• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what are MS, Nintendo Sony developers up to

antonz

Mohonky said:
Microsoft's list is pitiful.

Do they really have anything exclusive anymore? Sony and Nintendo have plenty of must have exclusives and many more coming, Microsoft on the other hand don't seem to have anything. I honestly don't know how they could float a new console on the back of their software line up; unless they have a metric shit tonne of stuff they are just holding off on.
Quite honestly XBL is the only thing that keeps Microsoft in a safe spot. If Nintendo or Sony could develop a killer reaction to XBL Microsoft would have a ton of pressure applied to it

Mohonky said:

Do they really have anything exclusive anymore? Sony and Nintendo have plenty of must have exclusives and many more coming, Microsoft on the other hand don't seem to have anything. I honestly don't know how they could float a new console on the back of their software line up; unless they have a metric shit tonne of stuff they are just holding off on.

Microsoft's list isn't pitiful. It's just unknown. I'm expecting plenty of new games to be announced that we don't know about.

Mohonky said:

They have seven confirmed first party retail games and a handful of third party retail exclusives, all coming out by the end of this year or early next year. That's without XBLA exclusives (which there are loads of), some expected stuff (Halo remake, Alan Wake spin-off), their casual line-up which is bound to be revealed at E3 and possible surprises.

The first half of this year has been pitiful, yes, but the second - in which most games are sold anyway - looks just fine.

W1SSY said:
I never really realized how few first party teams Microsoft has.

I'd say twelve studios (one of those dedicated to WP7 games, so let's say eleven) is more than a few.

EDIT: Wait, there's actually thirteen, I forgot about the unnamed internal team developing Flight.

I was actually kind of looking through Sony's first and third party lineup the other day and saw that Tarsier had announced Metronome a long time ago and nothing has been updated on it for awhile so it would almost seem like they have to be working on something else at this point. It may still be on the back burner but going this many years without releasing something cannot be good.

Tarsier is working on a Sony-published game, but it's not Metronome.

klier

So EAD 4 is rumored to be making Pikmin 3. I really hope that's true, but what are the last few games made by them? Or is EAD 4 newly created?

Anastacio said:
I asked before if I could make a thread, were we have a list of all developers and what their current and future projects are - are people still up for such a thread? I just need some PMs with a bit of help. People would be able to check out the list and see what their favorite developers are doing and it's releasedate - I would keep it updated.

YES. A thread like this would be very, very useful.

Mohonky said:

While they certainly need some new first party IPs, games like Gears, Fable and Halo are big mainstream sellers. I think Microsoft doesn't see the point in doing games like Motorstorm and SOCOM when there are plenty of decent third party alternatives. They definitely need to push some boundaries and take some risks though.

Regardless, I also remember when Sony's first party was daring and would push out new IPs all the time. At the moment their first party line-up is pretty much just a long list of sequels. I just wish they'd get back to their old days and try something new and fresh. Seemed to go flat when Phil Harrison left.

French

Banned
Mohonky said:

Yeah, their line-up is pretty terrible this year, even if they announce Halo HD ( which everybody has already played ).

Monty Mole said:
At the moment their first party line-up is pretty much just a long list of sequels.

ThatGameCompany and Pixel Junk make incredibly original games and sort of function as Sony's extremely experimental and artistic wing.

Plus The Last Guardian!

Monty Mole said:
While they certainly need some new first party IPs

That's why they're investing in them. Alan Wake, Kinect Sports, Kinect Joy Ride, Kinect Adventures, Kinectimals, Kingdoms, Draco, Haunt, Codename D - all new IPs.

This is not directed at you, but the amount of misinformation and sheer ignorance about MGS and their output can really be grating, it hinders serious discussion. Maybe someone should create a thread separating facts from myths about Microsoft Game Studios.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
That's why they're investing in them. Alan Wake, Kinect Sports, Kinect Joy Ride, Kinect Adventures, Kinectimals, Kingdoms, Draco, Haunt, Codename D - all new IPs.

This is not directed at you, but the amount of misinformation and sheer ignorance about MGS and their output can really be grating, it hinders serious discussion. Maybe someone should create a thread separating facts from myths about Microsoft Game Studios.
I agree they've got a ton of new Kinect IP out there, it's just a shame there isn't any (known) non-Kinect IP on the way. Even Kingdoms has turned out to be a Kinect game of development hell. I'd love them to prove me wrong as first parties should be about trying something new and taking risks, and none of the first parties seem to be doing that right now. (Although I do appreciate that the new Kinect IPs are all relative risks in themselves).

TekkenMaster said:
ThatGameCompany and Pixel Junk make incredibly original games and sort of function as Sony's extremely experimental and artistic wing.

Plus The Last Guardian!
I was talking from a retail standpoint. If we're talking downloadable games I'd have to give Microsoft and XBLA the massive nod because nothing can compete there. And TLG is my most anticipated PS3 game by miles, but even that is still a spiritual sequel.

Monty Mole said:
I agree they've got a ton of new Kinect IP out there, it's just a shame there isn't any (known) non-Kinect IP on the way. I'd love them to prove me wrong as first parties should be about trying something new and taking risks, and none of the first parties seem to be doing that right now. (Although I do appreciate that the new Kinect IPs are all relative risks in themselves).

Kinect is just a control method, it doesn't somehow invalidate the existence of games. Most people still have this image of Kinect as a device suitable only for casual titles. Frankly, it boggles my mind how they can be so unimaginative and not see the obvious ways in which certain elements of the Kinect technology can benefit and advance even the traditional core genres or create new compelling experiences (see Child of Eden). I suppose that's not going to change until Microsoft and their partners literally show them that they're wrong and I really hope this E3 is going to be the place where they start achieving that (although the pessimist in me can't help but expect a lot of Kinect haters to continue living in denial even if that does happen).

And yes, if Kinect wasn't one of the biggest risks in itself, I don't know what was.

mr.hands

Banned
I believe Cedric W. was a true prophet:

-he foretold final fantasy xiii would be multi platform, and that the game "sucks ass now"
-he foretold the "xbox ain't got (first party) games (compared to sony), it ain't got games!"
-he foretold the wii would be irrelevant to real gamers
and more.

People laughed because in early 2008, such claims could not be believed.
Now we are in 2011, and the only interesting games (imo) for the 360 this year will be forza, and gears of war?
And the wii? I mean look at that list.

Microsoft better give some cash and beg developers not to implement MLAA and or optimize for PS3 because 'superior' multi plat was all the 360 had going for it imo.

mr.hands

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
certain elements of the Kinect technology can benefit and advance even the traditional core genres or create new compelling experiences (see Child of Eden).

And yes, if Kinect wasn't one of the biggest risks in itself, I don't know what was.

Child of Eden will not be more compelling than Rez because of kinect. It is really unimaginative if you were playing rez while still conscious of holding a controller.

And no, kinect was not one of the biggest risks: the Wii proved for 4 years that a large number of people will buy things as long as they are accessible and 'fun'

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
mr.hands said:
Microsoft better give some cash and beg developers not to implement MLAA and or optimize for PS3 because 'superior' multi plat was all the 360 had going for it imo.

"Had"? The majority of multi-platform games are still superior on the X360. The gap has obviously closed more and more as this generation has moved along, and you could argue that these days it's virtually non-existent, but for the most part it's still there.

mr.hands said:
Child of Eden will not be more compelling than Rez because of kinect. It is really unimaginative if you were playing rez while still conscious of holding a controller.

You obviously missed the last round of previews because some people clearly do find it more compelling than playing with a controller, including some of NeoGAF members who've had the chance to spend a fair amount of time with it.

But I wasn't saying that at all, I wasn't making any comparative judgements. One doesn't have to be more compelling than the other, they can both be compelling and worthy experiences in their own right and for different reasons.

And no, kinect was not one of the biggest risks: the Wii proved for 4 years that a large number of people will buy things as long as they are accessible and 'fun'

That's not necessarily true, there are hundreds of various products released every year that are both accessible and fun, yet they fail to reach anything resembling Kinect's level of success - if any success at all. But I agree that Wii was probably a bigger risk. However, apart from that, I see nothing happening during this generation that was riskier than Kinect.

Let's not forget that very few people believed in it; in fact, it was a laughing stock. They doubted that the tech could even work, they doubted that people would care for it, especially at that price point, they doubted that the software would sell and they doubted that it could be used for creating compelling core experiences. With Child of Eden seemingly achieving just that, every last one of those doubts has been put to rest.

Mohonky

Monty Mole said:
While they certainly need some new first party IPs, games like Gears, Fable and Halo are big mainstream sellers. I think Microsoft doesn't see the point in doing games like Motorstorm and SOCOM when there are plenty of decent third party alternatives. They definitely need to push some boundaries and take some risks though.

Agreed.

As Remeber Citadel pointed out, maybe they have some un-announced stuff in the works. Forza 4, Fable etc are all well and good but some variety would be nice.

I can only really think of Gears of War 3 and Forza that really excites me. I'm hoping the rest of their stuff isn't just Kinect centric, my room simply would not allow for Kinect to work.

Mohonky said:
I'm hoping the rest of their stuff isn't just Kinect centric, my room simply would not allow for Kinect to work.

I don't think you'll need a lot of room for some hybrid experiences, you'll still be mostly playing them with a controller and sitting down. That said, coming up with a better optical solution which would reduce the amount of space needed should be one of Microsoft's priorities for the next revision of Kinect.

TheOddOne

Here are the job listings I mentioned earlier about MS Family:
MGS Family Vancouver is looking for an experienced technical director to join a completely new internal development studio, focused on bringing high quality, highly experimental gameplay to Xbox 360 and Kinect. This is a role focused on managing and mentoring a team of around ten programmers, and working with the Redmond Family studio, to deliver an original IP that uses Kinect in new and unique ways.
So there are two different studios?

Digging around at more of the family job listings:
MGS is looking for an experienced software development engineer (SDE) to join our team. This is a hands-on role split between developing key technology solutions and tools, and working with an external development studio to deliver high quality, innovative games with solid software architecture.
Microsoft Game Studios Family works closely with internal and external developers to bring high quality and innovative games to the Xbox 360 and Kinect, and redefine what games can be. This SDE position is a rare opportunity to work with world class development studios and technologies to pioneer unique titles and new experiences
Must be a big partner I guess.

TheOddOne said:
Here are the job listings I mentioned earlier about MS Family:

So there are two different studios?

Perhaps, it's interesting either way. Maybe there are several studios that fall under the same MGS Family moniker.

The situation with MGS Vancouver is not completely clear either. I've seen it used as a synonym for Zipline Studios, but also as a more general name that may or may not also apply to BigPark.

Hey You

lunchwithyuzo said:
It's also now being developed by Rockstar San Diego from what I understand.
Really,you mean co-developed or taken over completely?? The one hand I'm glad because that means R* North is focusing on GTA, but on the other then San Diego may not be working on the next Red Dead.

Hmm.

TekkenMaster said:

Plus The Last Guardian!

thatgamecompany and Q-Games (PixelJunk) are both independent developers. The difference between them is that TGC used to be stationed inside Sony's Santa Monica offices, but they now have their own humble abode.

After Journey, TGC's three-game deal with Sony will be over, so for the public, it's still unknown whether or not thatgamecompany is going to keep making games on the PS3, go multiplatform, or go on other platforms.

And I haven't played much of Journey, but so far it's awesome!

Hey You said:
Really,you mean co-developed or taken over completely?? The one hand I'm glad because that means R* North is focusing on GTA, but on the other then San Diego may not be working on the next Red Dead.

Hmm.
Taken over I'd assume, though maybe North still has some input. It also started out as a PS2/Xbox game, so it's been a long time coming.

TekkenMaster said:

Plus The Last Guardian!
Q-Games also makes downloadable games for Nintendo, and pretty artistically inspired ones as well (Starship Defense, X-Scape, Trajectile). It's rumored they're also the company behind the 3DS Starfox 64 remake. Also, Sony doesn't even own the Pixeljunk IP.

I'm also hesistant to call TLG a new IP. It's pretty firmly set in an established world and property, and it's development title even indicates it's a sequel of sorts (Trico). It's sort of like calling games like Stranger's Wrath or Luigi's Mansion new IPs.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Perhaps, it's interesting either way. Maybe there are several studios that fall under the same MGS Family moniker.

The situation with MGS Vancouver is not completely clear either. I've seen it used as a synonym for Zipline Studios, but also as a more general name that may or may not also apply to BigPark.
http://www.mgsvancouver.com/

In terms of MS...

I think there will be a lot of stuff that is Kinect-able. That does not mean it is a necessity, but it will potentially be a cooler experience with it (the rumored head-tracking in Forza 4, for example). Naturally some will be completely Kinect-exclusive, but I am hoping we see more of the first.

A few new Microsoft OFLC listings, related to what's been mentioned earlier in the thread:

Kinect Me
Fusion Genesis
Crimson Alliance (developed by Certain Affinity)

KAL2006 said:
I wonder if all these Kinect games are the same ones MS said they will announce 10 new IPs for Kinect at E3
Microsoft didn't say anything, that was just a source at Eurogamer. I think it's too unclear to speculate at this point; some of these could be services rather than games.

TheOddOne

So on linkedin some new job opening where posted for MGS. Nothing too suprising, but then again this might be worth mentioning. All these listings point to a new Xbox.

Software Development Engineer (here and here):
We are small “startup” team helping to define, shape, and build the next generation of gaming and entertainment for Microsoft. Our team embraces the challenge of charting new courses, experimenting with new ideas, and pioneering new experiences that redefine entertainment in the living room to enrich the lives of our users. In building these experiences we will be leading the charge for MGS into new territories, but we will also be working with other teams across IEB to help define the overall ecosystem for next-generation entertainment from Microsoft. Ultimately this work will culminate with the building (and shipping) of new titles that showcase these new experiences. We ship what we innovate.
Also listings have popped up for IEB studios (which as seperate to MGS and other internal studios):
IEB Studios is looking for a seasoned Principal Development Manager to build a world class software development team to prototype gaming experiences that uniquely leverage the technical assets - hardware, software, and service platforms - of Microsoft’s Interactive Entertainment Business (IEB). This role will build the team that prototypes and incubates our technical strategy, validates the product roadmap, and produces content that seeds the 1st and 3rd party ecosystems with tools and technology to get a head start on future content experiences. The ideal candidate for this role will be equal parts team builder and individual contributor.
Maby liked to the fabled Firebird studios?

Top Bottom