millionaires like Colbert, Kimmel, Fallon, etc.

Late-Nite-Hosts2.jpg

I honestly don't understand how this normalizes Sean Spicer and how this makes him look good. Unless you completely ignore the context of his appearance and have only been paying attention to politics since last night. I actually felt the whole thing was directed at Trump in not-so-subtle ways. Colbert wanted to provoke him, and in all likelihood he managed to do so. Spicer was the joke, probably without realizing so. But by all means, proceed with all those unhelpful and unwarranted purity tests and keep isolating yourselves in a bubble. Criticizing shit is good, but not everything deserves to be criticized.

CloudWolf

The Oscars, Roman Polanski. That was several degrees worse than people laughing at Sean Spicer though.

I honestly don't understand how this normalizes Sean Spicer and how this makes him look good. Unless you completely ignore the context of his appearance and have only been paying attention to politics since last night. I actually felt the whole thing was directed at Trump in not-so-subtle ways. Colbert wanted to provoke him, and in all likelihood he managed to do so. Spicer was the joke, probably without realizing so. But by all means, proceed with all those unhelpful and unwarranted purity tests and keep isolating yourselves in a bubble. Criticizing shit is good, but not everything deserves to be criticized.

Purity tests lmao. This just thrust Spicer back out into the public. He got paid for this and has a lot more visibility for whatever he decides to do next. This appearance will help him make a bunch of money. I think the only one fooling themselves here is you for not understanding how media exposure works.

RDreamer

"I doubt he's going to be getting any work"

...posted in a thread where he got work... in a post where you say they offered him money... directly after a big story where Sean is going to be a visiting fellow at Harvard.

Yes, he shouldn't be able to make a living at all after what he did. Unfortunately his career is just fine. That's a horrible sign for our nation and absolutely horrifying for our future.

Because most will gloss over any subtext if any were intended. All they'll see is "Spicer gets invited to the Emmys" and photos of him and Colbert posing together. Add that on top of all of Spicer's other chummy media appearances over the past few weeks, his Harvard fellowship, and it certainly looks like this figure who until recently was the mouthpiece of a truly reprehensible political administration is being re-invited to polite society. Those in supposedly "liberal society" can't wait to reward Sean Spicer for doing Trump's job of lying to the world for a chance to hang out with this cool, fun guy.

Colbert knew in advance this was happening and he probably has enough clout that he could perhaps have blocked it.

Quit letting everything slide.

So you watch...who? Jesse Watters?

Nobody! I barely watch TV these days. This wasn't intended to mean I listen to rightwing hacks just because I grew disillusioned with liberal comedy outlets like Colbert, the Daily Show, John Oliver, and others. I intended that to be read as criticism from the left, but I can see the confusion. Most of the "scathing attacks" I see posted online from Colbert and SNL mostly attack the cartoonish buffoonery of Trump and his administration while still remaining somewhat aloof to the actual, real damage his administration is doing to the country and to people.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Purity tests lmao. This just thrust Spicer back out into the public. He got paid for this and has a lot more visibility for whatever he decides to do next. This appearance will help him make a bunch of money. I think the only one fooling themselves here is you for not understanding how media exposure works.

Seriously.

Are people being obtuse because they just really really don't like the idea of people shitting on Stephen Colbert or what?

People treated Trump the candidate like a harmless buffoon. They had him on their comedy shows and covered him like an “eccentric”. They subtextually told the American people that he was in on the joke and that it was okay to laugh and relax when confronted with the idea of Trump. They didn’t realize what they had done until it was too late.

Nobody! I barely watch TV these days. This wasn't intended to mean I listen to rightwing hacks just because I grew disillusioned with liberal comedy outlets like Colbert, the Daily Show, John Oliver, and others. I intended that to be read as criticism from the left, but I can see the confusion.

No worries. Cheers!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Keep doing this. I love it. The more liberals show themselves to be this apathetic and clueless the more and more americans will move to the left.

You and all the other liberals ITT are doing god's work

Get the hell over yourself.

I think this was bad. It was stupid and tone deaf. These pictures are pretty damn gross to look at.

I was specifically responding to the tweet that literally said Stephen Colbert "believes nothing and stands for nothing." No, I am not "clueless" for saying that. That is absolutely nonsense and you know it.

The guy has had over a decade of positive influence. That doesn't change because he was part of a stupid decision.

RDreamer

Because this turns him into a harmless idiot we can all laugh at. He's not. He accepted a job where he walked out and lied to the American people. If there are no consequences for doing that then what stops the next piece of shit from doing the same knowing there's a bunch of laughing hollywood elite at the other end of it and his/her career will be just fine? No, there have to be consequences for making the career choice to destroy all of your credibility and knowingly lie to the American public.

That's the biggest thing. This wasn't some bullshit he didn't know about. He wasn't parroting some line he didn't really know. He knew he was lying. He chose to do it. We should all rub his fucking nose in this bullshit and make sure everyone knows how dangerous that can be, not how funny and consequence-less it can be...

Seriously.

Are people being obtuse because they just really really don't like the idea of people shitting on Stephen Colbert or what?

I seriously question a lot of people's motives when they bust out 'purity tests' as it's usually only directed towards liberals. I usually see it as someone trying to shame someone into questioning legitimate beliefs. Not wanting to reward the right hand to the devil isn't some crazy belief that's beyond criticism. Ulterior motives at play.

Surfinn

I laughed pretty hard at this last night when I saw it. But then I thought about how fucked up it is and how it normalizes the press secretary of the US lying to the entire country

Now it's not so funny

I seriously question a lot of people's motives when they bust out 'purity tests' as it's usually only directed towards liberals. I usually see it as someone trying to shame someone into questioning legitimate beliefs. Not wanting to reward the right hand to the devil isn't some crazy belief that's beyond criticism. Ulterior motives at play.

I understand the concern over "purity tests" when it comes to the ballot box. There's no avoiding having a US President and we're rarely going to have absolutely flawless candidates each of us can identify with 100%. Compromise in that field is something I've rationalized.

But I've probably been employing a lot more "purity tests" outside of that arena. I don't need the Emmys in my life. And as much as I enjoyed the Colbert Report over the years, I don't particularly need Stephen Colbert for comedy. I'm not trying to suggest Stephen Colbert is now irredeemable human garbage after this incident, but it doesn't necessarily entice me to want to start watching his show.

Ol' Spicy is gonna end up being a flustered dad on a CBS sitcom at this speed.

Seriously though, those pics of him hobnobbing with celebs is revolting for all involved.

Hopefully Colbert is fired for this.

I don't think this rises to a firing. But I hope he thinks about what he was a part of.

Top Bottom