• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Smash Bros. fans who have seen the new Pokémon -- which ones could be a NEWCOMER?

Neiteio

Spoilers, of course. Here are the new Pokémon, barring any further Mega Pokémon discoveries or event Pokémon:

nKGvQrl.jpg

I'll just rattle off some quick thoughts:

- Mewtwo could certain return with Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Mewtwo Y forms -- either switchable on demand, like Pokémon Trainer, or accessible via Final Smash. I'd prefer switchable.

- Lucario could return with Mega Lucario -- either switchable or Final Smash, same deal as Mewtwo.

- Mega Blaziken could also be added, repping the "Mega" concept of current-gen Pokémon. He's special enough to be the first event Pokémon, after all (special Torchic holding Blazikenite).

- A new Pokémon Trainer, let's say Pokémon Trainer X or Pokémon Trainer Y. He/she wouldn't replace the original Pokémon Trainer, although that trainer would be renamed Pokémon Trainer Red. The real question is what three Pokémon would X/Y use? Perhaps Chespin, Braxien and Greninja? Fennekin, Frogadier and Chesnaught? Froakie, Quilladin and Delphox?

- It would be unlikely, but I could see them adding Dedenne for the same reasons they added Pichu in Melee.

- I wonder if Mega Charizard X and/or Mega Charizard Y would be incorporated in some fashion? If done relative to Pokémon Trainer Red's existing crew, it's hard to imagine how without replacing the Final Smash...

My personal favorites this gen are Pangoro, Malamar, Tyrantrum, Clawitzer, Dragalge, Trevenant and Goodra -- but I don't see any of those justifying a slot on the roster. And I adore all three legendaries -- Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde -- but precedent would sooner have them be stage hazards in an XY stage.

The most fitting solution? Mega forms for returning Mewtwo and Lucario, and a Pokémon Trainer X with Chespin, Braxien and Greninja. While not indicative of my own tastes, it seems that Chespin is the most popular first form, Braxien the most popular second, and Greninja the most popular third -- and type-wise it's a nice inversion of the original Pokémon Trainer.

What do you think?

RichieJNES

Neo Member
I've been assuming there would be a new variation of the Pokemon trainer and Mewtwo with his Mega-Evo being his final smash.

DaBoss

Come on man, you should have put a spoiler warning in the title. At least the pic is small.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, sorry. I didn't read the title right.

Gartooth

Mewtwo seems like the poster boy for mega evolutions so I could definitely seem him using them. Charizard and Lucario are also possibilities as part of their character. I don't think any gen 6's new Pokemon stand out as deserving of a spot in Smash though.

Randdalf

Considering all the attention Charizard's been given, I wouldn't be surprised if he was made a playable character in his own right.

Makai

None. It's too late in development. Smash Bros games always use stuff from the previous gen except for 64 which was released late enough in the gen to use elements of early 64 games.

Fey

Banned
They haven't really been pushing any Pokemon as the mascot for this gen, except maybe Sylveon, so I think we'll just have Mewtwo and Lucario coming back with their Mega forms. Hawlucha would be cool.

With the amount of marketing that was surrounded around Mewtwo these last few months, I'd guarantee that Mewtwo will get in, possibly having his Mega as a new Final Smash. In fact, during the roundtable for XY, they joked about the possibility of Mewtwo.
EDIT: ooh, I found the quote:

“Can you go into more detail on how Mewtwo changes forms, and would you like this new form to appear in the new Smash Bros.?”

Upon asking this question the audience burst into laughter. Both Tsunekazu Ishihara and Junichi Masuda also had a surprised look on their face and appeared to not know how to safely answer the question. Sakurai was also in the audience and looked as if he were thinking, “Oh man, not this again!” after the question was asked.

After a brief moment of silence, Ishihara and Masuda answered by saying they don’t have anything to announce about the new Pokémon (Mewtwo’s new form) today, and that they can’t speak on its appearance in other games. Sakurai then shouted out, from the audience, “We are thinking about it.”

Lucario I think may be a possibility, with his final being reworked to be Mega Lucario. Other than that, I have my doubts about anything. Charizard maybe if they bring the Trainer back. But then you'd have to wonder if it'll be X or Y version. (the same thing with Mewtwo to an extent, although I assume Y would probably be the choice)

LuuKyK

Mega Mewtwo Y or Xerneas.

Neither will be included though, Pokemon Trainer will though. Again. >_>

None. It's too late in development. Smash Bros games always use stuff from the previous gen except for 64 which was released late enough in the gen to use elements of early 64 games.

You realize pit is entirely based off his appearance in Uprising now right? And I'm pretty sure that the pokemon team had mega mewtwo's design for quite some time before we've seen it, it's completely believable it'd show up in smash.

Mega Blaziken if they need more medium-weight characters, the panda if they need more heavy-weight characters, or the lucha bird if they need more light-weight characters.

More than likely, they'll probably add a lot of things as Pokeball Pokemon. Gen 5 and 6 will both probably have a lot of new stuff from the Pokeballs.

I can see Zekrom/Reshiram/B or W Kyurem coming out of Pokeballs doing attacks a la Lugia or Ho-oh, and then the stages could be based on wherever we encounter Xerenas or Yveltal at. I'd wager the Kalos starters will also come out of Pokeballs and do an attack.

mewtwo and pokemon trainer must return first, then we'll talk new comers. now lets just say for discussions sake they are already in the game, I think I'd like to see greninja because he's awesome :3 but since im strongly against nintendo/gamefreak playing favorites with starters I think I'd go with either the t rex pokemon, trevenant or pangoro :D those three are awesome

Neiteio

Kalos trainer with Froakie, Braixen, and Chesnaught.
Given that Chespin seems more popular in his base form and Greninja seems more popular as a final form, and given that Chesnaught would be a bit Bowser-esque in profile, I think I'd prefer Chespin/Braxien/Greninja...... even though I'll probably go with Chesnaught in the actual Pokémon game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I could see something like Mega Mewtwo or Mega Charizard being added as like a swap character with two forms, like Zelda/Shiek.

Mega Mewto probably stands the best chance at that I think, given his existing history with the franchise and how different his forms are.

Neiteio

How is the new Z legendary NOT dragon/poison type?
Dragon/Poison would've been appropriate given the Yggdrasil myth, but Dragon/Ground is -also- appropriate, since the serpent lived under the roots of the tree. This fellow, Zygarde, monitors the ecosystem on the surface, according to his Pokedex. He's not as strong as a typical legendary Pokémon, and his type combo makes him vulnerable, so he'll probably be UU-tier, rather than OU or Ubers... But I adore his design. So alien and otherworldly.

Given that Chespin seems more popular in his base form and Greninja seems more popular as a final form, and given that Chesnaught would be a bit Bowser-esque in profile, I think I'd prefer Chespin/Braxien/Greninja...... even though I'll probably go with Chesnaught in the actual Pokémon game.

Just on personal preference, Greninja looks dumb as fuck. Chesnaught is huuuuge and beefy, and he would mess all the Smashers up.

Just Mewtwo with a Mega Evolution Final Smash.
This. There is no one Gen VI Pokemon that Gamefreak is pushing like they pushed Lucario, and of the seemingly most popular and pushed ones they tend to be one of many; i.e. you can't have just one of them and ignore the others.

Pokemon Trainer will likely remain Gen I as well--Sakurai has already gone on record that, push come to shove, he'd rather not remove characters, and replacing all three of his Pokemon would be essentially removing three characters all at once. Not happening.

Neiteio

Just on personal preference, Greninja looks dumb as fuck. Chesnaught is huuuuge and beefy, and he would mess all the Smashers up.
I generally prefer Chesnaught myself, but Greninja seems more of a foil to all of the other characters. Like I said, Chesnaught is a bit Bowser-esque, while Greninja is a lean, mean blue next to Charizard's big, beefy orange. They'd form a nice contrast, and I bet Greninja's motif would lend itself well to fighting game animations.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
He's not as strong as a typical legendary Pokémon, and his type combo makes him vulnerable, so he'll probably be UU-tier, rather than OU or Ubers...

It's the same type combo as Garchomp, which is OU? Or are we expecting that Garchomp will be downgraded in X/Y?

Neiteio

This. There is no one Gen VI Pokemon that Gamefreak is pushing like they pushed Lucario, and of the seemingly most popular and pushed ones they tend to be one of many; i.e. you can't have just one of them and ignore the others.

Pokemon Trainer will likely remain Gen I as well--Sakurai has already gone on record that, push come to shove, he'd rather not remove characters, and replacing all three of his Pokemon would be essentially removing three characters all at once. Not happening.
I never proposed removing Pokémon Trainer. I proposed adding a second trainer. So you'd have two trainers, one for the first gen, and one for the sixth -- not unlike how Pokémon XY honors the new and old by giving you early access to the Kanto trio alongside the Kalos trio.

Pokémon Trainer Red, with Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard.

And...

Pokémon Trainer Y (the girl), with Chespin, Braxien and Greninja.

Nice foils and contrasts. And you could have Pokémon battles!

I never propose removing Pokémon Trainer. I proposed adding a second trainer. So you'd have two trainers, one for the first gen, and one for the sixth -- not unlike how Pokémon XY honors the new and old by giving you early access to the Kanto trio alongside the Kalos trio.

Pokémon Trainer Red, with Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard.

And...

Pokémon Trainer Y (the girl), with Chespin, Braxien and Greninja.

Nice foils and contrasts. And you could have Pokémon battles!
Oh, well that's definitely not happening. The number of newcomers is likely going to be smaller than it has been previously (Sakurai stating that Brawl was hitting near the limit in terms of character numbers and there have been noticeably fewer newcomers shown), so I highly, highly doubt we're going to get another character that essentially takes the work of three characters.

For SSB4, you're going to have to start thinking smaller, not bigger.

Neiteio

Oh, well that's definitely not happening. The number of newcomers is likely going to be smaller than it has been previously (Sakurai stating that Brawl was hitting near the limit in terms of character numbers and there have been noticeably fewer newcomers shown), so I highly, highly doubt we're going to get another character that essentially takes the work of three characters.
I doubt it, as well, but man would it be a wonderful surprise.

Sciz

Mewtwo's been the focus of the marketing from the beginning. That plus his status as a vet means he comes back and everyone else fills poké balls.

I never proposed removing Pokémon Trainer. I proposed adding a second trainer. So you'd have two trainers, one for the first gen, and one for the sixth -- not unlike how Pokémon XY honors the new and old by giving you early access to the Kanto trio alongside the Kalos trio.

I wouldn't expect another trainer type character at all. A, it's almost triple the work for a single slot, B, the concept's been done, and C, the idea didn't work that well in practice anyway.

Mewtwo X is stupid.

....you're taste in pokemon is stupid.... no, I'm kidding. I'd hate mewtwo y if they didn't just copy and paste its tail to his head. didn't even bother changing the color of it to match his head, it looks sooooo dumb imo. Like x better because he actually looks stronger + sticks more closely to the original design.

speaking of mewtwo I think it would be AWESOME if he has like shiek/zelda. instead of his mega being his super smash, instead he can change at will between either 1 of them or both at anytime during the battle. that would be sweet.

Top Bottom