• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your hopes for Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

Pokémon Sun and Moon were well received but they weren't perfect. What do you want Game Freak to add and improve with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, stuff that should be feasible? We don't know much about the games aside from that it takes place in an alternate world and there's a new versions of Solgaleo and Lunala

First thing to me that Sun and Moon desperately needs is a way to gain experience faster post game. With Hyper Training having a requirement of getting a Pokémon to level 100 and the only places to gain semi-decent amounts of experience being outside the Battle Tree, the Battle Buffet once a day, and the Pokémon League, Ultra Sun needs to either bring back an equivalent of the vs. Seeker, trainer rebattles from Ruby and Sapphire, Audino grinding from Black and White, Restaurant Le Wow from X and Y, or Blissey Bases from ORAS. This seems like the easiest thing for them to fix, they could make it so Poke Pelago gives insane amount of exp if you leave your Pokémon on Isle Evelup or just copy what they did in past games.

Second thing to me, which will most likely happen is an expanded Pokedex. Currently Sun and Moon have 300 Pokémon available in the dex, not including the event Pokémon Magearna and Marshadow. 300 is pretty big for a Regional Dex, but it's way less than X and Y's 454. Game Freak probably thought that this was a more reasonable number, but given third versions and sequels, and remakes tend to expand the dex, I think they will increase the number. An easy way to expand it is adding a bunch of legendary Pokémon. Past releases, excluding event Pokémon, added a bunch:

Platinum

Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres

HeartGold/SoulSilver

Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres
Mewtwo
Groudon/Kyogre
Rayquaza*
Latios/Latias

Black 2/White 2

Latios/Latias
Uxie
Mespirit
Azelf
Regirock
Registeel/Regice
Regigigas*
Cresselia
Heatran

OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire

Suicune
Raikou
Entei
Lugia/Ho-oh
Uxie
Mespirit
Azelf
Dialga/Palkia
Regigigas
Heatran
Cresselia
Giratina*
Cobalion
Terrakion
Virizion
Reshiram/Zekrom
Kyurem*
Thundurus/Tornadus
Landorus*

Story wise, with all of the references to Johto, I would have expected they'd add the Johto legendaries and add more Pokémon from that dex, but given that the Virtual Console release of Gold and Silver will be available, they will probably avoid that.

Another thing they will probably have to add is move tutors again. That'll probably happen. Anyway, all I can think of at the moment, what do you want to see?

Delio

Hoping for good improvements to movesets and good move tutors. I know they wont change the plaza so eh.

A skip cutscene or dialouge button would be nice.

More Pokémon. Obviously. I didn't like a lot of the new Pokémon introduced

PsionBolt

More clothes. Like, as many more clothes as will fit on the cart. I want to change clothes every day for as long as I play the game. And let me buy all the colors I want, with poke-money.

Chauzu

New alolan formes and other similair stuff to help shake up the metagame. Since I won't be playing this that's the only thing I am interested in.

MegaMelon

I'd say Battle Frontier/World Tournament/etc type facility but GFs made it clear it sees those things as pointless so maybe they'll add back some of the qol things which made training a pokemon for competitive battling easier. E.g. Super Training, Horde Battles.

Move Tutors
Battle Frontier or Equivalent Post Game area (Black Tower, White Tree Hollow, PWT)
Skippable Scenes
More Difficult Player Teams ala More Route Minibosses
More Side Content in General.
More Clothing Options.

sinonobu

Banned
Mega Flygon.

I'll buy 10 copies of the game if this happens.

And also post game content at Kanto would be nice.

Hydrus

• Trainers having more then two fucking pokemon.
  • Bring back gym's. Trials were dumb.
  • An actual postgame.
  • Maybe throw in a few more islands for postgame to explore or explore the ultra world.
  • An actual good story.

Type2

Revamp of the early section and the overly long cutscenes, fixing the elite 4 sequence, expanded post game and more alola forms.

WPS

A proper battle frontier style facility. Give me some weirdass battle styles please!

The ability to turn off the destination markers and also less plot. Pokémon has always been go here, listen to this spiel, battle this guy, now go here, repeat, now go here, repeat, etc., but the fact that you can always see on screen where the plot intends to ambush you next and the fact that THERE IS SO MUCH SLOW ASS TALKING ONLY CUTSCENES really emphasises the linearity and makes replaying the game a slog.

Can we get Alolan forms that aren't just Kanto Pokémon?
Made such a big deal about it and there's only like 6 lines that were given one(plus Marowak and Eggxecutor oh and of course my boy surfer dude Raichu)

Not

Banned
Why are they just doing the Kyruem thing again, but with Necrozma?

Is that the precedent now? Why not try a new idea?

JoeM86

It's a bit early to make this complaint seeing as we don't know context or even whether these are Necrozma forms or Solgaleo/Lunala forms

MegaMelon

They did it once then skipped doing a third version for XY before doing this so it's hardly happened enough for it to be a precedent. Plus USUM aren't sequels, they're closer to what Pokemon Platinum was.

What I expect:
ORAS move tutors
Better level grinding
National Dex

Dreams:
New Pokemon (alternate forms with new sprites and/or new species)
5th island (6th if you count Aether Paradise as an island)
Battle Frontier

Aesnath

Better implementation of multiplayer and other features (more like PSS)

Better story (area has a lot of potential that is just wasted; I genuinely want to know more about team skull)

Less shiny locked junk

Return of hordes or something less obnoxious for shiny hunting than SOS chaining

Related: an area to hatch eggs by walking in one direction

Shorter/less cutscenes; especially when getting starters first time.

Keinning

Better pokemon distribution
Trainers discovering they can have more than two/three pokemon
The final nail in the coffin of megaevolutions

What I expect:

Poor performance
No New 3DS support or performance improvements at all, even though enabling those things literally requires changing one line of code
Necrozma forms, the stupidest looking Pokemon since the Three Fucketeers by a great distance
The dumbest NPC dialogue since Pokemon X/Y
Gym leaders!

No, seriously, I love Pokemon games, but I genuinely don't have high expectations for this one, for some reason. I'll probably just end up skipping this one and grabbing their Switch game next year.

JoeM86

What I expect:

Poor performance
No New 3DS support or performance improvements at all, even though enabling those things literally requires changing one line of code
Necrozma forms, the stupidest looking Pokemon since the Three Fucketeers by a great distance
The dumbest NPC dialogue since Pokemon X/Y
Gym leaders!

Even though Sun & Moon has this?

DrArchon

Ability to catch pokemon even if they've called in an ally.

Fuck pokemon that constantly call for help and get it. I just want to catch you! You're in the red and paralyzed, for fuck's sake just give... oh you called for help and help came, how lovely. And then repeat that ad nauseam and experience true hell.

Don't get rid of calling for help, because it makes EVs and shinies piss easy, but do something about preventing the player from catching pokemon when it happens.

Make the starter cutscene shorter for when I hunt for a shiny Popplio. Also please remove any and all shiny locks.

Shiny locks are literally the worst thing about the games for me.

What I want:
- Easier leveling system that doesn't require just waiting for days at a hilariously slow rate or fighting the same 4 trainers and one of 5 every 20 minutes.
- Return of Hard Mode that can be turned on or off without having to clear a game first.
- Proper send-off of the 3DS era, tons of legendaries in the postgame and finally releasing AZ's Floette (maybe bring AZ himself to Alola with a few new megas).
- Different story, new areas like in BW2.
- Return of the PSS.

What I expect:
- Almost no changes to S/M's story or region.
- Past legendaries shoved in awkwardly.
- Maximum 3 new Alolan Forms, one of which is a direct counter to Mimikyu which ends up further imbalancing singles (Steel/Ghost with Mold Breaker).
- Improved Festival Plaza by adding three new store types that do things you can also already do in other areas of the game.

Nepenthe

More postgame content.
Like alot more.

This is my biggest one. The Kanto/Johto drops were an agonizing tease. I thought we'd be able to get on a boat and hit the mainland, but nope!

I also agree with getting rid of the catch lock in SOS battles. Why is it even there?

Delio

What I want:
- Easier leveling system that doesn't require just waiting for days at a hilariously slow rate or fighting the same 4 trainers and one of 5 every 20 minutes.
- Return of Hard Mode that can be turned on or off without having to clear a game first.
- Proper send-off of the 3DS era, tons of legendaries in the postgame and finally releasing AZ's Floette (maybe bring AZ himself to Alola with a few new megas).
- Different story, new areas like in BW2.
- Return of the PSS.

What I expect:
- Almost no changes to S/M's story or region.
- Past legendaries shoved in awkwardly.
- Maximum 3 new Alolan Forms, one of which is a direct counter to Mimikyu which ends up further imbalancing singles (Steel/Ghost with Mold Breaker).
- Improved Festival Plaza by adding three new store types that do things you can also already do in other areas of the game.

I'd LOVE PSS back but i dont expect it in this game.

Caayn

What I hope for:
- The ability to throw the Rotom dex in the trash and use a Pokédex that doesn't instantly spoil where to go microseconds after the cutscene.
- Reduce the "call for help", the first few times it was fun but it quickly became annoying.
- Let me throw a Poké ball when I'm battling multiple wild Pokémon.
- Prevent Hau from existing in this dimension.
- Reduce the amount of cutscenes. Walking a few feet after a cutscene only to trigger a new cutscene doesn't draw me into the story, it's only annoying.
- Reduce the amount of hand holding.
- Bring back gym leaders.
- Let me fly around freely such as in ORAS.
- National dex.

What I expect:
- Moar Pokémon forms.
- More z-moves. Only to be ignored one gen later, such as Mega-evolutions (Thank god they seemed to have ditched those).
- Fusions (Please don't do this.)

I'm gonna keep saying Kanto post game, or they'll just do another Kanto game at some point in the future. Oh and national pokedex. Fuck knows why that wasn't in the originals.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Revamp of the early section and the overly long cutscenes, fixing the elite 4 sequence, expanded post game and more alola forms.
This plus a better use of the second screen. PSS, DexNav, quick access to the menu options, all of that nice gen 6 stuff.

I also agree with getting rid of the catch lock in SOS battles. Why is it even there?
I's a Game Freak thing, either a conscious choice or it causes problems with their code. This dates back to R/S, where wild double battles were planned but scrapped, then when they showed up in D/P you were also locked from catching Pokemon when two were on the field.

I hope it's a conscious choice because Genius Sonority managed to figure out how to make it work in XD and that was 12 years ago.

Top Bottom