• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Smash Bros. fans who have seen the new Pokémon -- which ones could be a NEWCOMER?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Garchomp and Zygarde will now both be weak to Ice, Dragon AND Fairy. It's a different metagame now.

There's not a single mascot legendary that's in the UU tier, though. You really think they're going to make him that weak?

Toxi

Banned
Hawkicha would be so much better than Mewtwo or Lucario. Just gimme the Luchador, Sakurai.
Garchomp and Zygarde will now both be weak to Ice, Dragon AND Fairy. It's a different metagame now.
"Oh no, Garchomp is weak to one more type. Clearly it's amazing stats and move pool won't be able to compensate."

Smogon had to ban Sand Veil to let Garchomp into OU. He's effectively uber like Blaziken and Excadrill, but Smogon made a silly rules choice (Why not ban Speed Boost and Sand Rush?) because people liked using Garchomp.

J-Tier

It's gonna be Aegislash. Stance change all day.

Nothing from this gen is my guess. A few megaevos at most.

Berordn

I could see Charizard breaking free of Red and using Mega Evolutions as a new mechanic.

On the other hand, I could see Mewtwo returning and doing the same.

NeonZ

I feel like we'll get no new Pokemon, but some old ones with Mega forms. They don't seem to be highlighting any of the newcomers that much, and the low number of new Pokemon, lack of mega forms for all new pokemon (but especially the new starters and legendaries), just makes it seem like they mostly wanted to promote the old Pokemon again this time.

In some ways, I feel like they pretty much only added new Pokemon because they had a formula to follow.

I feel like we'll get no new Pokemon, but some old ones with Mega forms. They don't seem to be highlighting any of the newcomers that much, and the low number of new Pokemon, lack of mega forms for all new pokemon (but especially the new starters and legendaries), just makes it seem like they mostly wanted to promote the old Pokemon again this time.

To be fair they haven't had much time to highlight the newcomers! But I agree, especially since a good majority of Pokemon vets have Mega Evolutions.
Mewtwo, all the starters, Lucario, I would guess Pikachu or Raichu too

They could do Mega Mewtwo in either;

1) A Shiek/Zelda style Down+B change with different attacks (Wouldn't work IMO, they're still too similar)
2) Final Smash Wario/Giga Bowser type change (Given the increased power of the Mega Evos, this makes most sense)

Hopefully Mewtwo that can switch between Megas and Mega Lucario as well, could also see both the fossil Pokemon (both dinosaurs) be items that charge over your opponent or something.

Other than the Mega evolutions for Lucario and Mewtwo as Final Smashes (and even then I'd only want to see the one from X), not much. Just keep them as Pokeball summons, background characters, and trophies.

Gartooth

Speaking of which I wonder if a character would be pulled out of 5th gen. Zoroark gets thrown around a lot, but I just don't see the popularity of that Pokemon getting it into Smash unlike what happened with Lucario. I think N would be a crazy choice in a good way, but I'm not sure what would set him apart from Red aside from the pool of Pokemon he would use.

That isn't how it works though.

You just change into the form and that's it, I do not think you can change back afterwards.
I don't think Smash Bros. mechanics are intended to be a one-to-one representation of their respective game mechanics. Having a Mega Evolution revert back wouldn't be too out of the ordinary.

Berordn

You just change into the form and that's it, I do not think you can change back afterwards.

Smash Bros. isn't obligated to represent the mechanic perfectly. Samus never had a beam whip in the Zero Suit before, and Ness and Lucas don't learn PK Starstorm.

Given that Chespin seems more popular in his base form and Greninja seems more popular as a final form, and given that Chesnaught would be a bit Bowser-esque in profile, I think I'd prefer Chespin/Braxien/Greninja...... even though I'll probably go with Chesnaught in the actual Pokémon game.

This is actually an awesome idea. I was going to say Greninja would wreck house, but I'd love to see:

Pokemon Trainer (Kalos ver.) - Chespin / Braixen / Greninja
Mega Mewtwo X / Y
Mega Lucario

New Pokeballs:

Talonflame (Uses Sky Attack)
Gogoat (briefly works as a mount and makeshift ram - think mounts in Castle Crashers)
Pangoro (Replaces SSBM Scizor)
Barbaracle (burrows underground and throws items at players)
Heliolisk (think Zapdos's attack but with a shorter, Smart Bomb-esque range)
Tyrantrum (huge, rampages across the screen)
Hawlucha (performs flying press to spike or suicide-grab players)
Goomy (creates a slippery snail trail that traps players; can be thrown like Bonsly)
Klefki? (steals items)
Avalugg (functions as a large, mobile additional platform, tanks a ton of hits)
Xerneas / Yveltal

As for the Megas, they could always add some sort of "Mega Arena" stage where they show up in the background a bunch.

Village

I don't think Smash Bros. mechanics are intended to be a one-to-one representation of their respective game mechanics. Having a Mega Evolution revert back wouldn't be too out of the ordinary.

No they arent but in this case it seems pointless. Whats wrong with him mega evovling from the start.

Hell his super could make him mega evolve and that just makes him stronger, and then if he gets knocked out he reverts back.

And as far as GF in concerned they probably are going to want their new merchandise front and center, because they get the final say so.

Gartooth

I've been trying to think of a cool way to implement mega evolutions into Smash without it just being cosmetic or a final Smash. I could see an easy implementation for Lucario, Mewtwo would be a little difficult because he has two megas, same goes for Charizard which is probably more complicated due to sharing space with Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Anyway what I was thinking would be to make it a powerup mechanic that maybe changes the properties of specials and normals in terms of hitbox, damage, etc. as well as changing speed, aerial maneuverability, and the like. In terms of activating a mega evolution, it could be used similar to X-Factor in MvC3, where here a Pokemon can use their mega anytime during the match, however it can be only used once per match where the mega form is lost upon KO.

Village

Smash Bros. isn't obligated to represent the mechanic perfectly. Samus never had a beam whip in the Zero Suit before, and Ness and Lucas don't learn PK Starstorm.

Its more or less obligated to do what gamefreak wants though, which would probably putting the new merchandise front and center.

Its more or less obligated to do what gamefreak wants though, which would probably putting the new merchandise front and center.

Yeah, hasn't Sakurai mentioned them being very strict with how the characters are represented? I think every attack is actually an in-game Pokemon move. e.g. Bullet Seed, Flamethrower, Rock Smash

Not in battle, no, but you revert back afterwards. Hell, look at Charizard vs Mewtwo in Origins. Wouldn't be too farfetched. Plus, liberties are taken with moves anyways.

Village

Yeah, hasn't Sakurai mentioned them being very strict with how the characters are represented? I think every attack is actually a Pokemon move.

IIRC he has said that. He used the word difficult to describe it.

So my question is , why do people think sakurai can just do whatever he wants. The thing with crossover games is , with most series you are at the will of the creator or the managers. You can want something , but if who's says no what can you do? Its why I am missing sengoku bassarra characters and MH characters in marvel.

Not in battle, no, but you revert back afterwards. Hell, look at Charizard vs Mewtwo in Origins. Wouldn't be too farfetched. Plus, liberties are taken with moves anyways.

As mentioned above you, Gamefreak seems to be quite strict. I wouldn't really blame them for wanting to make the newest toys most of what you see. Also from what you explained, lucario turning into mega before the battled starts, and then changing back during the results screen would actually be the most accurate representation of that . Because that would be the end of that battle.

Ricky 7

Need this badass:
wesl.gif

Neiteio

Sylveon would work in a lot of ways, actually:

-- The Gen 6 Pokémon that has received the strongest marketing push
-- Quadrupeds can be playable characters, as we see with Ivysaur in Brawl
-- A Pokémon that is "feminine" in appearance, diversifying the roster
-- It represents the new Fairy type in the Pokémon series
-- It represents a fresh twist on a familiar Pokémon (Eevee)
-- It could manipulate objects with its "ribbons"

I think you overestimate how controlling Gamefreak is with how the Pokemon are represented, Village. They certainly are known to be more controlling, but they don't seem to be adverse to more minor liberties taken with the Pokemon, and a Mega Evolution reverting during a fight sounds like a pretty minor tweak.

Sylveon would work in a lot of ways, actually:

-- The Gen 6 Pokémon that has received the strongest marketing push
-- Quadrupeds can be playable characters, as we see with Ivysaur in Brawl
-- A Pokémon that is "feminine" in appearance, diversifying the roster
-- It represents the new Fairy type in the Pokémon series
-- It represents a fresh twist on a familiar Pokémon (Eevee)
-- It could manipulate objects with its "ribbons"
I really don't see any one Eevee evolution ever being playable over another. Sylveon is the newest, but it's still just one evolution of a Pokemon who's entire gimmick is that it has many different evolutions.

And your third and fourth reasons apply just as well to Jigglypuff.

Neiteio

I really don't see any one Eevee evolution ever being playable over another. Sylveon is the newest, but it's still just one evolution of a Pokemon who's entire gimmick is that it has many different evolutions.

And your third and fourth reasons apply just as well to Jigglypuff.
In a sense, Sylveon has been singled out, though. Lots of marketing materials showing just her, like the promo art of Sylveon fighting Hydreigon to illustrate Fairy's advantage over Dragon. It seems like they could conceivably use the character as a Smash character emblematic of the new generation.

I'd rather they go with my idea for Pokémon Trainer Y, though.

All I care about on the Pokemon front when it comes to Smash Mewtwo returning (with his X/Y mega evolutions or whatever the hell those things are as a final smash). While I don't play as them besides Jiggs, I'd prefer it if none of the Brawl vets got axed.

You guys think its a given that we will see a new Pokemon character on Friday before the release of X&Y?
Probably not a newcomer, but PT/Jigglypuff/Lucario are all fair game to be shown off. I have a feeling they'd pass Mewtwo off as a newcomer if he comes back and hence hold him off for a Nintendo Direct.

As mentioned above you, Gamefreak seems to be quite strict. I wouldn't really blame them for wanting to make the newest toys most of what you see. Also from what you explained, lucario turning into mega before the battled starts, and then changing back during the results screen would actually be the most accurate representation of that . Because that would be the end of that battle.

That's true, but I don't really think that they're going for 100% accuracy, anyways. The fact that Mega Evolutions can revert is probably enough - exactly when can be played with.

Rubius

wait a minute..are those all the new pokèmon?

their numbers seems really low

There is around 69.
"Generation 1 - 151
Generation 2 - 100
Generation 3 - 134
Generation 4 - 107
Generation 5 - 156
Generation 6 - 69"

I guess the 3D took a lot of ressource to 3D every Pokemon and move. So animating over 550 Pokemon might be the reason why there is less Pokemon.
I mean they did a Pistol Shrimp but not the Shrimp Mantis? What the hell?

Also, there is 18 new "evolutions" so it's more 87 new Pokemon.

Neiteio

wait a minute..are those all the new pokèmon?

their numbers seems really low
There are around 70 all-new species, barring unknown event Pokémon (since no one has data-mined the 3DS games). Also, there are an unknown number of Mega Evolutions -- nearly 20 so far and counting. So all told, around 90-100 new designs seems about what we can expect. Bear in mind there are at least 450 Pokémon in the Kalos Pokedex.

I think Mewtwo will be the only X/Y representation, and his final smash will either pick x or y form and you keep that form for a certain amount of time and then revert back.

Mewtwo has a big advantage with being a vet, but not having a Final Smash, so he's a clean slate, so to speak, for implementing new ideas.

I don't see Charizard or Lucario changing at all. At best, Lucario gets a color change that's vaguely the same colors as his mega form.

Barbaracle and Aegislash.

But really, it's probably just gonna be Mega Charizard X, Mega Lucario, and one or both Mega Mewtwos, assuming all 3 return. If only 1 Mega Mewtwo gets in, I'd guess Y for equal representation (because for Charizard they're definitely only going to use X), and because Mega Mewtwo Y was much more heavily marketed, whereas X was just sorta "here's another."

Platy

So ... who is the pokemon on the cover of the latest pokemon movie ?

Wasn't mewtwo and lucario choosen because of the movies ?

Top Bottom