• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what are MS, Nintendo Sony developers up to

[Nintex]

Chet Rippo said:
There's also a reason why those old projects were canceled.
Miyamoto: "Why do those cars have guns?"
Retro Studios: "What cars?"
Spangenberg: ".. call Suzy, she has.. guns... *wink*"

jstevenson said:
We are up to lots of fun stuff.
You have an animated avatar, what scorcery is this or is my cache playing games with me.

Chet Rippo said:
There's also a reason why those old projects were canceled.

I am sure Retro could make a good racing game.

They just might need a little help;)

I'd love for them to do a kart racing game but that's possibly only because I don't have faith Nintendo will knock it out of the ballpark with the next Mario Karts.

Angry Fork

Microsoft is still probably up to buying DLC like last year/year before so maybe that should be added as well.
Please spend the money on Alan Wake for PC and AW2 instead.

valentine71 said:
Yep, that is what i heard. It is an FPS game with modern setting or something like that i think. Don't know shit about it but i am pretty hyped about it. I just love KZ' s cover system and gunplay. Also i think KZ2's AI was pretty underrated. I wish they developed a tactical FPS game. It could be really great with their cover system and gunplay. Anyway, probably they will develop a CoD clone.
http://www.nextgn.com/2010/12/27/new-guerrilla-games-ip-a-first-person-shooter-with-a-twist/

I also believe they showed some concept art or something that had people thinking it could be a fantasy game of some sort with some elements about Dutch history or something.

AAK

Really wish RAD would do something for the current gen consoles. I can't fathom what they'd be capable outside of the handheld restrictions.

TheOddOne

Hey You said:
They need to make some acquisitions.

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to acquire Undead Labs.
No. Go look at the studios they bought and then closed. They fucking suck at management.

Ninja_Hawk said:
http://www.nextgn.com/2010/12/27/new-guerrilla-games-ip-a-first-person-shooter-with-a-twist/

I also believe they showed some concept art or something that had people thinking it could be a fantasy game of some sort with some elements about Dutch history or something.

From the link:

Guerrilla is on an epic quest for a Concept Artist with an architectural or industrial design background. Like a modern-day Daedalus, you will design complex environments to contain the monsters and ensnare the heroes of our flagship titles.

If they' re not smoking at work, it definitely sounds like what you wrote. Interesting.

SykoTech

If someone else is making Sly 4 and not Sucker Punch, Ready at Dawn would probably be the best (available) candidates.

jstevenson said:

Avatar exceptions made for awesome people confirmed.

Sony and Nintendo are still going strong this gen with the exclusives, but MS need to pull some good titles out of the bag at E3 for me personally.

I'm hoping a new wave of titles for my Kinect, as unpopular as that may be here on GAF. I feel like it hasn't had great support since launch and the second wave of games should be stronger.

I feel like MS need to make a final push with one or two new "hardcore" IPs though to really end this gen on a strong note.

[Nintex]

Foliorum Viridum said:
Sony and Nintendo are still going strong this gen with the exclusives, but MS need to pull some good titles out of the bag at E3 for me personally.

I'm hoping a new wave of titles for my Kinect, as unpopular as that may be here on GAF. I feel like it hasn't had great support since launch and the second wave of games should be stronger.

I feel like MS need to make a final push with one or two new "hardcore" IPs though to really end this gen on a strong note.
Well, there's the Halo game from Saber Interactive. oops spoiled it again haha

Hey You said:
They need to make some acquisitions.

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to acquire Undead Labs.

They don't really want the costs of buying/owning these studios. To buy a decent developer would cost a lot; they want to be buying AAA developers surely if they're going to. It doesn't make sense to buy anyone they haven't worked with before and don't understand (see Rare).

The biggest "partner" it would make sense to buy is Epic, and they probably wouldn't want to sell and MS don't want to have the probably couple of billion it would take to get them (UE3 brings in a lot of dough?) when they can just make publishing agreements with them and get the game as it is.

There isn't a lot of point buying Remedy or Ruffian, one game at a time studios that MS are already publishing, not to mention they own Crackdown which Ruffian make.

They also probably want to avoid another Bungie situation where they want out. So it makes sense for them to do what they did with Turn10 and build it in-house giving them the resources they need to make a big brand.

I agree they need more studios/teams but if they actually properly supported/expanded the ones they've got it would be largely irrelevant.

You can add to Microsoft's third party:

Harmonix - Dance Central 2
NanaOn-Sha - Haunt
Terminal Reality - Star Wars Kinect
Grounding Inc - Project Draco
Double Fine - Once Upon a Monster
From Software - Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor
Grasshopper Manufacture - Codename D

But yes, their first party definitely needs a kick up the arse. I've no doubt they have titles to announce at E3, but I don't think they've got enough studios to satisfy both hardcore and Kinect audiences.

As much as I liked ODST and Reach, the Halo franchise has never been my thing and can't generate excitement in the slightest any longer.

That's why I believe MS should make a push for new IPs. Alan Wake had issues, but it was fresh and exciting.

SteaG

KAL2006 said:
Media Vision - last games they made where Wild Arms XF and Valkyria Chronicles 3 for PSP

They also made Chaos Rings on iOS. And two new Chaos Rings games have just been announced by Square Enix. So, Media Vision is probably working on them.

The M.O.B

Aren't those "3rd Party" companies considered "2nd Party", its a little nit-pick but i think most are considered 2nd party not 3rd party :p

TheUnknownForce said:
The only thing is, did they officially announce that game or no?

They have been porting games for Sony thus far.

They just announced that they were making a game for Sony. So far they developed Rag Doll Kung Fu and LBP/LBP2 DLC.

element

jstevenson said:
you tease.

Tarsier Studios - making City of Metronome
not true. they did contract content for LittleBigPlanet2. They aren't working on Metronome.

We have not heard about the fabled Firebird studios, I think those guys are working on FLIGHT.
Firebird was just an overblown codename/internal name. It is the Flight team.

No. Go look at the studios they bought and then closed. They fucking suck at management.
MS has closed some high profile studios, but they aren't as bad as say EA. Most of the studios closed were acquired and had poor studio management, not poor top level management, though it has been hit and miss as well. Ensemble, FASA (their own fault), Digital Anvil (their own fault).

Aren't those "3rd Party" companies considered "2nd Party", its a little nit-pick but i think most are considered 2nd party not 3rd party :p
NO! The 2nd party label should die. You are owned, meaning 1st party, or you aren't owned which means you are 3rd party. The term 2nd party comes from the Nintendo/Rare relationship. It was a term that Rare liked to use to identify their relationship with Nintendo, as their games would never (at that time) be on another platform. Also Rare published their own games while at Nintendo. Games like Banjo or Jet Force were published by Rare, while distribution was handled by Nintendo. Games like Goldeneye were Nintendo published.
Really the 2nd party term should just die.

TheUnknownForce said:
The only thing is, did they officially announce that game or no?

They have been porting games for Sony thus far.

well they've been doing DLC for LBP2, and they still have CoM imagery as part of their website design, so i imagine it's still something they haven't officially canned.

when they gave up the search for a publisher a long time ago they said it wasn't canceled, only on the backburner.

Yeah, as isys listed, you forgot Rhythm Heaven Wii. I'm not very good with Nintendo's structure, but I believe it's made by Sakamoto's group (Gunpei Yokoi's old group) who traditionally made Metroid, Mario/Wario Land, WarioWare, and old Rhythm Heaven. Is that EAD 1?

InaudibleWhispa said:
You can add to Microsoft's third party:
The third parties listed are less "any 3rd party game" and more "3rd parties who are closely tied to the first party." So Harmonix, NanaOn-Sha, From, Grasshopper, etc. generally make games for other platforms or multiplatform.

element

The third parties listed are less "any 3rd party game" and more "3rd parties who are closely tied to the first party." So Harmonix, NanaOn-Sha, From, Grasshopper, etc. generally make games for other platforms or multiplatform.
They are games published by Microsoft. MS pays for the game they are making.

As with all the games listed as 3rd parties for any other company. Doesn't have anything to do with the 'closeness' of the company.

Independent studio making a game for a platform manufacturing = 3rd party
Internal studio making game for platform manufacturing = 1st party

That is it.

KAL2006

Banned
updated OP

I just wish Sony Japan studios improved, before we got games like Legend of Dragoon, Wild Arms, Locoroco, Ape Escape, Patapon and Echocrome. Hopefully the new NGP titles like Gravity Daze and Broken are good.

Level 5 use to also be a good partner for Sony making games like Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy and Jeane d'Ark. Though they are making Ninokuni for PS3 and Ushiro for PSP and White Knight 2 is coming out for PS3/PSP soon. But they are also making exclusives for Nintendo handheld consoles like DS and 3DS.

element

BrainZEROX said:
By the way, where's Sorcery for PS3? Was it canceled? I hope not...
Nope it is still in the works. The Workshop is still working on it. I know a guy who just started. They are using UE3, and not 100% if they were originally, which might have caused the delay.

V_Ben

Banned
jstevenson said:

You are such a tease :p

Edit:
- Relentless are now multiplatform, recently laid off some folks.
- High Impact is working on a phinneas and ferb games.
- As far as they've stated, Insomniac aren't going full on multiplatform, they'll continue to make Sony exclusives too... Maybe their new studio will get to make a new IP once they finish All 4 One, which I imagine is just being polished to a mirror sheen right about now.
- Isn't Browny Brown still making that Layton RPG?
- Think of a dev that made a PSN game back when PSN was still young. There might be a clue in there somewhere.

thcsquad

The Workshop belongs under third party, I think.

Also, what's the criteria for third party devs on this list? You have plenty of devs who make stuff for other consoles - Q Games makes stuff for Nintendo, and From Software made Demons Souls for Sony. Because it kind of just sounds like we're listing exclusives and the companies who make them.

KAL2006

Banned
thcsquad said:
The Workshop belongs under third party, I think.

Also, what's the criteria for third party devs on this list? You have plenty of devs who make stuff for other consoles - Q Games makes stuff for Nintendo, and From Software made Demons Souls for Sony. Because it kind of just sounds like we're listing exclusives and the companies who make them.

Don't know if Workshop is 3rd party, I am confused because some site list Sorcery as being made by SCEA.

As for some 3rd party's being in the list, I just put the 3rd party's that have had on going relationships with the publishers. Maybe should't have listed Codename Kingdoms as Crytek haven't had a long term relationship with MS and also many of those Kinect games.

element

KAL2006 said:
Don't know if Workshop is 3rd party, I am confused because some site list Sorcery as being made by SCEA.
The game is being developed by The Workshop and published by SCEA.

V_Ben said:
Could have sworn it was a santa monica internal joint.
You are wrong. http://www.theworkshop.us.com/
I know a guy working on it.

As for some 3rd party's being in the list, I just put the 3rd party's that have had on going relationships with the publishers. Maybe should't have listed Codename Kingdoms as Crytek haven't had a long term relationship with MS and also many of those Kinect games.
You are doing it right. This is a list of games Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft are developing or publishing. Codename Kingdoms is being published by Microsoft. It is no different then listing Insomniac for Resistance 3, since SCEA is publishing.

AniHawk

ead 5 must be tiny or have had a lot of failed experiments. i wouldn't be surprised if wii relax was or is their project. i doubt steel diver took 2 years to make when it was already a tech demo and since vittei worked on it. i find it hard to believe that it took them two years to make wii fit plus after finishing wii fit.

not sure why atlus is listed under sony. yeah they make persona games, but that team is making catherine for the ps3 and 360, and persona is a spinoff of the smt franchise, which had its most recent proper entry on the ds. treasure being listed under nintendo doesn't make sense either.

just games in development by first parties would work, i think.

KAL2006

Banned
AniHawk said:
ead 5 must be tiny or have had a lot of failed experiments. i wouldn't be surprised if wii relax was or is their project. i doubt steel diver took 2 years to make when it was already a tech demo and since vittei worked on it. i find it hard to believe that it took them two years to make wii fit plus after finishing wii fit.

not sure why atlus is listed under sony. yeah they make persona games, but that team is making catherine for the ps3 and 360, and persona is a spinoff of the smt franchise, which had its most recent proper entry on the ds. treasure being listed under nintendo doesn't make sense either.

just games in development by first parties would work, i think.

removed them
EDIT: also removed Falcom and Gust as none of their games are published by Sony, though we know Falcom are making a game for NGP for launch
EDIT2: got rid of some MS games that are not published by MS

well apparently now Sony Santa Monica is in need of third person shooter experienced devs.

isn't GoW4 still just a guess? and attached to their post about needing someone with MP experience?

Top Bottom