• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what sells more Injustice 2 or Marvel vs Capcom: Infinity?

Eidan

Well I had previously stated that Injustice 2 will outsell Marvel so saving face is largely unnecessary. bringing up which game you or I like more is irrelevant, Until it's not. Saying one game is better or much much better because of sales numbers is also not a good measure of a game. It's a good indicator of what people like to buy and play short term but how is that better? Financially better definitely.
Well, I said MKX was much better than SFV because it offered more than just core mechanics. MKX sold better because it's a better game though. Much much better. And I'm not convinced that brief tournament presence equals short term interest in the game en masse. As has been mentioned many times in this thread, NRS titles appeal to a large casual market, and they're often not interested in tournaments.

vg260

I think I2 will sell more without much trouble, but what sales theorizing interests me more is whether or not people think a Marvel vs. Capcom game would sell more or less than if Capcom released a pure Marvel fighting game.

I think a straight up all Marvel fighter would compare better in sales than a crossover like MvC:I. People say that MvC:I could reach a bigger audience because of the reach of the MCU, but does that wider audience know or care about Capcom characters? A casual fan of movies might look at MvC:I and see half the roster cannibalized by characters they're not familiar with and/or don't care about. Do Capcom's IP really have that much clout anymore? I can't really see the MCU effect broadening the audience that much as a lot of people seem to think for a crossover game. I think after SFV's rep of being so casual-unfriendly, those who actually know Capcom might be likely to write it off immediately as a hardcore-only game, even with a story mode. It would not shock me if it didn't hit Capcom's projections.

Well, I said MKX was much better than SFV because it offered more than just core mechanics. MKX sold better because it's a better game though. Much much better. And I'm not convinced that brief tournament presence equals short term interest in the game en masse. As has been mentioned many times in this thread, NRS titles appeal to a large casual market, and they're often not interested in tournaments.
Plus they go cheap very quickly which helps get more copies into more hands.

ZeroX03

Banned
Pretty much my point NRS games sell gangbusters then fizzle out.

That doesn't matter at all, really. eSports isn't helping SFV suddenly surge to millions of sales. The tournament/FGC scene is largely irrelevant to any discussion of sales. We all know NRS games fizzle quickly.

This is going to be a pretty hilarious crow thread by years end.

No, it won't. Even Capcom aren't expecting Marvel to sell more than 2 million copies

Just because people have a bias for "single player content" on this forum for fighters.

No, the general public does.

KingBroly

Banned

Mortal Kombat, and X/XL took the Smash Bros. approach to the series. Overload people with content so it makes it impossible not to buy.

People are also forgetting that Harley Quinn wasn't a "thing" when the last Injustice came out.

Suicide Squad (movie) has turned her into a money printer.

PixlNinja

Banned
Injustice will destroy Marvel in sales. Marvel's gameplay isn't really something that has the widespread appeal an injustice or mk has.

Eidan

Mortal Kombat, and X/XL took the Smash Bros. approach to the series. Overload people with content so it makes it impossible not to buy.
MK titles were packed with single player content for a while now. There was a goddamn kart racer in one. MK9 was when the series returned with tons of content and solid mechanics again though. And NRS hasn't looked back.

One of the things that frustrates me most with SFV is that Capcom saw the success NRS was having, and somewhow walked away thinking, "We need to double down on tournament players. That's where the real money is!" It's mind boggling.

It's a shame we'll never see a Marvel NRS game. I've been buying their titles for years and I've only ever started playing against other players in the past two weeks aside from maybe a few hours here and there when I visit my brother. The SP content is a huge draw and has been for more than a decade.

DrArchon

Injustice 2 easily. Marvel might be bigger than DC by a bit, but NRS fighters are bigger sellers than Capcom fighters by a ton.

Head.spawn

Have been living under a rock? She was a thing before the first Injustice.

In the current climate i could see a Harley Quinn movie being green-lit and being incredibly successful if done right and based on the Suicide Squad actress's take.

I definitely wouldn't have said as much before that movie.

Sephzilla

Injustice will probably crush it. Netherrealm's fighters are usually really solid in the sales department. Meanwhile, MvC3 didn't exactly light the world on fire

kewlmyc

Injustice 2. Gameplay is more straightforward, there's more polish behind it (so far), and the realistic art style will bring in more casual players.

Marvel Infinite will bring in more esport competitors though.

galvatron

I think Injustice wins due to deep discounts.

The first month of Injustice's launch included incredibly fast price drops to maintain sales momentum. I think the game was $40 the second week and $20 by a month or so. Not as hard to put up huge numbers with good word of mouth and low prices. I'm guessing it'll be about the same this time. The darksied tax might end up pretty high...

Penguin

I know folks don't count is the same, but Injustice 2 being on mobile also gives it a huge leg up. The first one did good business on those devices, no?

Compbros

NRS appeals to people that are terrible, okay, good, and great at fighting games. It hits all spectrums because there's so much to do and easily accessible. My 8 year old cousin could do a cool Superman combo in 20 minutes whereas it may take hours to do an Iron Man one. They've found a good ground between casual and competitive that caters to both without either seeming like an afterthought.

AAK

If MvC:I had Robert Downey Jr. Ironman, Chris Hemsworth Thor, Chris Evans Captain America, etc. then it would be a closer fight.

Futaleufu

Without a doubt MvCI will be the better game but Injustice 2 will deliver exactly what casuals want. I read in another post "2:1 ratio", that seems a good prediction.

Renekton

One of the things that frustrates me most with SFV is that Capcom saw the success NRS was having, and somewhow walked away thinking, "We need to double down on tournament players. That's where the real money is!" It's mind boggling.
Yup Capcom and Bioware are maddening to fans in this regard.

tsundoku

Normies love their terrible MK games and wont MK12 be launching on both consoles?
MK by far
"What is capcom" "what is a japanese anime fighter" "Does this game have a block button"

They laughed their way to the bank with that capcom pro tour dlc
and really every sfv absurdly overpriced dlc

and comarketing deals on madcatz cheap shitty plastic

and tournament player morons double dipping on digital and all the dlc

Seik

Banned
Surprised there's no mod who made this thread a poll one.

With a third option being 'Thor 2: The Dark World'.

Neoxon

Normies love their terrible MK games and wont MK12 be launching on both consoles?
MK by far
"What is capcom" "what is a japanese anime fighter" "Does this game have a block button"

Mad Catz's sticks were actually pretty good. My TE2 is actually still holding up (albeit with another set of buttons & a new JLF).

Neoxon

I think to me mvci will have better gameplay. NRS games are too clunky.
To be fair, NRS has gotten better about making their games less clunky over the years & they should be commended for that. That said, Capcom definitely still has the edge in gameplay (hence why their games last longer).

Head.spawn

MK by far

I'd imagine it'll outsell SF V on PS4 and PC as well.

Shaq and Lupe can't save it.

Compbros

To be fair, NRS has gotten better about making their games less clunky over the years & they should be commended for that. That said, Capcom definitely still has the edge in gameplay (hence why their games last longer).

No, it's because they're capcom games. GGXRD is much better but SFV will be trouncing it for years to comes. If another game launched with the problems of SFV it'd basically be dead in the water. Capcom games will always outlast the competition in terms of tournament longevity simply based on their name. Let another game go through what SFXT went through and it wouldn't last 5 months let alone almost 2 years. Smash is an anomaly, everything else will always die quicker than capcom regardless of quality. If quality meant anything VF would be the top fighter in tournaments.

Injustice by a country mile

Capcom doesn't know how to do lots of good content in their FGs anymore - which sucks. They keep focusing on the small "esports" crowd when Marvel deserves a big NRS style story mode and lots of solo content.
Sadly this is true. I won't buy MvCI if it doesn't have SP content. If it caters only to the FGC like SFV or MvC3 then I'll have to pass.

Kashiwaba

No, it's because they're capcom games. GGXRD is much better but SFV will be trouncing it for years to comes. If another game launched with the problems of SFV it'd basically be dead in the water. Capcom games will always outlast the competition in terms of tournament longevity simply based on their name. Let another game go through what SFXT went through and it wouldn't last 5 months let alone almost 2 years. Smash is an anomaly, everything else will always die quicker than capcom regardless of quality. If quality meant anything VF would be the top fighter in tournaments.

So you favorite fighter is better than my favorite fighter?

As NRS competitive player I really want MvCI to sell really well and not be too far behind, same with T7.

Competition will keep them humble.

Although nothing got to do with thread title I want to add my part on the tournament scene

You are correct about the short life span, I cannot argue against that unfortunately.

Assuming it's a bad fighter because it appeals to the casuals is wrong, they always want with an easy to play, hard to master role. I'm not going to say it's better than Capcom games because that's subjective. But yet people speak on the topic like it's factual.

Onto Esports, I don't have the actual numbers but I'm pretty sure NRS games had a lot more prize money. When I was playing in ESL finals there was 200K on the line I don't know what the max Capcom put up but that's a lot, oh and bigger things to be announced that j can't say,but I2 is going to have a monster impact on Esports plus with the casuals likely to tune in.

Compbros

So you favorite fighter is better than my favorite fighter?

It's more Capcom just has a stranglehold on the FGC. In my local FGC there are people that will just be like "I fucking hate playing SFV" but will enter the weekly tournament every week. Meanwhile people are saying "I love KoF, more people should play it" and they can't even get enough entrants for a round robin. Last monthly I went to literally one person signed up for MKX and Injustice (me), 2 people signed up for Marvel, a handful for Pokken/GGXrd, and SFV was practically double all of them combined.

Injustice will probably crush it. Netherrealm's fighters are usually really solid in the sales department. Meanwhile, MvC3 didn't exactly light the world on fire

MvC3 sold nearly a million copies in its launch month in the US. There was a huge drop off for Ultimate (expected), and then Street Fighter 5 happened (unexpected)
, so now it's questionable if Capcom still has "it".

Neoxon

As NRS competitive player I really want MvCI to sell really well and not be too far behind, same with T7.

Competition will keep them humble.

Although nothing got to do with thread title I want to add my part on the tournament scene

You are correct about the short life span, I cannot argue against that unfortunately.

Assuming it's a bad fighter because it appeals to the casuals is wrong, they always want with an easy to play, hard to master role. I'm not going to say it's better than Capcom games because that's subjective. But yet people speak on the topic like it's factual.

Onto Esports, I don't have the actual numbers but I'm pretty sure NRS games had a lot more prize money. When I was playing in ESL finals there was 200K on the line I don't know what the max Capcom put up but that's a lot, oh and bigger things to be announced that j can't say,but I2 is going to have a monster impact on Esports plus with the casuals likely to tune in.
Capcom's pumping $600k into the Capcom Pro Tour, & that's not counting what the CPT 2017 Premier Pack will contribute to the Capcom Cup prize pool (for reference, the CPT DLC contributed $90k to the Capcom Cup last year). Of course, if the stuff you can't say pertains to NRS's answer to the Capcom Pro Tour, that'd be a completely different story. But as fun as Injustice 2 looks, there's just too many other fighting games that typically fare better in the FGC (SFV being at the top with the Smash games not being far behind, plus the upcoming games like MvCI & Tekken 7's console release).

That isn't to say that NRS games are bad gameplay-wise by any means, it's just that they don't seem to hold competitive attention for as long as the others for whatever reason (correct me if I'm wrong, but Injustice 2 doesn't even have a Sunday slot this year at EVO).

GKnight

Banned
I'll probably buy both...
Well actually I'll only buy MvC if Daredevil is finally in the game. Been wanting to play as daredevil in a game forever and no Marvel Nemisis does not count.

Kashiwaba

It's more Capcom just has a stranglehold on the FGC. In my local FGC there are people that will just be like "I fucking hate playing SFV" but will enter the weekly tournament every week. Meanwhile people are saying "I love KoF, more people should play it" and they can't even get enough entrants for a round robin. Last monthly I went to literally one person signed up for MKX and Injustice (me), 2 people signed up for Marvel, a handful for Pokken/GGXrd, and SFV was practically double all of them combined.

Doesn't mean much I'm one of the people who plays almost every fighting game but i consider SFV as one of my all time favorite fighting game. People don't keep on playing the game just because it's from Capcom if the game is bad people will drop it. in SFV case most players love/like it and see a great potential in it, but also it has many problems so i see this thing a lot, one of my friends keeps on dropping SFV and pick it up again every other week. He always says i have a loveXhate relation with this game when I'm playing it i feel like I'm wasting my time but when I drop it i miss it again.
There is a reason why capcom games are favored among the FGC, because they keep on supporting them for a long time, the gameplay is deep and fun and the characters are loveable.

Top Bottom