• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, what do you DO in No Man's Sky?

Raist

Banned
*shrug* thought it'd be interesting to note that right up until the day of release Murray was actively advertising things in the game that weren't there with added GAF involvement.

12ubv.gif

mdubs

Banned
I made a similar topic a year or two ago and got a pretty unwelcoming response, seems I wasn't wrong in hindsight to be skeptical

It's weird reading this after I've played the game and stuff's happened, mainly because it goes to show how much context and details matter when you have a very scarce source of information.

A lot of that stuff really is still in the game, but the way that it's handled or the level of presence and complexity wildly changes the actual experience. While I'm not exactly surprised this is the case, I'm surprised at myself that I never even considered certain things not to be the way that I imagined them to be (as in, thinking it's within the realm of what everyone thinks to be "true" or "right"), but this is certainly not the case and it's a good reminder just how differently people see the same thing. And more importantly, how hype can cloud one's judgement. :)

Still, however scarce the info had been, and no matter how much hype the game had gathered, that small amount of info did paint a slightly different picture, I think enough to fundamentally change how people (myself included) thought the game would play.

I know making games is hard, believe me, so I understand things change, insurmountable problems arise, but things still could've been handled differently. Maybe it's easy for me to say it in retrospect, especially since I'm not the devs or anything, so I don't know.

Far Cry 3 still has some of those hilarious bullshots on both their Steam page and Ubisoft's official website, Dark Souls II had screenshots with the more enhanced lighting on their Steam page for a long while (I think this is not the case anymore, but it sure was there for a long while) and I'm sure there's other games out there doing this still. I don't say this as some sort of an excuse for anyone, it's just that there's a whole lot of issues with the industry and how games are marketed, and sadly No Man's Sky is no exception.

It's sad to see the state of affairs as they are right now, and in a year nobody might not even care anymore, but I still think this game deserves more than what people are making of it with the moneygrabbing and lies comments, and more than what the devs themselves allowed it to end up at release.

It certainly ended up being about striking a good balance of gameplay systems, and it's definitely not a game for everyone, it's just that in its current state, it's barely been a game for me, which is not something I expected those few weeks before release.

I mean, I got like 60 hours out of it anyway, so I'm good on some level, but there's a lingering sense of disappointment (MGSV is similar in more ways than one for me) as well as some hope for what the game might end up being in the future.

So I think the game deserves at least some good vibes sent out in the ether, because it pulls off some wonderful things and is a technical pioneer (well, the devs are anyway), so it'll certainly be a good lesson on the do's and don'ts both in gameplay design and marketing.

Top Bottom